Greeting the Newbie with a Bang

When the Mockingbird Strikes

"Wow, you look like ."

 

Kim Myungsoo looked up from his computer as a cup of coffee was placed on his desk. Automatically, he reached for the cup and took a large gulp, relishing the warmth of hot liquid flowing throughout him. Freshly brewed black with two and a half sugars, just the way he liked it. Taking another swallow, the ravenet set the drink down and turned to the person who'd brought it over.

 

"Thanks, Woohyun," he said, dismissing his visitor's previous remark. "I needed that. I almost fell asleep three times trying to finish this report-" Myungsoo broke off in mid-sentence as he spotted an unfamiliar face lurking behind his friend.

 

"Hey, who are you?"

 

The man named Woohyun grinned. "Myungsoo, I'd like you to meet Lee Sungyeol." He slung an arm around his companion's shoulders. Sungyeol didn't say anything, but Myungsoo could see the faintly disgruntled expression etching onto his face. "He just started today, fresh out of the academy. But from what I hear, he's pretty good. He helped solve some local police cases in his second year."

 

"I see... Nice to meet you, Sungyeol." Myungsoo studied the newcomer from where he was sitting, trying to size him up the best he could. He looked young, with longish auburn hair and an angular face (Myungsoo figured him to be a couple years younger than he), and his eyes... It was his eyes that threw him off. Twin pools of intense dark brown, they reflected nothing of what Sungyeol was feeling inside. Not a hint of emotion was to be seen (except perhaps a flicker of annoyance, which Myungsoo could tell was directed at the chatty Woohyun).

 

'To see everything in the world but not show what he's thinking himself... Kind of like a one-way mirror,'  Myungsoo absentmindedly thought.

 

Woohyun continued, oblivious to Myungsoo's observant silence. "Obviously, since he's new, he's gonna need someone to show him the ropes. Like, give him a tour of the place, introduce everyone, teach him how we do things here at headquarters. And you know who I think is perfect for that job?"

 

"You?" Myungsoo asked, but a feeling of suspicion was starting to grow inside of him. Woohyun shook his head and smiled even wider.

 

"Nope. The lucky duck is you, Kim Myungsoo!"

 

'Of course it is.'  Myungsoo mentally face-palmed and gestured at his computer. "Look, as much as I'd like to help you guys out, I'm pretty busy right now. The boss is asking for the report today, and I, unlike some people- meaning you- actually want to finish my work by deadlines."

 

Nodding, Woohyun crossed his arms and leaned against the wall of Myungsoo's cubicle.

 

"Okay, that's cool," he said, "But I, unlike you, haven't even started on my own report yet, whereas you, unlike I, could probably get it done in the next ten minutes or something."

 

Myungsoo rolled his eyes. So that  was what this man wanted- he should have known. "Answer's still no, buddy. Next time learn to manage your time properly and finish your work in those hours." Throughout the building, Woohyun was famous for being an all-time procrastinator. He may have taken his investigations seriously, but somehow became an incredible slacker when it came to writing up files. It amazed Myungsoo that the guy even managed to hand his stuff in on time.

 

The seated male turned his attention back to his computer, but before he could resume typing, said procrastinator suddenly leaned over and flicked the screen off.

 

"Come on!" Woohyun ignored Myungsoo's vexed complaints and protests about the disturbance of his work. "I just need an hour to type it up, that's all. Be a pal and do this one favour for me. I brought you coffee, didn't I?"

 

"Yeah, and it tasted horrible!" Myungsoo irritably pressed the power button on his computer. The screen flickered back to life, showing his report once more. His nearly completed report, just a sentence away from being sent to the head office. Sighing, he rubbed at his eyes and let a defeated tone take over his voice. "Woohyun, that had better be a damned good report you're giving Sunggyu."

 

Woohyun visibly brightened. "So you'll do it? You'll help Sungyeol here?"

 

Myungsoo sighed again. "Yeah, I'll help him. I'll show him around." If he didn't, he suspected the slacking male would only persist in his pleas, not giving up until Myungsoo relented. Tiredly, he waved his hand to where Woohyun's own desk and computer were, located somewhere across the room. "Go. Before I decide otherwise."

 

His friend cheered and started bounding away (no doubt he was afraid of Myungsoo changing his mind). "Thanks, Myungsoo! I knew I could count on you!"

 

Snorting, Myungsoo watched his friend disappear through the rows of office cubicles. "Yeah, whatever." He reached over to turn his computer off once more, making sure his work had been saved on his home drive, then glanced up at the silent newbie. It occurred to Myungsoo that he hadn't spoken a single word the entire time.

 

"So..." Standing up from his chair, the dark-haired male stretched his arms out to give his muscles some sweet relief. "Sungyeol, was it? Shall we get going then?"

 

Sungyeol looked over at him with a rather indifferent expression on his face. "That's what I'm here for."

 

Letting his arms fall back to his sides, Myungsoo sighed to himself yet again. This was going to be a long hour.

 

------

 

"... and that was the photo dark room, where we keep our cameras and develop the pictures from crime scenes. Right here is the medical room, which is used if we get injured on an investigation, or a 'chase', if you will. The lounge is on the left end of this hallway, if you ever want a break..."

 

Myungsoo paused in his steps and turned to look at Sungyeol, letting the latter take in everything he was saying so far. But if Myungsoo expected to see the newcomer staring at everything in awe, jaw dropped open and eyes wide with wonder, he was disappointed. Sungyeol still had on that same bored-looking expression, barely even seeming to register what his senior was telling him.

 

The agent twitched. Here he was, sacrificing his precious work time to show Sungyeol around, and the rookie didn't even have the decency to listen to him. He could have at least pretended he was interested in his new work place, instead of looking like he would rather clean a fifty-stall horse stable.

 

Myungsoo tried to calm his peeved thoughts down. 'Maybe he's shy. Or it could be that he's just the quiet type. He looks like he doesn't say much to people.' Exhaling a deep breath, he decided to give his tour with Sungyeol another chance. After all, it had only been twenty minutes into the hour. Who was he to judge a person's character after so little time?

 

"So, Sungyeol," he began again, "We haven't seen everything in headquarters yet, but I'll stop here and start telling you about the divisions. There was only the cafeteria and filing rooms left, anyway." He resumed with his walk and beckoned for Sungyeol to do the same.

 

"Like they taught you at the academy, there are different parts to being an agent besides taping a crime scene or interrogating suspects. We have to dig for background info, link puzzle pieces together, and even search dead bodies for secrets that live witnesses can't tell us.

 

"That's where the divisions come in. Just like every other CSI branch, we have sub-units here, little sections that focus on the various roles of an agent. Don't get me wrong; we're all assigned to do investigations. It's just that some of us specialize in different aspects of CSI. We'll start," Myungsoo came to a stop in front of a large metallic door, where strange and disturbing noises were emitting from inside the room, "Here."

 

Myungsoo gripped the silver handle and swung the door wide open. Just as he did, a loud bang sounded in the air, followed by a few gleeful shouts and cackles that made Myungsoo regret bringing Sungyeol to that room.

 

"WHOOHEEEE, look at 'er go!"

 

"That was awesome! Can we do that again?"

 

"Aha, I guess you were right! Magnesium does have a super effect with this model!"

 

With a funny cross between a wince and a grimace, Myungsoo gestured at the noisy scene before him. "Welcome to the weaponry unit, Sungyeol."

 

Sungyeol slowly stepped inside the large room. Narrowing his dark eyes, he shoved his hands inside his pockets and scanned the premises, taking in the cabinets full of weapons, the neatly labelled boxes of artillery, and the line of cardboard targets nearly blown in half.

 

"... hn."

 

Before Myungsoo could comment on Sungyeol's oh-so impressed reaction, a young man skipped towards them. Tall and gangly, he gave off the air of an overgrown child, blonde hair flopping over his eyes and cheeks flushed with excitement. The ravenet thought he could've seriously passed for a high school or even elementary kid, if it weren't for the polished and slightly smoking gun he was holding onto.

 

"Yo, Myungsoo! Long time no see! How's it going, bro?" the blonde asked cheerfully, before calling over his shoulder, "Guys, guys, guess who's here? It's Myungsoo!"

 

"Hey, Zelo," Myungsoo replied. He eyed the dangerous-looking weapon in the blonde's hand, not liking how it was hanging so loosely and carefree in his grip. "Umm, is that what you used to shoot something just now? You know, whatever made that loud gunshot..."

 

"Ah, you heard it?" Two new people approached them from the other side of the room, both clad in bullet-proof vests and protective goggles. The one who had spoken, a woman with hair the colour of spun gold, flashed her teeth in a wicked smile. "That was my idea. Normally, an AK-3.90 wouldn't be able to set off a blast that high, but I noticed during last week's test run that it had a strange reaction to magnesium gun powder..."

 

The man beside her rolled his eyes. "Ignore her," he told them over her rambling. "She's been going on like that all morning." Taking off his goggles, he grinned and reached over to give Myungsoo a slap on the back.

 

"Kim Myungsoo! I haven't seen you since the case about the bartender. What have you been up to all this time, you little punk?" Then his gazed moved over Myungsoo's shoulder, like he noticed something in the room that he hadn't seen before.

 

"And who's your friend?"

 

Oh. Oh, yeah. It took Myungsoo a second before he realized what he was talking about. Sungyeol had been standing so quietly behind him, he'd almost forgotten that the rookie was there. "This is Lee Sungyeol, our newest agent. He just started today, and I thought it would be a good idea to walk him through the divisions." Turning to his (anti-social) companion, he added, "Sungyeol, meet the weaponry unit: Bang Yongguk, Lee Chaerin, and Choi Junhong... But him, we just call Zelo."

 

"That's me!" The lanky male beamed. "Junior officer of the weaponry division, at your service! If you ever need to blow stuff up, I'm the guy to call."

 

Chaerin snorted. "What do you mean, you're the guy? Are you forgetting who the professional bomb technician is?" To Sungyeol, she said, "Welcome aboard, kid. I'm Chaerin, senior agent and expert in all things sharp and pointy. If you want, you can call me CL for short."

 

"Short for Crazy Lady," Zelo muttered. Chaerin smacked him on the back of his head before continuing.

 

"We were in the middle of testing out some new artillery," she said, eyes gleaming. It was clear that as dangerous as her profession was, it was what she loved doing and was most passionate about. "Do you want to join? Yongguk was just about to show us how good he is with a mini SGH pistol."

 

Smiling faintly, Myungsoo shook his head to decline. "Thanks, but maybe another time. We still have the rest of the units to go through." He looked over at Sungyeol, who was now observing Zelo prance back to the target zone. "Hey, let's go over to the intelligence section. You're gonna need their help for nearly all of your cases, so it's best to meet them now rather than later."

 

Sungyeol arched an eyebrow. "Whatever you say," was his short reply.

 

Myungsoo tried not to let his irritation show on his face. Maintaining a calm composure, he jerked his head towards the front door. "Come on, we don't have much time." Resignedly, he thought to himself, 'Three more stops to go. Just three more stops, and then I'm free...'

 

Yongguk called them back just as they were about to step through the doorway.

 

"Wait, Myungsoo!" The muscular man strode up to them. "I forget to say earlier, Sungjong was looking for you."

 

"Sungjong?" Myungsoo asked in surprise. He hadn't seen or heard from his best friend and partner all day, so he was bemused to learn that the guy was in the building at all. "Do you know why?"

 

Shaking his head, Yongguk answered, "Nope, he didn't tell me. All he said was that he needed your help, and he'd be in filing room 317 if you could come." He slipped back on the plastic glasses and chuckled. "Hey, bring him with you the next time you visit. I've never seen anyone handle an M-16 Pro rifle as well as that little guy."

 

"Will do. I'll see you around, Yongguk." With that, Myungsoo bid the older man farewell and led Sungyeol through the outside hall.

 

He saw the newcomer glance back at the weapons room, where happy shouts and gun noises were starting to sound once again.

 

"They're not usually that rowdy," he told him, but then reconsidered his statement. "Okay, maybe they are, but you'll get used to it. We all did. They're not bad people."

 

Sungyeol flickered his eyes to meet Myungsoo's.

 

"... I wasn't thinking that," he spoke quietly. And that was all he said as Myungsoo led him to the elevator, wearing an unreadable expression the whole while.

 

 


 

[A/N]    Just a note, I'm not an expert in weaponry business at all, so for those of you who are, sorry if nothing makes sense. I'm just making up the names of these guns as I go B) Also, you'll see that I used the word "ravenet" to describe Myungsoo. I'm not sure if this is a real term or not, but I'm using it to describe him as a "raven-haired person", like brunet or redhead. Anyways, thanks for reading! :)