I’m kind of disappoint you didn’t say boyfriend

The Best Way to Love is to Forget

Jiho was waiting impatiently for someone to come speak to him. He was shifting around in the chair he was sitting in every five seconds. He hadn’t been told anything about Myunghee’s condition. He was just waiting in the dark. He didn’t even get informed about the severity of the accident. They kept telling him he had to wait for her to stabilize. He looked down at his hands as he bit skin off his bottom lip. His hands were red from rubbing against his pants, rubbing against each other, and just twisting the skin around. He decided to approach the counter again. It had only been five minutes since the last time he did.

“No, sweetie, we haven’t heard yet. We will let you know once we do.” The nurse behind the tall counter didn’t even turn to him as she spoke.

“This is kind of serious. I can’t even be informed how she is doing, please?” He reached his hands out to exaggerate his feelings of desperation to get just a little sliver of information. He needed to know she wasn’t dying or anything.

“Sweetie, I’m going to need you to keep your arms in your personal space and not mine.” She turned at looked at him. “And no. You can’t. This is the emergency room. Do you know how many people we have in here and how short staffed we are?”

“Is that just something they teach you to say? ‘Do you know how short staffed we are?’ They always say that in movies.” Jiho pulled his arms into himself.  She just stared at him and pursed her lips. Jiho crossed his arms and rested his chin on them. “You standing there is not going to make it quicker. When people are in accidents there are many things they have to do. You can’t be in the back taking up space while they’re running test. Think of it this way, you’re helping her by sitting out here patiently.” She gave a forced smile and turned back to her computer screen. Jiho sighed and slouched off the counter and slumped back into the waiting room chair. He picked up his phone to see if he had received any messages from his boss. There were zero. It pissed him off.

Jiho had already been waiting her for two, maybe three, hours. He was the one here freaking out over Myunghee, while Chul-Soo was probably in bed sleeping peacefully with his wife. Jiho clenched his fists and tightened his jaw at the thought of it. He wanted Myunghee to give up on his so bad. He thought she was so stupid for being with him. He wanted to slap her and open her eyes. He wanted to make her see. He just wanted her to not be with Chul-Soo. She didn’t have to leave Chul-Soo for him, he just didn’t want her to be with him. He sighed and laid his head back against the wall. He didn’t think he could grow any more impatient than he already was. He started biting his lower lip again just trying to think of Myunghee. He thought of Myunghee before she left. He had upset her. He didn’t want her to leave so soon but she did. He sat up and leaned over, propping himself up on his knees. He sighed heavily again.

“Sweetie, you keep sighing that loudly, we’re going have to put you in the back on oxygen. The more you stress it the longer it will see.” Jiho looked over at her and gave a weak smile. He leaned back into the seat again and crossed his legs and arms. He held his place for longer than he realized. He was biting his lower lip again. He tasted blood, he had been peeling at the skin so much. He got up and headed to the restroom to wash his mouth off. He looked at himself in the mirror for a second to think to himself.

‘I hope she just leaves him after this. He’s not here. I am.’ He thought to himself as he exited the bathroom. He entered the lobby again and saw someone sitting his chair. He walked a little further and sat down in a row of chairs right in front of the desk.

“Where were you, sweetie?” The girl behind the desk stood up and looked over at him. He looked up at her slightly confused since she was address him before he addressed her.

“I was in the bathroom. What’s it matter?” Zico shrugged.

“They came out looking for you. You can go in now.” Jiho stood up so quickly and headed towards the door.

“Really? the second I go into the pisser?!” He placed his hand on the door and pulled.

“You’ve got to keep a visitor pass first.” Jiho tuned on his heels so quickly and sped over to the counter. The only thing that stopped him was the fact the counter was a solid mass. He reached his hand over and right in front of the nurse.

“Thank you.” He slapped the pass on his chest and waited for her to unlock the doors for him to go through the doors. He was greeted at another counter, with equally unfriendly mixed with friendly faces.

“I’m here to see Myunghee...” The man behind the counter stared blankly.

“Oh! I know who you’re talking about.” He looked down at his computer in front of him. “She’s been transferred into the main hospital. I can have someone take you over to her room.”

“Are you serious? I’ve been here for ing ever. I just got told to come in here! How is she gone already? Why didn’t you guys just get me when she was up there?! Is she okay?”

“Excuse me, sir, if you find it necessary to talk to me like that - I will not help you.” He began to turn away from Jiho. Jiho then reached over the counter for him, grabbing onto his sleeve. “Are you going to be calm and polie?” Jiho nodded.

He waited for someone to come and get him and lead him all the way to the other side of the hospital. They finally made it there after about 15 minutes, including him waiting to be escorted. When he finally entered the room, his chest hurt. Myunghee was lying on the bed. She had a broken on and her head was wrapped, she seemed look okay other than that. There was low hum of the electronics in the room and the beeps monitoring her vitals. Jiho slowly approached her bedside and grabbed her hand. She tightened her hand to his grip. He smiled to himself thinking it must have just been involuntary.

“Myunghee... what happened?” He leaned over to rest his head on the bed beside hers. She was propped up at an angle in the bed, so it didn’t take much effort.

“She suffered a concussion, multiple contusions, and 5 fractures in her left arm. She’s very lucky that that’s all that happened.” Jiho turned to see a man dressed in a button up shirt with khakis and a white overcoat.

“Lucky?” He turned back to Myunghee. “What happened? Does anyone know?” he rubbed the pad of his thumb over the back on her hand. She made a little noise as if she were trying to readjust herself.

“Yes. The other driver was brought here, too. He didn’t have anything wrong with him. He was intoxicated and wasn’t paying attention. He said Myunghee came out of nowhere. Other than that, we have no real details. The gentlemen still has a high blood alcohol content level.” The doctor approached the side of Jiho. “Are you her boyfriend?” Jiho shook his head.

“No. We’re friends. I was scared less out there waiting.” Jiho pulled Myunghee’s hand up to his mouth to kiss it. He turned to the doctor. “So, she will be fine?”

“For the most part, yes. She was in and out for a while. She couldn’t really answer anything, so we have to wait until she wakes up completely before we give a final say.” The doctor nodded.

“Okay... “ He turned back towards Myunghee and placed his hand on her forehead, pushing her hair off. “Why are you so... Myunghee...” He sighed yet again.

“Just be patient, son. She will be okay.” The doctor placed a hand on Jiho’s shoulder for reassurance. He responded with a weak smile.

“Thanks, Doc.” Jiho let go of Myunghee’s hand and went to sit in the chair beside her bed. It dawned on him, he needed to get in touch with Chul-Soo. He pulled out his phone and sent him a text letting him know she was okay. He didn’t get a response quickly. Jiho was finally letting himself rest. He leaned over to the arm of the chair and closed his eyes.




“Excuse me...” Jiho stuck a finger in his ear and wiggled it, he then readjusted himself.

“Excuse me.” Jiho opened his eyes and looked over to the bed.

“Myunghee!” He got up and ran to her side. She just stared at him. “How are you feeling?

“I guess I feel fine.... I’m a little thirsty.” She touched her neck.

“I’ll go get something for you” Jiho headed out there door to flag someone down. He came back in and gave it to her. She drank it slowly and looking at his questionably the whole time.

“Why are you looking at me so intently?” She placed the cup down gently to rest on her lap.

“Because I was worried about you.” Jiho touched her cheek softly.

“Thank you....” She looked at him waiting for him to say his name.

“It’s not problem.” He didn’t catch onto that. He thought she was just mumbling off.

“What’s your name and who are you?” She tilted her head to the side.

“What?” Jiho pulled his hand back.

“You’re very kind. I just I don’t...” Jiho excused himself and walked out to talk to find her doctor.


He found him and brought him back in. He ended up explaining he expected this to happen. He didn’t confirm it to Jiho the night before since Myunghee hadn’t been awake long enough to ask her questions. It was explained there was no knowing when she would get it back.

“What’s the last thing you remember?” Jiho asked.

“To be honest, I don’t know anything. I can’t think of anything.” She shook her head.

“At all? Your parents? Your boyfriend? Your friend? A dog, maybe?” Jiho’s only response was another head shake.

“Are you anyone of those?” Myunghee asked. “Well... You can’t be my dad. you’re not a dog either.”

“I’m your friend, Myunghee. My name is Jiho. Woo Jiho.” He held his hand out and smiled at her. She shook his hand and smiled.

“You seem very sweet. I’m kind of disappoint you didn’t say boyfriend” She laughed. They then turned their attention to the doctor who was clearing his throat.

“Myunghee, you’ll be kept in the hospital for 24 hours. If you remain stable, you will be released. However, you cannot be on your own. You have to live with someone.” The Doctor began to flip through her charts. “Do your parents live near?”

“I don’t know.” She answered honestly. Jiho stepped in.

“Her parents live an hour away. They don’t visit often. I don’t think that’s a viable option at the moment. I don’t even know if they know she was in an accident.” Jio shrugged.

“You mentioned boyfriend, does she have one? Can she stay with him?” He shook his head in response again.

“That’s not the best option” Myunghee looked at him.

“I have a boyfriend?” Jiho nodded and her and then shook his head and looked back at the doctor.

“Anything to resolve this?” Jiho scratched the back of his head.

“I could help out.” He looked over at Myunghee. “ I mean it’s like a permanent thing, right? Long enough to make sure she can function?” The doctor nodded.

“Also, she needs help with trying to jog her memory. You know he well enough to help right?” Jiho shrugged and nodded slightly. “She needs to be exposed to things she knows to try and get the memories in action. There’s no guarantee it will come back - but no harm in trying.”

“I think I can manage that.” The door handle turned and they all looked to see who was coming in. It was Jeon Chul-Soo. He rushed over to the bedside and went to kiss Myunghee.

“Excuse me?” She turned her head to the side, letting him kiss her cheek. “Who are you? My dad? I guess someone did inform my parents.” Jiho stifled a laugh.

“Mwo?” Chul-Soo looked up to Jiho and then to the doctor.

“Myunghee is experience loss of memory.” The doctor explained to him everything he already had.

“Yeah. I don’t know you.” Myunghee grabbed Jiho’s arm and scooted towards him.

“Jiho, may I speak to you outside?” Jiho nodded and exited reluctantly to talk with his boss.

“You’re going to take care of her? Get her memory back?” Jiho nodded. “Okay - because this doesn’t fly. I would do it but you know our situation. Just... Fix it. Tell her I care about her. I’m leaving. I can’t deal with this at the moment.” Chul-Soo walked over without even a goodbye.

It was settled. When Myunghee was released she would be living with Zico to help her get back to where she need to be. It was going to be her and him. No Chul-Soo.