Chapter 3: Good Night

Stepbrothers

I'm not going to put date marks anymore, unless there's a time-jump.


 

Sehun stopped in front of an abandoned building and called for Jongin to come over.

"Sehun?" Jongin scanned over the building, "Come on, it's getting late. Let's go home, mom and noona are waiting."

Jongin began walking away, skateboard in hand, and looked over his shoulder to see if Sehun was following. In which, he wasn't. He groaned and walked back over to the entranced Sehun and gently hit him in the back of his head with his skateboard.

"Sehun? Did you hear me? I said le-ehh??" Jongin was cut off as Sehun abruptly spun him around to face the building.

"Doesn't it look cool? You want to check it out?" Sehun looked at Jongin with hopeful eyes.

Jongin thought for a second, and almost agreed, but declined, "Maybe next time Sehun, but now we should go home and not keep mom and noona and DINNER waiting."

"Oh..." Sehun said disheartened, "yeah, you're right."

"Come on, Sehun, are you really that interested in this old building?" Jongin took out his phone and searched up the address on Google.

 

1,072 results, 0.0069 seconds

656 Eden Street- After a fe...

 Roppanggi House

 Deconstructed in 2002

    See image

 

Jongin handed his phone to Sehun. The other looked through the related images, news articles, and other search results.

"Are you content now?" Jongin asked, hand outreached, asking for his phone back. Sehun handed it back and replied, "Sort of..."

Sehun let out a loud gasp and shook Jongin vigorously.

"SE-SEHUN? WHAT THE F-! LE-LET G-GO!" Jongin screeched, struggling to get away from the over-excited boy.

"Jongin! Maybe I was here with my real parents! My memories might be coming back! It really does look familiar!" Sehun let Jongin go and began tumbling around, forgetting his skateboard in a bush, and almost knocking out Jongin.

He blanked at Sehun's conclusion, but decided to entertain his thought, "Woah, uhh...Sehun calm down! Let's ask mom first, she might've taken us here before."

Sehun stood still and gave Jongin's suggestion a thought, "Yeah. you're right..." Sehun only took a second to grab his skateboard and [A/N: rode off into the sunset to the new wor-] ran ahead of Jongin at full speed, "Bet I'll beat you home!"

Jongin laughed and got on his board, getting a few feet ahead of Sehun. "We brought our skateboards for a reason, you dork."

Sehun made an 'O' face and quickly got on his board, struggling out of excitement.

"You're going to lose me~" Jongin teasingly sang, almost a few yards ahead now.

"Shut up!" Sehun yelled back, finally getting on his skateboard properly and caught up to Jongin.

Luckily for Sehun, Jongin had waited for him to catch up, laughing to himself as the younger wheezed from his rushing. Jongin reached over to ruffle Sehun's hair as the other bent over to catch his breath.

Sehun let out a groan and stood straight, looking disheveled, "If you..haah," Sehun took in another deep breath, "if you were going to wait anyway, you could've waited until I actually got on my board instead of making me rush over to you, jerk."

Jongin, not really paying attention to Sehun's rant, found himself staring at Sehun[A/N:...again]. Sehun had beads of sweat along the outline of his jaw, traveling down his neck, down to his collarbone. Lips were slightly parted to take in air, eyes half-lidded, running his slender fingers through his[A/N: hair] dyed brown hair, his breathing slowly steadying.

Sehun laughed noticing the other. He closed in on Jongin, their lips only inches away from touching, "If you stare any harder, you might be blown away by the wind."

Sehun let out a muffled chuckle as Jongin pushed his face away and got on his board. Skating away as fast as he could, he yelled, "SAYS THE ONE WHO WAS WHEEZING JUST EARLIER!"

Remembering that their house was only a few block away, Sehun decided to put on his headphones and just stroll home. "Thank You" by CNBlue was playing and he just continued to walk with a little rhythm in his steps.

   Sehun eased into a deep state of thought. He contemplated on what has happened for the past 13 years of his life that he actually remembered. The happy times he spent with his family, especially remembering the sad times, like when his adoptive father died. Sehun was only adopted three months before the night of his death, at the age of six. So, he couldn't understand the loss of a loved one yet, even more so since he couldn't even remember his own.

It was silent the following nights after Mr. Kim's death, apart from the muffled cries behind the mother's bedroom door. No one saw her cry, though, and it had been two weeks before she began talking and interacting normally. She even laughed and smiled like before, but Sehun could tell...even with all these, he could feel her pain and stress behind each one.

At dinnertime, jokes and what had been done that day were exchanged. Mrs. Kim was smiling like usual, Jongin and Hanae were laughing, only Sehun was quiet.
 

"Sehun, honey? Why are you so quiet?" Mrs. Kim asked.

The one in question shook his head and continued to eat.

Jongin nudged Sehun in the arm, "Sehun-ah, answer mom."

Sehun shot him a glare that had no effect because his eyes were b with tears. Hanae noticed this and got up from her seat to Sehun's side.

"Sehunnie, what's the matter?"

When no answer came, she picked him up and lightly rocked him, "Come on, tell noona what's wrong."

Not able to hold them in any longer, Sehun began to bawl tears that could put Niagara Falls to shame, "WAAAAH!! AHHHHHHAHHHAAAAHHHHHHH NOO-NOOOONAAA!! UMMAAA SKOSBIKSCOTIILDLI!!"

Sehun's sudden outburst of tears caused Jongin to choke on his dinner, "Ack...Wha-what th-!"

"Quiet Jongin," Hanae said. Putting Sehun down and kneeling so that she was at his eye level, "Sehun-ah stop crying so noona can understand you. Ssh...ssh, it's okay."

"NO IT'S NOOOT!!" Sehun cried, chubby arms trying wipe away incessant tears. Jongin got down from his seat and bluntly walked in between Sehun and Hanae.

"Jong-Jongin? What are yo-?" Jongin turned to face his noona with the most determined face a six-year-old could possibly make.

"I got this noona, don't worry," Jongin said, putting up his fist as 'fighting!' gesture.

Hanae smiled at her younger brother and returned his 'fighting' with her own before walking back to her seat next to her mother, filling Mrs. Kim in. As the women were discussing, Jongin pulled Sehun over to the nearby living room and attempted to calm the younger down...ish.

"Yah, Oh Sehun!" Jongin put his small hands on his hips looking slightly intimidating to the other, "Us men shouldn't cry!"

Sehun stopped crying and looked up at the older. Jongin smiled and basked in his triumph, but it was short lived as Sehun began to cry again.

Mrs. Kim walked over to the two, taking Sehun into her arms and cradling him. She looked softly at Jongin with a reassuring smile, "You did your best Jongin-ah, finish your dinner please." Jongin nodded and climbed back into his chair and did what he was told.

Bringing her attention back to the now quietly sobbing Sehun, she caressed his cheeks with her free hand to wipe away his tears. She then moved his hair out of his eyes and gently asked, "Sehunnie...why are were you crying? All of a sudden, did something happen?"

Sehun looked up at his adoptive mother and nodded, eyes filled with sadness and worry, threatening to bring new tears.

"What is it then?"

"I'm crying because of mommy," Sehun replied, wiping away the tears that had fallen with the sleeves of his shirt.

"Because of mommy..." Mrs. Kim repeated to herself quietly before asking, "do you mean me?"

Sehun nodded.

Mrs. Kim smiled at the fact that Sehun was actually acknowledging her as his mother now.

"And why is because of me?" Mrs. Kim asked, combing through his hair soothingly.

"Mommy's crying, so it makes me cry," Sehun replied, rubbing his tired, swollen eyes.

Mrs. Kim couldn't comprehend Sehun's reasoning and touched her face to see if she had in fact been crying without her knowledge. There weren't any tears, so she said, "Honey, mommy isn't crying, see? No tears," she took one of his hands and put it on her cheek.

"No..." Sehun corrected, "Mommy is crying. She's crying on the inside because it hurts here and Sehun can feel it." Sehun pointed at his heart, indicating where she was hurting.

Mrs. Kim didn't bother holding back the tears as they had already began to fall. She hugged Sehun tightly. Though he was young, the boy had an unbelievable amount of understanding of others' feelings. She wiped her tears and looked Sehun in the eye.

"Sehun-ah, you feel mommy's owie, right? Mommy is very happy that you cried for mommy. If you didn't, I don't think I would be feeling as good as I do now. Thank you." She gave Sehun a quick squeeze and a peck on the forehead before sitting him in his seat.

Sehun looked at her from across the table, eyes hopeful, "So...mommy has no owie now?"

Mrs. Kim giggled and shook her head, "It's still there, but it's a whooolle lot better because of Sehunnie."

The two smiled at each other and finished their meals in silence. Hanae and Jongin had already cleaned up their dishes and left. Mrs. Kim stacked up the dirty plates and Sehun gathered the silverware. After the dishes were washed, Mrs. Kim took Sehun's hand and led him to the hallway bathroom.

"Sehun-ah, brush you teeth and wash your face before you go to bed, okay?" she requested, gently patting his head.

"Okay~" Sehun replied. Mrs. Kim was about to happily skip to her room when Sehun had called her back.

"Yes?"

"I love you mom! Good night!"

 

   Sehun was awakened from his daydream as his face almost collided with the front gate of their house. He opened the gate and placed his skateboard in a random area of the front yard and jogged to the front door. He was about to unlock the door but as he pushed the key in, the door eased open. Sehun stepped inside and looked in the living room to see if Jongin was watching his television dramas. His stomach growled as he headed to the kitchen for the leftovers, seeing that his little 'stroll' had taken longer than intended. There was a apple-shaped post-it saying that Hanae and Mrs. Kim had gone on a spa trip for the weekend and apologies for not telling the boys and so on.

"Jongin! Did you eat yet?" Sehun yelled up the stairs.

   Sehun continued to stare at the empty air of the upper level, waiting for Jongin's reply. Deciding Jongin hadn't heard him, Sehun swiftly grabbed a sandwich from the fridge and went up the stairs. Getting closer to their shared room, Sehun absentmindedly took small bites out of Jongin's sandwich. He opened the door, immediately dropping the sandwich with the paper plate following. Sehun's mouth dropped open and his eyes grew wide, luckily he wasn't chewing or that would have been an ugly sight for the guest.

"SE-SEHUN!"


 

 

Another edited chapter, hardly any changes.