Two.

Society of Red

 

2.

 

Madelle should be sleeping.

She had a long 9 hour graveyard shift and she should be snoozing away her fatigue. She definitely should not be surrounded by 4 unknown male vampires in an unknown apartment after getting attacked by two unknown rogue vampires.  Dreaming was out of the question because she was told to stop pinching herself by a vampire in front of her after a few minutes of abusing her arm.

“I told you, I have no idea what happened.” She insisted from the simple chair she was seated in within the kitchen area of the apartment. “Um, do you guys have any bandages by the way? I'm kind of still bleeding.” she nudged her head to her injured foot.

“Lay will be here soon, so don’t worry about that. Right now, we need to know the details of what happened when Kai tried to walk you home.” Mr. Smiles, who wasn’t so smiley anymore, questioned her.

Her eyebrows knitted together in confusion.  Lay who? She hoped he was some sort of doctor. “All I know was that these creatures came out of nowhere along with this fog lady—wait, what was her name again? Ma…Matilda?”

All four of them groaned, “Malima, out of all times for her to come out of hiding.” One of them with a fancy hand ornament mumbled.

“Wait, please don’t tell me she saw you.” Sehun cut in urgently, eyes wide. Madelle gulped a little before nodding. Sehun’s shoulders slumped and rubbed his hands over his face in frustration. “I hope you realize how much danger you’re in now. Especially with you being Kai’s blood companion.” Sehun scolded her as if she was the one at fault. 

Mr. Big-eyes nodded as if everything made sense. “I was wondering why I couldn’t smell anything…So, she’s Kai’s—“

“I’m not Kai’s anything.” She said in protest, “I’m not really sure what a blood companion is, but I don’t think I’m it.”

The four of them stared at her in disbelief, “You don’t know what a blood companion is? Do you not go to school or listen to the news?”

Madelle shot Mr.Smiles a glare, “No, I spend most of my time trying to make money for my family, thank you.”

Mr. Smiles lifted his hands up defensively before he mumbled out a small apology. Behind the row of vampires in front of her, Madelle noticed the entrance door had opened and a good number of other vampires entered the apartment.

7 vampires came in and greeted the others happily, fists meeting fists, some hugging each other and smiles all around. She recognized one of them from the alleyway earlier that night...Chanyeol, was it? She wasn't given much time to ponder over the vampire's name when one tall man with a large fringe was pushed toward her. His blank eyes examined her before they landed on her injured foot. He sighed, “Couldn’t you at least wash it off for the poor girl? Humans get infections easily you know.”

He bent down and waved a hand over her exposed foot. She could only watch as light encased her foot. It tingled for a bit and then, it was as if she was never injured.

“Lay, nice to meet you.” The man with the fringe nodded her way before he stood up and joined the now bigger row of vampires in front of her.  Well, at least he had introduced himself.

“So… if what I smell is correct, or what I’m not smelling to be more accurate, she’s Kai’s blood companion?” The tallest vampire in the group said. She wanted to protest again when a few nodded in response. But before she could say anything, the tall vampire continued, “But that’s not the reason why we were called here, right?”

“We wish, Malima’s back.” Mr. Smiles replied grudgingly.

There was a tense silence that hovered over them, “But she’s been gone for years. Why would she decide to appear again after so long?” A shorter vampire with plump cheeks added in.

“Who knows? All we know is she’s back with a vengeance and she knows about her.” The vampire with the hand ornament pointed to Madelle promptly. Her eyes widened as 11 pairs of eyes landed on her.

“So, she’s dead meat is what you’re telling us?” A vampire with a strong jaw line chirped. He was immediately hit upside his head by the tallest vampire.  That unfortunately did not stop the words from echoing in Madelle’s head. She had no idea how she got herself into the situation she was in, but it seemed like she was doomed either way.

“Not if we can help it, Kai is probably going to kick himself in the head for letting this happen to her. We called you because we figured it was time to get rid of Malima once and for all.” Mr. Smiles spoke again. With all his talking, Madelle guessed that he might have a leader position in the group.

Again, another tense silence hung over them before the tallest nodded. “We’re with you. But before, what do we do with her?”

“I’ll have to guard her until we defeat Malima. We’ll put her in Kai’s care once he’s better.”

“Have they connected yet?” A baby faced vampire piped in as he eyed her curiously.

They all faced her once more and she groaned, “Don’t look at me like that, I’m epitome of clueless right now.”

“Right! Right!” Mr Smiles pointed at her as realization struck him, “You still don’t know what a blood companion is!”

“She doesn’t?” Plump cheeked vampire gapped at her. She pursed her lips in a frown.

The big eyed vampire cut in, “okay, how about everyone starts planning what to do with Malima and Lay takes care of Kai while I explained to her what’s going on.” Thank god, she thought, some answers finally.

“Wait!” She said as everyone was about to disperse, “Could I maybe have some names to go off of?”

They each nodded in agreement. The tallest vampire went by Kris, the baby face by Luhan, the sharp angled vampire was Chen, plump cheeked was Xiumin, a silent dark eyed one told her to call him Tao, the second tallest who she had met in the alleyway before was indeed Chanyeol, the vampire with the hand ornament went by the name of Baekhyun, Mr. Smiles was Suho and the big eyed vampire was D.O. She quickly recalled Lay’s and Sehun’s name, having already been acquainted with them. She nodded her head slowly as she willed her memory to remember the names and then she remembered to give the group her name as well. They each gave her a smile or some other form of greeting before they departed for another room.

“So, how much do you know about vampires?” D.O asked after dragging a chair, placing it in front of her and sitting down on it.

“Not much, just that you guys need blood to survive and that you have superior senses.” She replied cautiously.

“Well, you’re right about that. All vampires have superior senses compared to humans; however there are ways to further enhance and increase our abilities. One rare and risky way is to bond with an elemental through the means of various spells. Yes, all 12 of us in our unit have bonded with an elemental. With each elemental comes a specific power, for example, my elemental allows me to have a connection with earth. Kai, as you may have already guessed, deals with breaking down matter and relocating it. But most people just call it teleportation. Are things making a little more sense?” D.O paused with his face expressing the utmost patience.

She nodded in return, feeling a little thankful for D.O taking the time to even explain the situation. “A little, but I’m guessing there’s still a lot more?”  When D.O nodded back, her heart sunk. This wasn’t going to be easy.

D.O noticed her discomfort and gave her a tiny sympathetic grin. “Tons more I’m afraid. I mentioned how there are different ways to enhance our power. Another way for a vampire to do so is to find their perfect blood match or blood companion. Basically, for every vampire, there is one human out there with the perfect blood to match up with their nutritional needs. It is rare to find them, but when you do, your power can probably be increased by 3 folds once you’ve had just a drop of their blood. Compared to synthetic blood and regular blood, it’s like comparing a glass of milk to a big juicy steak for a meal.”

As soon as she heard the word steak, Madelle cringed, “So, you’re telling me that I’m a piece of meat for Kai?”

“No! Not at all! It’s just, a blood companion’s blood cannot compare to anyone else’s. Once a vampire has tasted their blood companion’s blood, they can’t go back.  Nothing will ever taste good anymore and nothing will ever make them feel as energized. But…Kai hasn’t tasted your blood yet, right?”

“No! And what do you mean by yet?” Madelle protested immediately but paused as Kai and her first meeting reran in her head, “B-but there was this one time that I thought he might. Anyways, how do you even know I’m his blood companion? I mean, can’t I just smell really good or something? Like… instead of steak, can’t I just be a piece of chicken to him?”

D.O laughed at her question and she didn’t appreciate it. “A piece of chicken? I’m sorry, but there’s no doubt in our minds that you’re Kai’s blood companion. You see, Kai is known for his control over his blood lust. He credits it to his previous job that involved night guarding in hospitals. So, for him to say that he wanted you as far away from him as possibly was a dead giveaway.

“But, there’s also another trick that we vampires have up our sleeves in order to find our blood companions. Despite what many may think, a vampire likes to be a part of a group. It usually gives them a sense of protection and belonging. So, in order to form a group, all that needs to be done is to connect all the members via a blood bond. There is a certain advantage to blood bonds in concern to blood companions. You see, when a bond in made, a sort of built-in precaution mechanism is created. What it does is alert the members whenever they come across the blood companion of one of their group members. It’s mostly to prevent members from hurting the blood companion and to also bring the blood companion and respective member together. Are you still with me?”

Madelle’s mouth felt dry. Cramping all this information into her head was starting to give her a headache. Powers here, bonds there, gosh how could a race live with so many complications? And with the intricate detailings of D.O’s explanation, Madelle had a hard time keeping her denial in place. “And what happens when members meet a blood companion?”  She, of course, had to ask. She didn’t really want to know the answer either but it was the last hope she had.

“The blood companion doesn’t have a smell to them at all. And to vampires, everything has a smell. It’s a helpful mechanism because when there is no scent, there is nothing to lust over and the risk of hurting the blood companion of your fellow member is low.  Also, when the blood companion is shown to all the members, it’ll be easy to figure out who they belong to because only one member will be able to smell them.”

On the bright side, she thought the way she met Sehun was starting to actually make sense. Kai was just checking to see if she was his blood companion. On the other hand, her life was officially over.  

“But, Kai doesn’t want me!” She blurted out, remembering how Kai was initially going to let her go. Her outburst evidently took D.O by surprise because he flinched a little. He begun to look confused and squirmed a little in his seat.

“Well, that was…considerate of him. I mean, by law he is allowed to take yo—“

“Wait, did you say by law?” She felt her anger start to rise. “What law?” Exactly how out of the loop was she?

“Yes, there is a law your government put into place. We vampires agreed not to attack any human as long as we were free to take our blood companions no strings attached if we found them. The government most likely agreed because blood companion are rare like I said.” D.O slowly replied to her as if he was breaking a painful truth to a child. But even with the cautious tone, Madelle was not pleased in anyway. So, humans were allowed to be taken from their lives and families and be made into blood donating slaves? That was not okay.

“But I have my family I need to support! I can’t just be taken away because some vampire likes my blood.” 

There was a sharp glare that glinted in D.O’s stare, “Although I feel for your situation, that vampire you speak of just so happened to have risked his life to save you. So, you’re going to have to get off that high horse and realize that there are worse things that could happen to you besides being a blood companion.”

That shut her up pretty quick. She mumbled out her apology and looked to the floor. D.O was right. This Malima vampire definitely seemed more terrifying than Kai and she didn’t want to die yet. No, she couldn’t die yet.  Not with her family relying on her so much and of course, she still has so much more of her life to live.   

It was that moment that Lay had exited a room down the hallway where Madelle knew Kai was resting. She stood up from her chair and simply stared as Lay dragged his feet down the hallway. Quickly realizing how tired he appeared, she moved the chair she was originally in and brought it closer to Lay. He gave her a grateful and tired smile before he crashed down onto the seat. He let his head hung over the back of the chair with his eyes closed.

“He’s fully healed now, just sleeping off a bit of fatigue.” Lay then hissed as he stretched in the chair, “God, I don’t understand how he lost so much energy with his injuries…unless,” He peered over toward her with lazy eyes, “Did…Kai change at all? During the fight?”

She nervously nodded in response, “Um, yeah. He gave me his pendant thing and these black markings started to cover his skin. Is that…normal for vampires?” 

Lay sighed and nodded his head slightly, “Oh, well that explains it. And no, those black markings are the spells that keep our elemental bonds in place, which I guess D.O explained that to you...?” She nodded quickly, “Good. Kai’s pendant is his resistor, we all have them. We have to keep them on at all times in order to keep the elementals at bay.  But, in times of emergency, we are allowed to take them off—Ahh, D.O, can you continue? I’m just too tired.” Lay moaned and squirmed in the chair, eyes closed shut and arms crossed.

D.O rolled his eyes before meeting with her gaze, “As Lay was trying to say, we’re allowed to take our resistors off in times of emergency for short periods of time. It allows our elemental side a little more control, but in return our energy is nearly dry. If we keep the resistors off for too long, our energy is up until we die and the bond with the elemental is broken, allowing it to roam free until it’s called upon again.”

Madelle blinked a few times before her eyes landed on the brooch stuck on D.O’s jacket. It was very similar to Kai’s pendant and thus, she concluded it must be his resistor. It was a little scary. Elementals, spells, bonds, rogues, powers…she lived such a simple life in comparison.

“Come on, let’s bring Lay to the couch. He’ll hurt himself sleeping like that.” D.O nudged his head in Lay’s direction who had his head bent at an awkward angle as he snoozed. Together, D.O and Madelle helped a groggy Lay off the simple wooden kitchen chair and onto the living room couch. Lay gripped a pillow tightly and curled up into a tiny ball. Madelle raised an eyebrow to D.O in question but he just smirked. “Vampires aren’t always so frightening, you know.”

She frowned back and mumbled pathetically, “I, I don’t think vampires are frightening. I served a lot of them at work.”

D.O nodded casually and shoved his hands in his jean pockets, “All right, as long as you know.”

There was a small amount of silence between them, only being interrupted by a few snorts and sniffles from the dreaming Lay. Madelle awkwardly looked around her and eventually her eyes caught the door handle of the room where Kai lay.

“Um, I’ll go see how Kai is doing. I should probably thank him for my life and stuff.” Madelle motioned behind her clumsily.

D.O laughed in return, “All right, you go do that. It’ll give me time to catch up with the others.” Madelle agreed and thanked D.O for taking the time to explain things to her. With a small wave of her hand good bye, she turned around and walked over to where Kai’s door was. She knocked after her hand hovered above the wooden door for a few nervous moments. When she didn’t hear anything in return, she twisted the door knob and slowly entered the room.

The room had its simple décor. Light beige walls didn’t spark much interest, a nice white framed mirror hung above an antique chest. Small amounts of light peeked through the closed blinds, illuminating an iron frame bed that held a sleeping Kai. Madelle walked over to the bed and curiously leaned down to get a closer glimpse.

“So, I’m your blood companion.” She whispers, taking in Kai’s handsome features. He looked so high strung before with his expression consisting of only stony discontentment.  Now, as he slept, Madelle felt as if he were a small and blissful child.

Kai groaned a little and tilted his head to the side, his hair falling down and grazing his eyelids. Madelle found her hand moving on its own accord as it brushed the hair away from his eyes. Just as she finished her minor task, Kai’s hand shot up and caught hers. Madelle nearly jumped a foot in the air. She tugged on her hand but Kai’s only gripped her tighter. Mumbles escaped Kai as he made her hand caress his cheek. Soon her palm was directly across his mouth, hot air gathered as he sighed into it. Madelle’s embarrassment slowly turned to shock when she felt Kai minimally the inside of her hand and hum pleasantly. Soon the tongue took a greater taste of her and Madelle could feel the tip of Kai’s incisors.

Once a vampire has tasted their blood companion’s blood, they can’t go back.

“K-Kai.” She stuttered out, now trying much harder to break free.  Kai’s tongue had found its way between her fingers and his teeth was brushing against the skin. She was getting worried real fast.

“Kai.” She tried a little louder and firmer, tugging harder. She was starting to lose circulation in her fingers as Kai’s hold on her hand tightened once more. She noticed how his lips pulled back and his mouth widened.

“Kai!” She panics and lightly slaps his face with her free hand, “Kai! You wake up right now or else I’ll, I’ll- Just wake up!” When his nose scrunched up and his teeth aimed to struck down on her hand, she slapped him across the face as hard as she could.

Kai’s eyes bolted open and narrowed down to the hand placed between his lips. His fangs slowly retracted as he observed the hand. He followed the attached arm and stared at Madelle coolly. Then, his eyes grew to the size of saucers and he let go of her hand like it was a hot plate. He leaned away from her and pulled the covers over his head.

“Why are you here!” he cried from underneath the blankets.

Madelle frowned as she massaged her numb hand, “I just wanted to make sure you were okay. I didn’t expect you to try and sleep-bite me.”

Kai pulled down the covers in a huff. He looked off to the side and mumbled, “Sorry, I…didn’t hurt your hand, did I?”

“No, it’s fine. It might bruise, but there are worst things.” She said softly, “it’s okay. You weren’t trying to intentionally hurt me.”

“Yeah, but if I actually took a bite, you would have to—" he pursed his lips immediately, frozen with the words stuck on his tongue.

“I already know the details, Kai. And I'm glad I know too, especially if I’m going to be hanging around here for a while.” She slowly sat herself down on the edge of the bed, waiting for Kai to protest. But he didn’t and he just observed her as she sunk into the mattress.

“I’m sorry, for getting you involved. I should have just left you in that alleyway. I should of just let you go.” Kai’s head hung down sorrowfully.

She felt her lips twitch into a small smile, “Don’t be sorry. You can’t control what happens. I’m pretty sure I should be thanking you for saving my life earlier.”

Kai hesitantly meet her gaze and his expression softens in return. “It was my fault you were even in that situation.”

“And it’s your fault we got out of it. It happened and I’m over it now. You should be too. Just focus on getting better and fighting rogues. That…is your job, right?”

“Yeah…yeah, it is.” He replied. She never imagined she would ever find Kai so vulnerable looking. Maybe it had something to do with the blood companion connection, maybe he felt more at ease with her?

“So, you’re feeling better I hope? Lay passed out on the couch right after he was done with you. I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone that big curl up that small.” She tilted her head to the side and gave him a playful grin.

Kai snorted in return and smiled, “He likes to sleep with a bear as well. And when his bear isn’t nearby, he usually grabs the closest thing, which is sometimes one of us. But, it looks like you evaded his grasp.”

“Yeah, he abusing one of the couch pillows right now.” She laughed a little, “By the way, I don’t think I’ve properly introduced myself. My name’s Madelle.” And she stretched out her hand. When Kai was about to take it in his, she pulled back a little when a thought struck her, “Um, is this okay for you?”

Kai furrowed his eyebrows, “What do you mean?”

“I mean, touching me? Is that too much for you? Does it break your control or—“

“No,” Kai cut her off immediately with a tone so serious that it nearly startled her, “I’m fully awake and you aren’t bleeding. I swear to you that I won’t hurt you as long as I am aware of my actions.”  

“All right,” She smiled, “I believe you. And like I said, it’s nice to meet you even despite the circumstance.” She offered her hand again.

Kai took his cold hand and lightly placed it into hers. He gave her a crooked smile with one particularly sharp tooth catching the light.

“Likewise.”


...
*gets down on knees and bows down as low as she can go*
IAMSORRYjhdjfsdjfds. OMG. This has got to be the longest it's ever taken me to update ;A; I'm so sorry. My schedule got packed this month with roadtrips and other stories I've promised to do. I'm so sorrrrrrrrryyyyyyyy D:

So, I reread the beginning of the first chapter and didn't like the way I worded things. So, I went back and reworded them :) Same info just written less...choppy? 
Also, another change. As you can see, this is the end of the second chapter and well, I'm not there yet. So, I'm thinking this will be four chapters instead of three and there might possibly an epilogue depending on how I write things. 

Thank you for all the comments and WOW, I am surprised by the amount of people I have subbed to this! Thank you! LOVE TO YOU <333
Comment replies now:

@LALULALIDO - Congrats on the first comment ^^ I'm glad you like my stories and this one of course! I hope you'll continue to like it :) And this was a request fic soooo, yeah :) Lol Kris would make a good vampire though!

@SarahJ - Lol, thank you. Sorry for the long wait :)

@AntarezGreen27 - So, here I shall grovel and offer you my first born for the long wait :( I am so sorry. I hope you had a happy birthday and that you liked this chapter ><'! It's pretty wordy with explanation but um, yeah. :)

@sooyeon-ie - Oh wow, thank you! I'm glad you like the detail! (is it actually that detailed? baha)

@PrincessLuLu - Lol, I'm not a huge fan of them either but this request definitely brought me a challenge I couldn't refuse! Thanks for checking out this story of mine as well! ^^

@YoseobLoveee -  Yayy, thank you~~ I'm glad you like it!

@StepYoCupcakeUp - I heart your UN first off. Second off, THANK YOU <3

@fatemalovesonew - Nope, no . I guess the first picture is misleading. Sorry ;A;. 

@tntmm - Updation complete ;)

@solace - BOOOOOM, updation :) Hope you like it~~~

@s5s1n6 - Wahhh, I'm glad you like it >
@Drawingfishies - Lol, I feel so honoured that your reading this OC fic! Thanks for giving it a chance :) LOL VIAGARA, omg. Way to bring humor to the fic, jeez thought I was all clever with my acronym ;P Hope you like this chapter as well <3 LOVEEES <3

Okie dokie. So, um, since this is a Kai fic.....KAIPICSPAM>>>



Umph. That stare=fangirl heart killer! Okayy byee now <3 *runs and hides from angry readers*