Chapter 1

The Runaway

Dara flinched as she took of her eye mask. She carefully rubbed her eyes, making sure that she wouldn’t ruin the light make-up she applied earlier. When she looked around, she noticed that everyone else was still sleeping, and so she assumed that they were still far from their destination.

 

A smile formed on Dara’s lips. She was glad that the others were still sleeping. A few hours ago, when she boarded on the plane, she was mobbed by everyone. Even though she hadn’t been active for the last 5 years in the entertainment world, the other Koreans who were in the plane with her remembered her so well. Each one of them asked for an autograph and took a picture of her.

 

The poor flight stewardess, who was almost in tears, begged everyone else to go back on their seats because the plane was about to take off. Dara muttered an apology under her breath but the flight stewardess waved it off. When everyone else was sitting, she told Dara to pose with her and the next thing Dara new, the flash from the camera almost blinded her.

 

Dara was so tired that she slept almost instantly when the plane took off. And now, she wanted to sleep again for the lack of better things to do, but this was just the problem. When Dara had woken up, it would be impossible to make her go back to sleep again. She sighed in defeat before she decided to just watch something.

 

This was the reason why Dara loved Lee Chaerin. The younger girl bought her the plane ticket and Dara almost choked on her food when she found out the cost of just a single ticket. But, judging from the facilities and the comfort it brought to her, she knew that it was worth the price.

 

For one, the food that would be served was something Dara thought she could only find in a restaurant in St. Trapez in France. Second, it was really comfortable sleeping and if not for her biological clock; she could have been asleep peacefully now. And third, if she suddenly became bored or whatever, she could just watch some videos or movies.

 

As she turned the monitor on, she noticed that the one that was playing was Bom’s newest music video. When the group disbanded, the other 2NE1 girls started their solo careers and ever since then, Bom was named as the RnB/Ballad Queen. But Dara noticed that Bom’s greatest single were all sad love songs and she didn’t have to be a genius to figure out who wrote all of those songs.

 

She recalled a phone conversation she had with Chaerin a few years ago, when she was still leaving in New York. She just moved in and of course, informing her bestfriend of where she was part of the unspoken promise they had for each other. She was unwrapping some glassware while she placed the phone between her shoulders and her right ear.

 

“So, did you hear Bom unnie’s latest single?” Chaerin said as she was munching on something.

 

“Well, not yet. Wait, I’m going to grab my laptop. My apartment is a wifi area already. I’m going to search for it.” Dara said as she set the glassware down to look for her laptop. She took her laptop of her bed and she placed it on top of her dining table. She turned it on and in a matter of seconds; she was already loading Bom’s newest song.

 

It was one of Dara’s mistakes. She should have not listened to it after seeing the title. Come on, she should have taken the title as a clue! Who else in YGE would write a song with a title “What did I do wrong?”

 

Dara wiped a tear as she stopped playing the song. She wasn’t aware that it was how he felt. But, what else could she do?

 

“I guess you heard it already. Unnie, it’s actually worse than that. All he writes are sad songs, and the president even hired a new song writer because Teddy oppa couldn’t write love songs for Bom too. And him...he’s just miserable unnie. Did you know that Bigbang is falling apart without its leader? When you left...it’s like he just died. And this had to stop unnie. I don’t want to wake up one day and see that he suddenly turned into a wrist-slashing death metal rock singer!”

 

The rest of the conversation became a blur. Dara wasn’t even sure if she said something after Chaerin or she hang up the phone. But what she knew was, every now and then, she would search for songs of Bom, Gummy and Youngbae since most probably, they would be singing the songs he wrote.

 

The song titles included where “I still love you”, “Please come back”, “Missing you”, “With no heart” etc. Even the titles alone could make Dara crazy. How much more sanity would she lose if she listened to it all?

 

Dara focused on the screen and watched Bom’s music video. The video was about a girl waiting for the guy she loved to come back. He had left without telling her, but as he came back, she didn’t even let him explain. She just ran into his arms and hugged him as if it would the last time she could hug him. But Dara knew that the video and the song meant so much more than this.

 

Dara massaged her temples as headache began to form in her head. This was too much emotional baggage and she needed to stop thinking about it now.

 

On the other side of the world, Kwon Jiyong was standing in front of Dong Youngbae and Lee Chaerin. It was a surprise for the latter two to see that he just took a bath since for the past five years, they rarely see him all cleaned up. Well, not really surprised. Lee Chaerin actually dragged him towards the bathroom and poured water all over him while he was still fully clothed because he looked like a mess, literally. So, he had no choice but just take a bath, while the girl was being praised by the young man’s bestfriend for doing a job well done.

 

After the bath, it was Youngbae’s turn to work. He played as Jiyong’s stylist for the day and picked up a black tshirt and some dark skinny jeans. He also grabbed a white hoodie for Jiyong to wear. It took him a good 15 minutes to beg his bestfriend to wear it. Jiyong, obviously being outnumbered (Chaerin was shouting on the other side of the room), gave up and just let them do what they wanted to do to him.

 

“Why am I dressed up? I’m only staying here the whole day. I have work to do, you know?” Jiyong complained to his bestfriend and his bestfriend’s fiancé.

 

“I didn’t know sulking is ‘work’.” Chaerin muttered under her breath. Jiyong glared at her and gritted his teeth. Youngbae on the other hand, was still Mr. Sunshine. He was all smiles that his eyes almost disappeared. He placed his right arm around Jiyong’s shoulder and told him that they had to fetch someone for the airport.

 

“Isn’t three too much? Who are we going to fetch? The queen? And what are we going to do? Carry her?” Jiyong’s words were just full of sarcasm, hinting everyone else that he really didn’t want to leave the apartment.

 

Chaerin was just keeping shut as she tried to control her temper. She just let Youngbae do all the talking because if she started to talk, she might explode.

 

“You know, you’re right. Three is too much right? So, honey, why don’t we just go and talk to the wedding planner or something and just let Jiyong do the fetching?” Youngbae suggested.

 

Even before Jiyong could protest, Chaerin screamed ‘Good idea honey” and dragged Youngbae out of the room leaving Jiyong alone.

 

Jiyong rolled his eyes and had an internal debate whether he would go to the airport or not. Should he fetch...err... Kwon Jiyong realized that Dong Youngbae and Lee Chaerin ‘forgot’ to tell him who he was supposed to fetch. He tried to call Chaerin and Youngbae, but the sly pair turned their phones off.

 

And so, Jiyong took his keys and drove to the airport.

 

Kwon Jiyong knew that it was really dangerous for an artist like him to roam around a busy airport. Yes, he wasn’t as active as before, but he still had a lot of television exposures for the last months and he was scared that fan girls might appear somewhere and attack him. And so, he covered his head with the hood of his jacket and grabbed a face mask from his car before he walked towards the crowd.

 

He was looking from left to right just in case a fan girl would jump at him. He was getting so paranoid that he slightly jumped from surprise when he heard his cellphone beeped.

 

He just received a SMS from Chaerin.

 

‘She said that she’s wearing a black shirt under her white hoodie. Oh lookie, you match!’

 

Jiyong ignored that last sentence and just proceeded to look for a girl who was wearing a black shirt under her white hoodie. It took him another 10 minutes to just find her.

 

She was far from where he was and so, he ran towards her. But as her features became clearer and clearer to him, he stopped.

 

“It can’t be.” He said to himself. He rubbed his eyes for he thought that they were playing with his mind. He repeated the process for several times, but his eyes could only see her.

 

That was when Jiyong couldn’t stop himself anymore.

 

He ran towards her and without warning her, he hugged her. Just like that. He hugged her without even asking why she left or why she came back right now. All he wanted to do was just feel her... hug her to prove that he was indeed with her right now.

 

But the problem was... she wasn’t hugging him back.