Alone in Our Hearts, Awake in Our Heads

Puzzle Piece

early to bed, early to rise...

Just get on the train. Just walk outside into the flustering air, the dewey sidewalk. Take the lift and get on the train.
Just get dressed and get out of the house.
Just get on the train.
Just wake up. Wake up from blurry dreams and the fogginess of your head.
Wake.
Up.

 

She stood in the kitchen, poised, so gracefully, stirring her cup thoughtfully by the window, lost in her own thoughts.
"There you are." she beamed, turning to him, beaming.
"Sorry I slept in." he responded with a quick peck on the cheek.
"You work hard. I let you sleep in, you needed it."
Her cup clinked softly, as it sat where it did before, on a series of rings it left on a glossy page of a magazine. She jokingly motioned her arms into a weak display of her muscle.
"You need all of your strength."
He smiled warmly, before his quick glance of happiness evaporated.
"Working."  Biting her lip, she tapped her bottom lip in thought.
"Sure it all seems so tedious now, but you worry too much; its not good for you. You need a break."
"That sounds great. Maybe we should go somewhere pretty soon." The splattering raindrops outside left streaks that trailed silhouetted over the large counter.
Her lips parted slightly, a small smile that flowered, as she brought the steaming cup back up to her lips. “All this work will kill you... Just keep that in mind when you try to give yourself a heart attack. Remember it, okay?"
“Remember...”


"Ahh.."  he couldn't even finish his thought, it just exited his flurried brain; almost a sigh when he collided with the muddy rain water. The wheels of the taxi kept moving; the car was gone, and the splash of water was seeping into his clothes. Of course. He stood, frozen for a moment longer, before reaching for his phone. She could fix this. She better fix this.
“Hello, Seunghyun! What can I do for you?”
"Jiyeon? You can do what I pay you to do. Seems like today has it in for me.  I can take the train to you within ten minutes. Will it be ready by then?" He didn't seem to really wait for a response. Descending the stairs, the connection popped and fizzed in his ear. "I'll ring you later. See you soon."

 

Life could be funny sometimes; there was always a replacement. He missed his bullet, but there was always another. His suit, greying from his misfortune would soon be replaced. It seemed like almost everything could be replaced. It was so funny he could gag.

He debarked the bus
subconsciously walking ahead,

subconsciously breathing;

everything was subconscious, because he definitely wasn't thinking.

His brain shut off a long time ago.
His grip around the handle of his briefcase twisted, left, then right, turning his knuckles white.  The washed voice of the speaker uttered and he stepped onto the platform, taking an escalator before stepping onto the street.