Two-Shot Sequel: (1) The Third Year

Friendzoned (One Shot) + Two-Shot Sequel

[Author's note: I went hiatus for a long time because my laptop died and all my story data were gone. And thus, I lost my willingness to write.  But..when I came here again last night, I found out that this story still gained subscribers although it's a one shot story with 'completed' mark on it. Therefore, here's a little present for those who subscribes. You guys are the best! Thanks! xoxo]

 

[Warning: The reason why Friendzoned is a one-shot story is because I felt that if I make it longer, it will get boring.. So this is basically the untold story from the one-shot. Which means...it's a bit boring.. yeah.. anyway.. hope you guys enjoy it~ and....please excuse my poor grammar and vocabulary usage here.(-_-'")]

 

 

 

It was their first day of third year high school.

 

Suho was leisurely walking outside the school ground before frantically running when he heard the sound of the school bell chimed. Just like the first day of his first year in that school, he arrived at his class late. He slide the door open while panting heavily. 

 

“That’s rare, Junmyeon.. How come you’re late?” Asked the new homeroom teacher, who was also his second year’s mathematic instructor, wondering how on earth one of the school's 'chosen' students would carelessly tardy on the first day.

 

“Sorry Miss Park, I got distracted while I'm on my way here. I promise it won’t happen again.” Suho bowed exactly 90 degree for couple of seconds to express his regret-ness. 

 

Miss Park sighed as she chose to be 'kinder' by not giving the boy any punishment. “Quick, go and seat at any empty seat.”

A small smile formed on Suho's lips as he saw the same empty seat beside his best friend of his first year, Choi Sooyoung.

“Hey!!!” He settled down as he hang his bag at the left side of the desk while gave her a secret 'good morning' greeting.

While the teacher was not looking, Sooyoung moved her body closer to him to ensure he heard her whisper. “I don’t like this class. None of my closest girl friends are here.”

“But you have me.” He replied while pulling out his Math text book out.

"Yeah, right," sarcastic sound of short chuckles came out of . Suho playfully pushed her shoulder far from him, responding to her actions.

Sooyoung was about to start focusing on class when something came up in her head. She poked her friend again when Miss Park was facing the blackboard to write a mathematical equation. “Suho, weren't you in the top 10 best students last year? What the heck are you doing in the second class?”

Suho lifted his shoulder for a second, “How would I know?”

What Sooyoung doesn’t know is that Suho holds a little secret.

 

[Flashback Time: Last year]

During their second year, Sooyoung was placed in the second class while Suho was in the first class for his excellence in studying. There wasn’t much interaction between them during that one whole year because Sooyoung made some close friends with eight girls and Suho also found his ‘gang’ with his other eleven members. Most of the time, they would be playing and hanging out together with their respective 'groups'. 

He missed talking to her.

Every time he wanted to talk to her, she asked for excuses because she had plans with her friends. He couldn’t blame her, especially having eight friends, because basically her day will automatically filled with her friends’ activities and promises - just like him with his eleven friends. Their schedule never matched.

That was when he started to think of a plan.

He purposely 'tried' to get lower grade for the final exam. However, when the exam results came out, he was surprised that the exam curves dropped and it turned out his marks were actually pretty high. He was ranked the seventh best student that year, and yet it was an alarm to the teachers because he is one of the school’s perfect students. 

He got called to the office but instead of apologizing for his mistake, he requested to the teachers to put him in the second class the next year so that he could sharpen his knowledge by helping his classmates. He claimed that his grade dropped because none of his friends in the first class needed him, a complete opposite atmosphere when he was in the first year.

“But the list of students has already been determined. If you want to get into the second class, I need to swap you with another student..” His homeroom teacher told him the impossible.

Suho was secretly reading the list of the second class and saw Sooyoung’s name just like he predicted. He scanned the list, looking for Sooyoung’s friends name and saw Sunny’s name on it.

“What if you swap me with Sunny? She should seat in the first class. I heard she’s a very good friend with Taeyeon. Taeyeon might help her with her study..” 

He lied. His intention was never for Sunny's improvement but was just merely an excuse to get him closer again to Sooyoung. If her friends are in the class, the possibilities of him to get to talk to her will be low after all the efforts he did to get into the second class.

“You got a point, but Junmyeon, we teach each class differently. First class will be more on self-study while the second class is more on discussion between partners.. If you switch with Sunny, then the second class’s number of boys and girls will be in odd numbers. That will lead to one pair of girl-boy seating arrangement.” The teacher showed him his concern.

“It’s alright, I’ll sacrifice for it. It’s not going to be the first time I sit beside a girl anyway. My partner was a girl during my first year. It should be fine.” 

Suho's insistences brought himself a victory.

[End of Flashback]

 

Suho grinned as he remembered all the troubles he went through last year. He was that desperate to get his best friend next to him again. But he had to admit, being able to sit next to her, is a huge bonus on his part. Even if he got a seat beside another girl, he will pull Sooyoung and her partner to him and help them during the partner discussion. And because of that, he needed to arrive late, late enough so that his seat will be on the 'girl side' of the class. A part of him was ashamed of himself but another huge part was congratulating his successful 'mission'. 

His eyes were on the blackboard when Sooyoung secretly smiled all by herself. Sooyoung too, was keeping something from him.

 

[Flashback Time: One hour before the first day of school started]

She came early that day to avoid crowdedness in front of that year's class list.

She was scanning her name in the second class, predicted that her name will be on it again. She was right. She nodded while rescanning the list again to look for any of her eight friends names on it and was disappointed that she will be the only one in that class. She was about to leave when she noticed Kim Junmyeon's name on the very bottom of list. She rubbed her eyes, hoping that her sleepiness from waking up too early weren't betraying her. His name was there. She let out a short laugh. She would be lying if she wasn’t happy knowing that Suho will be in her class. She really missed talking to him.

She went to the designated class and placed her bag at the last desk of the back row beside window. She sat for a while, thinking of a way to get Suho to sit beside her. She quickly hid the next desk’s chair below the staircase.

She sat on her place lazily while watching her new classmates one by one picking their own desks while offering the next seat to others. She pretended to sleep while secretly observing the class. Whenever a classmate came near her, hoping to get a seat next to her, he or she will left for another seat without saying a word, thinking that the desk might not supposed to have an owner. 

She was waiting for Suho to come to greet her before rushing outside to get the hidden chair. Her hope sank when Suho didn't appear. In that moment, she thought that the class list was a mistake and he might be in the first class like in the last year.

When there was about a couple minutes before her new homeroom teacher entered the class, she 'woke up’; acting like as if she was dumbfounded why there was no chair beside her and acted nice looking for it. 

Miss Park was already calling out names for attendance when Sooyoung realized she was the only person without a desk mate. She was disappointed with a thought that she will be sitting alone for the whole year. However, her frustration ended when Suho finally made his first entrance inside that class awhile later.

She put a lot of effort, not to show any sort of happiness emotions in front of the teachers and her fellow classmates when he sat beside her.

[End of flashback]

The learning went as usual. Suho would help Sooyoung during class but both of them went separately to their respective group of friends during recess. Their interactions were merely inside the classroom and nothing more. Suho realized it sooner and decided he need more time with her.

It was already the end of the school day when Suho offered to walk her home to catch up all the things they missed last year.

“Now that you mention about it.. you never walked me home before. The last time you did.. haha..” She stopped as she quickly remembered there was indeed a time when she and Suho almost went home together but Seohyun came with her innocent love confession.

Sooyoung glanced at him awkwardly, with an apologetic expression for mentioning about his failed relationship.

“Past is the past. But more importantly, do you realize that although we have been friends for two years now, both of us have no idea where each other houses are?” Suho asked her, with a slight sound of irritation in his voice.

She nodded in agreement but seconds later she froze after remembering a promise she made before the school started. “I almost forgot. Sorry Suho, I can’t. I promised the girls to celebrate our first day of new term after school. We’re going to eat ramen, today. SORRY!!”

Suho sighed. “Promise must always need to be fulfilled. It’s okay.”

“What’s up with quotations in beginning of your sentences? You sound really like a textbook right now. Is this the same Suho I knew for the last two years?” She giggled while jokingly poking his arm.

He smiled back and waved good bye to her. While walking his way out of the classroom, he heard her voice calling him from behind. “I don’t think I have made any promises yet for the next Monday…”

“Cool! Then, let me book for that day! I have a lot of stories to tell you!” He grinned and bid her a second good bye.

*** 

"I see you're sitting beside your ex-manager." Taeyeon giggled, making fun of Sooyoung. 

"Yup. It felt like I'm back to my first year days." She smiled, trying her best to diverge the topic to school before it went to their 'theories' about her feelings to Suho.

It wasn't something new that her friends were suspicious about it. Even Seohyun, their most innocent friend, claimed that Sooyoung was really slow when it comes to her own feelings. Seohyun once displayed her frustration because even after a year she moved on from Suho and currently happily in relationship with Yonghwa, both Sooyoung and Suho still stayed as friends and nothing more.

"Girls, may I ask something?" Sooyoung spoke after she was done her Shio Ramen. The girls paused their eating, shifting their attention to the suddenly-serious Sooyoung.

"If I arranged my time…like hanging out with you after school based on days. Will that be okay? For example, for today, we're hanging out as 9, tomorrow I'll be following Taeyeon, the day after tomorrow I'll be with Jessica, then on Thursday it will be Sunny and this Friday, I'll be with Tiffany. Then, the following week, I'll be with Hyoyeon on Tuesday, Yuri on Wednesday, followed by Yoona and Seohyun for on Thursday and Friday respectively. And the schedule will repeats again for the following week. I know it's weird, but it is okay?" 

"What's your plan on the next Monday?" Yoona asked her, curiously.

"I thought I want to hang out with Suho. He sits beside me in class now. So.." She answered her in a low volume.

Her answer gave laughter to her friends. They were actually happy. They were relieved that those two finally have progresses.

"Screw the hang-out chart, Sooyoung! Take all Mondays you want!" Yuri exclaimed.

"Well.. I don't need all Mondays. You girls are ranked above him after all. It's just a friend-matter.. That’s all. Actually, now that I think about it again, how about once a month?" Sooyoung tried her best to emphasize her friendship with Suho was nothing compared to her love towards the girls.

"No. I disagree. When we said all Mondays, then that day is officially give-some-space-for-Sooyoung day." Jessica laughed again.

As much as Sooyoung tried to reject the idea of her friends’ from having wrong thoughts about her relationship with Suho, they won the argument. 

The very next morning, both Sooyoung and Suho came early. She told him about "all Mondays" conversation she had with her friends. Suho was listening to her calmly before telling her to send his thankfulness towards her friends. He later promised Sooyoung that he would also request the same thing to his fellow friends. 

The same reaction was given by his friends, especially Baekhyun. They permitted his request to be out of the group on Mondays after school. All of them could clearly see the close relationship those two had and no one could admit how obvious it was to see them took secret glances at each other and spaced out during the second year. What depressed them the most was that the two of them would always be pushing each other away when one of their friends suggested the two to do something with it. And every single time, their answer will be "We are just friends, and not more than that."

***

It was finally Monday afternoon when Suho reminded her about their plans to catch up with all stories from last year. Sooyoung started off with the stories of her friends and how they end up being together all the time. When her stories reached to Seohyun, she paused again, remembered that her friend was once dating Suho.

“It’s okay. I already moved on.” He reminded her again after noticing the sudden uncomfortable-ness in her tone.

“Right. But why aren’t you dating anyone since then? Do you perhaps have someone else you like?”

“Is it a must to have someone I like if I’m single? I’m just a student who’s into studying so much. Well, if you want an actual answer, then, my girlfriend is the text books." 

"Pfft. What a nerd. That doesn't sound like you have a life."

"Whatever. Then tell me if you have someone you like? How is it even possible, one of the most famous girls in our school, isn't dating anyone in her second year?"

"That’s because I'm in love with my PSP. But I heard Sony already stop shipping them. I don't understand. I love that game console."

"Sooyoung.." Suho gave her a very serious look.

"What?"

"Get a life."

She laughed and playfully pushed him away while he chuckled and apologized for his quick revenge.

They continued their path when Suho realized they were heading towards the same direction to his house.

Sooyoung suddenly pointed out his determination with books before he could ask her about her house, "Why do you love study so much? I remember you told me some time before that you are inheriting your parent's business? If you already had a job.. Do you really need to study that hard? I think you should relax and enjoy yourself now. You know you won't going to get any fun once you start working.."

"I don't want to be just an inheritor. I don't want to see my father's company collapse under my management. I must learn a lot so I could do my job properly in the future. Just because I am born in a rich family doesn't entitled me to play around all day. I need and will repay my parents back with my skills." 

Every single word that came out from his mouth mesmerized her. She was literally staring at him, not realizing that she was blushing while listening to him. For Sooyoung, his life principle was superb especially for a girl who grew up being introduced to jerks and douche rich sons that plays around all day. It wasn't that long until she finally noticed she IS one of those people who play around. She got herself back, felling annoyed with the boy standing beside her.

"Huh, yeah, doesn't entitled you to play around all day," she repeated his words while pouting as she fasten up her walking pace ahead of him.

He laughed as he quickly remembered her addiction to games. "Haha.. come on Sooyoung. You know how important it is to learn, isn't it? I mean, what would you do for your future if you don't study now?"

"I just married a rich business man who wants to merge with my father's business. Easy." She answered him irritatedly. She lied. Her family isn’t the kind that pressured their children with business marriage. Her parents are married from love.

"Wait, what?" 

She stopped walking before turning her body facing him. "Let's be serious. I have zero interest in business or even architecture. The only way I'm going to survive after graduation is getting into business marriage. That's how I'm going to help my father with his company before I proceed with my dreams. Daughters and sons from rich families are indeed being treated differently. Arrange business marriage is how I repay them in the future." She wasn’t even sure why she lied at him about it. It might be because of the annoyance she felt after Suho seemed to view her as a person who doesn’t have any plans.

He stared at her disbelieved. 

"Are we done? I need to get inside." She tiredly asked him.

"This is your house?!" He was shocked. She lived inside the third largest house in the area. The area itself is already one of the most expensive neighborhoods in Gangnam. He knew the owner of the house from his father. That house belongs to the successful architecture business company in South Korea.

"Why?" She asked him, wondering what was with his tone of shock-ness.

"I lived three streets ahead." He pointed to his house. He was surprised that he could already see his room's balcony from the place he stood. It was on that exact point when he realized after all this while, he could have seen her from his room but he couldn’t just because he choose to lock himself inside to study. He did sometimes slide the balcony curtains for natural light but his view would always on his eye level. He never took time to look scenery below.

"Ahh.. your dad runs a college bussiness! No wonder you love books!" She smiled at him before waved him good bye as she entered her house.

Sooyoung too, knew the owner of the house but never had she known Suho is their son. Sooyoung’s family love to have tea time in the garden and that was when her father would tell a bit of stories about rich families who are living near them. The stories would give her advantages in conversation when she’s in rich families’ party events.

*** 

Early the next morning, Suho pulled out the full glass sliding door while made his way out on the balcony. He took a deep breath of fresh air before he caught Sooyoung walking with a toast on while clumsily putting on her shoes outside her house towards the entrance. She saw him, and quickly shot an invisible arrow towards his direction. 

Suho moved his body while grabbing his shirt, specifically where his heart was located. He showed her a painful expression before collapsing, immersed in his own acting. He stood up again to check on the laughing Sooyoung. She waved him 'good morning' and went inside a small red Ford Fiesta. 

After she's gone from his sight, he saw a wide grin from Baekhyun below on the street, who was watching him all along while pointing to Sooyoung's house. He forgot Baekhyun would wait for him every day to go to school together. He thought that his friend would be making fun of him like always, but he stayed silent about it as if the earlier moments never happened.

*** 

Weeks had gone by since then. Their friendship was even closer thanks to the all-Monday-afternoon time given by their friends, which is something they didn't have in the first year. It was around the first half of the school year when Suho realized Sooyoung had actually put a little bit of attention towards learning. However, when the midterm was finally over, she went back to her gamer-self. 

It was another Monday when Suho hissed on Sooyoung for bringing her PSP to school and actually played with it during the class intervals. 

"Can't you just leave that at home?" He eyed her, disbelieved of what he saw.

"Usually I do that. But this time, I can't. I'm stuck in this level. It's been five days already." She answered without even bothered looking at him.

"Can I try?" Suho asked her.

She paused her game in instance, as she couldn't digest the words coming from him. But she handed her PSP to him anyway, "Sure."

"Let see.." He tried and observed the game, while listening to Sooyoung's instruction about the rules. He failed the level on purpose to restart it again.

The third time after restarting, he managed to bring the level up. He showed her his victory sign as she hugged him thankful for his awesomeness. 

She released him from her grip while awkwardly moved her body back to her position. Suho couldn’t say a word. There was a long silence between the two due to awkwardness before they both erupted into laughter. 

 

Sooyoung was still laughing when she ask forgiveness for unintentionally hugging him. She was about to take her PSP back when Suho raised his arm that holds her game far from her again. 

"Nope. I'm not giving this to you. This game shouldn't be allowed in the school ground." He shook his head.

"Pfft, I'm taller than you. You think I can't reach that?" She smirked and quickly shot her arm to grab the game from him. That was when she realized their faces were so close to each other that she quickly retreat 'her mission' and positioned herself back on her seat for the second time. 

 

There was another long second silence before Sooyoung broke it off, "Oh come on.. That's unfair! Look, why would school allow chess but not PSP? Both require intelligence and there isn’t any physical exercise involved in it! Just give it back to me!" 

"What are you talking about? Chess is board game and PSP is not. Plus, the only games you can play are the ones provided by school. A game that belongs at home is meant to play at home. Don't mix that up." Suho told her calmly as he rechecked his answers in his workbook.

"Ugghhh.. I forgot you are one of the student boards.." She sighed giving up on their bickering. She placed her chin on the table while mumbling being really bored without game by her side.

"Why don't you play outside? It's healthier that way." He told her. He felt guilty keeping PSP away from her but wasn't planning to give it back until the school ended for that day.

"Meh, you talk like you do.. I never saw you in the school field either." She rolled her eyes.

Suho laughed, "Of course I do! I didn’t get a perfect body from doing nothing! I'll show you after school!"

***

He held her arms and pulled her to a silver Mercedes waiting outside the school's gate. 

"Where are we going?" she asked him in confusion.

"You'll see. My secret of getting a great body."

***

"You called this a secret of getting a great body?!" She narrowed her eyes horizontally, disbelieved of what she saw.

They arrived at the golf course, located a couple of miles from their school.

"Let's go, I'll show you how it's done." He was about to pull out his golf equipment when Sooyoung stopped him.

"Driver-nim, I'm so sorry.. Could you please drive us back to school? This young man here has no idea what playing really is."

***

"I can't believe you just said that. What's wrong with playing golf? It builds muscle.." He pouted while showing his arm muscles while being dragged by Sooyoung towards a basketball court at a park near to their school.

"Build muscle my ." She snorted while heading to a group of kids to borrow their basketball for a while.

"Watch your language, Sooyoung!" Suho snapped. He later asked her about the kids. He finds it weird that Sooyoung was able to borrow things from strangers way too easily. 

"I came here a lot to play basketball with them, so they basically know who I am. No big deal." She told him and quickly bounced the ball with one hand on the court.

"I'm bad with basketball. I got short legs." Suho walked towards the edge of the court and let his on the floor watching her.

"Ohh.. Come on! Not everyone in a basketball team is tall! The shorty ones are the team's secret weapon, they might rarely in charge of scoring but they definitely the fastest!" She ran while bouncing the ball and shot it right into the hoop in seconds. 

He was clapping in amusement and was shocked when he realized the sound of clapping weren't just coming from him. Six of his friends were there, interrupting their Monday afternoon. 

"I didn't know you play that well! That's very impressive.." Kris gave her thumbs up.

"For me, it’s not that surprising. I always saw Sooyoung playing basketball with those kids.." Kai waved at her. Sooyoung winked at him back, acknowledge his presence.

"Oh? Why you never told me about that?" Sehun eyed on Kai and Kai responded him with, "Do I need to?"

"Sooyoung, are you using the court? We couldn't use the school's court because of some construction at the school’s court.." Tao asked her, apologetically.

"Yeahhh.. I guess you can play here. If you guys are not here, I'll be playing alone anyway. There’s no difference." She rubbed her neck while shifted her face towards the sitting Suho. Suho’s friends followed Sooyoung’s sudden changed of her facing direction and laughed as they saw the sight of Suho sitting at the edge of the court.

"Interesting... he's here! Oh wait. I forgot, today's Monday.." Chanyeol commented.

"Or... do you want to play with us?" Luhan suddenly came up with a suggestion that surprised everyone.

“You mean, 4 to 3?” Sooyoung asked him.

“Nope. 4 to 4. Suho, you're playing." Luhan smirked at him, mischievously. 

"No. No way. Ask somebody else." Suho rejected his offer on the spot.

"Fine." Luhan answered coldly. He knew his answer before he even speaks. It was just something he felt it would be mannerly to ask the person’s date first before asking somebody else into the group. All this while, from the very start he already saw Lay and Baekhyun were walking nearby. He shouted as loud as he could to get the attention of those two. "LAY!!! DO YOU WANT TO PLAY BASKETBALL?!" 

As soon as Lay noticed him, he ran towards them, abandon the confuse Baekhyun who was still talking to him a minute ago. Lay was too excited being able to play the basketball with them. He wasn’t qualified to play for the school team and thus, getting invited was more than he could ask for.

Baekhyun settled himself beside the bored Suho as they watched the match between Kris, Kai, Luhan and Sooyoung versus Tao, Chanyeol, Sehun, and Lay. 

"I believe you are here because Sooyoung dragged you?" Baekhyun giggled.

"What do you expect? You know how much I hate basketball." Suho smiled as he noticed Chanyeol was having hard time catching up with Sooyoung's pace.

“Haha.. yeah.. that reminds me when we were in the middle school, you got teased really badly by the tallest kid after he knew that you registered for the basketball team for being too short.” Baekhyun smiled. “Isn’t that in the past?”

“I still hate basketball. I wouldn’t even want to watch the game if it isn’t her who pulled me here. I brought her to the golf course just now and she rejected the idea right away. Unbelievable.” Suho complained.

Baekhyun laughed. “You know, you wouldn’t do that if it isn’t Sooyoung. You wouldn’t go that far introducing her to your favorite so-called sport and actually stayed here watching her playing your most hated sports of all time.”

“Huh?” Suho scoffed.

"Tell her you love her. We already gave you a lot of Mondays already. Are you guys already in dating stage or not?" Baekhyun shot questions at him, straightforwardly.

Suho stared at him, couldn't registered the words he just heard. "That's.. kind of what people nowadays said 'that's escalated quickly'.. How many times do I need to remind you, we are just friends.."

"What? You guys are still at friend stage?" Baekhyun was half-screaming back at him. 

"Yes, because we are just FRIENDS!" He stated his words, clearly, one by one.

"NO!" He yelled back at Suho.

At that exact moment, Sooyoung scored a 3-point for her team. Her team cheers by high-fiving and constantly praising her ability.

"Sooyoung…Maybe, you should join us. I like you here." Luhan showed her his angelic smile. He was stating his approval for her skills; something that he never knew a girl could beat them. She was playing with the school’s team and yet she scored.

Baekhyun stood up and ran towards them while still continuing with his "NO" mumblings countless of time.

"Move away, you lovable boy." He pushed Luhan aside so he could face Sooyoung directly.

"Your Mondays are not with us. And it will never be with anyone, except that guy over there. Now GO!" Baekhyun hold Sooyoung's shoulder before turning her body around towards Suho direction and pushed her to initiate her to walk. 

She turned her head back to Baekhyun in confusion. 

"GO!" Baekhyun shouted, in devastation. 

Usually, Sooyoung would be the violent one towards him. But his reaction that afternoon hindered her from doing anything against that boy's will. 

"Baekhyun is surprisingly weird today." She gave small remarks towards Suho.

"I know. I don't even know what's got into him" Suho quickly stood up, joined Sooyoung and left the park immediately.

Baekhyun sighed in frustration. "I shouldn't have listened to Taeyeon when she said they could handle it themselves. Those two slowpokes are the slowest slowpokes on earth with dial-up connectivity planted in their brain."

None of his friends could say a word to the sudden erupted Baekhyun. They knew what was going on, and yet even it was a bit immature for him to act like that, they could understand the pain Baekhyun felt for giving up one of his days to his friend but nothing came out of it. 

"I guess I'll be pushing those two together on my own." Baekhyun murmured.