Chapter 2: Agent Cho

Mission Kim

(AN: Okay, I wasn't going to publish chapter one the way it was, but I acidently clicked the 'Add Chapter' button. I'm sort of a newb to this site, so please bear with me and my writing. I need to fix up some stuff.)

Eunmi looked at her father across the bars of the cell with a questioning look in her eyes. "Dad... why are you here?"

Her father looked up at her, "I'm so sorry Eunmi, but I had to do it."

"Do what?"

Sudenly, a man dressed smartly in a suit and tie walked up to them. He cleared his throat. "Your father, Ms. Seo, embezzled almost a twentyfive million won from his employer in order to pay the loans he borrowed in order to pay for your mother's funeral."

"But," she said, looking at the man in the suit before turning to her father, "You said that it was already paid."

Her father sighed and a look of guilt dawned on his face. "But I couldn't have done it without the help from the loans I borrowed from some dangerous people."

Eunmi's eyes widened. "Dad, you didn't."

"I'm sorry Eunmi."

The man beside them spoke up, "You have to understand Ms. Seo that your father thought he was right for doing what he did. After all, he had already began sneaking in money to pay for the hundred thousand won he embezzled. But that doesn't hide the fact that he still stole money."

The man took a pause. "However, by taking our offer to train with us, we will take your father out of jail and pay all your debts, and even give a monthly pension to your father for giving his permission for you to work for the government."

Eunmi blinked, realizing that this man wasn't just some regular high-ranking police officer, but rather, a man who worked for the very same government that wanted to recruit her. "And you are?"

He smiled. "I'm Agent Cho and I've come here to recruit you."

Her father suddenly grasped her wrist, "Eunmi, don't do it. They can't force you."

Eunmi merely smiled at her father, she'd already made her decision the moment Agent Cho explained all the benefits that comes from working with them. 

"Dad, it's okay. It's time I do my job to help this family. Although I'm still angry at you for hiding all this from me, I can't leave you in jail like this."

"Then I won't give my permission." Her father exclaimed defiantly. 

"Dad, you have to! When mom left us, we vowed to each other than we'll always help each other out since we're family!"

"But I wanted this to be a choice for you. Not something you were forced into doing."

A bitter smile crossed Eunmi's face, "I told you, it's okay. When you took up all those jobs, when you stole the money, was it due to choice or because you were froced to do it to pay the debts? It was also forced wasn't it?"

Her father's eyes closed as if admitting defeat, and he slowly nodded his head. 

"I want you to think about this Eunmi. Spying-"

"Gathring Intelligence is how we like to classify it, Mr. Seo." Agent Cho butted in.

"-is very dangerous. You could... and I can't have that. I've already lost your mother."

"Dad, who am I?"

"What are you talking about? You know who you are. You're my daughter."

"Yes, exactly! And us Seos wouldn't be us if it wasn't for our tenacity to work hard and help each other."

"Is this what you really want? What you aspired to be?" her father questioned. She knew he was only doing this because he cared for her.

"I have been thinking about taking the job the past year." she admitted. "I knew that it would help out our situation, and now that this situation happened, I know more than ever that this is what I have to do."

"You do?"

"Yes dad. Just trust me on this. I'll come back as a renewed Eunmi, a daughter that you could be proud of."

"I already am," he said quietly. "You have my permission."

He reached to rumple her hair. "I wish I could've done better for you."

Eunmi gently pushed her father's hand away, "You did, and now it's my turn. What kind of daughter would I be to be always dependent on you. I need to grow up. Besides, you raised me to be this way."

Agent Cho cleared his throat beside them, "You do know that by training with us you won't be able to see your father for a very long time?"

Her hands gripped the bars of the cell tightly, "I know. It was stated on the packet that was sent to me by another Agent a year ago."

"Are you sure?" The Agent clarified once more.

"Yes." She could do this. She could and she will.

Agent Cho nodded, "Now say goodbye to your father. You're already behind a year from most of our recruits. We need to get started now."