Murder in the Beautiful Night

When the Mockingbird Strikes

 

“An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

 - Mahatma Gandhi.

 


 

Human beings are curious little creatures. Created with the image of God, they are given their own minds and spiritual entities, meaning they are free to think as they please, do as they please, and simply live however as they please. He The Almighty Lord had no wish to chain humans to Himself, so He gave them all the ability, the power to do things at their own will.

 

Was this a good idea? It can be looked at from both sides. On one hand, the humans were free. They could, as mentioned before, live however as they wanted. They were not slaves to anyone but themselves, able to do whatever it was that their own desires sought after.

 

But on the other hand, the humans were free. They could feel temptations, commit sins, and be swayed by things such as vengeance, greed, or even lust. And it is because of these matters that the humans will slowly rot inside, letting evil take over the purity that God had given them.

 

With this in mind, we think again: curious, curious little creatures (but enough of that. You, as the reader, are most likely tiring of the author's rambles and meanders on mankind, no? Let us carry on to the real reason why you are here, to the story of the Mockingbird).

 

Our tale begins on a late summer's evening, just half-past nine o'clock (9:33 PM, to be precise). The sun had already set and made its leave for the day- only the stars were left to light up the blanket of darkness covering the sky. It was a beautiful night, one had to admit, a night where many would find peace simply by gazing at the still, calming heavens above.

 

There was nothing to foretell the tragedy that was waiting to soon take place.

 

At this time, a Mr. Lee Seonwoong was rummaging through his backyard garden. His neighbour had just called, you see, asking if she could bother him for a pint of his wonderful, delightfully fresh strawberries. A strange request at this hour, but he'd agreed to pick a basketful nonetheless. The lady had always been thoughtful and friendly to Mr. Seonwoong, never failing to greet him with a cheerful smile, so he didn't mind doing this favour for her.

 

The elderly man reached out to pluck another handful of berries. Although the air was dusky, he could still make out the rouge bodies clustered together amongst the leaves. They dotted the plant with splotches of rich, vibrant red. Wonderful, wonderful, it was indeed quite wonderful. The man had always thought it was marvelous that he, a mere human being, had the power to create life such as this. Even if it was a tiny little plant, Seonwoong was fascinated. He had made the strawberry plant alive. He had nurtured it to become the delicate, yet strong life force it was now.

 

Wonderful, wonderful, life was a strange yet wonderful thing...

 

Just then, a sudden creaking noise interrupted the quiet of the night. It was the sound of the backyard gate opening, swinging forwards to permit the intruder on Seonwoong's property. But he didn't bother looking behind to see the unknown guest. He figured it was his neighbour lady, the one who'd asked for the strawberries, the only person who would have any reason to visit him at this hour.

 

He carefully placed the fruit inside his hamper. "Really, dear, there was no need for you to come now; I was just about to head over to give you these myself. Freshly picked, just like you wanted. But I do wonder what you might need them for-"

 

The reader shall never know what Seonwoong said next, because at that moment, a metal rod swung out of nowhere and hit the man on the back of his head. It made a sickening sort of thump, the kind that one might cringe or wince or even scream at. But not Seonwoong. He didn't scream. He couldn't scream. All he could do was drop the basket of berries and sway on the spot, a look of hazy shock taking over his face.

 

'The strawberries,' he thought dazedly, consciousness starting to slip out of his mind. 'The strawberries. She'll be waiting for them... The strawberries...'

 

Finally Seonwoong lurched forwards, falling flat on the ground beneath him. He never uttered a single word the entire time.

 

The person behind the struck-down male clucked his tongue. "Old man, you should be more careful when you wander out the house at night." Tossing his rod aside, he took a few objects out of his pocket and knelt by the body, now working with quick, efficient, and concentrated movements.

 

High above Earth, the sky twinkled with countless silver stars. They illuminated the darkness with their ethereal lights, making the entire scene a picture of poetic beauty. It was the kind of night where people might go outside and simply look, admiring the stars, their radiance, and the overall feeling of serenity they gave off.

 

There was no sign to tell that Lee Seonwoong had just been murdered in his garden.

 


 

[a/n] Holy crap, I'm not kidding when I say mysteries are a pain in the royal behind to create. It's probably harder to make one than to solve it! =x= Ugh, hopefully I have everything figured out now. I honestly can't wait to get this story going, because I have the best and most surprising twist in store for you (LOL suspense! (O 3 O)).