Chapter 1

Were You Happy?

CHAPTER 1

Crowd: [chanting] Deh-Shay, Deh-Shay, Bah Sah Rah. Bah Sah Rah.
Bruce Wayne: "What does that mean?"
Prisoner: "Rise."

The only thing in this entire world that brings out true despair is hope. Someone who has adopted to darkness will feel that it is their friend, but to someone who was born in it, that person is darkness-----

"ROH JINWOO, we're going to be late! Come out now!" I sighed, as I walked out of my room to greet this little twerp of a sibling.
"'morning bambolino. What's with the ruckus so early in the freakin' morning. I was watching Batman and you had to scream right in the middle of the ."
Jeongyoon stared, and then sighed. "I can't understand how you're the older one here--- okay, okay I'm sorry TT" He said as I gave him a slight glare. As we were about to leave, I looked around the small appartment that we were now living in and for a second, I could almost make out a light silhouette of her, smiling kindly and waving at us to hurry up. But another second past, and it was gone. I shook my head, smiling until Jeongyoon's weirded-out stare brought me out of my trance. I smiled at him, "Sorry, let's go!"

The thing about high school is that everything, from the moment you walk through the door, to the students, the teachers, even that piece of small dust ball being ignored in the corner of the dimly lit hallway, is somehow similar to a romantic chick flick. The way how in every school, there's always going to be cliques and in every clique, there's always bound to be someone who's like a leader, directing the rest of the people in that group to do certain things and dress in a specific manner. It's like nobody notices that this sort of thing is strange. To the point where everyday is a repeat of the last. Well, that's what I thought. But everything changed when the fire nation attacked-- sorry. But doesn't that line make everything sound better?

"Yo Jeou! Morning!" Belle greeted me, slapping my back like old drunkards do. Belle, one of my best and only friends that I've known long enough to trust that if I were to ever murder someone in the future, I could trust her to help dispose of the body and bring me my passport and luggage to escape. Also, there's one more reason why we're so close. It's because of our names. Not that I dislike my name or anything but when people hear 'Roh Jinwoo', a male obviously pops up in their mind. And let me tell you, the one and only problem with that is that one time I was caught speeding after just recently getting my license, so recent that the actual license wasn't sent yet and all I had was that lame piece of paper labelled "certificate". And because the cop didn't believe I was 'Roh Jinwoo', I was brought all the way to the police station and missed the finale of Gaksital (Bridal Mask), the only drama I've liked so much that I speeded in the first place. Anyways, my name is pretty much fine besides that reason. On the other hand, let me tell you Belle's real name. You might just cry after hearing it though, cry in pity.
Her real name that was given to her at birth is Yoo Bangmi. At first glance, it doesn't sound so bad right? But repeat it with an English-ized accent and you'll definitely see what's wrong with it.
Yoo Bangmi.
At one point I almost couldn't breathe.


"Morning Belle. What's up with everyone today?" I asked, looking at the crazier than usual fangirls crowding around the main entrance of Gothem High.
"You wouldn't even believe what's going on. Okay, let me tell you anyway. The best rookies of 2012 so far, EXO, are here to perform a surprise concert at our school! We were lucky enough to get chosen out of the millions, okay I'm exaggerating, but it's basically like a one in a million chance and we were chosen. All the camera people are here too." I only heard EXO and camera people through all the screaming but after putting the pieces together, I understood. I sighed, today's going to be a long day.

DING. DONG. DING. DONG.
The final class bell rang, and everyone was forced to go to their classrooms. The concert was set for the afternoon and everyone was nervous and jittery to the point where they all looked like they were having seizures. Belle, who was in the class next door, came to visit during the work period. "Jeou, do I have news for you. Do you remember Yongguk from elementary? Well, he's an idol now! Doesn't that seem so weird, to think we would personally be acquainted with a celebrity.." I nodded, "It's kind of strange, but we haven't kept in touch and stopped talking since middle school. He probably wouldn't even recognize us. Anyways, you should go back soon. The teacher might notice and I don't want to be out in the hallway for punishment while getting run over by fangirls when the concert's starting." I could tell that Belle was imagining that scene in her head as she shuddered slightly.
"Jeou, I feel that you have a sixth sense. Why do all your scenarios sound so freakishly real?" I laughed. Belle, sometimes I wish my 'sixth sense' wasn't so accurate.

The gymnasium was completely filled from corner to corner and side to side. Many girls were holding up signs of their favourite oppa's name and decorated it with bright flashy neon colours and strange looking animal drawings. Since the seating arrangements were by classes, I could only wave to Belle while crying on the inside. Everyone in the school was talking and only a wave of conversations could be heard until--
"Hey! What's up, Gothem High? You must've heard about the concert. Are you guys excited? What's that? Haha, sorry to keep you all waiting. Let's welcome EXO!"
The MC stated and left the stage. The lights were suddenly turned off and were focused on the stage. Thus, the concert began. Twelve people dressed in a dark, black cape that looked like it came from some sort of exorcist cult appeared and the loud, deafening music began. I recognized the first song to be their main song, MAMA. I liked it and had it downloaded on my ipod even though the beginning sounded like a Satanic chant. It was unique and addictive but most of all, I loved the choreography so, so much. Throughout the performance, there was one member that caught my eye from the beginning but since I wasn't familiar with their names, I couldn't tell which one it was besides the fact that he could dance. He could really dance.

The MAMA perfomance ended and a loud round of applause was given, as well as some cheers and shouts. The MC walked back onto the stage and shut everyone up. "How did you guys like the show so far?" Everyone screamed. "Haha, it was pretty good. Let's all give another round of applause for EXO! We're lucky enough that EXO M is still in Korea at the moment so that we could have all twelve members perform for us today." Another deafening round of applause was given. "Now, now. We should let the members introduce themselves." The twelve members started to introduce them, from left to right. "Hey everyone, we are EXO!" The first person to introduce themselves was a man on the short side with short straight hair and a charismatic smile. "Hello everyone! I'm EXO K's leader, Suho." Then, it was a really humongous, tall, almost beastly but goodlooking man. "Hey, I'm EXO K's rapper Chanyeol!" The rest of the members' names were as following: a cute looking guy named Baekhyun, a wide-eyed owl dude named D.O., a handsome fellow with a lisp named Sehun and the dancer who caught my eye, Kai. In EXO M, the members were: leader Kris, an awkward looking guy Lay, the really adorable one named Luhan, the Sohee from Wondergirls lookalike Xiumin, the guy with amazing vocals named Chen and a guy with super dark undereye circles named Tao.

The fangirls were at the point of going crazy right now. Luckily, the MC finally decided to step in and stop the ruckus. "OKAY. Listen everyone. I know you're all excited because EXO is here but we planned an event for one lucky fan! With the permission from the teachers, we gathered everyone's ipod/music player to make this event successful.." I froze and tuned out for a while. So that's why Teacher Rok confiscated my baby. Ah, he knows I hate it when people touch my source of life; my ipod touch was almost everything to me. "And so, let the games begin!" What. Why is this starting to sound like the Hunger Games. Let what game begin? Pulling me out of my thought, the MC pulled out a number. "Let's see, #359280 Lee Seungyeon! Let's play one of the songs from her ipod." The whole gym was quiet and the music began to play. It was Super Junior's Sorry Sorry. Some of the EXO members were dancing to it causing the crowd to laugh. "Haha, ah. The classic. But since it's so mainstream and well-known, I don't know if you'll win. Let's continue the draw." Now, I was even more confused. I tried to find Belle, only to see that she was so absorbed with this that she couldn't see me frantically waving to her. What was this draw all about? Are we trying to find one of EXO's song on the ipod? "Okay! #274819 Kim Eunjeong! Let's play a song from her ipod." The song started almost immediately this time because the crowd was quiet. It was Sung Shi Kyung's Take Care. This one was one of my favourites. "Ohh, Sung Shi Kyung! I never thought I would hear this one. This may be our lucky winner. Only eight more draws to go!" OKay... I think I'm starting to understand. It must be that the person with the most unique song would win! The next of the following seven songs were EXO's Into Your World, BoA's I'll Eat You Up, Infinite's Can You Smile, Phantom's Hole in your Head, B.A.P's All Lies, Big Bang's Fantastic Baby, and PSY's Gangnam Style. So far, the three most unique ones were Sung Shi Kyung's, Phantom's and PSY's song. Finally, it was the last draw.

"It's almost time to wrap up. Our last lucky person is #350503 Roh Jinwoo!"