Chapter 1: Happy Birthday

Stepbrothers

-April 1999--

"Sehun, sit still," a woman scolded.

"I'm scared," the child responded.

"Grandfather will be upset with your rudeness. Now, sit straight, chin up," she continued.

The child named Sehun did as he was told, eyes on the woman he called 'mother'. She turned to him and sighed, smiling softly at the boy.

"Sehun, this is for your own good," she said, trying to comfort her child.

"But they're strangers," Sehun replied.

"I'm sorry Sehunnie..."


 

-March 2003--
 

Sehun woke up with a jolt, breathing heavily. He sighed and let himself lie back down with a thud. Putting an arm over his head, realizing he was sweating, he sighed, "Another one..."

A noise came from across the room causing Sehun to jump in his bed. Sehun looked across the room, his eyes adjusting to the darkness of the room, and saw movement.

"Sehun," a young boy's voice sounded, "are you okay?"

Sehun smiled and walked over to the other’s bed. "Yeah, go back to sleep Jongin," Sehun replied as he wrapped his arms around his stepbrother.

Jongin relaxed and pried Sehun's arms off his figure. Unknown to Jongin, Sehun pouted at him denying his hug.

"Sehun...?” Jongin called.

The other perked up, "Yes?"

Jongin turned to face Sehun, "Are you really okay?"

Sehun blushed slightly and sat up, "Yeah..." Jongin stretched as Sehun walked over to his bed.

"Good night, Sehunnie!”

Sehun slightly frowned at the familiarity of the nickname, but smiled at the other, "Good night Jongin."

Sehun made himself comfortable and looked at his bedside clock, '1:25 A.M', and soon after closing his eyes, he drifted back to sleep.

 

Sehun sat down on his newly made bed and sighed heavily.

“You’re gonna pass out if you keep sighing like that.”

Sehun looked up to see Jongin sitting in front of him, “Hyung!”

Jongin smiled up at him and rested his head on Sehun’s lap, “That’s right~!” Sehun scoffed at Jongin and asked, “Did you clean up your mess?”

“What mess?” Jongin replied, seeming to be lost in thought.

Sehun looked dumbfounded by the question, but answered, “The one in the bathroom. Did you?”

Jongin replied, pretending to be taken back, “Of course I did.”

“Well, okay then? Want to go and check on breakfast?”

Jongin jumped up and grabbed Sehun’s hand and cheerily said, “Let’s go~!”

 

When the two reached the kitchen, the sweet aroma of pancakes, along with the sight of freshly made eggs and bacon, greeted them. Sehun immediately bounced in glee and headed for his seat at the table, followed by Jongin.

“Finally, were you guys waiting until the food got cold?” Hanae said as she took her seat across from Jongin and Sehun.

Jongin laughed to himself, exchanging looks with Sehun and soon they both snickered. This caught Hanae’s attention.

“What are you two laughing about…” when they both started to eat, ignoring her, she slightly raised her voice, “WHAT are you two giggling about?”

“Nothing noona~” the two chimed simultaneously.

“Hmm…fine, don’t tell me then. It’s not like I care or anything,” she mumbled, stabbing at her food.

As Jongin and Sehun ate their food, they both thought the same thing, 'Mom probably cooked this before she left.'

“This is delicious noona~!” Sehun complimented to cheer Hanae up.

Hanae eyed him before replying, “…Thanks.”

Jongin kicked Sehun playfully under the table telling him, ‘Just eat,’  Sehun smiled at Jongin, and they ate.

 

After a half hour passed, they finished eating.

“I’ll wash the dishes,” Hanae said, as if she had a choice, “you two go get ready for school.”

The boys were already heading up the stairs as Hanae started cleaning up the table. There was a thud heard as Hanae was about to place the plates in the sink. She tilted her head in wonder and decided to investigate.

She already had a clue what was happening, expecting roughhousing, but instead was surprised by a large box as soon as she got to the head of the stairs.

“What in the world…” Hanae cautiously approached the mysterious box. She flinched when there was shuffling heard from inside the box.

“Guys, this isn’t funny! Where are you two?” Hanae yelled into the hall as she kicked the box lightly. When the shuffling got louder, she squeaked. Letting go of the breath she had unconsciously held, she hurriedly untied and opened the box.

“AHHHHHHH!”

 

Sehun and Jongin jumped at their sister’s scream. They had been in their room at the time.

Sehun punched Jongin in the arm, “This is your fault!”

“What was that for? Jerk!”

“What if it attacked her!?”

“You’d think it’d attack her…?” Jongin looked at Sehun with a judging look.

“Can we just check if she’s okay?” Sehun pleaded.

Jongin rolled his eyes, “Fine.”

The two boys exited their room. Sehun led the way cautiously to his alleged crime scene, weapon in hand. Jongin followed close behind, knowing Sehun, nothing really bad happened. As they got closer they could hear muffled growling and .

Sehun panicked and abruptly turned to Jongin, almost smacking Jongin in the face with his plastic bat, and whispered, “Oh no….IT’S EATING HER!” The last part was accompanied by a Sehun on the verge of tears.

Jongin sighed, holding back a laugh. He walked in front of Sehun getting closer to where their sister was.

“Jongin! No, it might get you too!”

Jongin grabbed his arm and said, “Just come on.”

Sehun failingly pulled Jongin away as the other was fairly strong for a 9-year-old. “Kai, wait u-…” Sehun was interrupted by an excited squeal from Hanae.

“Ahh! S-stop it!” The two heard Hanae giggle.

“Told you, Sehun.” Jongin laughed and swung his arm around Sehun's neck. Looking in their happy noona‘s direction, “Happy birthday, noona~!”

Jongin nudged Sehun to talk, “H-Happy birthday noona, hope you like our present.”

As soon as he spoke, the attacker ran to Sehun and jumped on him. Sehun laughed and petted it, “Did you have fun with our sister?”

Hanae spoke up, “You guys got me this puppy? How?”

Sehun let the puppy go back to Hanae, "Jongin and I saved up our allowances and bought him from hyung across the street." Jongin continued, “He said he would give it for free since it was for you, but we wanted to pay for it.”

Hanae looked at Sehun as if he just killed someone right in front of her, “Hyung? Across the street?!!”


Jongin and Sehun nodded.

Hanae looked as if she were to faint. But instead, sat on the floor and hugged the puppy.

Jongin and Sehun looked at each other, before asking, “Why?”

Hanae looked hesitant, “Okay, whatever happens, don‘t tell Umma I told you this...” Sehun and Jongin nodded fervently, curious of what their sister was about to tell them.

“That hyung’s name is Kim Joonmyun, he’s a year older than me,” the two nod, encouraging her to continue, “Noona has a crush on that hyung who gave you this puppy.”

The younger two covered their mouths, holding back laughter. “Re-really Noona,” Jongin replied, “I never noticed, since you totally don’t stare at him when he walks by us on the way to school, took me by surprise.” Sehun snickered and punched Jongin in the arm playfully.

Hanae pouted at the two, but decided to let it slide. She scratched the puppy behind the ears and whispered, "I think I'll name him Suho."

 

Jongin, Sehun, and Hanae all sat in the hallway, looking at each other in silence. Well, until Hanae perks up in realization.

Jongin and Sehun tilt their heads simultaneously, silently asking what happened.

“AREN'T YOU TWO SUPPOSED TO GET READY FOR SCHOOL!?”


 

 

 

Sorry guys, I'm changing it up again. You can unsubscribe if you want, but please don't give up on meee :A;