Chapter 1.4

"Mr. Maybe Next Time has a Clumsy Guardian Angel"

There was a constant murmur, hollow and deep: an upcoming ambulance. And another sound, here and there: the gushing August wind. The wind came in gusts, and in the pauses you would hear it sighing, traveling faraway. The angel felt the vibration of the wind. It gave her a strange feeling, as if, every gust of the wind was tapping her back, wishing her goodluck.

          A faint, short-lived siren came with the noise of car horns. The noise had approached but was impatiently surpassed by the repeated hits of the wind. Suddenly, there was a faint explosion far, far, away. The guardian angels winced in sadness. The wind returns, rising from nothing, spreading , it seemed to stretch in the still air, then it was gone. The youngest of the guardian angels gathered all her courage and swiflty fluttered her wings, flying down to Earth.

          Earlier, she had heard a sound she couldn't recognized. It was a car, accelerating uncontrollably. It slipped on the dusky road and hit the guard rail twice before flipping on its side. It hit another passing car and a boy on a motorcycle. And then a huge truck was seen coming, unknown of the accident he would also be in. The truck was so huge, that the youngest angel thought it was so close to her, and she could touch it, and stop it from hitting the other vehicles.

          The guardian angels looked down at the accident. The vehicle's exhaust seemed like an organ playing its masterpiece. The angels were surrounded by a moment of absolute silence, and eerie. 

          "Aw, poor souls. Look at how the ahjussi embraces his little daughter." Tae Min remarked.

          The young father had his whole arms and shouders wrapped around his daughter, trying his best to save and protect his precious one. The youngest angel let out an unaudible sigh, for it broke her fragile heart.

          "They're still alive, right? Tae Min?"

          The young man started to open his eyes. Wincing, he slowly got up, "Uh, help me. Please. Help my daughter. Please. Save her."

          The angel Tae Min showed a gentle smile, and it somehow calmed Seung Ho. "No worries. She's well. Little Lau Ren will be good."

          Seung Ho looked at her daughter lovingly. He was relieved. He seemed happy. Very happy. He his little daughter's forehead, however he couldn't touch her.

          This made him afraid and confused.

 

 

 

"..for the nth time, Yang Yo Seob-nim," Ji Eun softly repeated. "You are dead. Please, I'm very sorry, but believe me. I am not lying."

          Everything was true and the Angel Ji Eun wasn't lying, for angels don't lie. Yet, the freshmen Broadcasting student refused to listen. For him, all those truths coming from the angel were all lies. He wouldn't and couldn't believe that he is dead.

          This made the youngest angel wonder, "Why do good people die young?" She kept her questions at the back of her mind. 

          "Tell me your wish, Yo Seob-nim."

          "Eh? Wish? Hm.." he grinned cheekily. "I want you to date me."

          "Not that kind of wish!" Ji Eun shyly pushed Yo Seob's shoulders.

 

 

 

 

 

Baek Hyun kicked his half broken motorcycle, like how students kick a crumpled paper without picking it up. He was annoyed with his current bad situation — an assistant who almost got fired, stressed student, stressed board-examinee, a son who had to take care of both his old parents. "I'm in big trouble! Aish! Manager Zhang said he will kill me if I caused more trouble again." 

          "But, you're already dead.." the angel murmured. 

 

          The cowardly Baek Hyun scratched his head, it was bleeding but he didn't feel any pain, nor did he saw the blood and the injuries all over his weak body.

          "*Jeogiyo, please hurry and tell me your wish."

          "Who are you?" he looked at the angel. He saw how pretty she was and blushed.

          "Sorry. I'm not interested in dating highschoolers. And, umm, I have to hurry and deliver food." he stuttered.

          Baek Hyun started picking up the scattered snacks on the road.

 

          "Is that your wish?"

 

          Baek Hyun didn't respond. He found themselves alone on the road, and he took in the surroundings. The ground, reflecting the color red, looked like a fresh accident had occured, and there were a line of coallision of cars. Heavy clouds were descending slowly, and the fog was beginning to thicken, making the horizon invisible. In another place, in another time, he would have felt the horror around him, but as Baek Hyun stood on the road, he didn't feel anything at all. In a way, he felt as if he weren't really there, as if the whole thing was nothing but a dream.

          The angel grabbed the snacks on Baek Hyun's hands. "Alright then. I'll help you with that."

          Baek Hyun took away his hand, and the bags of snacks fell on the ground. He flinched, for he could still feel the girl's touch.

          "What happened here?"

          She kneeled on the ground and picked up the snacks, and there Baek Hyun saw her pair of wings. They were as white as pure snow and milk, and fluffy like clouds in the day sky. Baek Hyun was deeply suprised.

          "You're cosplaying, right? A-and, when you said Tell me your wish, you're just an SNSD fan, right? Right?"

          Baek Hyun was madly shaking, he felt fear and confusion. Slowly and painfully Baek Hyun remembered what happened. He thought about his old parents. 

          Who will take care of them, if I'm gone?

          There were aspects in life that humans couldn't pleasantly think about, one of this somber facts was dying. Neverhteless, this made Baek Hyun scared. He tried to escape and pushed this unescapable fact at the background of his thinking, but he failed.

          The concerned eyes of the angel melted Baek Hyun's uneasy heart.

          "I will take care of them, then."

         With those words, Baek Hyun cried.

          "My Umma eats 천사채 [cheonsachae] without carrots. S-she gets mad when you forget to close the lights. And my Appa, my appa, has artritis. Give him a massage everyday, even if his stubborn and wouldn't want it."

          The angel nodded, a smile formed on her lovely face. Whenever an angel smiles, you wouldn't help but smile too, and the cowardly Baek Hyun wasn't an exemption. The corners of his mouth turned up, his eyes and cheeks crinkled, forming a smile, yet all his worries wouldn't go away. Worries and doubts were just increasing, towering on his uneasy heart.

          There came blinding rays of light. The Messenger of Angels, Jin Ki came down with thousands of attending angels with him. They were to fetch the souls of these good people, including Baek Hyun.

           "You should go with them now, Baek Hyun-ssi."

          He shook his head, wiping his tears like a little, stubborn child. The guardian angel watched the breeze gently moving his hair, and she knew it was no time for Baek Hyun to pretend that he is strong. She perfectly knew, how scared he was to leave his parents and everyone. Yet, the angel never knew how badly upset Baek Hyun was with someone.

          "Well," he said seiously, "I am not leaving until I get my revenge."

          The youngest angel thought about what Baek Hyun said and took a deep breathe before going on.

          "Revenge is a bad.." she said softly.

          "I wouldn't be dead if it wasn't for him!" he started yelling, trembling with every word he said, "He is evil and greedy! He gave me lowly position at work, he was always mad at me, and blames me for everything, like I was the stupidest idiot! I would have lived a better life, if it wasn't for him!"

          "Don't hurt anyone, Baek Hyun-ssi. I wasn't lying when I said revenge is bad. Revenge could hurt your family and friends.—"

          "He isn't family nor even a friend!" he shook his head and tried to keep his voice steady. "My wish is for Wu Fan to be condemned with guilt forever. I want him to be alone and unhappy for the rest of his life."

          The guardian angel couldn't respond, his words cut right through her heart. She doesn't understand that a wish could hurt someone.

 

          She doesn't want to grant Baek Hyun's last wish, because it would hurt people.

 

          Yet, she have to do it.

 

          No matter what, the last dying wish of the soul ought to be done.

          Baek Hyun turned his back and walked going to the bright tunnel of light. He waved one last time and then, he was gone.

 

 

 

 

"Angels, mission accomplished." the angel Tae Min declared, blinking a couple of times.

          Ji Eun yawned, "Finally, we can go back now. That Yo Seob-nim was very persistent. Let's go, Dongsaeng-ah."

          "I can't.." the angel raised his hands, holding a bag full of snacks, "I have to deliver these first.. and.."

          "I see, be careful then."

          With a speed like of the god of the winds Bi Ryeom, Tae Min and Ji Eun were gone in a flash and went back to Heavens. The Maknae of the guardian angels was left all alone at Earth.

          Her lips curved into a pout,  "and I have to make a human sad.. forever."

 

          While walking down the road, the guardian angel kept on thinking a plan intently, but nothing would come up on her mind. Angels were made with pure honesty and kindness, and this strange wish made her undoubtful.

          Somehow, while walking and carefully thinking, the guardian angel ended up coming to the forest at the end side of the road. The foothpath was worn in good, lined mostly by green trees and bushes, and a few shrubs. It was definitely cooler here than at the accident-prone road. She ducked under spiderwebs that stretched across the path over her head. The forest woods was a busy place. Birds began to howl above tall trees and bugs were running along branches in the treetops. They seemed to have notice of the angel, trees would stop swaying, owls become silent, the tamed beasts would stop and watch her pass by. They had been waiting for her, and it seemed like they wanted to show her something important. She kept on walking.

 

          "Lu Han.. Lu Han.."

 

          The guardian angel flinched and turned to where the voice was. There she saw a lad, lying on the ground, beside his car which had flipped up-side-down the hills. He was in a helpless state, showering in his own blood. His weak voice was calling a name.

           "L-Lu Han?" the angel echoed.

          "Lu Han help me.."

          The guardian angel leaned towards him, and shook a finger,  "No, no, no. My name's not Lu Han. I haven't gained enough points to earned a name."

          Then, she was lost of thinking of the possibilities of her gaining a name— what pretty name could they give her — and maybe heavenly powers, if she successfully granted Baek Hyun's wish. However, she felt very, very sad. One person would become alone for another to be happy.

          "Please.. help me.." the lad's weak gaze and helpless cry made her worry.

          "An angel incharge of you should be coming by now, but where is that angel?" her head tilted at the side. "Are you.. are you somehow included with that accident?" 

          "Lu Han-ah.."

          "Err, *jeogiyo. I'm not your guardian angel." she waves her hands around, erasing the air between them. "I can't help you."

          "H-help me.. h-help me.." the lad continued his helpless call.

          "Uh, what do I do?" she closed her eyes, and tried not to think of helping him.. but she failed. "Ah, I don't care anymore! What's your wish? Quick, say it."

          "Help me.."

          "If, i-if it's like that.." the angel raised her hand and took her precious ring off.

          She gently put it on the helpless lad. An angel's ring is very powerful, for when a human wears it, he would be healed from any weakness and sickness. The ring could save a dying soul.

          She breathe in then out, happiness overflowed in her for helping someone. She picked up Baek Hyun's bag of snacks, heading towards her search for Baek Hyun's most hated person.

          "I wonder where the Wu Yi Fan person is?"

          While walking away, the guardian angel hummed a lovely song.

 

          The lad's eyes slowly closed, the song was like a lullaby, relieving all his pain.

         

Minutes later, the calm and silent woods got surrounded by booming to a hundred decibels loud siren. The police accompanied by a group of nurse volunteers came down the hills.

         "Sir, someone is here!"

         "He is still breathing! He is alive!"

         "The boy is badly injured, we need the doctor's help here!"

          The tall lad was quickly taken to the ambulance, while he was lifted to the tail lift to the vehicle, something on his pocket dropped. The young officer noticed it, and picked it up, it was his I.D.

 

          He read his name, "Wu Yi Fan."

 

 


 
 "Clumsy guardian angel, you're in big trouble."
 
 
 
 
 
*jeogiyo - Excuse me.
*cheonsa - angel
*akma - devil
 
 
 
[ this chapter is so long.. ]