02 Run Away

Phobia Meets Mania

 

                “I hate this. I honestly hate this. I despise it even! Why of all people does it have to be me? Of all people, me?! Why, oh why, am I so unfortunate?”

                “Stop being so overly dramatic Jongwoon. He’s just a guy with a pretty face,” Donghae says nonchalantly as he eats his yogurt. I roll my eyes at that statement. Pretty face my .

                “He’s a living, walking, doll for crying out loud! How am I supposed to survive high school when inside my dorm I’m already considered dead?” I slam my head on the table. It hurts, letting me know that this is real and not a dream. “Why can’t I just live in your dorm instead?”

                “Because Hyukjae’s there. And everybody in the dorm knows that you and Hyukjae will probably kill each other if left in the same room alone for ten seconds.” Donghae grabs the carton of chocolate milk.

                “Why can’t he just exchange rooms with me? He likes dolls right?”

                “I don’t like dolls. I just love pestering you,” Hyukjae interrupts. Oh, great! Now Mojo’s here. I thought he hated me but why does he always sit near me whenever possible? “By the way, Annie wants to say good morning.”

                “GET THAT OFFENDING OBJECT AWAY FROM ME!”

                I must’ve shouted really loud, because now everyone’s looking at me like I killed somebody. Hyukjae and Donghae are shocked as well. Mojo slowly retracts the hideous object while Donghae and the others continue gaping at me. I shouldn’t have shouted.

                “What’s wrong with you man? Why’re you so agitated so early in the morning?” Hyukjae asks. I rub my eyes then yawn.

                “I didn’t get enough sleep. The new guy is just…”

                “Is it that bad?” Donghae asks, squeezing my hand. There are only two people in this school who know of my fear and it’s these two. Sometimes they make fun of me, but I know that they’re only helping me. Hyukjae sometimes goes overboard, but still… I sigh before nodding.

                “I’ll go and talk to the dorm master then, alright? Maybe there’s someone who’ll be willing to change rooms with y-” Donghae is rudely cut off by loud squeals and cheers from the female population of this damn school.

                This school has two dormitories—one for the boys and one for the girls. The cafeteria/assembly hall is the one that connects both buildings. Right now, we’re eating our breakfast.

                The rules of this dormitory are simple: 1) Don’t be late when food calls. Arrive as early as you can. 2) You can’t bring girls in the boy’s dormitory and vice versa, for obvious reasons. 3) A study hall has been made on the second floor of the cafeteria if a co-ed group session will be held. 4) Keep the bathrooms clean. 5) Never wear white (implies to the boys dormitory only).

                “What’s going on there?” Donghae asks no one in particular I think. We all turn our attention towards the mob of girls. Though we had our necks extended, we still couldn’t catch a glimpse of the person by the entrance. And by the looks of it, I doubt he’ll be able to eat anything.

                “Let’s go check it out, Hae. Do you want to join us?” Hyukjae asks. I shake my head and proceed to rest my head on my arms. A little bit of sleep will be sufficient enough to get me through the day… I hope.

                A tap on my shoulder wakes me up from my much needed sleep. Is it time already? But it felt like a few seconds of sleep… Damn it! Stop tapping me whoever you are!

                “What?” I ask still in my half asleep state.

                “Why don’t you just sleep in our room instead?” said some unfamiliar voice. I open my eyes and for a moment there I thought I saw my roommate. My vision is so blurry… I rub both my eyes a little and focus on the person talking to me and OH MY GOD IT’S HIM! That sight alone makes me jump out of my seat and land ten feet away from where I was sitting.

                “Are you alright?” The thing asks as he extends his arm and tries to grab a hold of me. I’m staring at his humongous hand and my sight trails upward to… to…

                “AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!! STAY AWAY FROM MEEEEE!”

                I scream once more I guess and now I’m running away towards my first class even though it’s way too early. Oh, well. At least I’ll have 30 minutes more of sleep. Whoo-pee!

.: | :.

                The class was supposed to start eons ago and yet the teacher is not yet here. What a professional. Not. Right now, Donghae and I are listening to some random song coming from Mojo’s iPod which I successfully got from his bag without him noticing back at the cafeteria. I’m awesome, I know.

                “Sorry I’m late class. We had a last minute meeting with the director so I apologize for that. Anyways…” Ah, our professor who never seems to know the meaning of “slow down”. He’s always so fast paced in everything except lessons. He walks fast, he eats fast, he talks fast… I wonder what else he can do at a fast rate.

                “…we have a new student here and I would appreciate it if you welcome him…” A new student, huh? I hope he’s hot. I hope he’s a ‘he’.

                “Hey, Jongwoon, he’s calling you…” Donghae nudges me before pointing at the direction of our teacher.

                “Mr. Kim, can you show the new student around the school later?” he asks. I trail my sight to the left and oh ing beefsteaks! It’s him! It’s him! Why does it have to be me? Of all people!

                “Mr. Kim, are you alright?”

                “C-can’t Donghae do it instead?”

                “But he personally asked for your assistance Mr. Kim. Plus, aren’t you roommates?”

                Kill me now please! Oh goodness he’s coming here. He’s really walking towards me. Please don’t stop in front of me. Please ignore me. Please walk past me. I’m already hyperventilating as it is. Oh dear Lord.

                “Jongwoon… calm down!” Donghae whispers. I would if I could. This guy looks like a living doll and oh he’s stopping right in front of my desk. Don’t look up, Jongwoon. Don’t look up, god damn it. “Jongwoon, deep breaths. Deep breaths.”

                “Hello. I don’t think we’ve properly met before. My name is Kyuhyun and you are?” He’s talking to me! He’s talking to me. And his arm is extended asking me to shake it. Really, why does it have to be me of all people?

                “Err… his name is Jongwoon and he’s uh… not particularly fond of… err… pretty guys…” Donghae explains as best he can to try and not offend the guy in front. This… Kyuhyun guy. I try not to look at his face really, but… when he retracts his hand and kneels down in front of my desk, I just lose it. Consciousness, I mean. Damn.

.: | :.

                “I really don’t think I need to introduce Annie to you anymore,” Hyukjae says. Having lunch outside is much more refreshing than eating inside the jungle of the school cafeteria. “Whatever, monkey,” I retort. Honestly, I’m really, really annoyed with him. Can I kill him please? Nah, Donghae will kill me. He’s got this huge crush on Mojo and I have no idea what he saw in him. He’s not even that good looking. Ok, that was a lie. He’s the definition of a god because though he’s skinny, his body is to die for. If it wasn’t for the fact that he loves scaring me to death, I would’ve fallen head over heels for him.

                “What’s with you and bananas?” I ask when he starts peeling one.

                “I love bananas,” he answers. “If you know what I mean.” I forgot to mention that he’s also a ert. He only talks like that when he’s with me but he never once talked dirty when he’s talking to Donghae. Unfair. This world really is unfair.

                “You’ve been fainting a lot Jongwoon. Are you sure you’re going to be fine?” Donghae asks as he passes me a club house. “You didn’t eat breakfast earlier either.”

                “I’m going to be fine I think. I just need sleep, and I’m not hungry.”

                “If you become hungry, come find me and I’ll be willing to give you my banana,” Hyukjae offers with a goofy smile.

                “ert!” I threw the carton of milk and luckily it hit him in the face. Serves you right erted ego maniac.

                “Donghae! I need your thighs.” I rest my head on his lap after he adjusted himself. Ah, squishy thighs. Squishy, squishy thighs. I’m in heaven.

                “I think your new roommate is hot by the way,” Hyukjae says out of the blue. What the ? Hot? Is he deranged or something? That successfully woke me up. I tilt my head a little upwards just so I can see his monkey face.

                “In which aspect do you find him hot? Because I find him creepy.”

                “I find him creepy too. There’s something about him that I can’t put my finger on,” Donghae mutters while my hair. I love it when he does that.

                “See? He really is creepy. Plus the fact that he looks more like a doll than a human being is…” I shiver at the thought.

                “That’s why I find him hot actually. He looks like a doll, meaning, I don’t have to run after you with a doll every single day just to annoy you. He just has to pop out of nowhere and poof! Catastrophe in the making!” Hyukjae extends his arm in an attempt to make something pop out. I imagine smoke coming out and the Kyuhyun guy appearing. I shake my head to remove such foul thoughts.

                “ you, Mojo! you!” I curse as I close my eyes once more and let Donghae’s take me away to dream land. Still. Squishy thighs are squishy.

.: | :.

                It has been two weeks since the Kyuhyun person first popped out in our school. I think he’s settling in quite nicely though he still pops out of nowhere. No one really knows where he goes during breaks.

                I, on the other hand, am getting weaker and weaker. I haven’t had enough sleep since he’s become my roommate. I’m completely terrified to see him in our room that I even made a curtain to add more separation between us. But I’m still terrified that he might suddenly appear beside my bed when the time comes. Ugh. I even personally asked the dorm manager if I could change rooms but he said no.

                My head is killing me. What time is it? Is it already morning? I don’t think so. The sky says it’s still night time. I try getting up because I suddenly feel thirsty. I try to get up but I fall and I think I managed to pull the curtain down with me. Why is our room spinning?

                “Are you alright?”

                He’s awake! Oh ! He’s awake. I need to get up and hide. I can’t see his face. I can’t…

                “Let me help you up,” he offers.

                “No! Stay away from me…” I croak. I try getting up once again but I can’t lift my body up. I’m too weak right now plus, my head is really killing me.

                “Just let me help you. You really look like you’re in pain,” he offers again. I really want to reject his offer but I don’t want to sleep on the floor. He kneels down beside me and before I know it I’m being lifted off the ground and placed down on my bed.

                “You’re burning up,” he says. I see him reach for the table lamp but I stop him. “What?”

                “Don’t… don’t turn it on.”

                “Why?”

                “If I see your face I’ll faint,” I whisper. At least I can look at his face now because it’s too dark to see the details. “I don’t want to faint…”

                “Alright,” he says as he stands up. “I think I have medicine here. I’ll be back.”

                I don’t know why he’s still nice to me even though I have been hiding from him like the plague. If he didn’t have that face, maybe, just maybe, I’d fall for him. But that’s just my currently delusional self talking so don’t mind it.

                The last thing I recall after drinking the medicine is a towel being placed on my forehead and Kyuhyun singing a lullaby to me.

 

 

 

 

 


 

Because Hyukjae being a ert here makes me smile and cringe at the same time. :) How's everyone doing? There's a lot of commotion about the maintenace of AFF and some of you didn't read the large message above. /looks up

By the way, I thank those people who commented on the previous chapter. thank you, thank you so, so much! 

Anyways, here's the update as promised and it's still thursday in all parts of the world. I lost followers and comments because of the maintenace but I think that's fine. at least I have some left. Right? Right? Oh, oh. and wave to all my loyal readers there who i always recognize whenever they subscribe/comment. Do you want a shout out for the next chapter? :3

Ahhh~ busy busy. too busy~ Enjoy the chapter!