Good News

The SM Dilemma

Poppy walked into her room, tired and ready to sleep after her flight got back from LA. She had been on the Ellen show for her recent hit, The Outcast Club. Being known was fun, but Poppy didn't want just to be known for a couple movies and a web series. She sighed and plopped onto her bed. It felt good to be home. For now. Graduation of rearing it's ugly head and she desperately wanted to get out of Oregon. She wanted to move to Seoul and go to Ehwa Womens University to study film and TV.

"Poppy, Katie is here." Her mom called out.

"Yeah, coming." Poppy called back.

As she exited her room, she pulled her long red hair into a ponytail. Say hello to Katie, say goodbye to Katie, go shower and sleep. Good plan, but better said than done.

"Pop Rocks!" The shorter blonde said.

"Hey, Kitty Cat." They hugged.

"How was LA? How was Ellen? Did you miss me?" Katie asked, having missed the last week without her friend.

"One question out of a time. I'm so tired I can't even remember my name."

The younger nodded and followed Poppy to her room. Trying not to trip over a pile of shoes, Katie made her way inside. The room was a total mess, as always. There was never any time to clean, and even if there was, that time would get consumed by school, or work, or something.

The Crayola red head slumped over on her bed and closed her eyes.

"Please let me die..."

"Can't do. If I did then I would be lonely."

Poppy looked up at her friend, starring daggers. She was too tired for jokes, and truly wished her best friend (practically sister) would leave. Business trips always made her upset, because it always ended the same. Pissy manager (mom), tired Poppy, nothing worth it. Just getting interviewed and titled as another brilliant teenage mind that will end up a screw up. Not this time.

"Kittie Cat?" The older of the two rolled onto her stomach.

"Yeah?"

"What if I could make it in Seoul? What if I could prove I'm actually good and worth it?"

Katie shrugged.

"It would be cool, but how are you gonna do that?"

Poppy sighed and got up, grabbing her laptop from one of her tables. Scrolling through un read emails and notifications. The first of the emails was from her pen pal in South Korea, Eun Hee. After running the email through a translator, Poppy and Katie read together.

From: Eun Hee

Subject: College

I can't wait for you to get here after you graduate! We can meet in person! It'll be fun, I can show you all of the highlights of Korea. Though, you probably already know them all from the internet. But it'll be so much better in real life. And we can stake out the different music companies for idols ^.^

The email went on about how school is and asking about her and her directing. As usual, all Eun Hee could do was fangirl over her favorite idols. It was pretty boring after a year of it. But they had become close, so it was like when she talked with Katie. Speaking other other, she was watching Poppy with a slight pout.

"Pop Rocks?"

"Hmm...?" The red head was too wrapped up in her emails.

"What are we going to do well you're in Korea? I'll still be here."

Poppy looked up, realizing her friend was right. The thought of losing each other was devastating, she couldn't deal with losing someone so close. Like losing a sister... Neither could think like that, they knew this was coming. And they had a plan. Go their separate ways for college, and then Katie would move to Korea to become an English language teacher. It was perfect. For now.

"We'll still talk, and we can..." She threw her laptop on the bed and hugged Katie close, fighting back tears. "I'll miss you..."

The two stayed embraced, enjoying their moment together, as they didn't have many left. The loneliness of college already loomed over them, graduation was only a few weeks away. Not seeing each other... They were in constant contact, how could they feel like this? They never felt lonely when they were together.

Poppy pulled out of the hug and took a deep breath.

"We can set up times we can video chat, and we can talk online. I promise, we will never be out of contact."

Katie nodded.

"I love you, Poppy." Katie said to her big sister.

"I love you, too, Katie." Poppy smiled.

They laughed slightly and Poppy grabbed her laptop from where she threw it. They looked at the spam mail she got until her inbox was empty. They sat for hours laughing and having fun, playing games and being stupid. This was how best friends were supposed to be, but this was all changing soon. It was hard to accept, but they had to.

"Poppy?" Her mother knocked on the door.

"Yeah? What is it?"

The two girls watched the business woman walk in, holding an envelope.

"I think you should be the one to open this." She said.

"What is it?" Poppy hopped over and took it.

It was a pale blush pink envelope that looked plain on the front. It wasn't until she turned it around that she saw what was special. The logo in the top left hand corner.


Yay! First chapter! I hope you like, I've been thinking about this one for a bit now.