Chapter 1: Eunmi & Her Father

Mission Kim

 

 

Eunmi is a recent graduate from the Kyunghee University. Her major?

Espionage.

That's right. Eunmi isn't a typical graduate student, but in fact, a trained spy. Not to be confused with an assassin, of course. She does abhor confrontation. But if push comes the shove, well, a little kick and punch combo isn't exactly a bad idea.

And here comes her first undercover mission involving the Four Kim Brothers.

She belongs to South Korea's intelligence unit called I. Just I. Since the age of 16 when she started to demonstrate skills in cracking code, and being just naturally too nosy for her own good. The day before she turned 17 she was offered by the government to work for them. 

At first she'd been shocked, thinking, 'Me? Why me?'. The thought of being a spy out in the field; it excited her, and at the same time, frightened her. Spies on tv are often caught, tortured, and worse- killed. Eunmi didn't want that kind of fate. 

But the choice was torn off of her hands when her mother's condition suddenly worsened after a year of battling a cancer in her brain and died, just as they thought she was actually getting better. Her father struggled to pay for the hospital bills. More often than not, they were lucky to eat something with the rice they cooked; a miracle if they were able to scrounged up enough food to actually fill their stomachs.

She and her father mourned for months. Her mother was a beacon of light to them both. Strong and guiding. Always there.

Eunmi started thinking about taking up the offer the government gave her. Just for the sake of helping her father out with the money the government will send if she starts living in their training facility. Never once did her father forced her to take the offer, never did he pressure her. When she had considered it out of guilt, he looked at her firmly as if recognizing her lie for what it is and took up another job the next day.

Because he knew, he knew that she was scared. That she feared being on her own, trusting her own to keep herself alive. And that fear engulfed her. 

Eunmi was not strong. She's not the brave kind of girl who risks all and gains nothing. Like her mother, who trusted the doctors and their often unorthodoxed treatments that apparently have a high success rate. Instead of recovering, Eunmi had lost her mother, and her father lost a wife.

So her father, no matter how tired he was, worked hard to make ends meet. When she would wake up in the morning, she would find him gone, and during the night, he'd be the last one in. Eunmi would do eveything else. Studied hard in school, entered competitions. Anything- anything to go to a good university and make him proud.

Though her curiosity for things was never ever dampered. If possible, her curiousity of things that doesn't involve her grew.

One day while in review in class, a student came to give the teacher a piece of paper that somehow involved Eunmi since she was summoned right after her homeroom teacher finished reading what was on it. She montioned for her to follow her outside and for everyone else to keep on studying.

Eunmi saw the sadness in her eyes and her mind immediately started to think about what's wrong.

"Eunmi, your dad..." her teacher began.

Eunmi's eyes widened. "My dad? What about my dad?" Her mind started jumping to conclusions, what if this, what if that-

"He..." her teacher grabbed her hands and held onto them tightly, as if comforting her. She felt merely agitated.

'Please don't say dead, please don't say dead', she pleaded inside her mind, water starting to gather at the rim of her eyes. 

"Eunmi, your father's in jail."

Eunmi blinked, "What?"