The Flight.

I Remember.

 

This entire thing was a suicide mission.

My hands trembled like mad as I curled my fingers around the doorknob. I drew a heavy breath and gripped the metal knob, turning it gingerly. The door popped open smoothly. I exhaled, only to draw another breath in preparation for the horror that was actually pulling the door open. I could hear my heart hammering away in my ears, and I felt a little light-headed.

Forget sneaking out and actually leaving the damn country. Never in my seventeen years of existence have I, Lee Yumi, ever set foot outside of my own home without one of my parents’ consent.

A deafening creak flooded the room and I froze in my position. I felt drops of cold sweat running ever so slowly down my forehead, plastering my hair to my face. I risked a look behind me and felt a very temporary joy envelop me. No one else was awake in my house. No one had heard me.

I turned back to the door and hesitantly pulled it open until it was wide enough to fit through. As silently as I could, I shoved my luggage bag through the crack of the door, quickly following suit. Shakily, I reached out and gently pulled the door shut. I’d nearly cried out in happiness. Glancing at my watch, I fumbled around in my pocket for the one thing that I had intended to leave behind. 6:37a.m.

I quietly pulled my bag along the driveway and slipped a piece of folded paper into our letterbox.

Yes, I had written a letter. How cheesy of me. I just didn’t feel right doing all this without my parents knowing. Heck, I didn’t feel right doing all this at all. It was all so wrong, but what choice did I have? My parents were so caught up in their own work that they simply had no time or energy to pay attention to me. And I’ll admit that it was indeed stupid of me to have pushed them away when they actually did offer help.

Miyeon had helped me arrange for a cab to pick me up outside the little mart in my neighbourhood the prior night, which I was greatly appreciative of. I lugged my bag behind me, walking down the neatly paved walkway, taking my own time to get to where I had to. The round moon was still glowing in a deep blue sky dotted with hundreds of thousands of sparkling stars. I sighed, questioning my actions for the umpteenth time. My heart skipped a beat.

Dear mum and dad;

By the time you read this letter, I’d already be on my way to, if not already in, South Korea.

I apologise in advance if I made you worry. Actually, I apologise in advance because I know I did make you worry, knowing you. But this is something I have to do.

Mum, you remember when I asked you, straight up, if I could go, right? Well, that night, I’m pretty sure you thought I was crazy. Simply bearing that thought had caused me a great deal of pain, because this trip was and still very much is something that means a lot to me. I had so badly wanted to tell you all about it that night, but it seemed like the wrong time to be bothering you. You were already so stressed out with all your extra work. Well, all that stuff is much too complicated to write about, so I guess it’ll just have to wait until I see you again. Thank you for working so hard for us.

I’m sorry.

Dad, I know that it’s all really hard on you right now because of your problems at work. I tried my best not to be a burden to you. I don’t have much to say because you’re always out working double shifts, and we never really get to talk much. Thank you for being so strong for us.

I’m sorry.

Mum, dad, I can assure you that I will be all right. I’ll be gone for just a little while. I really need to do this, so please try not to worry about me and I’ll see you as soon as possible. Trust me on this one.

I

…love you.

A huge weight tumbled right down onto my shoulders as I recalled what I had written to end the letter. Yes, I had stopped right there, just before the two more important words. It wasn’t that I didn’t love them, no; I didn’t stop writing because of that. I stopped writing because I wondered if a child who truly loved their parents would actually be running away from them. It hurt so much to think about it.

I loved my parents with all my heart, without a doubt. But whether they would have believed it was a whole different story. It was just really painful to be uncertain about whether your parents would believe in your ‘I love you’.

I stopped in front of the familiar corner store, my bag skidding to a halt behind me. It was about ten minutes to 7. The cab was due at around then. With a sigh, I leaned back and let myself relax against the cold class window of the mart.

 

~~~~~~

 

“Do you know all your flight details and stuff?”

Miyeon and I were sitting in a busy little coffee shop smack-dab in the heart of the airport’s main floor. People were quick to come and quick to leave, hurrying about their fast-paced lives. All around us echoed ringing cellphones and random bursts of foreign languages. I was very much taken aback by all the hustle and bustle; the airport was a place I hardly came to see.

“Yeah.” I nodded at Miyeon, taking a sip of my hot chocolate. “He – Daehyun – texted me everything early this morning.” I set the paper cup on the table, my cheeks heating up as I remembered the other message I had received earlier that morning.

Good morning, Yumi-yah ^^

How are you feeling today? I hope you’re doing well.

Anyways, the main purpose of this text is to ask if you took my offer into actual consideration. I really hope you’re coming here, because this is all really important to me, and most likely even you.

I’ll be sending you all the flight details in another text, so please await that.

I hope to see you soon. Take care ^^

Dae

“Oh, hello, what are you so shy about?” Miyeon teased. She gave a sweet smile, her eyes crinkling in the corners.

I rolled my eyes, returning her smile. I moved to stand up and stretched with a yawn before gesturing for her to get up as well. “My flight’s at 8:15. I should get my stuff checked in.” I told her. She nodded and stood up as well, taking her coffee cup into one hand and my luggage bag into the other. I picked up my own carry bag.

Side by side, we walked to the check-in counters. “How do you feel?” Miyeon asked me, helping me lift my bag onto the conveyor belt. I pursed my lips at this, handing my passport and boarding pass to the lady at the counter.

“Afraid. Nervous. Guilty. Uncertain.”  I listed, furrowing my brows. I added, “Hopeful?”

Miyeon smiled. “That last one was good,” she said, pulling me into a hug. She patted my head, holding me tightly. “And you don’t have to be afraid, nervous, guilty or uncertain. I know all these are because you’re unsure about what you’re doing. I also know that you’re worried about what your parents will think and say. Am I right?”

I pulled out of the hug, surprise painted across my face. “How-”

“When you’ve been by someone’s side for years, it just happens.” she said simply, cupping her hand to my cheek. “Now, I’m pretty sure you have a flight to catch.” She handed me my passes. I took them from her and sighed.

We hugged one more time in front of the departure gates before I left.

“All this will work out. Have a little faith.” she had said.

I hoped she was right.

 

~~~~~~

 

Author's Note~

WELL. I hope you guys forgive me for the fact that a chapter named 'the Flight' wasn't actually one that included stuff about a flight. But I hope you enjoyed. Double update means there's one more chapter waiting for you ^-^