Staying Alive ~Chapter 1~

Staying Alive

~3 days ago~

She walked through the thickest. She clutched the back near her. She swore someone was following her through the alley.

There was a sudden rustle of shadow when something stood in front of her.

She never thought it this was last time she saw sunrise. She did not know she would become a creature of the night.

Only thing she remembered was that blood was drained from her body.

~In a university~

“Ryosuke!” A rather cheery voice called out.

Before he could react, He felt a girl cover his eyes from behind. Yamada Ryosuke sighed. It was time he got used to her childishness.

“Arisa!” He laughed and pulled a rather happy girl from behind him.

“Ohayo!” She beamed.

His heart raced like there was no end. Only she could bring out that feeling in him.

“Oi! Yama-Chan!” Her brother and his best friend, Yuto called.

Ryosuke waved as Arisa, hugged his arm.

“She was really hyper to know that you managed to clear first year. I guess my teasing got too far. She was sure you would repeat a year.” Yuto laughed as he watched his sister glare at him.

“I never doubted Ryo! Stop saying things like that! I knew he would pass.... Somehow...” Arisa huffed.

“Yes, my angel. Now hurry! You will be late for class.” Arisa suddenly turned and squealed and ran for class.

“Yuto.” Ryosuke suddenly grew grave.

“Is about last night’s attack?” Yuto asked they walked solemnly to class.

“Papa feels that they are on the move. If we remain close to Arisa it should be fine but....” Ryosuke hesitated.

“It will be soon that they figure out that Arisa is what they are looking for.” Yuto replied.

“Arisa... She is still oblivious about everything isn’t she?” Ryosuke looked up into the sky.

Yuto just nodded.

Arisa was in grave danger as the attacks got worse. If they are not careful, they would get Arisa captured worse... Exterminated.

~In a Prep school~

“So... If you remove the RB gene, you tend to prevent cell death. If the cells do not undergo apoptosis, you have a cancerous cell being formed. Any questions?” Chinen Yuri turned to the students.

Everyone looked up confused. He sighed.

“For the examination.... Memorize but for the University, you should show more interest in science. Its not boring. It is interesting and amazing.” Chinen smiled.

“Sensei! What is your take on the current virus situation?” A student raised her hand.

“I am not sure. It is indeed interesting to know how the anemia caused by the disease leads to the person to drink blood. But science will find a way to prove it!” Chinen smiled as the bell rang.

The students cleared the classroom as Chinen picked up his materials. He frowned. Ab-12 virus,  the current infectious virus that was spreading.

It was still in question how it caused people to drink blood and survive death but at the same time show vampire like characteristics.

“Interesting” Chinen whispered as he walked out of the classroom.

“Chinen- Sensei!” A voice called.

He turned to the head of the science department.

“Do you want to research about the Ab-12 virus?” The department head asked.

Chinen smirked. His chance was here.

~Elsewhere~

He crawled through the alley way as he finished the blood of the victim. She would soon rise in arms with him.

He wore his hood and walked into the crowd. Occasionally children would peek to see what’s under the hood and then shirk in fear. All they could see were bloodshot eyes with yellow iris.

~Back in the university~

Arisa walked quietly to the cafeteria. Class had been stopped on accounts of some weird virus and attacks in the area.

She deiced to wait for Yuto and Ryosuke. Thinking about Ryosuke brought a smile to her face. How long she has been in love with him.

But what did he think of her as?

“Arisa!” Yuto called out and ran to her.

She smiled. Yuto silently ruffled her hair. Her parents had passed away before she was born. Yuto’s family took her in despite the fact they already had a son.

“Let’s get going ne?” Yuto pulled her hand.

“Eh? What about Ryo?” Arisa asked disheartened.

“Yama-Chan has to fill some forms for registration. Don’t worry... Your boyfriend won’t be gone for long.” He patted her head.

“Ahh! He is not my boyfriend!....” Arisa blushed.

Yuto laughed and they walked home. Arisa blushed even harder. Thanks to the silly comment her brother made, she could only think about Ryosuke now.

 There was a sudden screech. Yuto and Arisa were suddenly surrounded by men. Yuto recognized them immediately. They were from the organization.

Their target was Arisa. He swung his fist at the nearest man. Arisa stood shocked when another man grabbed her.

Yuto immediately the kicked the man away and pushed Arisa out.

“Arisa! Run!” He yelled as he punched the man.

“Nii-Chan!” Airsa yelled.

“Run away you Idiot!” Yuto punched the nearest guy.

Arisa started to run away from the scene. She was scared. Who were these people? What did they want with her and Yuto?

Arisa ran into a alley way. She tripped. She tried to get up but realized that she had sprained her leg. She whimpered.

Her cell phone rang.

“Moshi Moshi? Arisa?” Ryosuke’s worried voice relieved her.

“Ryo! Help Nii-Chan! They are beating him! They!....” Arisa spoke incoherently.

“It’s okay! Yuto’s with me! Where are you?”

“In a alleyway. My foot hurts,.... I think I sprained it.” Arisa whimpered.

There were footfalls. Her breathing got heavier as she was scared.

“Keep you cell phone on! I am coming to pick you up.” Ryosuke said urgently.

A sinister laughing rang in her ears. She looked up to see two weird looking men leering at her. She screamed.

One of the lunged at her and pinned her to the ground. She struggled against the man, when he bit her neck. Arisa’s eyes were wide. Suddenly the man jumped away from her.

He was foaming. He withered and fell to the ground. Arisa watched in shock. His companion looked at her and suddenly raised his clawed hand and rushed at her.

Arisa closed her eyes in anticipation. A gunshot was heard. Arisa looked up. The man was walking in the direction of the gunshot.

Another shot rang in the air. The man crumpled to the ground. Arisa noticed the shooter was none other than Ryosuke.

Ryosuke rushed to her. He held her as she began to Hyperventilate.

“He bit me.... He bit me.... Then... Then.... Just crumpled like that.... He.....” Arisa’s fainted in shock.

Ryosuke bit his lips. If Arisa figured out that the current situation was because of who she was... The feat of keeping her alive would not be easy.