I can be me

The Best Way to Love is to Forget

Jiho was sitting out at his desk taking care of some personal things. He was taking a break in between tasks given by Mr. Jeon. It was a rare opportunity, so he took as much advantage of it as he could. His phone rang. He looked at the number. His break time was interrupted. He wondered if he was getting called to do actual work or if he had to tend to the mistress.

“Yes, sir?” He answered politely.

“Come in here, Jiho.” Chul-Soo hung up the phone. Jiho closed his notebook and headed into Mr. Jeon’s office. When he entered, MyungHee was there. Jiho smiled at her.

“Jiho, are you doing anything tonight?” Jiho went to answer. “Whatever it is, cancel it. If you remember we’re having that company party tonight, right?” Mr. Jeon didn’t even bother to look up from his desk. He was looking at his planner. He was trying to find time for MyungHee.

“I remember, sir. You said it wasn’t mandatory to attend.” Jiho had plans that night. He was going to go to a mic battle that night. It didn’t matter at that point. Once Mr. Jeon told him he had to do something, there was really not other choice.

“Well it wasn’t. I want MyungHee to come tonight though. I mentioned it to her, she wants to come. I need you to bring her since my wife thinks she’s your girlfriend, it won’t be strange if she comes with you.” Chul-Soo was flipping back and forth between two different page. He directed his talk to MyungHee. “How about in two weeks? You want to go out of town then? I can make up a business trip.” MyungHee nodded her head and then turned to Jiho.

“Jiho, you don’t have to go if you don’t want to. It was misunderstanding between me and Chul.” She glared at him. He wasn’t supposed to mention the party to MyungHee. She usually got to go to work parties with him. His wife ended up getting to go this once. Chul accidentally mentioned it in front of MyungHee and he was now trying to fix things.

“No. If you want to go. I don’t mind going. I mean what I was going to do - that happens every week. So it’s fine.” Jiho smiled at MyungHee.

“Okay. That’s great. Why don’t you go ahead and take the rest of the day off? MyungHee, do you need to go get anything for tonight.” MyungHee shook her head. “Are you sure?” She nodded to confirm what she had previously done. “Why don’t you just go get something anyways?”

“If you’re forcing me, why not?” MyungHee turned to face away from him and rolled his eyes. Sometimes he didn’t act like a boyfriend. More like a dad. Jiho had begin to exit. He could tell he had served his purpose. MyungHee walked out behind him.

“Why don’t you just tell him no sometimes?” MyungHee walked up behind Jiho and tried to rest her chin on his shoulder. It was useless, he was so much taller than her.

“Because he’s a and if I, in the slightest, go against what he wants, he threatens to let me go.” Jiho smiled with annoyance.

“You’re just forced to spend time with me?” MyungHee pouted. Jiho shook his head and gave her a genuine smile

“You’re not what he forces me to do. I’d hang out with you no matter what. I’d just rather hang out with you at the club tonight instead of coming back to this office to rub elbows and mingle with these douchebags. At least during the day, he’s the only I have to deal with. Why is it you think you love him again?” Jiho shoved his notebook and anything else he thought he would need into his bag.

“I don’t think I love him. I know I do, Jiho. Let up on it.” MyungHee linked her arm with Jiho’s. “ I know you don’t like him. But just think. If you didn’t work for him and if he never forced you to meet me, where would we be then?”

“I would hope I would have already debuted. But no, here I was walking arm in arm with a girl who is dating my married boss and totally prevents me from dating.” He stuck his tongue out at her in a teasing manner. She punched his arm barely.

“I’m not really a bother, am I?” Even though MyungHee always seemed pretty strong she was a little self conscious.There were plenty of times Jiho had to tell her that she didn’t annoy him. She wasn’t a burden. He really considered her a friend. She just didn’t want him to hate her. Jiho took his arm from her and put it around her shoulders.

“You’re not a bother MyungHee. If it weren’t for you, all I would do is stay cooped up in my apartment with my writings.” he patted his bag to signal he was talking about his lyrics. She nodded. “So where are we going since you’re being forced to spend money on clothes like nothing?”

“I don’t care. I’ll spend the money on something else. I have so many damned clothes in my tiny apartment.”




---------------




Jiho and MyungHee arrived at the party later than everyone else. MyungHee spotted Chul-Soo with his wife as soon as she walked in. She unintentionally gave her a dirty look,

“MyungHee, chill. You’re acting as if she actually knows” Jiho put an arm around her shoulders and gave her a side hug. MyungHee crossed her arms.

“I bet you she does. I bet you she just does it to piss me off too!” MyungHee walked over to the table with the food on it. She was going to eat and be pissed.

“I bet she doesn’t. Aren’t you the one who wanted to come here even though you knew she was giong to be here?” Jiho followed behind her.

“Yes.” MyungHee went straight for the alcohol. If she was going to endure seeing her man with someone else, she was going to do it piss drunk. “He hasn’t even come and said hi to us.”

“He’s like the highest position. He’s got to go around to everyone.” Jiho was filling his plate up with food.

“I don’t care. I him. I’m top priority.” MyungHee downed her drink.

“Oh yeah, what’s he going to do? Turn to his wife and say ‘Hey babe, I’m going to go talk to my hole’” MyungHee turned to him and gave him the stink eye for calling her a hole. “Sorry. I didn’t say it, he did.” He shoved some cheese in his mouth and looked towards Chul-Soo and his wife. They were making their way to them. Mrs. Jeon was holding on to Chul-Soo’s arm like her life depended on it. It was as though she were showing off to everyone what she got and how they should be jealous. Most people ignored it. MyungHee did not ignore it as well though. Jiho reached down and squeezed her hand. MyungHee squeezed back and looked at him. He mouthed it would be fine.

“Jiho! I’m glad you could make it and you brought MyungHee! Sweetheart, you remember MyungHee, right?” Chul-Soo asked his wife.

“We’ve met like once before right?” She held her hand out in a prissy ‘why be bothered’ manner to greet MyungHee.

“Sorry, my hands are full.” MyungHee held up both of her hands, one was occupied by her drink and the other Jiho’s hand. Jiho let go of her hand. She looked at him disapprovingly. She shook Mrs. Jeon’s hand hardly. She then crossed her arm over herself and rested her elbow on herself and held her drink up to .

“Pleasure. I’m sure.” They stood in silence for a moment. It was very awkward. Jiho was wondering why they were even there. What pleasure did Chul-Soo get out of having his wife and girlfriend there? Jiho kind of hated him. He was his boss though and he wanted to make a good impression. Plus, he was too far gone to not mix personal and professional life.

“I’m going to the bathroom.” MyungHee didn’t want to be near the couple any longer. Jiho just sat there and smiled.

“Jiho, why do you date that girl? She’s very rude and she dressed like a . I don’t mean to be rude. I just don’t see what you want to do with a girl like that." Mrs. Jeon said matter of factly.

“Sweetheart, I’m going to step aside if you’d like to continue talking to Jiho about his life decisions.” Chul-Soo kissed his wife's cheek and stepped away. She nodded and turned back to Jiho. Jiho was just looking at her and thinking to himself. Who did she think she was to lecture him about who he dated? Who was she to call MyungHee a without even beating around the bush. She probably kind of was, but it’s not like she slept with a lot of guys, just one married one. Jiho thought she looked very nice at the party, sure she was showing a little more skin then the other women, but MyungHee was probably also the youngest girl there.

“I just I see you like the son I wish I had. I don’t want to see you get messed up with anyone who will bring you do.” Mrs. Jeon touched Jiho’s cheek as though she were just done yelling at her child and was ending it with a reconciliation. Jiho nodded.

“Yes, ma’am. I understand your concern. MyungHee’s really not that bad of a person.” Except for sleeping with your husband, he thought to himself. “She’s just comfortable with her body. Aren’t you?”

“I am.” She nodded her head. “But I don’t feel the need to share it with everyone.” She smiled ever so sweetly. As if she honestly felt what she was saying was not rude at all. Jiho had to sit there for the next thirty minutes listening to Chul-Soo’s wife bad mouth MyungHee. He just responded in the backhanded manner of the lady he was speaking with.

-----------------------------------------


“MyungHee, you’ve got to control yourself.” Chul-Soo wrapped his arms around the younger female in front him. He bent down to reach her lips and kissed her.

“How can I be calm? She’s so rude to me for no reason! She’s just jealous. She wishes she didn’t have to spend your money to just keep up with someone like me!” She pushed his arms off herself. She turned away from him.

“MyungHee.” He pulled her into his arms again. “Don’t think about it. You’re the one that I really want. You know why I have to stay with her.”

“I know. I know. You want to stay together until your kids are out. But you’re son’s 17 and you’re daughter is 15. that’s at least three more years I have to wait. I’m getting antsy, Chul.” He placed and finger over her lips.


“Shhh. It’ll go by faster than you realize. You’ll still have me. Don’t think about it. Just think about our get away in a few weeks. You’ll have me. You can wake up with me. You can go to bed with me. You don’t have to worry about her.” He kissed her over his finger. He slowly moved his hand to her cheek. His other hand began to trail up her thigh, lightly lifting her already short skirt. She pushed his hand away and broke the kiss.

“I maybe with you while you’re married, but I’m not going to you with her in the next room.”

“She won’t know, MyungHee. She’s out there talking to Jiho and probably rubbing stuff in people’s nose. She thinks she better than everyone because of me. She won’t even notice that we are gone long.” He kissed her again. “You know you want to as well.” He placed his hands on her thighs again and began to raise her skirt. He cupped the bottom of her and pushed himself against her.

“How can I say no to that? You know the exact words to get into a girls pants.” She said sarcastically but kissed him and proceeded anyways. She pulled away again. “Chul... I need you to leave her. I’m don’t want to be the side chick anymore.” Chul-Soo rested his forehead on her shoulder and put his hands on her hips.

“MyungHee. I don’t want to have this conversation at the moment.”

“You never want to have this conversation.” MyungHee lifted her shoulder to tell Chul-Soo to look at her.

“MyungHee. I’m not leaving her any time soon. Now can we just have and then go back out there?” Chul-Soo looked her in the eyes.

“Are you serious? Am I only here for ? You tell me you love me but all you care about is ing me and telling me you’re not leaving her...” MyungHee pushed him off of her.

“What are you going to do now? Tell me you’re going to leave me if I don't? MyungHee, what other guy is going to want you?” MyungHee looked down. Chul-Soo knew how to make her change her mind. She wasn’t confident in herself. She didn’t think she could actually get another guy. She just liked to play like she could. “You’re not exactly a lady. You’re sleeping with a married man. That will weigh on your mind and it will make you feel dirty. No man is going to want that. Just wait the three damned years.”

MyungHee just stood there and didn’t say anything. She had her back to Chul-Soo. She felt him snake his arms around her. He kissed her shoulder and then the side of her head.

“I hate to be brash, but you’re the one who said that first. I’m just reminding you.” MyungHee turned around and looked at him. “Are we on the same page now?” She nodded and walked out of the room.

 


--------------------------------------------------------

 

 

“MyungHee, are you ready to go?” Jiho asked as he sat beside her and put a hand on her shoulder. She just kept drinking after she had her conversation with Chul-Soo. She didn’t tell Jiho about it.

“I’m not ready. I need to find his wife.” She stood up and stumbled to the table.

“You don’t need to find her. You need to go to home” Jiho stood up and put his arms around her to stabilize her. MyungHee shook her head as hard as she could.

“I need to find her and tell her to stay away from my man.” MyungHee shook from side to side as if she was trying to escape, but she put no effort into it. Jiho just squeezed her to hug her,

“I’m taking you home.”

“Okay.” MyungHee rested her head into Jiho’s chest as he helped her exit.




Jiho had gotten MyungHee to open up her apartment. She walked in her and sat her on the couch.

“Do you need me to do anything for you before I leave? I’m going to stay a while until you sober up.” He patted her cheek. She wasn’t too drunk, she’d be fine shortly. She just lets the alcohol take her away quickly. She can’t handle a lot.

“I need you to stay tonight.” She put her arms around him. “I don’t want to be alone.” Jiho gently pulled himself out her arms.

“I’ll stay if you really want me too.” She nodded and stood up. She stumble into her doorway.

“Do you need my help, Myung?” She shook her head and fell to the side. Jiho got up and helped me to get her bed. She started stripping off all her clothes until she was just in her bra and underwear.

“Why do I do it, Jiho?” He shrugged and he rummaged through her drawers to find her something to wear. He tossed her a oversized shirt.

“I’m not sure. I ask you that all the time. You only question it when you’re slightly trashed.” Jiho headed to the doorway. “I’m going to get you some water. Do you need anything else?” MyungHee shook her head. Jiho was familiar with the place. On occasion, he and MyungHee did hang out outside of just cover for Chul-Soo. They were truly friends. He hates seeing her like this. It wasn’t the first time. Anytime she got drunk, she wanted to confront Mrs. Jeon. Jiho never let her near her phone or near Mrs. Jeon when she got this way. The only different tonight is that she actually asked Jiho to stay. He didn’t mind doing it. He returned with the water for her. She took it gladly and sipped.

“Thank you.” She said into the glass.

“It’s no problem. I’m bout to go crash on the sofa.” Jiho grabbed a pillow off her bed and a blanket from the foot of her.

“Sleep in here with me. It’ll be like a slumber party.” She smiled at him.

“One, I’m not 12. Two, I’m not a chick.” He turned and headed for the door.

“Just sleep in here with me.” She pulled him down. “I want to talk.”

“Fine.” Jiho crawled into the bed beside her. He used the cover he had gotten from the foot. She didn’t say anything at first. They just laid there in silence. It was awkward at first for Jiho. He thought she had fallen asleep. “MyungHee?”

“Jiho. I don’t know how much longer I can do this.” MyungHee kept looking to the ceiling.

“Then end it.” He looked at her.

“ I can’t. He’s such a jerk sometimes. However, when we’re alone, he’s almost the sweetest person I know” She turned to face him.

“Almost?” He tilted his head. She nodded.

“You’re the sweetest. I’m bout to pull a move.” Her talking was slowing down.

“What are you going to do?”

“I’m going to say... Why can’t he be like you?” Jiho laughed lightly. He looked up towards the ceiling,

“You know, MyungHee... I’m like me. If you left him... I could be exactly like me.” He looked at her again. She had fallen asleep. Jiho just leaned over and kissed her head. He would talk to her about it another time.