2.

My Night Star

 

I go inside my sister’s room and find her just lying on her bed and staring at the ceiling. I think she didn’t notice me as I came in. I know her mind is wandering somewhere else again. Soft Korean ballad music is playing in the background as she hums along to it.

                “Unni,” I call her.

                She glances at me and frowns. “Oh Yujin-ah. Why are you still awake?”

                “Actually, I just woke up. I have to finish my homework because submission is today. You’re not writing?” It’s 3 AM.

                She sighs. “I can’t. I don’t know what to write. There’s not a single idea in my head. And I’m getting so frustrated,” she says then lies face-down to her bed.

                “Writer’s block. I thought you’re used to that already?”

                “You can never really get used to feeling dumb, you know. And I need to finish a manuscript before this month ends.”

                “Your medicine’s not working?” I ask again then look at her side table where many pictures of one guy are scattered. Unni looks at me then at her side table. She heaves another sigh then puts her hand under her chin.

                “Lee Jinki,” she utters. “I don’t know. He can’t help me at this moment. I’m not writing about love in particular... Anyway, what are you doing here if you have to do your homework?” she changes the topic suddenly.

                “Oh, I’m gonna borrow your computer. If you’re not writing then I guess it’s okay, right? I think my computer caught a virus. I’m gonna call a technician later when I get home from school.”

                “Okay,” she simply says then lies back down.

                I sit in front of the computer and open it only to find a winking GIF picture of Onew as her desktop background. Geez! My hopeless sister.

                I’m actually used to it already, hearing her talk about her one true love every minute of every hour of everyday. I’ve lived throughout my teenage years with my sister like that. Besides, it’s the only thing that can make her happy, well aside from me, that is. I’d been sick of complaining long ago but she never stopped so I just let her be. I figured that it should be just fine with me. I get to see her most intimate side – the things she usually kept and would never dare show to other people.

                But these days, I notice that she’s not her usual self. She always tells me whenever she’s having a problem but this time, I know there’s something that’s bothering her that she’s not telling me.

I sigh. I open my e-mail and continued typing the letter that I was supposed to send last night. I need to do this before it’s too late. I stop typing when I remembered something. I look back at Jini unni. She has her eyes closed but I know that she’s not sleeping because she’s singing along to the song that is playing.

                “Unni, if you will have the chance to be with Onew oppa, what would you like to do with him the most?” I ask her carefully, trying to sound as normal as I can.

                “Hmm... I would like to sing a duet with him,” she says simply with a small smile that is playing on her lips. “That’s been my dream ever since I heard him sing for the first time. I could die if I’d have the chance to sing with him.”

                “Ehh?!” My face becomes contorted after she said that. “Then if you had the chance to sing with him, you’d leave me?”

                She grins. “Sure. Why not? You’re old enough to stand on your own anyway, aren’t you?”

                I pout my lips. “That's it? That's your life's greatest wish? And here I thought you'd never leave me for a guy... it would be okay for you to leave me just like that after your dream came true?”

                Jini unni just sits on the bed and laughs at my reaction. “As if that would ever happen. It would snow in Korea this summer but the chance of me even talking to Jinki is still impossible.”

                “You never know unni. The world is not such a big place you know.”

                “But I don't really go out to the world that you're talking about,” she counters. She always has something to reply whenever I say something. Talking about being a bestselling writer, she always has the last say. But this time I won't let her.

                “You’re still not sure about that. There’s still the possibility that he is going to see you one day, like in a class reunion or something. Then he would remember that he had a classmate that is as pretty as you. And you’re just both living in Seoul,” I say with finality then turn back to typing.

 

 

Hello Night Star,

 

                My name is Lee Yujin, a 17 year old high school student. I would like to take this opportunity to make a request for my beloved sister. She is 23 years old and is now working as a freelance novelist. (You might have read some of her works because she is now gaining popularity as a romance-comedy writer. I'm just proud of her that's why I have to mention this. :D) But despite her big success, I know that she's not quite happy. =[

                There are only the two of us in this world who can look after each other and being the big sister that she is, she has shouldered the heavy responsibility of raising me up since I was 11. If you can just imagine a 17 year old girl who have tried all types of part-time jobs so that she’d be able to feed and educate the both of us, you’d be surprised. Yet not even once did I hear her complain about it.

                My sister is the most precious person to me so I want to make her happy. But I know that the only thing, rather, the only one who can make her truly happy is beyond her reach. She has been loving one person faithfully for over ten years; I believe since she was in middle school. He was her classmate throughout her entire middle school and high school but because of my sister's personality, she believes that he won't remember her nor did he ever recognize her existence. Especially now that that boy became a very famous idol not only in the country but also internationally as well, she said that she has accepted long ago the fact that she is just one of those fangirls who has no chance of even talking to him. But despite her saying that, she never tried looking at other guys, she never had a boyfriend, and she never stopped admiring him, even from afar. He's even her inspiration in most of her novels.

                I knew that Night Star is trying to make it's viewers wishes come true and even though this wish might seem the most absurd of all, I'm still taking a risk. Ever since I found out that Onew-ssi is an MC in this program, I've always wanted to write this letter. I saw my chance to make my sister happy.

                If Onew-ssi  would have the chance to read this letter, I like to ask him if he remembers a girl named Lee Jini. That's the name of my sister. If he does remember her, I hope that he would have the heart to meet her... and maybe sing a duet with her. You won't regret a decision to take notice of this letter once you hear her sing. She has a golden voice and I am very confident that she can sing a lot better than other idols in Korea. :P

                I won't ask for more. Just that chance for her to meet him.

                To make my story more legible, you can search for the name of my sister online together with a few titles of her novels.... I think that she fits this program so much since she's also nocturnal. ^_^

                Uhmm... I think I better stop right here. Unni is already going to kill me for writing in this program in the first place, much more if she learned that I spilled her precious secrets to the person who has the most right to know them, she might never talk to me anymore or worse, she might not give me my allowance anymore... T_T

 

                In any case, you can just treat this letter as one of those fanmails I know you receive everyday though I'm still hoping that Onew-ssi is as kind hearted as what my unni always says.

 

Hoping,

Lee Yujin

 

 

“Sorry unni... I just want you to be happy. I might regret this later but... it's better than nothing. I know you will never do anything to pursue him on your own so I'll do it for you,” I whisper as I sent my letter to the Night Star website.

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: Please don't ask for fast updates because I'm very busy at the moment... and also very lazy... ^.~