Results

Beyond Infinity Writing Contest [Ended]

 

List of Winners for Beyond Infinity Writing Contest ∞

 

I believe all contestants have been anxiously waiting for the list of winners to be posted up.
Without further ado, allow me to announce to you the winners of 2012 Beyond Infinity Writing Contest…

 

In 1st Place:

∞ Saving a Smile by genieforyou14

Throughout this entire story, I read it with a heavy heart. I would say that the characterization of Dongwoo here is near perfect. It is as if this really did happen in reality. You made Dongwoo no longer just an idol but a real character in your story.
She noticed a wide and ever-ready smile that wasn’t proper.

That would be my summary to your story. I am absolutely amazed at how you carried this idea so well with a smooth flow. There is no need for heart-fluttering scenes between the two, and their relationship is enough to tug at one’s heartstrings. At the hospital, the emotions are so real for both Dongwoo and her sister. You have used three words to make an impactful ending.
So now, I will gift you three words too:
Congratulations, my champion.

 

In 2nd place:

No Church in the Wild by AutumnHearts

To be honest, the foreword itself drew me in the moment I read it. This entry made me feel like I had entered the realms of the supernatural. All the scenes, especially the battle with the strigois, seemed to come alive as I read the story. I held my breath when Suzy was ready to sacrifice herself, but the next instant, a smile broke out on my face seeing their strong bond.  Alright, I shan’t say any further lest I spoil this brilliantly-written story for the others who may be interested to read. All in all, I really love this story, and it makes a must-read masterpiece.

 

In 3rd Place:

Amphibios by ErisChaotica

I would say that this story is an intriguing read with everything set in a magical fantasy setting. It’s not the usual fairytale twist with a typical demure princess and ever so charming prince falling in love. Sungyeol as a chatty frog, somehow, I can imagine it. I like how you bring out the point of a view of a human trapped in a frog, something the old fairytale neglected. The progress of the main characters is well-paced, and I love how they slowly became closer. The expected kiss from the start turned out to be an unexpected one for me. Following that, the teasing scene after the transformation was really cute. As a whole, I truly enjoyed reading the characters’ interactions and all.

 

Special Mention #1:

Living Art by huskylover200

When I first read this entry’s foreword, I thought the love line would be between Woohyun and the sculpture. However, it turned out to be a surprise, a pleasant one. Living art is an interesting concept which I believe you have pulled off really well. I absolutely love how the statues did not miraculously know how to speak, act and turn human-like overnight. The given prompt was weaved into the story perfectly. When Hoya doesn’t talk, he doesn’t, but when he does, every single word he said made my heart flutter. I enjoyed every bit of the story till the end. The sweet ending successfully brought an idiotic smile to my face. All in all, this is a story definitely worth to be mentioned.

 

Special Mention #2:

Almost Love by kissychuu

The foreword had attracted me simply with one word- Almost. As a whole, the setting is very different from the usual stories. Reading your story is like watching a movie in an ancient setting.  You delivered Soojin’s emotions- how she hated to be trapped within the four walls of the temple- really well. Their childhood moments were really sweet and enjoyable to read. The ending scene is also well-potrayed and unexpected. Although it’s a pity for the two, I love how Hoya let her go while the marble in his pocket. This story actually had a haunting after-effect on me as the final scene had replayed in my mind a few times after I was done judging this one.

 

Special Mention #3:

I know that I have mentioned before about having only 2 special mentions. However, there is this one entry that I feel which deserves to be honoured, too. This entry is quite close to making its way to the top 7. Allow me to present to you the third and final special mention for ‘Beyond Infinity Writing Contest’:
The Day She Let Down Her Hair by modeofevasion

This is probably one of the shortest entries submitted. However, a great deal of emotions had been brilliantly delivered with the scenes recalled from their meeting. I like how bits and pieces of memories struck Woohyun as he studied her from head to toe. I felt strongly when Woohyun did not bother about Chorong when they were dating. The ending did justice for her, and I would say it is an impactful one. Frankly speaking, I am not a person who favours short one-shots because often but not always, they would fail to deliver the emotions fully. However, you have proven me wrong with your entry. 

 

 

 

Top 7

 

1. Saving a Smile by genieforyou14

2. No Church in the Wild by AutumnHearts

3. Amphibios by ErisChaotica

4. Almost Love by kissychuu; Living Art by huskylover200

-Both stories have claimed the 4th position and also, the special mentions. They are both unique in their own ways and thus, the mention. 
 

5. The Notebook by myungbaekisses

This story is beautifully written with the pain of one-sided love well depicted from the start to the end in an empty notebook. I would say this story is very well-described for it seemingly made some scenes flash before my eyes as I read it. This is especially so for their first meeting, the confession and also, the ending. I could still remember how my heart froze with hers when she said ‘I like you’ to Myungsoo. My favourite scene from the story would be when she braced herself to say ‘I hate you’ to him but it all boiled down to nothing when she stood before him again. That’s love, isn’t it? No matter how hard one try, the one who loved first would lose and end up getting hurt again.

 

6. Minutes and Seconds by eseech

This is definitely one unique work I have read from this contest. Initially, I was kind of confused by Sungyeol’s attitude towards Myungsoo. However, as more and more things unfolded along the story, everything came to light. The emotions merely got heavier and heavier down the road. I feel that the description of Sungyeol’s emotions after the scene at the café is really the best. Also, the call he made to Suzy as he poured his heart out managed to squeeze my heart and made me feel sad with him. Great relevance to the chosen prompt and good choice of title, I would say. Not forgetting, I love the ending so much. It’s really impactful and has successfully tugged at my heartstrings once more.

 

7. Echoes of Eternity by royalblueblood

From scene to scene, you managed to show their growing phase and make readers develop a form of attachment towards the characters. One of the most memorable scenes for me would be when young Myungsoo forced Yoona to try the weird remedies. Innocent as a child, he wanted to cure her. That made me feel sad and amused at the same time. I could remember how she tricked him into kissing her, too. It was a squeal-worthy scene that was just too cute. However, leveraging on the same concept, you planned her death. I feel that it is a cruel but yet smart move to make readers have a drastic change of mood. “A rainbow before the rain”, I loved how you allowed Myungsoo to have such a premonition before the real thing occurred. Finally, an open ending up to one’s imagination is an intriguing way to keep the readers thinking.   

 

 

My Last Words:

Pardon me for my inability to express myself properly for the above entries. I am not a reviewer, but I have tried my best to justify the chosen winners. To the rest who are not listed, please do not be disheartened. I would say every single piece of work submitted has their own plus points, and do bear in mind that these winners are chosen based on my own judgment. More importantly, I hope you had fun joining this contest and would keep your writing spirit going. Congratulations to all the winners, and I would start contacting you guys now. Thank you to everyone who have participated and submitted your masterpieces to me. It has been an enjoyable experience hosting this contest.
Thank you and have a wonderful day ahead!