Living In A Nightmare

Always By Your Side.

The atmosphere is crowded and very busy at the moment. I was sitting at my favorite table waiting for my boyfriend, Han Gil to meet me at our, well more like my, favorite café. He was already an hour late. The employees were starting to give me slightly dirty looks for sitting here for so long and not ordering anything. I was just about to get up when I saw him strolling in, without a care in the world as if he wasn’t an entire hour late. I waved my hand in the air, trying to get his attention to signal to him where I was sitting. He quickly spotted me and walked over, taking the seat across from me.

“Hey honey.” I said, smiling as I leaned over to kiss his cheek.

“Yea. Why do you always pick this place? It’s always so crowded and it stinks of coffee.” He complained. Han Gil did that a lot, complain, but I was used to it.

“They make excellent hot chocolate that’s why. I’m going to order something now. Would you like anything?”

“Just get me a tea. Make sure they put milk in it too!”

“Neh.” I said with a smile as I went up to the counter to order him a green tea with milk and honey just the way he liked it. I got myself a hot chocolate with whipped cream; my absolute favorite. The weather was warming up so it seemed weird to order a hot chocolate but I love it, especially from this café, 

After I paid for and received the drinks I walked back to the table and placed his drink in front of him. He was glaring at me though. I wondered what I could have done to piss him off this time. I know I put milk in the tea like he said so why was he angry.

                “Are you ok honey?”                               

“Why the hell did you leave the house in such a short skirt?!”

“What?” I looked down at my skirt and it didn’t seem that short. Plus I was wearing leggings underneath since it was still kind of chilly.

“You heard me. Are you trying to give the whole world a free show?!”

“What? No! It’s not that short.”

“Whatever.” He mumbled out as he started to drink his tea. 

We sat in silence for a little while until I spoke up.

“Anyway Han Gil why were you so late today?” I asked curious as to why he was late by an hour almost.

“I was doing stuff.”

“Like what?” 

“Stuff. Jeez do you have to question me about everything?!”

“Huh? No I’m sorry. I was just wondering…”

“I don’t even care. Hey Alex do you have any money on you?”

“Yea. Why?”

“Let me have 30,000 won.” He said as he stuck his hand out.

I took my wallet out of my purse, counted out 30,000 won and handed it to him. He snatched it out of my hand, folded it up, and put it in his pocket.

“What do you need it for?”

“Stuff. I’ll be home late tonight.” He said getting up from the table.

“Oh, well ok. I’ll miss you honey.”

He leant down and kissed my forehead.

“Make sure to change that skirt when you go home.” That was all he said before walking out of the café. I just let out a small sigh before putting my own jacket on and heading back to our apartment.

Han Gil and I have been dating for about a year now. I actually left home to be with him. My parents don’t approve of him but I know the real him and he’s actually really sweet. Just sometimes he has bad days where he’s irritated for a while and just snaps at every little thing. He was working hard to become a rapper and I supported his dream but at the moment he wasn’t brining in any income. He did manage to land a job at a department store but quit shortly after, saying that he hated both the atmosphere and the people. 

This meant that at the moment I was the only one bringing home a steady paycheck. I worked for a fashion magazine and always had to research and stay on top of the new trends. I was an editor and had to make sure the information was accurate and up-to-date as well making certain that it was neat and orderly. I wasn’t given too much responsibility but I was aiming for the editor-in-chief position so I always worked my hardest and did my best on whatever assignment I was given.

I walked into my apartment, dropping my things on the sofa and headed straight for my bedroom and into my closet. I glanced at the full-length mirror there, and looked critically at my skirt. Maybe it is a little too short, I thought to myself, turning to my closet for a longer skirt, or better yet a pair of pants. If I wore pants, though I had to make sure that they weren’t too tight because Han Gil would freak over that too.

I sighed, finding a suitable skirt to pull over my leggings. I really didn’t want to go through the trauma of finding a pair of pants, only to get screamed on if he felt they were too tight. It could happen, right? After all, I left the house this morning thinking that my skirt was fine and it wasn’t. 

Once changed I decided to go and check in on at the office. Even though it was my off day I still wanted to see if there was anything I could do. I mean if I wanted that editor-in-chief position I had to show that I was dedicated to the job. When I entered the office the secretary Jessica greeted me. I bowed to her and greeted back.                      

“Alexandra-ssi you’re not scheduled to work today.” She said as I started to walk past her. I just turned around and smiled at her.

            “I know but I wasn’t busy so I just wanted to see if there was anything I could help with.”

            “Just like you Alexandra-ssi. Always so hard working. Well it seems like Sandara-ssi is having a little trouble getting her article together. You could go and see if she needs help. ”

            “Alright I will.”

I walked over to where I knew Dara’s desk was. Once I got there I saw that it was an utter mess and she sort of looked like she had given up.

            “Dara are you still alive?” I asked I poked her shoulder. She let out a small grunting sound before turning her attention to me.

            “Alex what are you doing here?”

            “I’m here to help you unni. Now what’s going on? Why does it look like a tornado has hit your desk?”

            “I don’t think I’m going to make the deadline Alex. You remember that interview I had.”

            “Yea with the fashion designer Kim Jaejoong. So what happened I thought you already did the interview?”

            “Yes I did but hardly answered my questions and now he’s called saying to omit certain things from the article. I barely have enough for half a page and he only sent me two pictures!”

            “Did you call him?”

            “Yes but every time I call they tell me he isn’t in.”

I let out an aggravated sigh because I knew what this was all about. Jaejoong always did this when someone from our magazine was sent to interview him. I pulled out my cell phone and dialed his personal number.

            “What are you doing Alex?” Dara asked me.

            “Don’t worry. I’m handling it.”

After a couple of rings he picked up.            

            “Alex! How nice of you to call. You know that I’ve missed you right?”

            “Cut the crap Jaejoong. Why aren’t you giving us your interview this time?”

            “What are you talking about? I answered all of the questions asked of me from that plain looking girl.”

            “And then you called saying we couldn’t use any of it. Plus you only sent us two pictures?!”

            “Calm down Alex. Getting worked up can’t be good for you blood pressure.”

            “Our deadline is at the end of this week and you’re..!”

            “Ok how about this. You go on a date with me and I’ll answer any questions that you want to know about my new line.”

            “How about this you answer our questions or I come over to your place and cut your balls off?!”

            “Still feisty but I like my idea better. So no date no interview.”

I let out an irritated grunt. He has been hitting on me for a year now since when I was first sent to interview him. Then when I tell him I have a boyfriend he just dismisses it and continues to hit on me. We needed to get this interview though. A lot of people love his line and are always wondering what he was going to come out with next.

            “Ok. I will compromise.”

            “I’m listening.”

I knew he was smirking even though I couldn’t see his face I just knew it.

            “I will have coffee with you but it won’t be a date. Just two friends getting coffee.”

            “Or I can take you out to a nice restaurant and it will be a date.”

            “Or I will really come over to your house and cut your balls off and feed them to your cat!”

I heard him chuckle on the other line and it just pissed me off even more.

            “Ji-Ji eats only high grade food. Anyway fine. I’ll agree to our coffee outing. So tell that plain looking girl to call my office and I’ll give her a real interview.”

            “And the pictures?”

            “I’ll send you two more. I can’t give too many. It will spoil everything before the line even comes out.”

            “Alright. Now as much as I love talking to you I have things to do. So…”

            “Wait Alex!” He called my name as I was about to hang up.

            “What?”

            “You know I’m wearing you down right? One of these days you will agree to date me.”

            “And one of these days you’ll admit that you’re in love with your model Yunho.”

Before he could respond I hung up the phone and plopped my down in a chair next to Dara. Talking to Jaejoong always wears me out. I looked over to Dara who was looking at me with wide eyes.

            “Oh you have the interview now. Just call his office again and he will give you a real interview.”

            “How did you do that?! I mean you talked to him so informally and…a date?! Aren’t you dating someone already?”

            “That’s why I’m not going on a date with him. Plus I’ve known him for a while now so talking informally isn’t something that pisses him off anymore. Me turning him down does though. Anyway everything is set up for you. Just call me if you run into another dead end and don’t give up so easily unni.” I said with a smile as I stood up from the chair.

            “Where are you going Alex?”

            “Home. I need a nap after dealing with him. I’ll see you tomorrow though since I’m actually working then.”

            “Well let me treat you to lunch tomorrow. You know as thanks for helping me.”

            “You’re my unni so you would be treating no matter what if we went out.” I joked.

            “True. I’ll see you tomorrow though.”

            “Definitely.”

            I gathered the little bit of stuff I came with and headed back to my apartment. As expected when I got back Han Gil wasn’t there. I breathed a sigh of relief because all I really wanted right now was some peace and quiet. I walked through my bedroom into the bath. I stepped into a quick shower, washing away the stress of the day.

            Dressing in comfortable pajamas, over my freshly dried and lotioned skin, I padded into the kitchen to start dinner. I chose something simple with few spices, because that would be something that my boyfriend would complain about and since I wanted to relax this evening instead of arguing over something as petty as dinner, I resolved to do my part to make things run as smoothly as possible. 

            Tasting dinner, I deemed it ready and walked into the living room to curl up on the couch to watch some television as I waited for Han Gil to come home. I wonder how long he’ll be. I thought as I snuggled down into the throw I kept on the couch. I was hungry but I didn’t want to eat without him, so I waited patiently for him to come home. 

            I had dozed off when I heard the door slam closed. “Alex?” he called. 

            I sat up on the couch, glancing at the wall clock. 11:27pm? Where has he been? I stood up and walked into the kitchen where he was standing over the stove, poking at the dinner I had prepared hours earlier. “What the hell is this?” he asked irritated.

            “It was food.” I said quietly, walking over to the stove to check the damage. “Or it would have been had you called to let me know that you would be late.” The rice was saved, but I would need to prepare different sides, as they were ruined. “I prepared this hours ago and I would have waited had I known you wouldn’t get here until now.

            “Well hurry up and get something else on, Alex. I’m starving.” He said as he headed back to our bedroom. “I’m going to get in the shower and when I get out, you’d better have something done.”

            I rolled my eyes. I couldn’t believe he was acting like it was my fault that dinner was ruined. So much for having a peaceful night. I thought, preparing a simple stew and roasted pork to go with the rice, which thankfully, was saved. I set the table quickly, listening for the shower and it seemed I might be able to salvage the evening, as late as it was. 

            “Tell me you managed to cook something that won’t burn me alive or make me sick, Alex.” he said cuttingly as he walked into the kitchen, arms above his head, stretching.

            I sat down and began serving. “I did what I could with the time limit I was given, sir.” I said sarcastically. 

            “Don’t start, Alexandra.” he said, looking around. “Chopsticks, please?”

            I sighed and pointed. “Right there, Han Gil. Where I always put them.”

He just made a grunting sound as he picked up the chopsticks and started eating.

            “Ugh this can hardly be considered food. You would think your cooking skills would have gotten better but they only seem to get worse.”

            “Well excuse me for not being a five-star chef.” I said as I rolled my eyes.

My phone that was sitting on the table then vibrated. As I was reaching for it he quickly snatched it up.

            “This better not be a guy texting you.”

            “If it is it’s for work.” I said rolling my eyes and going back to eating the food on my plate.

            “Oh it’s for work? Why would someone from work text ‘Hey sweetie I can’t wait for our date. Meet me at Rising Sun Café tomorrow at 11:30.’ He even put a heart at the end of it! Who is this Alex?!”

Damn that was probably Jaejoong. And here I was trying to get through this dinner with as little arguing as possible.

            I shook my head, taking the phone from him. “It is for work.” I said, irritated. “Why would I have someone I’m cheating on you with texting me when I know how you love to take my phone and check it?”  I asked. “I’m not a fool, Gil.” 

He frowned. “Well who is this ‘work date?’” he asked, sarcastically.

            “It’s not a date!” I said, getting upset now. “I agreed to have coffee with a friend in exchange for a better interview! That is all.” I said, standing to clear the table. I wasn’t done, but I just wanted to escape to unconsciousness.        

            “Is that all you exchanged?”

            “What is that supposed to mean?”

            “I don’t know. Just maybe that after having coffee with him you’re going to let him have something extra to show your gratitude for the interview.”

            “If you’re hinting at that I’m going to sleep with him then you’re an idiot. I hardly want to have coffee with him.”

            “Sure.” He said as he started to get up from the table and head for the front door.

            “Where are you going?!” I yelled walking after him.

            “Out!” That was all he said before he slammed the door behind him.

I let out a frustrated grunt and went straight into our bedroom the mess in the kitchen long forgotten. He wasn’t always this way. In the beginning, he was very sweet. He used to take me out on dates and buy me nice things even when I told him not to. I thought he was my prince charming but ever since we started living together I realized he was far from being my prince. Yet I still couldn’t stop myself from loving him and hoping that one day he would turn back into the person that he was when we first met.


Hey there everyone! It's xxlalakxx here but you can just call me Lolo. This is the first story I'm ever writing as a co-author and I'm glad to be doing it with my friend Dani (Danuyel2006) Anyway I hope you guys enjoy this story! I don't know if Dani will leave an AN but if she does then it will probably be under this. 

~Side Talk~

Lolo: So Alexandra your boyfriend seems to be a bit of a jackass. 

Alex: Yea but he didn't always use to be like that. He used to be really nice.

Lolo: Well he isn't anymore obviously. So why are you still with him?

Alex: I don't know I still sort of love him. 

Lolo: Don't you get tired of his bull though.

Alex: Of course but what do you want me to do? Just leave?

Dani: Yea, I mean why did you change your skirt just for him when you thought it was fine?

Alex: Well I didn't want to fight with him so I just find it easier to do as he says to avoid an argument. 

Lolo: I agree with Dani. Plus I bet you can find someone cuter and nicer out there for you.

Alex: I don't know. He's pretty cute. Here look:

Lolo: I guess but what about that fashion designer that's into you? 

Alex: He's gay and an idiot. He just doesn't want to admit to himself that he's gay that's why he's pursuing me so hard. 

Lolo: Hmm...Ok then. Dani do you have anything else to add? 

Dani: Yea just one more question. Why do you let him live in your place when he has no source of income?!  

Alex: Well it's actually his place. He's had it for a while but now that he's not making any money I'm the one paying the rent.  

Lolo: Well you need to get your own place and stop paying his rent. Anyway that's the end of our segment I hope you guys enjoyed and see you next time!,