Chapter 3

Were You Happy?

CHAPTER 3

It has been exactly seven days since that day, where I was chosen to be a tribute in the Annual--- where I won the prize. The person in charge of running this event, Kim Boksoo, whom I usually like to call 'Tim Bucktwo' (He doesn't even mind; in fact, he actually likes it!) informed me that I'll be visiting EXO's dorm this coming weekend. I was a little hesitant at first...although they seemed very friendly and all, not all idols appear as nice in person as they are in front of cameras. And besides, the anniversary of that day was approaching fast and I promised Jeongyoon that we would get together and prepare for it. I checked my phone to see a text from Belle.

You Bangme: YO JEOU. You free right now? Let's go for some patbingsoo ^^ text me back, bambo.

    I sighed. Patbingsoo in February? You must be joking.

Jeou.R: You're expecting me, to eat ice with you in -8 degree weather? Think again. And besides, I'm meeting the you-know-whos in two hours. Belle, give me some tips so that there won't be a repeat of the incident last time ㅠㅠ

You Bangme: As long as you actually know the names this time, you'll be fine. Also, ask Tim Bucktwo if you're allowed to bring friends along! I seriously really really want to meet Suhooooo ㅠㅠ

    I quickly typed an "ok" back and got ready. Usually, I don't go around meeting new people like this. Especially celebrities. Putting on a pair of my favourite jeans, my grey Abercrombie hoodie, a baseball cap and jacket, it was time to head out.
    "Jeongyoon ah! I'm heading out! Make sure to close the windows and lock the doors when you're going out with friends or something."
    "OKAY, I know. Bye!"
And with that, I was off.



So, according to Google maps, I was supposed to take the 401 bus and get off at this stop. Continue walking straight along the path for two blocks. Turn right and continue until you see that street. Turn left. Make a u-turn. Turn right three more times. Get on another bus. Take an airplane and then take a ferry. Your destination should have been on the right. Just kidding. But that's what it felt like while actually following the directions. Maybe I'm just bad with maps or something but aren't they supposed to live near the company? If that's the case, why am I in the middle of nowhere? It was cold, and slightly dark, the clouds grey and the wind blowing, chilling through the layers of one's clothes and straight into their bones. And after what seemed like a hundred mile walk, I arrived in front of EXO's dorm, facing a slight dilemma. Although I was late for about forty-five minutes, I didn't know whether it would be better to knock or--

"Oh, you're here! I was kind of worried if you got lost or something. Come in!" It wasn't one of the members who greeted me at the door but Tim Bucktwo. The dorm was nothing like I expected it to be. EXO was a new rookie group but I thought it would look more...expensive and classy. The dorm was, how do you explain it, it was quite simple. It was simply furnished from what I could see, equipped with two white leather-but-not-quite-leather couches and a t.v. The kitchen was small, but had everything that was needed; a fridge, stove and lots of cute cupboards. It looked like something that came out of a magazine. I saw about five of the members, who I think were watching a t.v. show of some sort. I'm guessing their rooms were a little down the living room, where there were about five doors that were closed, probably leading to the rooms. "Hey guys, it's time to greet our visitor! Haha, you probably remember from last week but this is Roh Jinwoo. Well, I'm leaving now so get yourselves aquainted. You'll be seeing each other quite often for the following months. Bye!"

After he left, the awkward tension in the air was so thick, that you could probably feel how awkward it was. Seriously. There were awkward turtles swimming around and there's no way to get rid of them. I looked up to see what they were doing. The five of them at the moment were sitting on the couch, their posture stiff and gazing around the room like it was their first time there. I sighed. Guess who will have to commence the conversation? I was about to say something when all of a sudden, "Hello, Jinwoo shi! Welcome to our dorm!!!! My name's Chanyeol, nice to meet you :D" Oh. My. God. It's the really tall guy with blondish hair from the concert. I almost burst out laughing, not because of his obvious attempt of trying to be overly friendly but because of his smile. It was so wide that it looked like it hurt, he smiled like how Spongebob does! "Hi, Chanyeol shi. You can just call me Jeou. Nice to meet you!" I tried to reply to him in the same friendly manner that he did but it only came out sounding strained and forced so I added, "You guys have a nice dorm..looks cozy, like a bunny!" Did I say something funny? Because when they all started laughing, I just didn't get it. "Hahaha, Jeou...you're really funny! I'm not sure why but everything you say has something funny about it. I just can't... you're an exact replica of Yixing hyung!" Chanyeol said, still laughing a little. Uh, was that supposed to be a compliment or. "Thanks..." Just at that moment, the seven other members came in through the door. They all went and greeted each other while I stood there awkwardly. "Yeollie ah, why didn't you tell us we had a guest? Hi Jinwoo shi, I'm Baekhyun, EXO K's main vocal! Nice to meet you," I recognized that it was the cute one from the concert. "You can just call me Jeou..nice to meet you too." I said politely. He smiled, "Jeou, D.O. is about to make dinner..you'll be joining us right?" I nodded in agreement. I watched as some of the members went to help/bother D.O. while he cooked while the rest were lazying around the living room area. Even from a stranger's point of view, you could tell that the EXO members were like a family. Which brought me back to the fact that this was going to be the first time in years that I've ever ate dinner without Jeongyoon. As soon as I finished texting him an apology, the food was ready.

I looked in front of me to see a huge delicious looking plate of spaghetti. Please thank the Lord for the creation of D.O. and his cooking skills. As I was about to take a huge- bite of that scrumpcious looking plate of heaven, someone interrupted me.

"So Jeou, what do you think after meeting us? Are we up to your standards? Hahaha just kidding." I think it was EXO K's leader Suho who spoke.

"Yes, Suho shi. I think you guys are really friendly..and cool. Also, D.O., I think I can taste a little bit of heaven with every bite of this spaghetti! Please tell me your secret to this. It tastes almost magical." I said, taking in another bite.
The members all laughed at this. This was a first for me, eating with so many people at once. Usually at the dinner table, there were two people...maybe three at most. But with this many people, even something as simple as having a meal felt like a type of bonding activity...like synchronized swimming.

"Hey... do you all usually eat together like this everyday? Don't mind me asking though. I just thought it was kind of nice haha," I poked at my leftover spaghetti sauce.

Lay smiled. "When the twelve of us are promoting together, then yes, we usually eat together everyday. But when we, EXO M, are in China, then it's impossible! Jeou, don't you also eat with your family at home?"

I stopped poking at the plate and looked up, with a small smile. "...That's what all families do, isn't it? Anyways, thanks for dinner! It was really good. Let me help with the dishes to repay you guys!"

I stood up, bringing the plates to the sink and started to wash them. I could feel eyes watching me from behind, and hear some whispering...I think they were talking in Chinese? But no matter. I have to finish this up soon and go home. It was getting late.



By the time I finished the dishes, it was around ten p.m. I sighed, Jeongyoon must be worried..I'm usually never out this late. I walked out of the kitchen to see Luhan, Kai, Sehun and Xiumin playing the Wii, tennis style. I laughed to myself a bit. Though they had this cool, chic image, they were probably just children on the inside, like Jeongyoon.
"Hey guys! I'm finished the dishes.. thanks for the dinner again. It was nice meeting you all. I'm going to take my leave now...so see you next week?" Why do I sound so awkward all the time. They all said bye, but as I opened the door, there was resistance from the other side. A strong force field....of about fifty centimeters of snow.