Request from the Boss

When the Mockingbird Strikes

The meeting with the intelligence unit went quite peacefully compared to the one with the weapons group, Myungsoo thought.

 

He'd brought Sungyeol to the main database room, a place with drawers full of confidential files and computers far more advanced than what the rest of the building had. Some of the machines were still running their screen savers, meaning there'd been people using them not too long ago, but only one man was seen inside when the duo had arrived.

 

"Yoo Youngjae," he introduced himself, pushing up his wire-rimmed glasses. "You must be Sungyeol, our latest addition. I heard you were coming in today. And the others got called down to the head office," he added at Myungsoo's questioning look.

 

Myungsoo glanced around the quiet room. "So it's just you in here for now?"

 

Youngjae looked a bit offended. "What, you think I can't handle things on my own?"

 

The raven-haired male wanted to laugh. He knew well that Youngjae was more than capable of watching his division alone. In fact, he could have taken over the entire Seoul branch if he wanted to. "No, no, that's not what I meant. I just thought it'd be easier for Sungyeol to meet all of you at once, that's all."

 

"Hmph. Well, you'll be waiting for awhile then, because whatever Sunggyu needed to tell them sounded pretty important." Pushing away from his desk, the bespectacled man rose out of his seat and motioned for Sungyeol to join him. "Come on, I might as well show you around while you're here."

 

Plopping down into an empty chair, Myungsoo watched as Youngjae began detailing the newcomer about his team. "As you know, this is the room of the intelligence division. We're known as the "brains" of the operation. The reason is partly because of our obviously superior intellect-" here, Myungsoo really did laugh out loud "-and partly because we're the ones in charge of data. We collect information, do recon, and research matters for cases when you're not able to. Sometimes we even do debriefing on cases, if Sunggyu's too busy to do it himself."

 

There was more he clearly wanted to say about his unit, but at that moment, the intercom system chose to crackle to life. "Kim Myungsoo, you're wanted in the main office. I repeat, Kim Myungsoo, you're wanted in the main office."

 

Startled, Myungsoo turned his head to the pager across the room.

 

"Was that my name they said? I wonder what the boss wants with me?"

 

Surprisingly, it was Sungyeol who answered back. He spoke in his low, unconcerned voice, but this time, there was a hint of irony colouring it beneath.

 

"Maybe he knows you didn't finish your report."

 

--------

 

It turned out Myungsoo hadn't been called down to get scolded for not doing his work. On the contrary, the boss seemed rather pleased to see him, especially when Sungyeol trailed behind him into the spacious room.

 

"Oh good, you're here," Kim Sunggyu said when the two entered his office. "And I see you brought our new agent with you. Thanks, by the way, for showing him around. I'd do it myself, but I'm kind of tied up at the moment." Smiling apologetically, he gestured towards the stack of papers on his desk, then addressed his rookie employee.

 

"So, how's everything going for you, Sungyeol? Myungsoo treating you okay?"

 

The newcomer looked at his boss. In a bored tone, he answered back, "His tour's been fascinating so far."

 

Myungsoo closed his eyes. "I was in the middle of introducing him to the divisions," he said. Then, as if remembering a sudden thought, he reopened his eyes and glanced around the room. "That reminds me, I thought Kris and Hoya would be here, too. I heard from Youngjae that they got called down earlier."

 

Sunggyu nodded and waved to the chairs in front of his desk, indicating for them to have a seat. "Yeah, but they just left five minutes ago. You must have missed them on your way here."

 

"I guess." Myungsoo pulled out one of the chairs and sat himself down. He waited until Sungyeol had done the same, before looking in the direction of the Bossman. "So, what did you need me for?"

 

"Two things, actually." Sunggyu picked up a pen and tapped it a few times on his desk. It was a habit of his to do this, Myungsoo noted, especially during times when Sunggyu was giving them a debriefing of some sort. "The first thing, you've already kind of done. I was going to ask you to guide Sungyeol around for a bit, get him used to our way of doing things. Originally, it was Woohyun who was supposed to do this, but seeing as he hasn't given me his report yet, I assume he's too busy to even leave his cubicle. And you know Woohyun. He'll probably wait until the last minute to hand it in. So you were my next choice- I thought you'd be a good help to Sungyeol."

 

"Like I said, fascinating tour," Sungyeol murmured. Sunggyu shot a brief glance his way, but turned back to Myungsoo without a comment.

 

Tap, tap, tap. "The second thing," Sunggyu said, crinkling his brow, "Is that I wanted to tell you what's going on tomorrow. When you get here at your usual time, make sure you report to me first thing, okay?"

 

"Why?"

 

Sighing, Sunggyu nodded towards the numerous files scattered amongst his desk. "A few cases have come up lately, and I've had to send a lot of our agents out. In fact, that's why Kris and Hoya were here. I needed Hoya to lead the most recent one, and Kris to help until the others got there. A team of four should be reaching their location in twenty minutes... But don't concern yourself with that. All I want you to do tomorrow is to be here, ready to act as back-up if any group needs it. You and Sungyeol- I figure it'd be a good way to start him off- and maybe Sungjong as well. Which reminds me," he sighed again and ran a hand through his hair, "Do you mind telling him this for me? I don't really have the time, what with all of this paperwork to finish."

 

"No problem. He was looking for me, anyway." Standing up from his chair, Myungsoo paused to look inquiringly at the ever-silent Sungyeol. "Are you coming? I still haven't finished showing you around."

 

"I was going to ask him to stay behind," Sunggyu answered in his place. "Woohyun came barging in this morning and whisked him away before I could say anything. We hadn't finished talking about his position here, and there are still some technical things I have to go through."

 

"Alright." The dark-haired man glanced one last time at his newest co-worker. It unnerved him to see Sungyeol sitting there, looking as cool and unperturbed as he'd been when Myungsoo had first met him. And again, his eyes. It would be terrible to describe them as deep, dark orbs shadowed by a cloak of nothingness, but they were. One would've had a difficult time trying to read them and see what Sungyeol's emotions were- Myungsoo had a feeling that even if he were to peer directly into those eyes, all he would see was his own reflection staring back at him.

 

'What could you be thinking, behind that blank expression of yours?'

 

Just as Myungsoo was about to step through the door, the head of Seoul's CSI suddenly called after him once more.

 

"Oh yeah, Myungsoo! When are you gonna get that report in to me?"

 

The ravenet rolled his eyes. "I'll get on it as soon as I'm done talking to Sungjong." As he left, he could have sworn he heard Sungyeol laughing softly to himself.

 

Myungsoo shook his head. What was up with that guy? First he'd spent half an hour meeting his fellow agents like a social recluse, then had started to show some of his evidently sarcastic nature, and now he was laughing? Was he just weird, bi-polar, or what?

 

'Lee Sungyeol,'  Myungsoo mused as he headed through the corridor, 'You're a strange one.'