The Jerk

The Secret Life of an American Student in Korea

“OI! You guys! Get over here!”, Jun Ki yelled to the figures approaching.

 

As I stare at the five figures approaching me, I finally see their faces. I proceed to go into shock.

 

No. Way. In. Heck.

 

I couldn't believe it. My first group was going to be SHINee?!

 

As my mind try stop my body from freaking out, I remember to at least show some respect and say hello.

 

“Hello”, I say timidly under my breath as they get closer.

 

“Hey Lee-ssi, so where's this new director-songwriter person? Did you get a new assistant? This one doesn't look as pretty as the other one”

 

I look up from the floor to see Min Ho finish this hurtful statement in Korean, not realizing that I had been learning the language for four years.

 

“You guys, I would like to introduce you to Naomi Nowak, she will be writing your next song and will also be directing your music video. Introduce yourself”, he said, directing his last episode towards me.

 

“Oh, Ahnnyeonghaseyo, Naomi ibnida” (Oh, hello, I'm Naomi), I greet with a 90° bow.

 

***All spoken dialogue from here on, unless otherwise indicated, is spoken in Korean, but for the sake of the story is translated***

 

“Omo! You can speak Korean?!”, exclaims Taemin. Minho's face flushes.

 

“Why don't you guys introduce yourselves instead of staring”, Jun Ki tells them.

 

“Hello, we are shining SHINee”, they do their introduction, almost causing me to go into full fangirl mode, but I keep my cool.

 

“My name is Onew, I am the leader. It's a pleasure to meet you.”

 

“My name is Jonghyun, I'm in charge of vocals.”

 

“My name is Key, I'm in charge of the rap. I really look forward to working with you.”

 

“My name is Taemin. I'm the youngest. If you have any questions about anything just ask me.”

 

Onew looks at Minho who just continues to stare off into the distance, “This guy is Minho, he's in charge of charisma”.

 

Or being a jerk, I think to myself.

 

“So you speak Korean?”, Taemin asks me.

 

“Y-yes, I've been learning from a website and practicing in K-Town in New York for a few years now. I'm almost fluent.”

 

“Darn, and I was hoping this would be a good chance to be able to practice my English with someone”, Key says disappointingly, frowning all the while.

 

“Well, I can still help you with it, if you'd be willing to help me with my Korean, too”, I say in English, immediately cheering him up.

 

“Really!? Thank you!!”, he squeals, almost running at me to give me a hug but successfully intercepted by his leader.

 

“I am assuming since you didn't react the way most girls do when they see us, that you're not a huge fan of us then? Do you even know who we are?”, Onew said almost matter-of-factly.

 

“I actually love your music. Especially Last Gift from your first album. I just am not the type of person to freak out in front of people.”

 

I glance over at Minho, who was actually looking at me, but as soon as our gazes connect, he turns away.

 

“Oh, well, I'm glad you like our music. Do you have anything to say to her Minho? Maybe regarding something you said earlier?”, he says nudging Minho.

 

I look at him, maybe hoping something, anything except what he said next.

 

“Why? It's not like I have to be nice to her anyway.”

 

“You are such a rude person, hyung. Don't mind him, Naomi-ssi”, Taemin says caringly.

 

“It's fine. And you can just call me Naomi, we're close enough already so it's fine.”

 

Jun Ki pulls me back by his side and says, “You guys have to go warm up for the performance, right? You guys go on and we'll catch you guys in a few days, okay?”

 

“Yeah, we'll see you soon. We really look forward to working with you Ms. Naomi, right Minho?”, Onew says, nudging the rude guy on his left.

 

“Whatever”, the only words he says as he walk away from the group towards a room with SHINee's name on it.

 

“Well, I guess we'll see you soon”, Jonghyun says as he walks away with Onew and Key following close behind.

 

“He'll warm up to you soon, I know he'll be nicer next time”, I hope, I added in thought after Taemin says that, patting my shoulder as he walks away towards where the rest of the group went to. I'll see you soon, okay? If there's anything I can do to help you adjust, just let me know.”

 

Wow, he was so nice. I'm not sure how to respond.

 

“Thanks, I will. Good luck on your performance!”, that's the best response I can think of. Wow. That's original.

 

“Bye-bye.”

 

As he skips away, I wonder, is he always that perky? That' will take some getting some getting used to.

 

“Why don't we watch the performance while we're here?”, Jun Ki asks me.

 

I had totally forgotten he was here. “Sure”, I respond.

 

As my mind drifts off in thought, Jun Ki leads me backstage and we watch SHINee's performance from the back. As they come off stage, Minho's eyes meet with mine and he gives me this cold, angry look.

 

What's Minho's issue with me? What did I ever do to him?

 

Wait a second...

 

I've seen these eyes before...

 

He couldn't be....

 

He's... ??!!

 

***********************************************************************************************************

I'm very sorry for the late update, but with a hurricane and my mother being hospitalized it's been busy.

 

Please leave feedback and ideas... I'd love to know where you guys want the story to go... pretty please (^_^)