Chapter 1.1

"Mr. Maybe Next Time has a Clumsy Guardian Angel"

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 1

Do you Remember the Day We First Met?

우리 처음 만난 날을 기억하나요

[uli cheoeum mannan nal-eul gieoghanayo?]

 

I had always heard your entire life flashes in front of your eyes the second before you die. First of all, that one second isn't a second at all. It stretches on forever, like an ocean of time. For me, it was lying on my back at our apartment, waiting for my 父亲 [father]'s return to home, watching stars and yellow leaves fall from the maple trees lined at the streets of Vancouver. Or my 老妈 [mother]'s hands and the way her skin seemed like paper. And the first time I held a camera.. the exciting feeling and warmth of enjoying such images and scenes through small lenses. And, my 弟弟 [little brother], Lu Han. I guess I could be pretty pissed off about what happened to us, but it's hard to stay mad when there's so much beauty in the world. Sometimes I feel like I am seeing it all at once and its too much. My heart fills up like a balloon that's about to burst. And then I remembered to relax and stop trying to hold on to it. And then it flowed through me, like big drops of heavy rain, and I can't feel anything but gratitude and regret for every single moment of my stupid little life.

 

          "Let's begin now," the young photographer placed his camera in position.

          Everyone became busy with each of their roles. There was the skinny and tall gofer arranging then re-arranging chairs and lightnings at the little platform, the two set designers looking awkward and jittery next to each other, like newly wed couples having a fight between what to watch after dinner. Then, there were the make-up artists and dressers busy and in panic running around the studio with combs, and brushes for the models. The models who were long-legged, beautiful and gorgeous, literally beauties coming out from magazines.

          Tens and hundreds of clicks echoed around the photography studio, like thunder clapping, being loud and proud of each amazingly taken images. Flashes of lightning, momentarily blinding the staffs and models, striked on every wall and corner, like a faithful dog that followed around the photographer.

          The photographer was a successful professional at a young age of 20, he was born in a sub-provincial city in China called Guangzhou, at 15 he moved with his family to Canada, and after auspicious reasons they left and migrated to Korea where he continued his studies. Photography wasn't just a hobby for him, this has been a precious treasure. As a child, he was always asked 'Wu Fan, what do you want to do when you grow up?' He would answer, 'I want to be a photographer.' And they would say, 'No, what do you really want to do, for a job?' But, photography is the only thing he ever wanted to do. He breathe life in his photos, the camera was his pair of eyes. He could perceive beauty in every image and create such wonders in his chosen line of arts. He was an outstanding professional photographer.

          Also, a mysterious lad.

          "This is Wu Yi Fan, our photographer," the studio manager said.

          Worry was in his eyes when he turned at the photographer who just looked at him with unreadable expression. Zhang Yi Xing, the photographer's same-aged friend, they had known each other since preschool in Guangzhou, affectionate like a mother and dependable like a father. Wu Fan's pair of brown eyes were cool when he looked from Yi Xing to the next person.

          "Duizhang, this is the professional soccer athlete, Min Ho." Yi Xing turned to his side.

          "Photographer Wu," the promising goal keeper, the face of the magazine's cover, supressed his surprise as he too appraised the young photographer. "So, this is The Photographer Who Doesn't Smile," he thought to himself and his curiousity began to build fast, like a skyrocket ready for take-off. "Where would you like me?" he turned to Yi Xing, his tone sounded vaguely anxious contradictory to what he felt. But, Wu Fan wouldn't let petty Yi Xing run the show.

          "Athlete Min Ho, if you would sit here, please? Be careful of the lightning cables, and then we will do a few standing, too." he directed him to a chair set up against the walls.

          The one month old photography studio's gofer, Baek Hyun switches on the lights, blinding Min Ho, and quickly muttering an apology.

          The staffs and models including Yi Xing stood back and watched as Wu Fan proceeded to snap away. They were standing and admiring the breathtaking professional soccer athlete Min Ho and also admiring the fine looking photographer, Wu Fan. He took several photos hand-held, asking the charismatic male model to turn this way, then that, to move his arms, then put it down again.

          The magazine shoot's theme was "Second Life." Min Ho's images captured by the camera was an immensely heartening story. His gaze, his act, his pose, the way he stood, the way he tilted his face, it was to exhibit a person whose full of courage and hope.

          Moving to the tripod, Wu Fan took several more, while the tall and bright athlete made himself comfortable infront of the camera, posing naturally and patiently for about 20 minutes.

          "Enough sitting," Wu Fan's deep voice echoed. "Standing, Min Ho-ssi?"

          "Aye-aye, Duizhang!" he saluted and smiled genuinely.

           Yi Xing stiffled a laugh. Wu Fan fixed the camera on the tripod, looking straight, like he had became deaf of the model's sudden endearment.

          Min Ho stood and Baek Hyun scurried in to remove the chair. The Nikon's shutter started clicking. Eventhough with being still, Min Ho was shining and full of light, his presence was incredibly prominent.

          Then, Yi Xing remembered Wu Fan's little debate with the fashion magazine company. "An angel saving a human.." Wu Fan paused and everyone's attention, from the make-up artists to the head editor was on him. "Head Editor Lee, give me permission to do things unorthodoxly. A man's discoveries and wonders from his childhoold, the chaos and confusion of his youth, and the triumphs and defeats of his maturity, this is the definition of Second Life." Ah, [duizhang] 队长, you are really something. Yi Xing thought to himself.

          Few days later, the photographer met with Yi Xing.

          "Lee Min Ho. The National Team's captain, Lee Min Ho. Isn't he perfect for the Second Life theme, Yi Xing?" Lee Min Ho was the most decorated Asian footballer in history, as the first Asian player to have won the Champions League trophy and the first Asian to have played in a final of the Union of European Football Associations (UEFA) Champions League. He was introduced to football through his football coach Father. Through his teenage years with playing football, he had experienced a lot of defeats yet still he continued with playing and loving football.

          In a practice match, he arrested the Manchester United manager's eyes. Despite his injuries, his performance was outstanding. He played for only 20 minutes, however it was enough for the Manager to see his sense, pyshical strenght and his potential, so he accepted him instead of the British player everyone thought he would choose. This scout aroused a lot of critism because Lee Min Ho was unknown, but he had proven that Manchester United made the right decision, when he became the Captain, his first goal for Manchester United came on 2005, during a 3-1 win over Birmingham City in the League Cup fifth round. Lee Min Ho was the living legend of hope and courage . . . second life.

          "Yes. He is the perfect model." Yi Xing murmured to himself.

           "But, Manager Zhang.. that is Choi Min Ho, not Lee Min Ho."

          "SSHH! BACON!" the manager dragged the gofer behind the studio, "Don't be loud or else Duizhang might hear you! This is all your fault! Didn't I clearly told you to call Lee Min Ho, I said MIN HO ing LEE. When did I say CHOI?"

          "Hyung, I'm sorry!"

           Clumsy Baek Hyun was on his knees, his hands clapped together with eyes closed, like he was praying infront of a Saint, but looking as flustered as a student late for his morning classes.

           "There are two Min Ho's in the world of football. I'm sorry for mixing them up. Hyung, you called while I was taking an exam. I was cramming that's why.. I got them mixed up—"

          Loud crashing sounds interrupted the hyung and his dongsaeng's conversation. Yi Xing then heard the young photographer calling his name. He sounded mad, and Yi Xing shrugged. He looked at Baek Hyun, who gave an apologetic and goofy smile.

           "Yi Xing, this guy.." he pointed at Min Ho. "He was telling me, his surname's not Lee, but Choi," Yi Xing's eyes fell on the floor, where tiny bits and pieces from the thrown laptop scattered. "Someone, explain this!"

          Wu Fan was screaming at the top of his lungs, his voice was menacing, echoing at every corner of the studio, each and everyone of the staffs were paralyzed from where they were, their insides practically contort with fear.

          The photographer gazed at them, waiting, eyes blazing. "I'm waiting. I am not a patient man."

          "P-photographer Wu.. I'm terribly sorry.." Baek Hyun didn't know where the courage came from, but after a second he found himself confessing the whole truth. There he was thinking that the Photographer Who Doesn't Smile might forgive his plain, salt-of-the-earth honesty. "Manager Zhang told me to call Lee Min Ho but, I don't know, I just got him mixed up with another footballer. I am very sorry." 

          After the confession, Wu Fan closed his eyes.

          It felt like forever, and everyone including Min Ho, felt like time had stopped. When his eyes opened, the menacing look was gone, however he was avoiding eye contact with Baek Hyun. Then, the impossible happened. Wu Yi Fan left the studio, and when he was back, he was holding a white envelope.

          "Here. This is your paycheck."

          Yi Xing rolled his eyes, after a long time, he once felt irritation towards his narcissistic friend. "Don't do this, Wu Fan."

         "Because of this d*mn sh*t, our time was wasted. Yi Xing, all this time I was taking photos of a stranger, and you just stood there!" he sounded more irritated than Yi Xing. "I felt very stupid of myself."

         "B-but, this Min Ho isn't a stranger, he's also a football player." Baek Hyun murmured, trying and failing to sound confident.

          Wu Fan's dark eyes watched his assistant intently while he began to introduce Choi Min Ho, his anger was still prominent.

         "Does this Min Ho, played football like it was his life?" he smiled weakly at the cowardly Baek Hyun, he was clearly teasing. "Did he win four times at the Premier League? FIFA Club World Cup? UEFA? Is this Min Ho the captain of the South Korean National Team?"

         Baek Hyun felt embarrassed, he wanted to save his pride, yet infront of the intimidating Wu Fan, all he could do was shook his head. Wu Fan pushed the white envelope infront of him, "My hands hurt, when will you take this, stupid?"

          Choi Min Ho, as silent and calm he was all this while, finally reached his boiling point and lost his temper. He stepped towards them and slapped the hands of the photographer, the white envelope dropped on the platform.

           "Photographer Wu, you are unbelievable. With that overinflated pride in your body, you don't know how much I want to stuck a pin on you.. watch that pride and narcissism explode."

          Everyone on the studio panic with the football player's words, especially Yi Xing. He perfectly knew what bad lucks could happed to people who messed up with Wu Fan.

          Choi Min Ho tapped Baek Hyun's back, "I didn't win any huge Premier League and World Cup, and I am not the captain nor even a member of the National Football Team. I am simply your ordinary college footballer. But.." he looked directly at the photographer's intimidating stare, Choi Min Ho has the proud and confident stance Wu Fan found annoying, "Wu Yi Fan-ssi, because of football I gained a full scholarship. This sport had been my life. While your photos breathe life, I breathe and live because of football. You weren't taking photos of a stranger, I am a goalkeeper at S University, Choi Min Ho."

          There was a long and menacing silence. The staffs everywhere were like China's Terra Cotta warriors, an army of soldiers who had been frozen in time. The young photographer was clearly suppressing his bad-temper, he was glaring at Min Ho like a wild wolf with his slender arms crossed at his chest in defense and his head tilted on the side.

          The studio was filled with dangerous mood until Yi Xing let out an awkward laugh,

           "Duizhang, everyone here are teribbly sorry. Err, uhm, here, I will personally call Captain Lee Min Ho's manager. Let's call today a rest day and reschedule the photoshoot."

          Then Yi Xing spoke to him in Mandarin, it was fast and no one caught a thing, only the two knew and understood. However, it seemed like Yi Xing had calmed Wu Fan. With three long strides, he was back at his office. It was another lucky day at the photography studio for they had once again escaped from the photographer's wrath. He had completely ignored the clumsy assistant and the football player, although there was something a while ago he had heard and couldn't pass over.

         

 

 

 

At his office, Wu Fan's eyes were fixed on the Macbook's screen. "Pictures.. pictures that breathe life. Do my photos really breathe life, Zin Tuo?"

          There was a hundred fold of creases and eyebrows wrinkled on the young studio manager's face, his mouth dropped open, it was like he wanted to say something but he decided not to. His hands traveled on Wu Fan's mouth, and it covered Wu Fan's entire small face. He let out a hush but truly he wanted to shout in embarrassment and irritation. "Duizhang, don't fire my employees, and, please, don't call me Zin Tuo."

 

          After the photoshoot, the photographer went home. He opened a little drawer beside his bedroom. There was a tiny box and inside the box there was a photo.. a family portrait of his mother, his father and his little brother. Each of them had mouths opened, forming sincere smiles. "Photos that breathe life.." he murmured to himself. He looked at their smiles and for a second, Wu Fan thought they will start talking, that his photos will breathe life. For a second he hoped, and for a very long time he yearned for them.

          That night, the photographer dreamt of a steep and soggy hill, a boy in a school uniform, unconcious and lying on the ground, his camera full of blood, hundreds of eyes full of anger, echoeing voices that judged him, and then there was a girl.. a girl dress in white, shining and with wings on her back.. an angel, stretching her hands, waiting for him to hold.

 


[Aw, first update. Thanks for reading! I've been in hiatus in AFF for such a long time. This is my comeback. Hahahha. I should update my other fics too.]

 

 

 

Yi Xing.

His awkward laugh.

And his dimples.

 

 

See you, guys, at chapter 1 part 2. Pyong~♥!