II. The Ripple Effect

Puzzle Piece


"When we come into contact with the other person, our thoughts and actions should express our mind of compassion, even if that person says and does things that are not easy to accept. We practice in this way until we see clearly that our love is not contingent upon the other person being lovable." TNH

 

Tick. Tick.. Tick... Like clockwork, his television swtiched on through the night while he slept, the dark room illuminated by the thin screen.The shadows that were stretched along the floor soon shrunk, crawling back up the wall, retreating from the entering sun. "--Poor financial results of major companies such as Apple and worsened business indicators. But, improved housing indicators -" Click. His hand rested on the remote, silently, before his eyes snapped open.  How early was it? He slinked to the kitchen, sluggishly yawning and stretching before  pouring from an endless pot of  coffee. He reached up in the cabinet, when it happened again; he  hesistated to grab another cup. How long had it been?  "Not long enough." Just about a year? Are you stupid? When are you going to learn, Seung? Throwing the other mug carelessly in the sink, he rolled his eyes, and walked away, not even thinking about cleaning the broken shards of glazed clay, the cracks glistening in the empty sink. Maybe if he broke enough cups and plates, he'd learn, he's only eating for one. Back to his room, he crossed the empty hallway that was once filled with sound of flustered clicking, from the window, a symphony of horns. But it was too early for traffic; the streets were empty, the hallway was empty. He laid across his bed, staring at the crescents and valleys of the duvet, tracing his fingers over the ridges lightly, before growing impatient with the hovering silence. He the television, watching the arrows of the stock exchange rise and fall with each report. He sighed, rolling onto his back.  He would have to finish his coffee and sit up. He would have to shower and get dressed. It was time for work. Now. Soon. Well, maybe, not just yet.