The Lost Friend

The Secret Life of an American Student in Korea

 As soon as I came back to my senses I stood up quickly and carefully, leaving a shocked Jun Ki with his jaw still hanging. As I went back to my window seat I could hear the young lady sitting between us chuckle. Why was that kiss funny? I had just had my first kiss stolen by some very attractive man whom I had known for less than a month.

 

Yes. I am 18 and have never been kissed. What's wrong with that? It's just that the right one had never come along. But now it was just stolen from me by someone I barely knew... Not fair!~

 

But he was very attract- No! I can't think like that. He is just someone who is giving me a job. At least he isn't like my boss or manager or something like that. That would just be torturous.

 

“-wak? Ms. Nowak? You need to wake up. We're here.”

 

I hear Jun Ki calling me and it seems that I had fallen into a deep sleep while deep in my thoughts.

 

I quickly look out the window and see that we were no longer in the sky.

 

Oh. My. Gosh. I totally forgot about that situation.

 

I could feel my cheeks burning. I look up at Jun Ki and he sees me look at him and glances away. It seems he didn't forget the instance on the plane...

 

Today was going to be awkward.

 

We had arrived at Incheon International Airport. I had finally arrived in Korea. I couldn't believe it!

 

It still doesn't feel real. It's so hard to believe that only a few days ago, I had no idea or hope for the future; Now, not only do I finally have a future, I also have a job and a home to discover what I truly wish to do.

 

If only that future didn't have such a strange and abnormal beginning.

 

1 Hour Later in The Cab

 

As I look out the window, I can see the Han River below us while we cross the bridge. I gaze into the new world that I have entered, with amazement and awe as I think that this new country is now my home.

 

“So as soon as we arrive at the apartment, I will introduce you to the person who will be with you almost 24/7 and will also be your roommate. She is about your age and will be in the same class as you when you begin school next Wednesday”, as Jun Ki begins to tell me about what things are going to be happening and what I'm going to be doing as I adjust to my new life here in Korea.

 

When we finally arrive at my new apartment building, Jun Ki goes to the the door, enters a pass code and goes into the building. Not knowing whether or not I should follow him, I proceed to receive all my bags from the trunk of the cab.

 

“Well, are you coming?”, Jun Ki called to me from the door.

 

While we are in the elevator the silence has become deafening. It feels so awkward. What am I supposed to do when you kissed someone who you barely knew. Someone who is also your boss... It is compromising to even make a slight adjustment of my hands for I fear the unwanted attention from him.

 

We arrive at the door. He enters a code into the door and we both enter the officetel.

 

“The view is so beautiful!”, I exclaim with much excitement.

 

“I hoped that you wold like it”, he says in a strange tone. Was he saying it... Bashfully?

 

Maybe I'm just imagining it.

 

“So where are we exactly? As in name of the area I mean.”

 

“You are now living in Seodaemun-gu. We are not far from Ewha Womans University.”

 

Oh~”

 

Well I will leave you the pass code for the door and let you rest.”, he says as he places the paper with the code on the kitchen counter. “I will be here tomorrow at 10 a.m. And you better be ready to leave and meet some important people that you will be writing your first song for. Also Bong Cha is the girl I was telling you about earlier. Why don't you guys have a nice talk and get to know each other, I have to go to a filming.”

 

But how? There's no-one he-”

 

Hi!”, I practically fall over as a perky voice says eagerly behind me, “I'm Bong Cha! You must be Naomi!”

 

How did I not notice she was here?

 

Oh and Naomi, about the kiss, I-”, Jun Ki begins to say but I quickly cut him off.

 

Please don't talk about it. It was an accident and meant nothing. I will see you in the morning.”

 

As he began to walk away, I noticed a glimpse of what seemed to be remorse and... longing? This man was going to be the hardest thing to figure out in Korea. I can never tell what he's thinking.

 

So you're from New Jersey, right?”

 

Bong Cha brings me back to my senses and I reply by nodding my head, “Yeah, I'm from a little town called Trayton, right near Princeton.”

 

Cool! I actually lived in a place called Carneys Point when I was younger, but once I hit high school, I came back.”

 

Really!? I lived there for almost three years. But I don't remember you... Are we in the same grade?”

 

I used to go by the name of Rachel. It saved me from getting in fights”, she responded eagerly.

 

Oh! Rachel! “Rachel Jin!”, I blurt out without meaning to.

 

Remember me now? I ran against you for School President before you moved.”

 

I finally remembered everything and felt a wave of relief rush over me as the tension that my body had been feeling just melted away.

 

Why don't we get your stuff moved to your room and then catch a quick dinner before we call it a night. Does that work for you? Or is there something you wanted to do before you start unpacking?”, she asks me with such sincerity, it felt as though we had been best friends who were meeting each other for the first time in many years.

 

There's nothing I need to pick up. But maybe tomorrow night could we maybe explore the area so I can start to adjust and get used to life here?”, I ask meekly.

 

Sure. So for dinner, how does some kimchi jigae sound? I know a really good delivery place.”

 

The Next Morning

 

Oppan Gangnam Style ~”

 

I hear my alarm from my iPhone screaming Psy's Gangnam Style at me telling me that it's 8:30a.m. and that I have to get ready for Jun Ki to come and take me to meet the first person I will be using my writing skills for.

 

I get up from my too-soft mattress and slink into the bathroom to start my morning. As I walk out of the bathroom, I smell a delicious smell coming from the small kitchen in our apartment. It almost smells like homemade waffles.

 

Naomi, are you up yet?”, Bong Cha yells behind her thinking I am still in my room.

 

Yes I'm up, you don't have to scream, I'm usually a pretty light sleeper so you could just talk to me and I'll wake up.”

 

Oh. Sorry. I didn't mean to yell in your ear”, she apologized with a bashful expression, “I made these thinking you might want a taste of home before your first job meeting.”

 

It was waffles. I hadn't had a homemade breakfast since that fateful day when my family passed.

 

Thank you.”

 

After we ate breakfast, I got dressed and once my make-up was finished I sat in the living room awaiting Jun Ki's arrival.

 

Ding-dong!

 

Jun Ki walks in and turns to me and says, “Are you ready to go? It's going to be a very busy day.”

 

Let's go!”

 

After about an hour in the car, Jun Ki is the one who is driving, he pulls in to a building that has SBS on the side.

 

You will be meeting the people you will be writing your first song for after Music Bank is finished recording. They should be done soon.”

 

Who was it?

 

Oh here they are!”, he says as he points toward the end of the hallway.

 

Five shadowed figures approach.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Sorry about the VERY late update... Life has been life sooo..... but I will continue this story even if it isn't on a regular basis but I will not stop until this story comes to a close.....

 

Remember that commenting and subscribing equals love <3 ..... and virtual cookies :) ;)