Chapter 3

In A Circle

“Kibum…”

“Hm?” He lifted his head and looked at him, attentively waiting for an answer. “W-what did you say?” Kibum slurred his words as he picked at a loose string that was hanging from the cuff of his sleeve-obviously he was nervous to death.

“I said, do you still love me.” Jinki replied in a calm tone, noticing Kibum’s little movements.

A nod came from the 20 year old and suppressed a sigh that almost left his lips. “I do..”

“What about Jonghyun?”

His head snapped up quickly, eyeing the 22 year old. “What about Jonghyun…”

Jinki pulled his hand away from the steering wheel and shifted in his seat to where he was facing Kibum. “Do you know that Jonghyun has feelings for you? At a--”

“I can say the same thing to you Jinki! Don’t you know that Taemin have feelings for you? Hello! Your still with him for the matter of fact.” Kibum was waving his right hand, a dramatic use as he scoffed and shook his head. “Way to ing ruin the moment Jinki Lee.”

“I didn’t ruin anything, it’s just a question that I had in mind.”

“Maybe you should try and fix things with Taemin how about that?”

“I should say the same thing to you.” Jinki re-used Kibum’s sentence and raised an eyebrow towards him. A glare was shot from Kibum’s feline eyes, Jinki pulled his eyes away as he took in a deep breathe. “Look, Kibum. What I’m trying to say is that I think I made a mistake. It was a sudden move to break up and get with another person, let alone it being someone you were usually close with--”

“Yeah, thanks a lot.” Kibum muttered silently to himself as he avoided the gaze from Jinki.

“As I was saying, I wanted to apologized, but I also wanted to know how you feel about Jonghyun. It’s just.. It’s just been running in my mind that you guys might end up together.”

Kibum raised his eyebrows at him, “And so what if we were together, it’s not like you were any closer to him then I am with him. Does it bother you that I was at his house? That I ran to him and not you--wait I can‘t because you were too busy with Taemin!” Kibum scoffed and shook his head.

“Does it bother you that I cried on his shoulder? Huh? Having him hold me close and comforting me and kissing my head because I felt like someone stabbed me in the heart!” Kibum raised his voiced as the anger in him finally released. His face red, breathe caught in the back of his throat, and hands that were tightly bunched together like a rock.

“Maybe this was already too much for you..” Jinki’s hand reached out to touch him as Kibum pulled his arm back violently before letting his hand touch him, “Take me home. Now.”

“Alright.” he answered in defeat. Jinki re-buckled himself and started the car as he drove straight towards Kibum’s house. The whole ride there was full of tension and silence. Jinki’s head filled with many words but he couldn’t find himself forming the right sentence, as he opened his mouth once he thought of something to say. He shut it right up and shook his head not wanting to have Kibum lash at him again. , what am I going to do.. He stopped at a red light, a block away from Kibum’s house, ready to say something before the car lighted up and feeling the rush of the cold air in his car.

“Yah, I’m almost at your house what are you doing?” His eyes widened at the scene he was observing now. Kibum out of his car and slamming the door shut. Rolling down the passenger’s window Jinki yelled out. “Yah!”

“Goodnight Jinki.” Was all he said as he crossed the street, the light still glowing red and the pedestrian sign wasn’t lit to tell him he could walk- Kibum walked anyways since it was about 5 in the morning and no one was driving anywhere, yet.

“Damn it.” Jinki muttered to himself as he took a left turn, glancing at the back of the skinny boy who never looked back at him. “I wonder what is going on in that thick head of his.” Holding the steering wheel in one hand he slipped the other in his jean pocket and tried to fish out his phone. Lifting his up a bit and pressed his shoulders against the seat to level himself as he pushed his hands further in his pocket, cussing underneath his breath as he finally grabbed hold of his sleek black phone and pulled it out, sighing a satisfied sigh with a big grin on his face he was about to ring up his good friend Minho before he dropped the phone and letting it slid under his seat. “ing .” he lowered his head, wiping that good ol’ grin off his face and continued his drive home.

~Hours later at Jonghyun’s house~

Jonghyun covered his eyes and sighed as the sunlight shone between the window blinds. He rolled around, stretching his body as he reached up extending his tone arms in the air. Opening one eye as he looked around the lightly lit living room, he noticed he was alone. Kibum was no where to be found, as he sat up on the couch he pulled the blanket-that wasn’t there before- off his body and rubbed his neck. Rubbing his face with both hands, he got up from the couch and strode off towards his room; looking for his phone.
“.. Where did I put it?” he muttered to himself as he walked to his bed lifting both pillows in the air to find nothing but sheets underneath it. Scratching his head he made a face and walked out of his room and down the hallway and looked at the entry way where the door was, there he found the black slick iPhone sitting there on the small table that held his wallet and keys. Grabbing it, he slid his thumb against the touch screen and entered his pass code to see that he had a missed call with a voice mail. Hoping that it was Kibum to tell Jonghyun why he had left or just anything to tell him he hadn’t been kidnapped or what not. Jonghyun pressed his phone to his ear, anticipating to hear his voice--

“Hello baby~ It’s mom, just calling to see if you wanted to come over later for lunch, your sister came back from her trip so I was wondering if you would like to come and surprised her. I bet she would loved it if she saw you, no? Do me a favor, when your coming down can you go downtown and buy her some of her favorite muffins from that one coffee shop?”

Jonghyun wondered when his mother would stop talking, but he was smiling and laughing silently to himself as he continued to listen. Sliding his finger to end the voice mail, he pressed his back against the wall as he lowered his head. “Guess I should go shower.” he mumbled and pushed his body off from the wall and walked back to his room and straight for the bathroom.

Parking his car in the empty lot, facing the café Jonghyun shook his head and ran his fingers down his soft brown fringe and fixing his sideburns. Taking the key out from the ignition he got out and locked his car. Pushing the sleeves up from his black cashmere cardigan to his elbows, he walked pulled the hem from his v-neck t-shirt down as he made his way up the curb. Without knowing, being so into fixing his clothes he collided with a small figure. Hands grabbing onto the strangers shoulders, feet clashing with one another. Both figures were desperately trying to steady themselves. “I’m so sorry, I wasn’t looking..” Jonghyun made sure the unfamiliar person he was holding onto was alright as he lifted his head to meet the person’s eyes.

“Oh.. Jonghyun.” Taemin softly said his name as he took a step back from him.

“Taemin.” he looked at the skinny boy who looked at him, boring his huge brown eyes at him as Jonghyun stood up straight.

“It’s good to see you.”

“Same here.” he muttered towards the young boy as he made his way towards the café without any other word.

“Were you with Kibum last night?”

Jonghyun stopped his hand from reaching the handle onto the doorway of the café as he turned around and faced him.

“We’ll always be together, promise me that”

Shaking his head from the quick flashback he pressed his lips in a straight line and turned his back towards Taemin, “Taemin… Let’s talk.” He pulled the door open as he took a step to the side, waiting for the young one to finally agree, hesitating by the door just a bit before walking in.
----

As Jinki was about to park his car, he did a little scan in his car as something caught his eye. A pink rectangular shape nestled in between his car seat cushion. Jinki cocked his head to the side as Kibum’s name popped into his head. Reaching out as he grabbed it and did a little inspection to it , it vibrated in his hand. Causing him to jump in his seat and also letting the phone slip in his hand, “Not again!” he thought to himself as he hurriedly reached down to catch it before it hit the carpeted ground. “Saved it!” he smirked to himself and laughed as the phone was still vibrating.

Looking at the caller ID, it only showed numbers. Reading it to himself, Jinki slowly pressed the answer button on the screen-touch screen, how nice- and pressed the phone to his ear.

“Give it back Jinki.” A voice growled behind the phone as Jinki perked up.

“Hello to you too stranger.” he coolly answered.

“I swear, if you don’t come back and give me my phone I will cut off your and give it to my cat.”

“You don’t have one Kibum.” he smirked.

I’ll buy one, now come back.” Kibum wasn’t in a playing mood, his phone was his life and he needed it.

“Alright alright, only if you meet me somewhere.”

“NO!”

“Why not?”

“Because hours ago you told me to meet you somewhere and I was sitting in the ing cold. Now come here and drop it off!”

“Come on, why n--”

“NOW!”


“Alright alright,” Jinki repeated himself as he chuckled over the phone, “By the way, I like your wallpaper.”

“You fu--”

Jinki had pressed the end button and got out of his car, holding onto Kibum’s phone he looked at the wallpaper again. It was a picture of Jinki at the beach, wearing a white and turquoise stripped zip-up jacket with nothing underneath it.

“He still kept that picture…” Jinki smiled to himself as he walked straight towards his apartment.