Luck

One Man's Trash is Another Man's Treasure

The next few days became a competition of sorts, between Kai and Sehun. Obviously, Kai was winning because he was Luhan’s dearest friend and guardian, kind of. Sehun was the one who’d hurt Luhan and had wormed his way back into Luhan’s heart. Kai had snarled every time Sehun so much as tried to talk to or touch Luhan.

The day they walked out on Sehun’s confession, Luhan had become such a shell of himself that Kai was beside himself with what to do. He’d ended up buying all of Luhan’s favorites: his favorite bubble tea, his favorite snacks, his favorite flowers, his favorite books, and he’d even went so far as to trying to play his favorite songs for him on the guitar.

At the end of it all, Luhan cracked a tiny smile and pressed a small and chaste kiss to Kai’s cheek, who immediately spluttered and blushed.

“Oh, Kai. You are the sweetest friend I’ve ever had. What did I ever do to deserve you?”

Kai stared at him for a moment before pulling him into a crushing hug, laying both of them down in the field where they were sitting.

He absentmindedly Luhan’s hair, and buries his nose in his hair, breathing in the sweet, lemony scent of Luhan.

“I’m the one who wants to know what I did to deserve you, Luhan. Do you know how happy you make me?”

A small giggle was his only reply.

Kai sighed in contentment, closing his eyes and hugging Luhan even tighter to him.

He was happy.

And he would stay happy as long as Luhan was by his side. He smiled as he replayed their memories together.

The moment he’d laid eyes on the perfection known as Luhan, he’d instinctively felt a need to protect the obviously delicate boy.

He’d just never had the chance to.

But, as always, luck shined on Kai.

The day he walked in the park to see Luhan curled up in a ball whimpering, he knew his chance had come and he’d seized it.

He’d comforted him. He’d held him. He’d been there, as a shoulder to cry on, an ear to listen to, and just the best friend possible.

That was all Kai had every wanted: to be the perfect friend for Luhan. As long as Luhan was happy, he would be happy.

But he got more than he asked for: the possibility of being with the most perfect being he’d ever seen.

He’d felt it. Multiple times.

He was sure Luhan had too, if the recent shy glances and blushes he’d been getting were an indication.

There was that sizzle of electricity when they touched lately, that look that the two of them shared. The passion he knew was in his eyes when looked at Luhan, and the pure adoration and trust in Luhan’s eyes as he gazed back at him.

Yes, Kai was quite happy. But now there was an obstacle obstructing his and Luhan’s path to happiness.

Sehun.

 Now, Kai was all for playing fair. You know. All’s fair in love and war.

But what if Sehun puts Luhan through the same over and over again?

He couldn’t stand the thought of watching his beautiful Luhan go through all that pain again.

So, he was going to make his move before Sehun. But he had to wait for the right moment.

Sighing, he just snuggled with Luhan and fell asleep for a little, enjoying the warmth and comfort that Luhan provided.

When he woke up, it was dusk, and Luhan was humming. Kai smiled and shifted a little to let him know he was awake.

He sat up, bringing Luhan with him, and they looked up to marvel at the sky and the clashing colors.

Luhan continued to hum, and laid his head on Kai’s shoulder. Kai laced their fingers together, before pointing excitedly at a batch of trees.

“Look Lulu! Fireflies!!”

Luhan looked over and gasped, his face adopting an expression of childish joy and innocence.

At that moment, Kai swore he could feel the love and happiness flowing through his veins as he gazed upon Luhan’s beautiful face.

“Luhan?”

Luhan turned to him, eyes glittering and smiling.

Kai took a deep breath and braced himself before he leaned forward and gently placed his lips on Luhan’s, looking into his eyes.

When Luhan simply smiled against his lips, he closed his eyes and tightened their linked hands, silently celebrating in the fact that Luhan had not pushed him away.

They stayed like that for a while, eyes closed, lips pressed together in an innocent kiss, their silhouettes outlined by the nearby glow of the descending sunset and fireflies.

When Kai pulled away, he ducked his head, suddenly very self conscious.

Luhan laughed softly, his arms reaching around to encircle Kai’s neck, hugging him to his body.

“Luhan....I can’t express how glad I am to have met you.”

Luhan chuckled and kissed the top of his head.

“Silly. I think you just did.”

Kai looked up hopefully.

“Does that mean that you....?”

He replied by pressing his lips on Kai’s.

“Yes, silly, it does.”

Kai’s heart swelled with happiness. For now, he could enjoy this moment that he shared with Luhan, and revel in the fact that Sehun would never again touch his flower.

-

But, of course, all good things must come to an end. They always do.


I'm so sorry for the late/short update ;-; School started and I'm in my most important year of highschool, so I really need to concentrate for good grades this year and I already have a ton of homework. Ugh, I thought becoming a junior and an upperclassman would be great but it's NOT. anyways. yeah. I'm sorry, updates will be longer but it''ll take some time for me to get them out! I hope you understand!