This Is My Life

Behind Our Smiles

This is sort of from the point of view of Chen, even though the story's written in 3rd person. It starts all the way back in Chapter 1, during the beginning of the school year and up through the current chaper. Some of the dialogue is cut so I didn't write it again and some of his thoughts and feelings from before weren't included, also.

 

 

Chen woke up in the morning. He didn’t want to be late for his first day at his new school. He thought it would wrong if he gave them the impression of him just being somebody that was always late and didn’t care about anything. Chen couldn’t afford to have that type of image. He cared about what teachers thought of him, maybe not so much the students, but he wanted to be a good student that was highly thought of by the teachers. That’s what he strove to be.

            After doing his normal routine, Chen started dressing in his uniform. It would be the first time that he was ever putting on such a uniform and he thought about the past experiences that he went through in order to achieve it.

            Chen slipped into his khaki pants and white button down dress shirt along with the navy blue jacket and the navy blue tie. He was nervous and his hands were slightly shaking, although he attempted to hide that best as possible as he made his way downstairs.

            Skipping breakfast and after making his lunch, Chen made his way to the door, but not before he stopped by a picture that was sitting on the table in the living room. He made it a point to greet it every day, even if some people found it strange. “Hello,” he whispered to it as he put on his shoes. “I’ll do good today, I’ll make you proud.” After settling his shoes, Chen made his way to school.

            He walked slowly to school not wanting to run into any trouble on the first day. Chen figured that he could be a little late because he was the new student after all. Honestly, he didn’t know what to expect on the first day. Would the teachers make him introduce himself or would they think that he’s too old for that? Chen read somewhere that the teachers had everything preplanned, that the seating charts and classes were preplanned and the students just found their own seat on the first day. Would he do the same?

            As he continued walking, Chen told himself not to worry about such things. He figured that it would be useless freaking himself out on the first day when there would probably be nothing to worry about. He didn’t know why he was asking himself so many questions like it was going to be the end of his life.

            Nearing the school grounds, Chen saw the students with their rich and fancy cars and drivers, not to mention their bags and shoes, too. Chen didn’t know why they just didn’t walk in order to help the environment instead of having big fancy cars that were probably too big for them to even notice or care about. Out of the corner of his eye, Chen noticed a slightly rundown car and thought that it was different than the rest.

            Chen stood there staring at the car and noticed the girl that jumped out. She didn’t seem like a normal type of girl and he was slightly curious about her, except he thought that it would seem strange if he were to just approach her. He was the new student there and he didn’t even know what grade the girl was in or the class. He figured that he would have to wait to see if their paths crossed again. Taking a deep breath, he slowly walked into the school and followed the crowd that was walking towards the bulletin board.

            Dumbfounded, Chen stood in front of the board and stared at it as he attempted to find his name and where he was. He observed other students first and saw how they found their names and then grabbed the paper that was in the folder next to it and he ended up doing the same, after reading every board on the wall, despite the different grades. Finally, Chen found his own name and took the paper out of the folder to find that it was a seating chart. As he walked to find his room, Chen was also attempting to find his own name in the seating chart. He found his name sitting next to some girl named Ellie. He wondered if it would be the girl from earlier. Somehow she seemed different than the rest and he thought that she might be a good friend to make on the first day compared with everyone else who only seemed to care about money. He wasn’t interested in that type of stuff.

            By the time Chen found his classroom, he saw Ellie sitting in her seat. He looked back and forth at the seating chart and the table a thousand times to make sure that he wasn’t wrong and that was indeed his seat and it was the girl from earlier that he saw coming out of the car.

            Hesitantly, he took a seat next to Ellie who didn’t seem to notice his presence. He didn’t mind, though. He was the new kid, what presence was he going to have in the school? It was his senior year, somehow he was regretting his decision to come already, but he knew that he couldn’t go back on it, he had promised.

            Chen found himself sitting through boring classes and found the teacher explaining a semester long project. It seemed like all of the students were already familiar with the process of the project and it seemed like he would have to work with Ellie for about every single one of them, not that he was complaining, but he wondered what it would happen somehow they didn’t get along with one another.

            “You all know this is a photography class, right?” the teacher asked them.

            “Yes,” the students replied in harmony, besides Chen. He wasn’t one for answering in groups. He didn’t want to bring attention to himself and he noticed Ellie take a glance at him before turning back to face front. Feeling confused, he decided not to think too much about it because he would end up over thinking all of the different reasons why Ellie had looked at him.

            “For your semester long project,” the teacher continued, “you will obviously be working with your seating partners. For this assignment, I want you to capture the most beautiful thing you possibly can. It can be anywhere in the world and it can be anything. I want you guys to think long and hard about this project. I’ll leave the remaining ten minutes for you to discuss with your partners.”

            The teacher then left the room and Chen was surprised that he would just do that. He was leaving the rest of the time to talk about the project? Chen glanced over at Ellie to see who would start speaking first and he found her talking to herself. “Weirdo,” Chen muttered under his breath as Ellie had tapped his shoulder making him turn around to face her.

            “Hello, you must be Chen,” Ellie said sticking her hand out. Chen simply stared at Ellie’s hand and then back at her. “I’m Ellie. I hope we work together in the future.”

            “Yeah, I hope so,” Chen muttered without shaking Ellie’s hand. For the rest of the time he didn’t say anything. He didn’t say anything for the rest of the class and he wondered why. Ellie was attempting to be nice to him, but he was blowing his chance by not responding back to her in any way. He wondered if this was how everyone at the school was like but then shook himself back into reality. No way would they be that nice.

            Soon, it was lunchtime and Chen found himself pulling out his lunchbox right in class. He looked around and it seemed like everyone was going to go to the cafeteria for lunch, although he didn’t know why. He preferred home cooked food rather than premade things made by who knows who.

            “Ellie, our usual table?” a girl asked going up to Ellie.

           “Yeah, of course,” Ellie said acting excited. Chen noticed her unusual reaction from before when she was sitting in class, but when Ellie caught him looking at her, he quickly turned his attention away. “You…you pack your lunch?” she asked pointing at the lunchbox. Chen didn’t respond. What would he say? He always packed his lunchbox since he found cafeteria food to be disgusting and liked the home cooked food. Would he say something like that? “Are you ever going to respond to me?”

            “Are you ever going to tell her the truth?” Chen asked. He didn’t know why something like that had come out of his mouth.

            “What do you mean?” Ellie asked.

            “That girl over there,” he said pointing at the door where she just walked through. “You clearly don’t like her, do you.”

            Ellie started at Chen in disbelief. “How did you,” she began but shook her head. “You know what, never mind. I’m just going to go to lunch.” Ellie left the room leaving Chen in there by himself. He didn’t know that he was going to end up eating lunch alone on the first day, although he kind of planned on it happening. Although, he didn’t spend his lunch alone for long. Thinking that he should engage in a conversation with Ellie in attempt to restart a friendship, since they were going to be partners for every single project, he made his way towards he cafeteria.

            During lunch, Chen was quite surprised when the girl had invited him over to Ellie’s house. He wasn’t sure why he accepted, it just happened. The car ride with Ellie and her friend Kris was slightly awkward. Somehow it seemed like Kris was able to see right through him. Would he be able to detect something amiss? It was even more awkward for him when Ellie was changing, he was left alone.

            “So, you go to the school?” Kris asked as he attempted to start a casual conversation.

            “Yeah,” Chen awkwardly said. He wasn’t very comfortable with the topic. “I just transferred this year.” Instead of paying attention to the conversation at hand, Chen looked around the interior of the house hoping that it would get Kris to stop talking to him. That and he was actually admiring the interior of the house. He would’ve expected nothing less.

            “Wow, then you must be really smart or your family must be really rich,” Kris reasoned.

            “Yeah,” Chen awkwardly said hoping to still get off of the conversation, but thankfully, Ellie came down and save him.

            Ellie had brought Kris to the back room and they started a conversation with each other. He wasn’t sure the purpose of the conversation or why they were even talking, but he knew that he didn’t want to answer any question about himself. People at his old school said that he was mysterious since he still never shared anything then. It wasn’t like he tried to be mysterious, it just happened. Chen hated personal questions.

            “It’s getting late,” Chen said as he checked his watch.

            “I’ll have Kris give you a ride home,” Ellie suggested.

            “No thanks, I can just take a taxi. I wouldn’t want to burden him and I mean it,” he said as he stood up. “I can call one.”

            “Um…okay,” Ellie hesitantly said as she stood up.

            They both left the backroom and walked towards the living room where Kris was watching television. Chen wondered what Kris’s relation to Ellie was. It was clearly evident that Kris cared for Ellie and it was clearly evident that Ellie didn’t know about Kris’s feelings towards her. How long Kris was holding those feelings inside was a mystery to Chen.

            “Are you leaving?” Kris asked.

            “Yeah, I’m going to take a cab, no need to drive me home, I’m alright,” Chen said.

            “I could take you if you wanted.”

            “No, you should stay here with Ellie; it’s not safe for a girl to be home alone at this hour.” Chen wasn’t sure where he had pulled that line out of, but it made him seem smarter. He just didn’t want anyone to give him a ride home. He wasn’t comfortable with showing people his home, he was perfectly fine going alone. It was always that way anyway.

            “Give me your cell phone, here’s mine,” Ellie said handing over her cell phone to Chen for him to put his number into.

            “Okay, I’ll tell you when I get home,” Chen said. “I’ll get going now, see you tomorrow.” Chen called the taxi and got into it before he breathed a sigh of relief. He thought that he was going to suffocate at Ellie’s house but he wasn’t sure why.

            After Chen paid the taxi driver, he made his way into his lonely and empty house. “I’m home,” he said, but his voice just echoed, there was nothing. Sighing, he decided to go to upstairs to his room and attempt to get some sleep before school the following day. That’s when he heard the smashing after smashing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is going to happen now that Chen has woken up? What school did Chen attend before? Will Ellie ever break into Chen's mysterious past? Why was Chen admitted to the hospital?

 

Here is Chapter 6. Hope you enjoyed :D

 

It actually took me a little bit longer to write this because I was attempting not to reveal too much about Chen's lifestyle, haha. Every word that described him when he was at home or his thoughts that weren't included in other chapters were carefully picked :)

 

Renezi27: I'm not sure if it'll be that amazing, but slowly, like in this chapter, things about his past and lifestyle will slowly come undone.