Two-Shot Sequel: (2) The Third Year

Friendzoned (One Shot) + Two-Shot Sequel

[Author's note: Please read the first part of this two-shot sequel. I made a bit of correction in it.. Sorry for taking too much time before updating the second half of the story. At first I wanted to wait for the poster, but I think I've been keeping the story for too long so I decided to just release it today. Enjoy!]

 

 

Baekhyun hide behind the walls while peeking on Chen delivering presents for Sooyoung before recess ended. He was already fed up with such slow 'development' between his two friends. They were already in second half of their third year but they still declared themselves as friends although it was too obvious they had feelings for each other since first year. It wasn't even an exaggeration that the whole school thought both of them were already dating.

Sooyoung ripped the edge part of the chocolate bar wrapper. "Who asked you to send this?"

"I received payment to keep the person's identity a secret. By the way, there's a little note at the wrapper." Chen told her before he left the classroom and showed Baekhyun a 'v' sign. Baekhyun nodded and left right away cheerfully.

Suho was walking into the classroom when he noticed Sooyoung was glaring suspiciously at him with one hand on her chin and the other hand was busy 'shoving' the entire chocolate bar into .

"What's up with that stare?" He asked her as he felt uneasiness to even sit on his chair. 

"I knew right away that you're definitely not the one who wrote this. But this is funny tho. It says ‘Your smile is sweeter than any chocolate milk with caramel, from perfect guy next to you’," she tried to control her laughter while chewing the chocolate to avoid getting choke.

"What the HECK!" Suho snatched the note from Sooyoung's hand. "Let me imitate Kris, 'this is not my style'."

They laughed. They knew who wrote it. It was too obvious. Among all of their friends, there would be one person who seems would go to that extend for them to be together. Yet, they just let it slipped, acting as if nothing happened.

Baekhyun monitored them for another two weeks. He messed his hair, realizing that the chocolate bar wasn't doing any help. He proceeded with a box of sundae.

"Even sundaes don’t melt under the sun the way you melt my heart, from the perfect guy next to you." Sooyoung laughed her heart out while offering Suho some of those sundaes. 

"Baekhyun has gone crazy." Suho took another spoonful, feeling a bit irritated and embarrassed in front of his best friend.

"He's like a shipper, right? He'll do anything to get the other two people together. I'm not even mad, I love his gifts. These are delicious!" She giggled.

"This is not right. We need to stop him." Suho replied while still taking another spoonful into his mouth.

"Alright, we confront him when he gave me another gift. Is that okay to you?"

He nodded in agreement before changing the conversation topic into their plans for that day.

"Let's just head home. I think I want to give myself a little more time to study. Finals are coming." Sooyoung flipped her notebook to reconfirm her daily study chart. 

Suho didn't say a word when she rejected his suggestion. She apologized as soon as she saw the blank Suho upon hearing her answers.

"No.. no.. not at all. I'm just surprised. You actually decided to give priority on studying rather than playing.. Yes, sure. That's great. Hey, do you perhaps want me to teach you or something?" Suho offered his help.

"I preferred study alone. But.. do want to study in the library together? We can do that. You won't bother me, right? I'll ask you if I have any questions." Sooyoung gave him an alternative suggestion for their Monday afternoon and he agreed to it.

***

Sooyoung held her palm on her forehead while concentrating to memorize history facts from her notes. Suho was finishing up paperwork for school board activities when he realized he was staring at her more than the paper.

He would be lying if all the things his friends told him almost those three years that he had feelings for the girl sitting in front of him didn't bother him at all. He couldn’t even understand himself when it comes to loving a person. The feelings he had for Sooyoung is completely different from the way books and novels described them. For example, his heart supposed to beat faster, his face supposed to heat up, or his stomach would felt butterflies when looking at her. But none of those happened to him. His heart, face and stomach were too calm when she's around. He wasn't nervous at all. He did felt all of those when he was dating Seohyun in the first year. However, one thing for sure, his brain kept on instructing his body to look for Sooyoung all day. He doesn't even know why. The feelings he had for Sooyoung was completely different than Seohyun.

"Are you really that desperate wanted to help me with my studies?" She asked him out of the sudden.

"No. It's good that you don't have any problems with them. Why ask?" He replied her with another question.

"Then, is there something on my face?" She asked him again.

He got what she meant. He had been staring at her again even after he noticed he did it before. "Yeah. That tangled on your hair.. it distracts me so much." He lied. He raised his arm towards her and 'comb' a bundle of Sooyoung's hair strands with his hand towards her right direction. That was when he froze.

"What's wrong?" She asked him again as she noticed he was staring at Sooyoung's face with a serious look.

He was stunned and got himself back upon hearing Sooyoung’s question. He excused himself to go to the restroom. 

He finally felt it. All the descriptions he read in books about how people fall in love - he finally felt it everything in the same time. But it was more complicated than that. It wasn't just the nervousness but he also relieve-ness that she was there in front of him. He felt so calm next to her because he was already in the comfort zone when she was around him. He washed his face. He couldn't believe it. He patted his cheeks few times thinking that those couldn't be real.

He walked out of the restroom towards the focused Sooyoung. He stopped his steps as he remembered the moments when he pulled her hair strands. He knocked his head and went back to the restroom. He needed more time to get himself back.

"Is he sick?" She whispered to herself as she saw him looking so pain.

***

"Seohyun! May I talk to you about something?" Suho called her the next morning.

"What it is about?" She came and asked him. She still had her school bag on her left arm.

The beauty Seohyun emits still let his heart fluttered. She's a beautiful woman. She is the girl that matches his definition of ideal.

"There's something on your hair. Let me take it off" He did the exact same thing as he did towards Sooyoung's hair on the day before. He was too curious about his feelings that he wanted to experiment it to Seohyun, the girl he believed he once really liked. But the feeling was just that. His heart fluttered because of her beauty and nothing more. He was touching someone's hair. He couldn't understand how when he did it to Sooyoung, it could impact him so much. He felt defeated. He finally admitted with himself that he love his best friend. He perhaps loves her earlier before he could even notice it.

He settled himself on his seat in the classroom. He was speechless the whole day. Sooyoung sensed her best friend wasn’t being himself. But she let the negative thought slide away because Suho’s sudden changed of less-talkativeness might due to the upcoming final exam. She let him dealing with his problem as she thought the guy might also need some space.

He went home thinking if he should just tell his best friend about his feelings. However, since finals were just around the corner, he decided to keep them to himself for the time being. 

Since then, the interactions between Sooyoung and Suho were all serious as both of them aiming for good scores in finals.

***

When the last final paper was finally over, Suho turned his head towards Sooyoung to initiate conversation, "I thought you want to marry a rich man. Why study now?"

Sooyoung laughed, "That's my secret. I'm actually a genius."

"Huh?" Suho's face was distorted hearing such words. 

"I know you wouldn't believe me. Just wait for the results next week. I'm very confident with my answers for all papers." She smirked.

At that precise moment, Chen entered the class with a bouquet of variety flowers. Sooyoung took them from him and read the note while laughing, "There's no flowers prettier than your smile, from the perfect guy next to you." 

"BAEKHYUN!! SHOW YOURSELF!!" She shouted his name. It wasn't her intention to draw so much attention from the rest of students as well. All of Suho's eleven friends and Sooyoung's eight friends were there; wondering what was the shouting was all about.

"Ahhh!!! Suho gave you flowers!! That's so sweet!!" Baekhyun appeared among the crowded students as he walked closer to the two friends.

She walked back at him, standing really close to Baekhyun and smacked the flowers on his head. "Don't act like you know nothing. This is from you!"

"What are you talking about? Don't you read the note?" Baekhyun rubbed his head while trying to defend himself.

"How do you know there's note along with this flower?" Sooyoung's question left the boy speechless. He was trapped by his own words.

She smiled while resting her arms on his shoulder. "When it comes to love, you should never use force. Even if you felt me and Suho looks good to each other, we indeed are just friends. We will find someone we really like. Please support us with just that. Will you? You're a good friend."

Baekhyun pouted in defeat. 

"By the way, where did you get those sundae and chocolates? You spend too much money on presents.." Sooyoung commented.

"I only spend my money on the flowers. My parents run a chocolate factory. I got those for free." He replied.

Sooyoung stared at him, "Suddenly you look so handsome. Wanna be my boyfriend? I want to go to see the factory with my own eyes."

"Pfft. Like that would happen. You don't love me. You love the chocolate factory." Baekhyun replied, boringly.

Sooyoung rested her head on Baekhyun's shoulder while wiggling her shoulder as a joke as if she was desperately trying to get him to love her. "I love you if you let me love the chocolate factory~" She even winked at him.

"If you really want to see the factory that badly, I guess I can bring you there. My parents would be happy to meet a girl who has high interest in the chocolate production." Baekhyun suddenly changed his tone, looking at her. At that point, nobody knew if Baekhyun was actually decided to get her for himself although he was rooting for her and Suho before. 

"What a twist." Xiumin laughed, making all the students who were watching the 'drama' laughed as well.

Suho, who was standing silently without moving an inch since the appearance of Baekhyun, made his move towards the almost 'new blossoming lovebirds'. 

"I'm... opposing this," Suho was breathing really hard that even students standing on the last row of the crowd could see his chest gasping for air. He had a very calm face, but his body somehow seemed like it could explode in any moment. 

"What?" Sooyoung blinked her eyes, wondered what the hell the meaning of his words is.

Her voice made him realized the crowded classroom he was in. All of his friends and classmates were watching him quietly. While he was trying his best to coop with his embarrassment for his sudden objection, he pulled Sooyoung's arm away from the crowd. He had to admit was freakingly annoyed and jealous of the slight romantic interaction that Sooyoung and Baekhyun had a little while ago. He knew Sooyoung too well about her love towards food. Although it seems impossible in his head, but the possibility that she might end up really liking Baekhyun because of his family background is still there.

He ran as fast as Sooyoung could catch up running along with him.

He ran towards the back of the building and sat down right under the art room's window. Sooyoung was panting heavily, unable to say any words to him.

She was indeed mad at him for pulling her all of the sudden. She took one huge breath to end the panting before turning her head to Suho. She was about to start yelling at him when he pressed his lips against hers. He kissed her softly, waiting for her response. It was more than a couple of.. perhaps dozens of seconds, he couldn't feel any sort of rejection from her, at least an inch of movement. He took it as she accepting his feelings, and so he kept on kissing her harder before finally released it after realizing there was indeed no reaction from her. 

He opened his eyes while staring at her face while he moved his body away from hers slowly.

"That's it? You pulled me all the way here just for that?" Sooyoung asked him. There was a slight frustration on her tone.

"Huh? What do you mean? You want more?" Suho asked her, quite taken aback with her question.

She stood up while brushing her school uniform with her hand from the dirt. "Baekhyun was going to let me visit a chocolate factory. At least wait until he told me the time he would bring me there before pulling me here without telling the reason in the first place! Gosh. I'm going back to class." 

She left Suho dumbfounded with her reaction. It took him awhile to digest every single word she said. He couldn't help but to notice she was indeed has no feelings towards him. He cursed under his breath. It was too obvious that he was being rejected. He stared blankly at the grass in front of him while trying his best to stay calm, a way he felt could mend his broken heart.

***

Baekhyun was walking on the hallway, trying to find ‘the run-away couple’, when he realized another crowd of students at the school's garden. He tried to sneak in to get a better look of 'the thing' that caught everyone's attention. 

"SOOYOUNG!!!" He screamed while pushing everyone hard enough for him to move forward.

He pulled the weak Sooyoung, who was lying with her face facing the ground, onto his arms. 

"SOOYOUNG!! Are you alright?" He shook her body, waiting for her answers. He could felt her breathing and her eyes were wide open too. Baekhyun had no idea what made her motionless in the middle of walking pathway.

He asked a help from a student who was there to bring her to the infirmary room after he sensed her face was hotter than a normal person.

***

"Is she's fine?" Baekhyun asked the nurse, while waiting worriedly for Sooyoung to wake up.

"There's nothing to be worried about. She's fine. I'm guessing she's in a shock state. You just need to give a bit more time for her to calm down.. Was todays’ exam paper too surprising? If it was, I should bring this to the school meeting," the nurse was pulling out a pen, waiting to write down Baekhyun's statement. Sooyoung was still lying on the nurse bed motionless.

"No.. I don't think so.. She was fine when I talk to her before she disapp..." Baekhyun paused. That was the moment he realized it might be something to do with Suho. He politely told the nurse that he need to go somewhere for a while.

He went all over the classroom and hallway, yelling out his name. Yet, he was nowhere to be found. Giving up, he went to Suho's desk and left a piece of note about the sick Sooyoung in the infirmary. Baekhyun ran back towards the infirmary as soon as he done. He could've told his friends to inform her girlfriends about it but his instinct was telling him that something might have going wrong between the two best friends. He wanted those two to settle their own problem before telling others she was there.

As soon as he arrived, Sooyoung was sitting on the bed with the nurse comforting beside her. The nurse was laughing all by herself while Sooyoung was hiding her face under the blanket.

"Are you alright now, Sooyoung?" He asked her, worried.

"HOW CAN I BE ALRIGHT??!!!" She jumped off the bed like a crazy woman, grabbing Baekhyun's collar and shaking them continuously. 

"What? What? Did Suho do something to you? What?" Baekhyun asked her again, panicking.

"THAT WAS MY FREAKING FIRST-.." She stopped speaking in the middle of the sentence. 

"First?" Baekhyun asked her, gently.

There was a long paused as she tried to avoid his eyes. She nervously let go of the grip while staring at the floor. The nurse's laughter grew louder while observing her reaction.

"First what?" He asked her again. 

She slapped his shoulder hard enough to make his entire body to lost balance. "It's none of your business." She hissed before bowing to the nurse and quickly left the infirmary without Baekhyun.

"What?" Puzzled, as he watched Sooyoung left the scene. The nurse patted his head while telling him to let her settled her own matters by herself. She continued to laugh even until Baekhyun left the room.

Suho was just reaching his desk and read the note that Baekhyun left when Sooyoung appeared in front of him.

"You're sick?" He asked her while his eyes roaming at Sooyoung's entire body, looking for bandage or something.

Sooyoung didn't say a word. She packed all the exam notes inside her bag and ran off from the classroom, heading home. 

Suho sighed loudly as he ruffled his hair, regretting his earlier action.

***

Both Sooyoung and Suho didn't talk much when they met again the next week. They did, but the conversation that they had is just about gathering classmates for sports match. Since the final exam was already over, the third year students were given a week before the graduation ceremony to 'play' in order to fill in the time gap for teachers to prepare for the student's final results. 

The awkwardness between them was huge in the first day of the week. However, thanks to the school sports event that requires students into the class participation and discussion, their awkwardness was reduced to almost none on the last day. But during the entire week, the kiss topic was never mentioned by any of them.

Sooyoung participated in a basketball match while Suho in soccer. Their class managed to get first for basketball and yet they were ranked last in overall sports match against the other two classes. The third class won the entire tournament. 

It was already the last day of the week when they heard students shouting at the hallway about the final exam results were already posted on the school board. Without wasting even a minute, the whole class ran towards the school hall. 

Suho watched the list from behind. He could already saw his name on the very top of the list. He was ranked first in the entire school. It didn't take that long for him to notice the name written right below his name. He squint his eyes for clearer view. Unable to believe what he saw, he made his way inside the crowd to reconfirm the name that he saw. 

"Don't make that face! I already told you I'm a genius!" Sooyoung grinned from behind.

Suho walked himself out of the crowd towards her while making an amusement facial expression. They both continued walking in the hallway heading to their classroom.

"But.. I can't believe it. You could've been in the first class. Why wait for the very last final exam to score?" He asked her, pondered.

"I love second class. You wouldn't get as much pressured on studying like in the first class and you wouldn't feel the sense of giving up from teachers like in the last class. Second class is just perfect," she smiled as she skipped some of her steps to follow Suho’s walking steps.

"But you don't need to go that far of being lazy the whole three years. Gambling for the very final exam is too risky. You know that you could always ask the teachers to keep you in the second class? They will listen to you if you insist.." He replied while playfully changed his steps uncoordinatedly. 

"Ahhh... so that's how you end up in the second class!" She exclaimed joyfully.

There was a long silence from him. He was unable to speak because of the reason he did it.

"Miss me?" She tapped his arm while facing the opposite side of him.

He felt a sudden burst on his face upon hearing her words. He took a glance and saw Sooyoung's left ear was all red.

"Yeah, kind of." He rubbed his neck, coping with his nervous state.

There was another long pause before he spoke again, "Hey, about the kissing thing.. I-"

Before he could finish up his sentence, Sooyoung turned her body in front of him while her head facing to the floor. "After the graduation ceremony, is it fine if you give me your uniform's second button?" 

"Is it as a punishment for what I did?" He asked her curiously.

"Yeah.. a punishment. Let's go with that." She lifted her blushed face up, smiling at him before ran to her desk to prepare for home.

***

Suho was watching Sooyoung waiting for her regular red Ford Fiesta to come. He did once ask her reasons she came to school with that car because it doesn't reflect her family status. It was then he understood she doesn't and never like the attention given by other students. Especially during her first year which her popularity rose solely because of her looks. She doesn’t want to add her family background along with it.

"Hey, missing your girlfriend already?" Kai poked him from behind.

Suho smiled without a word before he noticed the missing button on Kai's school jacket. 

"Kai, when a girl asked you to give her the second button after graduation.. what kind of consequence might happen afterwards? Is it really that bad?"

"What are you talking about?"

"I mean, what makes a missing second button of your unused school uniform is categorized as a punishment? I really can't think of any bad side effect to it.."

"Did Sooyoung asked for you for your second button?" Kai eyes widen, hoping his hunch was right.

"How did you know that? Were you there when she asked me?" 

"No, idiot! In Japanese culture, after graduation ceremony, the girls will ask the button from the boys she like. The reason is.. the second button is the closest to his heart. So if you give it to her, it means you like her back. It's more like a love confession without verbally expressing it." 

"Are you sure?" He asked Kai again, disbelieved.

"Trust me! But in your case, my advice is.. do not give her the second button of the outer layer that she requested. Give her the third small button of your white shirt. That one is a lot more closer to your heart. And plus, we don't know if our parents or teachers like the idea of a missing second button because some says the tradition originated from the Japan’s WWII."

"You are unexpectedly smart when it comes to these sorts of things..." Suho clapped in amazement.

"Huh? Should I take that as a praise or sarcasm?" Kai playfully smacked his back.

***

The school graduation ceremony started with students sitting inside the school's assembly hall while listening to speeches before the principal handed a pile of graduation certificate to the class representatives and best students in respectable areas. Suho went up the stage as Sooyoung observed his every moment, remembering what happened after he kissed her two weeks prior the time.

[Flashback]

She ran as fast as she could from the building before her legs started to tremble due to a sudden shock she received. Her calmness faded faster than she could even imagine as she falls down in the middle of the school's garden. 

"It was my very first kiss.." She mumbled quietly all by herself. She was mad because he didn't give her any warning and yet she felt huge amount of joy inside her heart that he actually did it. She let her body took a bit of time to relax and gain energy before stood up again and acted like nothing happened.

But her desire was hindered as students started to crowd around her, wondering why she was lying on a grass. She was too embarrass to 'wake up' especially after Baekhyun frantically came, thinking she was sick. She played along and let him and a student she doesn't know carried her to the infirmary. Acting sick like a dead fish was her way to reduce such humiliation that she caused.

Right after Baekhyun left the infirmary for a short time, Sooyoung bend her body to hug her knees while repeatedly apologizing the nurse. She told her about the kiss that causes her to a momentarily paralyzed. The nurse couldn't stop laughing as she kept asking her if it was her first time encounters such incident. 

"You're on your last month of your senior year and this is the first time someone kissed you?" The nurse laughed again, but her hand was comfortly rubbing Sooyoung's back.

She nodded in embarrassment before she yelled again. "He is my best friend! My very best friend!! How could he do that?!"

"You know.. Usually, girls would just slap a person who kissed them like that. The fact that you ran away from him and the kiss made you in this kind of state... doesn't that tells you that you probably… perhaps love him too without knowing?" 

"Of course I love him. He's my best friend! But the part when I fall down might be because it was my first time… so.."

"I think you got it wrong. Even if he's your best friend.. only if you really have no feelings for him, you would've slap him.. or at least show a huge rejection towards the kiss. But you waited for him to finish with the kiss. Now tell me, when he kissed you, do you felt your heart wanting to explode so badly?"

She pulled the blanket and hid her face inside it. Her face had turned dark red as she couldn't deny her heart did felt like more than just wanting to burst. 

"But it was my first kiss.. He should've asked me first.." She sobs quietly before Baekhyun appeared at the infirmary door asking for her health condition.

[End of flashback]

***

After-ceremony was filled with students taking pictures with their respective friends and family. Suho sneaked away from his group while quietly calling Sooyoung to join him in the mid of unofficial picture sessions. 

They walk side by side, silently as they passed through the hallway, classroom, cafeteria, library and finally to the empty school garden. 

"I want to give you this." He showed her a transparent small button on his right hand while showing her the missing third button of his shirt using his left hand.

"Thanks." She accepted it, shyly as she faced the ground.

"The button... is because.. you.. urm.. like the japanese culture.. that you know.. because you... towards me.. your feelings.." Suho was stuttering so bad that his words don’t make any sense. He rubbed his neck in frustration unable to at least appear cool in front of her.

"You knew? I thought you would.." She replied with her head still looking down.

"Sooyoung, look at me." Suho lifted her head gently on her chin. Her face was crimson red and he was sure it wasn't because she was angry. Her facial was more on the soft side that he was very confident she was blushing.

"I think I like you more than just as a best friend. Like a special kind of person. More like my life partner." His words finally came out properly. It was probably because he gained a bit of self-assurance from Sooyoung's expression that she was probably in love with him too.

"Me too. I think I really like you too." She finally admitted it in front of him.

Their nervousness turned into a smile and the smile turned into laughter. They were standing there laughing, recalling all the things they've done in the past. None of them knew when they could possibly start developing feelings for each other. But one thing for sure, they were amazed at how confident Baekhyun was when they were in the first year about the two of them could be in love. 

The talk ended as Suho took the lead to kiss Sooyoung properly like a real gentleman.

"I TOLD YOU!!!! I TOLD YOUUUUUU!!!!! WOOOOOOHHHHHHHH~~!!!!!" A sudden scream of joy was heard from the edge of the garden.

The couple broke of their kiss in surprise because of the loud voice. And there were stood Suho's eleven best buddies and Sooyoung's eight close friends, clapping to the new relationship. Apparently, their disappearance during the photo session made the group went out looking for them since both Sooyoung and Suho left their phone inside their bag.

"FINALLYY~~!!!!!! OH MY GOD~~~!!!! IT TAKES AGES!!" Baekhyun yelled at them, grinning as his OTP is finally officially a couple.

"Urghh.. this is so embarassing!" Sooyoung hide her face with her hand, as she couldn't stand the attention especially after being caught kissing in front of all her friends.

Suho held the hand that hides her face and smiled at her, "It's okay. I'm here."

She smiled back at him before they continued walking towards their friends without letting go each other hand.

 

[Two-shot sequel - THE END!!]