Food

I still feel for you...

Saturday came. Baek Hee went out of the house early to buy some more stuffs for her eomma's store. AS her eomma was suddenly called by her sister due to an emergency, she ordered Baek Hee to man the store too. The Kirin High dance teacher couldn't argue. Of course, it was also her duty as owner of the store to take care of it. There wasn't much to look at though. But as people came and went, this made Baek Hee busy.

The last customer had left when Jin Gook arrived. He had been meaning to buy some spices for the kitchen. He wanted to surprise Baek Hee by cooking her lunch. Baek Hee received Jin Gook just like any other customer, yet she was still very angry at him. The lad went out of the store and headed home.

Lunch time came, and Baek Hee was already hungry. She wanted to close her store, but someone might arrive. She always remembered her eomma bring her lunch everyday, so that she can still man the store even during lunch time. Suddenly, Jin Gook arrived. He was bringing with him a plastic bag with something in it.

"Baek Hee-ya, let's have lunch."

Baek Hee looked at Jin Gook and at the thing he was holding. She was already very hungry she didn't have time to argue. Instead, she washed her hands and sat on the chair where the table was. Jin Gook took out the kitchenwares and placed a plate, spoon and chopsticks in front of Baek Hee, and he did the same for him. He opened the dishes. Baek Hee's eyes widened in amazement when she saw jaeyook bokum, gamjatang, kimchi fried rice and shi ramyun. Her eomma rarely cooked these meals, and Baek Hee savored the food in front of her. The soup was hot and spicy, and Baek Hee slurped her soup like there was no tomorrow.

"Do you like it?" Jin Gook smiled as he took a bite of his sweet and sour pork.

"Ne...gomawo...eomma rarely makes these, and I rarely get to eat in restaurants anymore."

Jin Gook smiled. If there was a way to bring back Baek Hee's trust in him, food was the answer.

"I cooked these myself."

"You should open a restaurant," Baek Hee said.

Jin Gook laughed. "I need to have a big capital for that."

"You're already rich."

"I am not." he smiled.

For the first time, Baek Hee smiled. Jin Gook noticed it and he smiled back at her.

"So, are we okay now? Are you not mad at me?"

Baek Hee just smiled and continued eating.

"You haven't answered my question, Baek Hee-ya. Come on. I'm so hurt right now."

"You sound so corny," Baek Hee said as she ate her kimchie fried rice.

"I'm serious. I just don't want us to part having bad feelings about each other."

"Ani. I'm not angry anymore. The food appeased my anger. But mind you that I'm still hurt with what you said the other day."

Because of this, Jin Gook did the unexpected: he reached out his hand towards Baek Hee and gave it a mild squeeze. The gal, meanwhile, looked at her hand and Jin Gook's, perplexed.

"Mianhe..mianhe..it was so insensitive of me. I shouldn't have said it like that. My anger overcame me and..I didn't know you were really taking it to heart."

"Gook-ah, whether you said it harshly or not does not change anything. You meant what you meant, and I'm taking every word that you said. But then, I guess I was over-reacting too. Mianhe. I should not have dissed you too. You were the only one person from my past I have now. Everyone else is gone." Baek Hee said as she sighed and looked at her food again. A stray tear fell from her cheek and she managed to wipe it.

"Baek hee-ya, I may not be the man for you. I may not even be the right one. But I'm still your friend. You can trust me. I saved your life once, remember? If ever someone else will hurt and harm you, you can always tell me."

Baek Hee smiled as she shook her head. "Easy for you to say. But after your vacation, you're leaving again. I cannot just trust someone nor take their word when it comes to taking care of me. I've been left behind many times. I can fend for myself, thank you very much."

Jin Gook remained silent. SUre, he made that stupid promise again. But Baek Hee was right. After two months, he'll be leaving. And he didn't know whether he'll be able to keep his promise or not.

"You're right. I'm sorry for ever bringing that up."

"It's all right. Gomawo. I was really full when I shouldn't have to be. The food was really good. I'm feeling sleepy already."

"Why don't you close the store? People are at lunch anyway."

"I don't think eomma closes this one during lucnh break. I think I'll just watch some TV series instead."