Coffee Talk

Backbone

Coffee dates were something that Lee Yeojin was longer able to enjoy often.

So she was grateful for that last minute call from her old friend from university.
 
Across the table from her, the 24 year old musician sat with her one year old in his lap, playing happily with the young boy.
Yeoji picked up her coffee cup, and swallowed the plain, black coffee with contentment. Not often did she have such a rare moment of relaxation.
 
"So how are you and your husband?" Kyuhyun suddenly asked, even though she truly wished he hadn't.
 
"We're well." she answered, as she scooped her son out of her friend's arms, and back into his own little chair between the two of them.
 
Yeoji ped her purse, feeling around until she found the pastel blue sippy cup.
The little boy squealed in delight, as she popped the cap off and carefully handed it to him, "Don't spill, Jinhae-ah." she told him sternly.
Her friend laughed, reaching over to wipe the small dribble of apple juice from the boy's chin.
 
"This whole mother thing, suits you, Jinnie." he told her, offering her that striking eye smile of his.
 
Yeojin chuckled, "You think so?" she asked, as she placed her elbows on the table and watched her son happily sip away at his juice.
 
"Definitely." he replied, "I never would have expected it, coming from the wild art student I remember you as."
 
Yeojin looked down, with the smallest of smiles, "Time changes people."
 
Kyuhyun frowned, watching the woman turn her attention to the striped pattern of the tablecloth.
She was so different from how she'd been, he barely recognized her.
 
Sure, she still looked the same. With her strikingly beautiful face, and Long, shiny black tresses, and her welcoming chocolate irises.
But, it was the way she laughed, and spoke, and smiled, that had changed.
Kyuhyun couldn't help but feel as though her husband was to blame.
Ever since getting married, his good friend had changed. And he longed to have to outgoing, social butterfly, she'd once been, sitting in front of him again.
 
"Is that really all it is?" he questioned, keeping his gaze on her, despite she was looking everywhere, but at him. "Because that isn't what I've been hearing, Yeojin."
 
She looked up at him finally, and he could see the pleading in her eyes. Please stop asking all these questions.
 
"Oh? And, what have you heard?"
 
Cho Kyuhyun sighed, folding his hands in front of him, "Nothing, Siwon just mentioned that he thinks you two are having trouble with your marriage."
 
Lee Yeojin looked him in the eyes, "Based off of what exactly?"
 
Raising his hands in defense, Kyuhyun shrugged, "I don't know. He does work with the man, you know."
 
"Well, you don’t look like you have problems with your husband, right?” he was worried, of course, if not just curious. But, he also wanted what was best for her.
 
Yeojin bit back a laugh. She traced the line patterns as she tried to keep the conversation casual. The more she did so, the more the struggle became unbearable.
 
“It’s funny, because I think I’m the only problem, and it really kills me.”
 
Kyuhyun's eyebrows furrowed, so they were having problems.
Who would have known? When it came to her problems, Yeojin was a steal trap.
She never allowed anyone to see her struggling, even at her weakest.
 
"Do you fight?" he asked, as she began to clean up her son's face, and take the now empty sippy cup away from him.
 
She shook her head, "No."
Yeojin plucked the one year old out of his seat and pulled him into her lap, "He just.... He's distant. And, never really home."
 
The man frowned for probably the fiftieth time since they'd met today.
Sure, Donghae was now the President and CEO of his father's very successful business, but even so, he had plenty of time to see his family.
 
"I feel like we don't know each other anymore." she continued, "Although, our marriage was arranged, we always got along. And, he was happy when I got pregnant with Jinhae..." she trailed off, staring down at her coffee cup. "He's always kind to me, and very caring. And, he loves Jinhae-ah a lot. He just... isn't around very much."
 
Kyuhyun sighed, softening his look, and leaning over the table, "You know," he began, "It's not a lack of love, but a lack of friendship that makes unhappy marriages.”
 
Yeojin chuckled bitterly at that, smiling at him wearily, "Whenever did you get so wise, Cho Kyuhyun?"