The Past

Remember Me?

 

 Saturday. ByungHee doesn't work on Saturdays... unless he has an appointment. I was still curious about what he said to me. Something about him never did one nice thing to me when we were both still kids. I didn't think it was possible. How could it? He's my brother isn't he? At least he made me laugh when I was a baby, right?

I was too curious about it and no one could explain about it better than my own brother who did it himself, right?

So I went to his room that morning. He was still fast asleep. I didn't wake him up like I usually do because it's Saturday, he should be resting. He must be tired of all the work. When I was about to walk out of his room he woke up.

“HyunKi? Is that you?” I nod, but I wasn't sure that he could see me nodding with those tiny eyes of his.

“What time is it?”He asked, I looked up to see the clock that was sitting right above his head.

“10 o'clock.” I answered. He sat down, his eyes got bigger, he looked shocked.

“10?! Why didn't you wake me up?” He asked,

“I couldn't bear waking you up. You look so peaceful when you're asleep, you must be exhausted. I checked your schedule, you don't have any appointments today so you're free.” I said.

“But since you're awake... Go bathe, I'll prepare your breakfast.” I continued then walked out of his room. I prepared coffee and pancakes for him to eat.

 

“Why aren't you eating?” He asked while I watched him eat,

“I ate already earlier this morning when you're asleep.” I answered. He continued eating.

“Oppa...” I called. He hummed while chewing on his breakfast.

“Can you tell me... about us?” I asked.

“What about... us?” He asked back.

“You said to me a last month that you never did a single nice thing to me when we were both young.” I said.

“Oh... that...” He rolled his eyes.

“Go to your room. I'll explain everything later.” He continued as he brings all his dirty dishes to the sink.

 

He went into my room a few moments later, bringing some photo albums, one of them I've already saw on my first day in this house. He put those books right in front of me. I opened one. I analyzed those pictures slowly in hopes that my memories will somehow comeback.

“Are you sure you want to know?” He asked, I nod positively.

“You said that you promise to help me regain my memories.” I said. He nod sadly. Somehow, I feel like he doesn't want to tell me about what happened between us in the past. He took a deep breath and started to talk

“You see...” He said

“Since you were born, I always hated you. I hated you because I don't like competitions. I had always been the only loved one, the one who always got all the attention, the one who got everything I desired. But then you came along... You're the one who ended up having everything I had. You're their favorite. I felt jealous and left out since you came into the picture.” He said and took another deep breath. I listened to him as I flip the pages of the photo albums. In every picture of us, he seemed to keep a lot of distance.

“You always knew that I hated you, but you kept being approachable. You always tried to talk to me. As we both grew up, our parents started to neglect us, that's why I bought my own house back then. They payed less attention to both of us, even you who they adore so much.” He continued.

“During High School, you started to rent an apartment. It was far from where I was living so we didn't see each other a lot. You had some troubles at school and you tried to talk to me about it, but I ignored you. I even told you to stay away from me once. After that, you never told me anything, you don't even visit me anymore. You became a loner. Your only friend was Cheolyong who volunteered to work with you at the shop. But you never once talked to Cheolyong about your problems.” He looked down in guilt as he plays with his own fingers.

“I felt bad that I did all those things to you. I want to be a better brother from now on. But, you probably hate me now.” He said. I smiled then hugged him with no hesitation.

“Of course not. That was the past. Everything is different now. There's no use for hating you. You are my brother after all, and I love you no matter what happens.” I said

“You've always been so nice to me.. It makes me feel guiltier than before. I thought that it was too late for me to apologize and make it up to you.” His tears fell and ran down his soft cheeks.

“It's never too late. Now let's just forgive and forget. We'll make a new fresh start. Agree?” I said, he nod and wiped his tear.