Kyung-mi? Who's That?

And So We Go (From the Sidelines)

Good afternoon everyone. This is your captain speaking. It is currently noon of Saturday, December the first. We are just about to touch down at Los Angeles international airport. Please wait until the plane comes to a complete stop before exiting. Thank you for choosing American Airlines and we hope you enjoy your stay.

Kyung-mi rubbed her eyes, tired from the plane trip. She looked out the window. She smiled when she saw the city where she grew up.

I’m home.

The plane skidded to a halt and immediately all the passengers on the plane began to unbuckle their seatbelts and retrieve their belongings. Kyung-mi, or Erin now, followed suit. From there, Erin left the plane through the walkway, quickly found her luggage at the carousels, and exited the airport.

She looked around feverishly for her parents. She had called them and they knew she was coming, but she didn’t see them.

Ugh.

Erin took out her slightly dented cell phone and dialed a number she knew so well.

“Mom? Hello? Where are you?”

“Kyung- Erin! I’m sorry, but your father and I are stuck in traffic. There’s no way its going to budge. You’ll have to take a taxi.”

“Oh. Okay, I’ll see you soon mom. Tell dad I love him. Yep… okay, bye.” Kyung-mi sighed and pulled her luggage to where hoards of taxis were waiting to make some money. She found one and was soon driving through the streets of L.A.

That was the café I used to eat at all the time… their scones were delicious! Oh, there’s where I took my first ballet lessons…

She found herself standing in front of her family’s three bedroom apartment and knocked.

The door burst open and the Walters, together again, had one big family hug.

“Oh I missed you sweetie…” Mrs. Walters said, her daughter’s hair. “Those four months you were gone was torture!”

“Not for me – I had free reign of all the candy!” Mr. Walters joked, patting his stomach appreciatively.

“It sure doesn’t look like it dad, to be honest it looks like you’ve lost some weight!”

Her father laughed. “I’ve been working out.”

“Come on, let’s get you unpacked.”

Erin grinned, handing her bags to her mother. It feels good to be back. But only ninety-nine percent of her thought that, but that one percent still looked back at her memories in Seoul.

Don’t think about it anymore. You’re here now, it’s a fresh start. Korea is now a thing of the past.

======================================================================================================================

The next few days Erin spent re-adjusting back to her old life in L.A. She was tired most of the time from the jetlag, but still managed to pay a visit to some of her close friends, at her favourite café.

“So…” her friend Cindy started. She was tall, brunette, and had stunning blue eyes. “Rachel and I have been wondering,” Kyung-mi’s friends exchanged sly looks. “Tell us everything about Kevin! Are you still together? What about Eli-”

Erin looked away. “I don’t really wanna talk about it…”

The girl named Rachel rolled her eyes as she pushed a lock of her messy black hair out of her eyes. “How many times have you told us that Erin? And how many times have you succumbed to our reasoning?”

Erin stifled a laugh, remembering old times. “Every time… well fine.”

The girls squealed and leaned forward anxiously.

“Well… unfortunately… I broke things off with Kevin.”

Rachel and Cindy exchanged looks. “But you two were so good together! We saw the couple picture you sent to us!”

Erin bit her lip. “Things had changed. Seoul is where he belongs, and L.A is mine. I think going to Seoul was a mistake,” she admitted.

Rachel smiled sadly. “Look, we’re sorry to hear that… but at least it’s another memory, another lesson you can store in that thick head of yours!”

“Yeah…”

“Look, Kyung-mi, I’ve got some news that will raise your spirits!” Cindy exclaimed, clearly excited. “My uncle is opening a ballet studio.”

“You mean the uncle with the funny mustache? Or-”

“Mustache man!” Rachel yelped.

Cindy rolled her eyes. “No, not him. Anyway, he’s opening it up, and he’s been looking for instructors. You should definitely apply!”

Erin grinned. “That sounds like fun!”

Cindy smiled mischievously. “Good because you start work tomorrow.” She checked her sculpted fingernails innocently. “I took the liberty of recommending you to my uncle, and he’s willing to give it a shot.”

The three girls high-fived. “What did I do to get such amazing friends?” Erin giggled.

======================================================================================================================

“You’re Erin right? The name is Leo and I’m twenty two years old.” They shook hands. Leo looked young enough to be Cindy’s older brother. They had the same blue eyes and tall stature.

Also the same sense of fashion, she mused, taking in Leo’s light khakis and plaid shirt.

“Are you sure you’re her uncle?” Erin teased lightly. “The name is Erin Walters. Twenty.”

Leo laughed. “Yeah, I get that a lot – the uncle thing. Anyway…” he unlocked a door, revealing a beautiful dance studio with a view of the street. “This is your room.” He offered her the key. “You’ll be teaching two different classes for now.” He gave her some teaching notes. “You’ll start with beginner ballet, with the 7-10 year olds and then experienced ballet, the next level up from that. I’ll be across the room, teaching the advanced class and performance level students.”

He was about to leave when he smacked himself lightly on the head. He turned around and grinned sheepishly at Erin, who blushed at the showing of his bright smile. “Forgot to tell you something. Your first class starts in…” he checked the clock, which displayed 10:15am. “About fifteen minutes. It ends at twelve, then you’ll have an hour to eat, but then the next class will start at 1 and run until three thirty.”

Erin nodded – she was eager to start. “Thank you Leo.”

Leo beamed. “I’ve seen some of your competitions Erin – Grace Dance Studios will be glad to have you.” He left.

(A/N: Couldn’t think of a better name. Please forgive me ><”)

Erin giggled excitedly, placing her bag down onto a small coffee table. It felt good to be back on her feet. She’d have to be careful though, the physiotherapist said she’d have to make sure she stretched completely before doing any dancing and not to push it too far.

She glanced at the sheets of teaching plans Leo gave her.

Day 1 (Beginner Class):

 

-introductions/general rules

-basic stretching

-five basic ballet positions

 

That seems easy enough. I just hope the kids will listen to me! Erin had always enjoyed taking care of younger children. This seems like the dream job I was meant to have.

Then again, working in Seoul seemed like that too.

Damn! What are you talking about? Your place is here. Forget about Seoul.

Forget about Kevin.

=========================================================================================================================

“And that girls, is the fifth position. Now everyone try it. I’ll be going around, checking your stance.”

The children nodded fidgeting with their little pink tutus. They giggled as they tried to replicate Erin’s posture.

The new dance teacher walked around, complimenting here, correcting there. For the most part, the class was cooperative and received instructions well. It was a little noisy, but that was a given in Erin’s eyes.

Erin clapped her hands. “Well done everyone.” She looked at her watch. “Alright, class over. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Bye Miss Erin!” The class chorused as their moms streamed into the room to pick up their younglings.

The teacher watched happily as parents and students alike began to file out of the room.

Time to get some lunch. I’m starving. She slipped on her converse and headed out the door.

She was about to leave when she saw Leo’s studio open. Her curious sense overrode her and she took a peek. She gasped when looked inside.

He was dancing to DoraDora by U-KISS, their comeback song. The timing of the moves was spot on, even though he didn’t have six other members beside him.

Leo turned around. “Oh, hi Erin… you saw that, eh?”

“Y-yeah…” she laughed. “Are you a KPOP fan?”

“Kiss-me’s for life~” he said cutely, making a heart with his hands. Erin laughed at the sudden show of aeygo.

So… he likes U-KISS…

“They’re great,” he said sheepishly. “I wish I could meet them one day. Hey, you’ve been to Seoul, right?”

Erin nodded slowly. “Yeah… for four months.”

“Did you by chance see them?” Leo asked excitedly.

Erin bit her lip, debating if she should lie. Kyung-mi didn’t exist anymore afterall…

But she decided to tell the truth.

“Yeah… I actually was signed to NH as a trainee dancer.”

“WHAT?! No way!” Leo said. “You’re making me so jealous right now.” He grinned. “Were they nice? Did they sing for you? How did they sound? Did you perform in a co-”

“Actually… like I said, I only stayed for four months.”

“Oh. Why’d you leave?” Leo asked, curious. He gave her cute puppy eyes, as if he could slowly tease the answer out of her.

God… he reminds me so much of Kevin. The same innocence, the pleading... she thought absentmindedly.

“P…p-personal reasons,” she said vaguely.

Ke- no sorry, Leo, shrugged, knowing she didn’t want to elaborate any further. “Wanna go grab a bite to eat? It is your first day after all, so it’s on me.”

Kyung-mi doesn’t exist anymore, remember? So whatever happened between her and Kevin doesn’t matter. You’re not there anymore. Your name is Erin Walters. So why bother with the past?

“Sure,” she said, smiling.

================================================================================================================

HEY EVERYONE :)

I kept typing Kyung-mi by accident instead of Erin. It's been a weird transition!

Anyway, its another one of my long(ish) chappies, so proud T^T"

But I hope you guys enjoyed it!

Just giving you guys a quick heads up, I will not be updating from thursday to sunday (vacation :3 )

But the night before I'll try to update as much as I can.

Thanks for supporting everyone! Cya later!

-dayturnstonight.