Birthday Present.

I Own You [Hiatus]

“Where’s your mother?”

“...”

“Are you hungry?”

“...Ye...”

“Are you cold out here in the streets?”

“...Ye...”

“Do you want new clothes and a house to live in?”

“...Ye...”

“I’ll give you all that if you promise me something.”

“...”

“I will bathe you, feed you, and raise you. However you have to live under me and serve me forever... Will you do that?”

“...”

“Take my hand and let’s go.”


[Two Years Later]
“Hyunseung! Come out!” The man, in his mid thirties, calls out to his five years old son.  They were by the sea. The boy’s father favored the sea. He lived there with his wife and son. However he’s never home and barely talks to the boy’s mother. The young boy, in his nicely ironed clothes, walks out the house. His face stretches into a smile as the father reaches out to him. They hug for a long time, off course because they haven’t seen each other in months. The mother stands at the entry to the home. Her expression wasn’t happy nor sad. Divorce papers were on their way, what kind of greeting should she even have.

“Appa!!! You’re back!” The little boy laughs as the father picks him up.

“Yes... I promised to be back before your birthday!” He laughs and kisses him on the cheek. They chat for a second as another car drove into the driveway. It stops right in front of them. The mother notice the situation and slowly approaches.

“You did not!” She shouts.

“There’s no helping it...” The father whispers keeping his eyes on the car. The little boy look at them in confusion.

“Who is it daddy?” He asks. The driver quickly got out of the car and opens the door for the passenger. A little girl, no older then seven, slowly steps out of the car. The little girl was wearing black clothes. Her hair was smoothly gliding down to her shoulders. She was adorable and cute, but the most thing that stood out was her facial expression. It looks way to mature to be on a girl that young. Her eyes shows no emotion nor her gaze. The little boy looks at her with interest and jealously. He wondered why this girl was with his father when his father can’t even spend any time with him.

“Yoon Jae!” The mother yells out. “How can you bring her here?! That devil child!”

“How can I not?” He answers, still looking at the little girl. The little girl looks at the mother. Her expression slightly changed.  “Yeonie, she don’t know what she’s saying. Come over here.” He says. Or rather sounds like an order. The girl gaze back to the father and walk towards them. He smiles and put the boy down. “Say hi to her, Hyunseung.” The father says. The little girl stood three feet away from the boy. Her endless gaze was empty and cold. The little boy frowns at her and look up to his father.

“Appa... Who is she? Why is she here?”

“Her name is Seung Yeon. She’s your... Birthday present.” He said. Hyunseung’s brows slightly waver.

“Birthday present? Who gets a human for their birthday?”

“Yoon Jae!” The mom shouts and stomps over. She quicky picks Hyunseung up. “What the hell are you doing?! Are you crazy?! How can you bring that woman’s child here?!” She shouts. Her face was already red. The little girl turns her attention to the mother again.

“Woman?” She whispers. The little boy studies hard for her voice. It was too quiet and soft.

“No Yeonie, no woman.” The father turns to face the mother at last. “Don’t sprout nonsense, now. She very sensitive. If you don’t want to be sorry please don’t intimidate her.” He says. The father picks up the little girl and smile at Hyunseung before going into the house. Hyunseung glared his small eyes at her. How could his father just pick up a random girl and enter their home?!


[Four Days Later]
“Happy birthday Hyunseung!” The maids shouts as another one bring in a cake. Hyunseung angrily sat at the end of a long table. His mother sat to his left. She grab the cake and cut it.

“Eat honey, it’s your birthday.”

“Where’s dad?!” He shouts. His mom stop for a second and smiles again.

“He’s running a little late but he’ll be here.” She said and put a piece on his plate. Hyunseung glares at the cake. Suddenly he threw the plate away. He shut his eyes as a maid yelp in horror.

“Young Miss!” It smash into someone, Seung Yeon. She happen to be in the room as the father follows slowly after. The glass plate hit her square in the forehead. The maids scurries around as one of them held a towel to her head. Hyunseung’s eyes widen to the sight of the father and girl.

“What happened?” The father asks. All the maids lower their heads and continues to clean the cake and broken plate. Seung Yeon stood perfectly still as the maid blew onto her forehead. Blood was dripping down her nose.

“She tripped and fell as the maid handed her a plate. She just banged her head on the edge of the table.” The mother lies. The father frowns at her.

“Nonsense! She will never do that.” He looks at Hyunseung, who is staring down to the floor. “What’d you do Hyunseung?” He ask. Hyunseung heavily breathe and shut his eyes. “Tell me now!” The father loudly shouts. “I have no patience for such inglorious acts! Take this as a man and tell me did you do it?!”

“How can you yell at your son over this girl, Yoon Jael?! I told you-”

“Seung Yeon will NEVER make such mistakes.” He shouts. The father walks over to the boy. “Apologize.” He orders. He stares down his son as Hyunseung look over to Seung Yeon. He glares at her for a second and stands up.  

 

“Mianhae [I’m sorry]... Saeng-il seonmul [Birthday gift]...” He said.