(04) Airhead

Phobia Meets Mania

 

 

                “So this is Donghae, my best friend, and that is Mojo, my frienemy.”

                “My name is Hyukjae, not Mojo, you !” he sneers at me, making both me and Donghae laugh. “And yeah, my name is Lee Hyukjae. Nice to finally meet you, Kyuhyun.” He offers his hand for a handshake. Kyuhyun, being the Automaniac that he is, just stares at the hand offered to him without knowing what to do. Feeling awkward, Hyukjae takes his hand back then scratches the back of his neck.

                “Sorry, I forgot to mention that he’s suffering from Automania.”

                “What’s Automania?” Hyukjae and Donghae ask simultaneously.

                “It’s an uncontrollable obsession for solitude or just being alone,” I answer as I sit down, patting the space beside me while looking at the glasses-clad Kyuhyun. “At least that’s what he said yesterday.”

                Kyuhyun sits down beside me, adjusting his glasses. I’m guessing he’s awkward around these two because he sits down impossibly close to me.

                “Is that so? Why is he going to school then?” Donghae asks.

                “Therapy, I think?” I answer. “Anyways, I need to go take a leak. You guys talk to Kyuhyun here first and make sure he doesn’t get mobbed. He doesn’t like it.” I shoot up then sprint towards the nearest bathroom. My bladder isn’t going to hold it much longer and I seriously need relief.

                When I finally release everything I’m holding, I zip my pants and almost scream at the person creeping behind me when I turn around. He places a hand to cover my mouth and that effectively ceases me from screaming even more.

                “Why are you here?” I ask once he removes his hand from my mouth. It took me a moment to recover from my shock but when I did, I walk over to the sink to wash my hand as if nothing happened.

                “I’m only comfortable around you,” Kyuhyun answers while looking directly at me. “Besides, I don’t like being the third wheel.” A what now?!

                “Yah! Are you calling me a third wheel?” I ask as I glare at him through the mirror.

                “No, I’m just saying you’re insensitive.” I am not! “Those two obviously like each other.” Obviously. Wait, what?!

                “Repeat that again.”

                “They like each other. See, you really are insensitive,” he quips. “They’re pretty obvious actually.”

                “No they’re not. If they are obvious, I would’ve noticed,” I defend myself. I should at least try right? Right? Oh, come on! It’s my pride that’s at stake here! “Besides, I don’t think that monkey likes Donghae.”

                “Suit yourself,” he mutters with a shrug. “Let’s go back. Lunch is almost over.”

                “Since when did you care?” I ask, ignoring the arm on my shoulder.

                “Since you decided to have me wear these glasses.”

.: | :.

                The next few days fly by. Those ‘few’ days are the most awkward days for me. Why? Because: 1) Kyuhyun keeps following me wherever I go. It’s creepy! Add the stares people are giving me. 2) Noticing my best friend and Mojo’s subtle flirting. I don’t get why I never notice those things before. 3) Sitting side by side with Kyuhyun every night just to talk. The first time isn’t awkward but when done repeatedly is very awkward.

                Aside from that, he has been holding my hand a lot, especially during Home Economics when we go to the kitchen. He also crawls over to my bed at night then holds my hand like a lost little kid. I find it cute honestly, but also annoying when we’re in front of other people. I can’t risk having people know that I’m interested in this guy. Interested? The only person I’m interested in is that gym teacher, Prof. Joon. Damn that body…

                “You’re drooling,” Mojo points out off-handedly. I wipe my mouth and true to his words, there’s a trail of saliva on my chin.

                “What are you thinking about?” Donghae asks.

                “Gym teacher,” I answer before grabbing Hyukjae’s banana and peeling it. I’m talking about the yellow fruit not the other one. Manners, people. Manners.

                “You know, you can just walk up to him and tell him you like him.” Another off-handed statement coming from the monkey himself. “Or to just any random guy.”

                “Or girl. You’re pretty popular considering you’re an airhead.” Thank you my dear best friend for adding salt to my wound. I know I’m an airhead. Kyuhyun reminds me of that every single night. I blame my genes for that. Besides, Jungsu is more of an airhead than me.

                “Yeah, yeah. Keep calling me an airhead. You guys are part of the group too,” I mumble dejectedly like a five year old kid. I even pouted for Pete’s sake. Before Donghae or even monkey brain can answer, my head is thrown forward by a strong slap on the back of my head.

                “Yah! What was that for?!” I yell because it hurts. Since Kyuhyun doesn’t speak in front of these two, he pulls me away towards the secluded area of the garden.

                “Are you sure you’re one of the top ten in the whole class? Because I can hardly believe that fact now,” Kyuhyun says. He removes his eye glasses then shakes his head. “What am I going to do with you?”

                “I really am an airhead huh?” I question.

                “Indeed. I think this whole ordeal is stressing you out,” Kyuhyun explains. “When you knew about their feelings you sort of changed the way you act around them. You should stop that. You’re scaring Donghae.”

                “How would you know?” I scoff.

                “I know because other than you, I’m not an airhead.”

                “Please stop saying the ‘A’ word. It’s getting on my nerves,” I whine like a little puppy. Why puppy, I have yet to find out. “Let’s just go back. I can’t believe you have to drag me out here just to insult me.” I start walking back towards the not-so-official couple with Kyuhyun trailing behind me.

                “You’re the only person I’d want to drag though,” Kyuhyun confesses. When I turn around, he’s staring directly at me. Plus, he’s standing a good two feet away from me. This should’ve been awkward but my heart is doing somersaults at the moment. My feet are frozen to the ground and as we continue staring at each other, wind blows gently causing his hair to sway and oh my god! This is a common anime scene. How corny can I get?

                “I’m comfortable when I’m with you, Jongwoon. It’s weird but it’s true,” he continues.

                A step closer, beating of the heart: doubles its speed.

                Another step closer. Triple speed.

                A palm on my cheek.

                Thumb caressing it.

                Smile on his face.

                I think I’m in heaven. Stupid wind doesn’t stop blowing. It makes the scene even more romantic. The only thing missing is the background music and a kiss on the lips. That snaps me out of my trance. A kiss on the lips?! What in the world?!

                “I think we should go back now. Yeah. That’s right. Err, let’s go?” I blabber as I scurry away, far away from Kyuhyun. Goodness, I bet my face is as red as a tomato right now because my cheeks are burning. And my heart. Stupid heart! Why is it still beating really fast and loud?

                The scene earlier was so romantic I could gag if I wasn’t a romantic at heart. I haven’t been like this since… since…

                When was the last time I acted like this?

                “Acted like what Jongwoon?” Donghae asks while lying on Mojo’s lap.

                “Why are you lying on his lap?”

                “Is something wrong with that?” Hyukjae asks me back. Why is the question being asked being answered by another question? Ugh.

                “No,” I reply as I take my seat. Kyuhyun follows and sits down beside me. I try my best to ignore him and what had occurred earlier. I really did but my stupid heart is accelerating once more. I try to distract myself with anything I can find. My sight lands on a pair of hands intertwined.

                “WHY ARE YOU HOLDING HANDS?” I shriek. Yeah, shriek while pointing my finger at them. Donghae and Hyukjae look at their hands, then to each other, then to me with confusion etched on their faces.

                “Holding hands are normal for couples Jongwoon,” Mojo says matter-of-factly.

                “You… you guys are together?” They look at each other once more before nodding. Seriously? Ugh I therefore conclude that I definitely am an airhead. Bow. 

 

 


 

I forgot to update last week and I almost forgot to update again. lol. anyways, enjoy! Gosh, i miss writing. Oh and I haven't abandon any of my works yet. I just haven't written something in so long because of school stuff.

Oh and please do comment. I feel unaapreciated. T^T I'm not being a drama queen. That's Jongwoon's job.