A Pleasant Surprise

I still feel for you...

Baek Hee was walking around Hong Dae that Sunday afternoon when someone tapped on her shoulder. She turned around to see Qri smiling at her. Boram, Hyomin, Soyeon and Jiyeon waved at her too.

"Annyeong hasaeyo," Baek Hee greeted the T-ara girls.

"Annyeong hasaeyo, Yoon-seonsaengnim." The girls greeted.

"What brings you here in Hong Dae?" Boram asked.

"I was just strolling around, window shopping. How about you girls?"

"Oh, just doing what you're doing too," Soyeon said.

Just then, Jiyeon beamed as she seemed to remember something.

"Ah! By the way, President Kim Kwang Soo wanted to see you Friday at two in the afternoon."

Baek Hee looked at the maknae and cocked her head. "Geurae? What for?"

"Molla. He said it was just important."

Baek Hee swallowed hard as she looked at something across the street. If it was a private meeting, Baek Hee feared that what happened in the past will occur again. But she decided to give it a try. It might be an opportunity for her.

"Arrasseo. I'll go. See you some other time."

***

President Kim handed Baek Hee a folder.

"I didn't need you to undergo any audition. You had previous exposure when you were still in Kirin, and you don't need to prove anything. WHat I wanted you to do is read the contract thoroughly. I was planning to add two more members in T-ara, and you were one of the candidates I had in mind. The other is Ryu Hwa Young."

Upon hearing about this opportunity, Baek Hee smiled as she looked up the CCM's CEO.

"J..jeongmal? Gamsahamnida, Mr Kim!"

"And I have to change your name too. Your screen name will be Ham Eun Jung. Jiyeon and the other girls had tried acting, and I'm also planning to have you star in some TV series. If you can prove to me that you can act well, I'll have you star in movies too."

Baek Hee blinked. Ham Eun Jung. It was a nice name.

"But sir, how will I tell my school about it?"

"You mustn't disclose this information, though. Just submit a resignation letter to Ms Kang, and that's it. Don't even tell your eomma that you're going to be part of T-ara. The girls will be having their concert in the States in two months alongside Jin Gook and Akanishi Jin. So, with that time span, I want you to practice along with them. Practice hard so that you can keep up with them. I know you can do it. I have followed Group K's success way back then, and I'm sure people will love you again."

***

"What is this?" Kang Kyung Jin asked Baek Hee as the latter handed her resignation letter. The principal looked at her favorite ex-student, questions filling her eyes.

"I'm so sorry, Ms Kang. This is so short notice."

"Where are you going?"

"Another school in Busan had asked me if I wanted to join their staff. I'm so sorry. I'm very sorry. I know you have been very kind to me. Yet, I must go on with this decision," BAek Hee lied. She knew she cannot disclose what she and Mr Kim ahd discussed.

Kang-ssaem sighed. "Arrasseo. People always look for greener pastures. I'm about to resign myself too. A new principal, Mr. Joo Jung Wan, will take my place. He'll be replacing me three months from now."

***

The other teachers save for Jin Gook and Kang Oh Hyuk didn't know that Baek Hee was suddenly resigning. So two weeks after her resignation (and she no longer went to school), Jin Gook and Kang Kyung Jin announced to Baek Hee's class that Jin Gook was to be the part time dance teacher. PArt of his dilemma was that he was going to supervise the students for their showcase. As he had previous experience to this, he accepted it anyway. But when he had problems, he asked Kang Oh Hyuk for help.

Baek Hee, meanwhile, told her eomma that she'll be having a new teaching job in Busan.

"Aish, jinjja! What were you thinking?"

"Mianhe, eomma. I wanted to do this for myself."

"And what will become of me?"

Baek Hee remained silent. She continued to pack her things and began thinking how her eomma would live without her.

"Aren't you even going to answer my question?"

"Eomma, can you, at least, give me freedom? I'm not a child anymore. Please permit me to think and fend for myself."

Mrs Yoon was dumbfounded. Indeed, Baek Hee was no longer a child but a grown up woman. She had been throttling her daughter all those times she didn't even realize that her daughter was wanting to breathe.

"Arrasseo," was all Mrs Yoo could say as she left the room and banged the door.