My Prince. Taemin the Cat Prince.

Cat Prince

. The Cat Prince .

I'm not a princess, nor a cat. But I have someone that I call my cat prince.

He's someone I can always see from the window with blurry glass. And one day, for the sake of looking at him closely, I broke a small piece of that blurry glass then my father change into a clear one.

I know I was right, that he's just exactly like what I thought. He's just as cute as the small creature that follows him whenever he passed my house. Yes, a pure white kitty with a red ribbon clung to its neck.

I always wonder whether the kitty is his pet.

The kitty always followed him around. As my prince walked on the passerby, I can see from my window that the white furry ball walked behind him gracefully with her tiny little feet.

I wonder why.

-----

When I saw him for the first time, seems like his family just moved in town. I think I'm about 12 years old at that time.

It was in my favorite place. Near the lake, and there's a meadow I can see from under this tree I usually sit.

But as I opened my sketch book to begin to draw, something caught my eyes. Hey, I never knew that the meadow is filled by those beautiful fuschia flowers! How-

I stopped as I saw something.

I can see over there, a boy around my age. His blonde hair really stood out. Just earlier, he might be laying down, but now, he's sitting right there, between those pretty blooming flower and tall grass. And what is that he put on his left shoulder, is it a cat, a kitty?

But then he lifted a grey furry kitty too. He scrunched his nose as the tiny creature kissed it. Suddenly there's something jumping around behind hin and he began to turned his head to see those adorable kitten.

One, two,... Five kitten?? And he seems to enjoyed it so much.

As then he observes how that cute little animals play, I can hear laughter coming from him, echoing in the air before he spread his hand wide and threw himself again to lie down and hidden by those grass and flowers.

Me? I was still staring.

I swear, that laugh I just heard should be coming from the happiest people in the world.

I wonder, how could be he got loved by the kitten. Are those cute baby cats are just like me, who get mesmerized by him?

I think, is there an angel in this meadow? Ah, no. I shook my head. It couldn't be.

Then I know who he is. From that day on, that's how he became... My prince. My cat prince.

----

I rarely walk out from my house, but we met each other once when I was on the garden. It was a bright day of spring.

He looks ethereal to me; ah, I wonder where that word comes from. His silky blonde hair blew naturally by the afternoon wind, he seems so carefree wearing a plain white t-shirt, a pair of casual light blue trousers rolled up slightly above his ankle and a black suspender.

And just like that, my heart beats so fast as I suddenly saw him, I was petrified.

Even a tiny rainbow appears miraculously from the remaining water sprays as I showered the beautiful flowers in front of me. I don't even know which one is sparklier; the 7 colors illumination or him, my Cat Prince.

All I know is my eyes seems to confused me because as I blink, I saw he's smiling. At me? Is he smiling at me? No, I think he's smiling to the tiny kitty that sitting peacefully at his palm and staring at the master with its’ marble eyes.

And then as he passes the garden, all I can hear is he said, 'You know, Milky, I think today is going to be a good day,' before ended it with a gorgeous smile.

Then Milky the kitty just meowed as she stares her master who wrapped his hand slowly as if he wants to protect the kitty from any harm in the world.

Well, my Cat Prince, it's already been a great day for me. Although never been in my life that I want to be a tiny little cat you can hold close to where your heart is.

------

Today my parents leave the house, and I feel healthy enough to go to walk. Of course, I ended up at the lake, hoping that today, I can see him again,

I continue my sketch on the book. My drawing is almost done.

I took the yellow pencil, and start to colored my drawing. Hm, I wonder why the flowers on the meadow turn to yellow?

When I'm done, I teared the page carefully from the book and staring at it once again... But-

"No!!" I get up. It fly away, my drawing! No, no. Not the lake-

I was about to run with all the strength I have as someone pass me through, running from behind me. Because of the blonde hair, I knew right away that's him.

Oh no. What can I do? WHAT SHOULD I DO??

But before I can think, I saw all of it; he's running then jumping to the air without hesitation to catch the fly away paper. Is he now an angel too? My eyes fooled me again with a pair of tiny wings fluttered on his back I thought I see.

And then he turned around, with the paper in his right hand, and his left one is holding a straw hat. Today, he's wearing a light and casually white button shirt with a knee-length jeans.

I feel so shy as I just stared to the ground. I saw he's walking towards me as I can see there's a pair of sailor shoes stopped right in from me within that very second.

I only can imagine what he would say, but then something appears in my mind. What if he saw…

Until he speaks out, "This is me, right?"

I still fixed my stare to the ground but my eyes get bigger and bigger. He saw my drawing!!

"N-no." And the stupid me only can say that.

"Hm.. Really?" He said as I lifted my head a little bit to see him. "This is me, right, Milky?" Now he's talking with the kitty that has been in the pocket of his shirt

"And look, Milky-ah. That's you, right?" He asked again by showing the drawing to the baby cat. The kitty meaowed as if she understands what her master said.

"Here you go."

I was starlted as he squated right in front of me and giving out the paper. So I lifted my head slowly.

"T-thanks." I answered. He suddenly smiled. Oh no, is it because of my red burning cheeks? Or because my drawing is funny? But will he be angry I draw him without his permission-

"My name is Taemin. And this is Milky." He suddenly speaks to me as he pointed the kitty on his pocket.

I cannot believe this. My cat prince told me his name. I don't want to be rude that's why I lifted my head and then tell him my name really quickly.

And then he just said, "So... Can you teach me how to make a flower chain?"

"Eh?"

-------

Flower chain. He saw the chain made of flowers beside me. I made it just between the time I draw those pictures.

So as my prince's wish, I taught him how to make one. Or two.

Because you know what, one, is a small flower chain he then clung it to Milky's neck together with the ribbon, although it's too big and it loosen up as Milky the kitty walked off haughtily, ignoring the gift from her master, she was more interested to catch a butterfly that comes flying around

And two, is a flower chain he successfully made by himself without my help. Fuschia colored petals and emerald green leaves locked one to another by its thin branches created the prettiest flower chain I've ever seen.

The very first someone ever give to me. Yes, with the flower that used to surround him at the first time I saw him, my Cat Prince crowned me with his handmade tiara.

And I've never been this happier.

--------

That was years ago. The cat prince and I now has grown up.

Yes, we're stay the same. Me, still shy and I continue to paint, only now I often used canvas. Him, still surrounded by cats wherever he goes and of course his pet Milky, only now she's not a kitty anymore.

But no, I never tell him how much he meant to me.

Why? Because we're different. He's healthy and so carefree. Yet my body is weak and it means that my fate is forever bound to be here in this town in the middle of nowhere. Besides, just by the look, he looks like an expensive doll, while me.. Im more like an old doll with this white dress my mother gave me.

Right now, we spend the afternoon like usual. Not like my younger days, my parents allowed me to go out the whole day on good weather. Then Taemin would come to see me with Milky.

"No canvas for today?" He smiled at me when I turned around, heard steps on the ground approaching at me.

I shook my head, giving a slight smile as I closed my sketchbook. "Milky, come here." I called as I took out a bottle of milk and small paper bowl I brought for the kitty.

Taemin laughs to see that, as it something I always do for his pet. Then he kissed my cheek gratefully before he put his head on my lap to rest and close his eyes. I know it doesn't mean anything as those, are something he always do.

He seems to fall asleep as held the sketchbook up close to me as a continue to draw.

I looked at him, and I always thought he doesn't seem to change so much. His blonde hair. His happy-go-lucky self. Although now he's not just lean, he also was taller than me.

My cat prince, my only friend, now has become a young man.

Me? I sighed. I put down the color pencil, I closed the sketchbook. And I took out a mirror with small handle, yes it's the one that princesses usually have, it was my mother's as she gave it to me when I turned 17 two years ago.

I looked at my reflection. My pale skin. My long messy hair. Those girls in town probably using pretty things to colored their cheeks with pink tints, their lips with red blossoming hue. Besides, I don’t know how to match those pretty colors with my red hair.

So for me, the only coloring things I do, is all in my sketchbook.

Slowly, and secretly, I took out something from the small case I used to bring around that was like a treasure chest shape.

Then I carefully apply it to my lips as I looked up to the mirror. Do I look pretty with this light pink almost uncolored-

Suddenly Taemin moved and I think he's going to wake up. I cleaned the color using the back of my hand immediately but I think it's a little bit late.

He sits as he looked at me with his squinting sleepy eyes.

I laugh a little, seeing that a couple strands of hair sticking out. "Your hair." I commented.

Then he bowed his head a bit to ask me comb it with my hand. I fixed it as it done in no time, "There you go."

As he lifted his head, he said, "Something is different in you after I woke up from the sleep."

"H-huh?"

"But never mind, you're still the same pretty and fidgety you that I knew." He smiled.

I feel my cheeks are going to be red again as usual, yes, although we're friends, everytime I'm embarrased, it's still happened and I can't change.

Then he lay his head on my lap again and say, "Can you sing something for me?"

"Why?"

"Because I wish for it." He said, as if he knew that I wouldn't say no for this.

I try to sing with my voice and I noticed that he didn't close his eyes to sleep. In fact, he gets up, that's why I stopped to sing, before he says, "Sing."

I nodded slowly while I'm looking at him. He walked away and I wonder what he's going to do. Milky gets up and follow him from behind. The bells given by me hung on her neck with the red ribbon, rings whenever she walks. No, wait. I haven’t told you before that Milky is not a she, Taemin’s proud cat is a he.

A couple of minutes later, I found out what he planned to do.

"It's been a while, isn't it?" He smiled as he shown the flower he brought. He lifted both the tip of his shirt to be 'the basket'.

"I hope I still can make the chain." He said to me.

I smiled back, "Don't worry, you have me to help you."

But then he didn't do anything, he's just staring at me instead.

"W-what?"

"You know... I always wanted to do this." His hand reached out to my long hair.

I blinked nervously, as he grew closer. My heart beats so fast I can't even-

Then I realized what he wants to do. He actually bent the small branches of one flower and then chained it my hair.

"Eh?"

He laughs heartily, "Aside from the fact that I don't think I can make a flower chain anymore, I want to just put those flower on your hair."

Without asking my permission, or without saying anything, he continues what he started and when he showed my the mirror, I'm so surprised.

He put some flowers on my hair, he put it all randomly, but I don't know how, he does it beautifully.

Then he smiled sheepishly, "I know it's weird that a boy playing with flowers, it's just... Because it really suits you."

I looked up at him and he added, "Your red auburn hair caught my eyes since it's still this short," he tapped his own shoulder, reminded me on my hair when I'm still a young girl,"And now it became so long and wavy it suits you even more." As I look at my reflection.

"But I look.. Plain." I bowed my hair to hide my face. I can't look at him. His soft blonde hair looked so beautiful along with the orangey afternoon sky at the background.

I peeked and see that he tilted his head. "Plain as the paper of your sketchbook before you painted it with my pictures... Plain as pure as you pale skin that it's so white many girls have envied you. Plain... As you never know what I might have think about you. Is it what you mean of being plain?"

I lifted my head as I was startled at his words.

He looked at Milky as he said to his pet, "Milky, how about you, do you like the way she draws you in her sketchbook?"

Meowww.

Milky rubbed his head using his paw before he leans closer to me, asking me to pat him.

He knew. My cat prince knew that I draw him.

"Didn't you promise me not to even peek on my sketch? I said I don't want the others to see my paintings!" I said to him. I don't know why but I'm both feel upset and embarrased about this. It's like he's playing on me.

He frowned for a slight second, but then he's smiling nicely, "But I'm not 'the others', I helped you carrying your canvases too. I'm the one you paint, so why can't I look at it? Besides,... If you don't want me to see it, why you take it with you whenever we meet?"

I blinked severely as I felt like wanting to cry right now. Why did he said that? He wants to mock me-

"Don't you think... The wind might want me to see what's inside the book as it blew and opens pages to pages so I can't help but take a look on it when you fell asleep here under your trees?" He put his hand over my head, carefully, didn't want to ruin the flowers on my hair,"I'm sorry, it's not that I want to break my promise. In fact, I felt so thankful."

I was mesmerized by him, not that it's a new thing, and a smile formed on my lips even without I wanted it.

Then I sniffed but the tears didn't fall in the end. And it seems like ruined the atmosphere although it brought laughter to him.

"Cry baby." He did mock me, although this time I know he's joking.

I took Milky close to me and say, "At least Milky loves me no matter what. Well, although he doesn't love me as much he loves you." I back.

Taemin laughs as he lay on the grass, his arms behind his head like a pillow, he's stariing at the sky. It's getting dark soon.

Milky walked out from my arms and he reached out to his master before he curled up over my cat prince's stomach and just sleep peacefully.

"It's time for you to go home, isn't it? Your mother will be worried." Taemin said to me after a while.

I nodded as I put all my belongings inside the small treasure chest and then gets up. I patted the grass on the back of my long white dress and hear Taemin said, "Let's go.", carrying all my stuffs in his hand and Milky stood beside him.

In time like this, I feel as if I'm a princess. Well, at least for that short moment.

--------

My mother surprised to see me when I went home that day, she cannot believe that Taemin the boy who loves by the cat is the one who turns me into a flower princess just like that.

A couple of days later,

I didn't feel so well that's why I just sit on the swing chair in the garden.

Suddenly, I heard bells chimned.

"Oh, Milky?" I saw the white cat walked across and approaching into the fences.

"Where's your prince?" I asked. And of course, what I got is only, "Meow."

I laugh a bit but then, "Hey, I met you mother in town, she said you didn't go anywhere for today."

I saw Taemin leaned his elbow on the fences and waving at me. I waved back and told him to sit here with me.

"Yes, I had a fever last night." I answered as I let a heavy sigh slipped from my lips.

When I looked at him, he looks as healthy and well as usual. Today, as the wind is a bit breezy, he's wearing a white loose long sleeves sweater and mocha colored trousers.

"Aren't you feel cold?" He asked me.

I shook my head as I lifted the blanket covered my lap. "I have this."

Milky meowed and then Taemin twitched his lips. It seems that he remembered about something.

"Right." He said to himself before he looked at me, "Hey, can I ask you a favor?"

"Hm? What is it?" Anything for you, my Cat Prince.

I noticed that he had a bundle of papers then he handled it to me.

I opened it and see handwritten pictures.

"You know I was bad, no, my drawing is a mess." He stuck out his tongue, "But I have this story in mind, I just want to ask you to draw a short story book with pictures for me."

I frowned, "Why so sudden?"

"Because I just got this idea, and I realized I didn't have too much time."

"Eh?"

"Consider this is my birthday present then." He looked at me, more like using those innocent looking eyes to beg at me.

Well, your wish is my command, Cat Prince, but..

"Why the rush..?" I asked. I realized that he will turn 20 soon, as the adult often leaves to the city.. don't tell me.. "Are you planning to leave the town?"

He nodded. And that's it.

Drip.

I bowed my head and my vision was so blurry although I realized that a drop of tear fell on the first paper on my lap.

I know he noticed. And I don't care. I heard Milky meowed again. Then I also heard Taemin said to his beloved pet, "Yes, Milky. I know that our little princess' tear is falling. But I just hope that it would turn into a happy tear later."

I lifted my head surprisedly. What did he just call me?

What I see is his eye smile as he said, "Now tell me, if your eyes filled with water, how can you read the story and draw the book for me?" With his usual tone that I named as the Cat Prince's tone, he added, "Please stop crying. And okay, I'll read it for you."

No, I shouldn't disappointed the Prince-

"Somewhere in a small small town, there's a beautiful meadow." He started and actually he didn't read since there's no line. He just tell the story by showing me his drawing.

Although I have to admit, the drawing skills is not Prince's best trait.

Then he flipped the next page.

"On that beautiful meadow, there's a pretty little girl who loves to spend her time sitting by herself under this big and friendly tree."

As he continues, the pages flipped one by one.

"But later, a boy and a white cat came to town and share to them her favorite place. She's not alone anymore. She made the boy and his white cat felt welcomed in this new home."

"Chained flowers had brought them to be friends. The boy soon realized that flowers suits the girl best."

He.. Wrote a story about us?

"Day after day, the boy also realized that the girl couldn't running through the field of hays, couldn't jumping around to catch the blue butterfly, also couldn't stand the autumn breeze as she's as delicate as the flowers she loves the most."

I gasped in surprise for the words he created, although there's one thing that wrong, my Prince. It's not flowers that I love the most.

Taemin said as he pointed to his drawing, "This might not look like a butterfly, but yes, it supposed to look like it." And it makes me laugh.

Then he continued, "That's why the boy decided he will keep her company to sit together although he loves running around. He will catch a butterfly, a flying paper, or anything he needs to do if she wanted to. He... Hoped that his smile is enough to warm her day."

I looked at him and he smiled, telling me to keep listen as he moved to the next pages with a drawing of a girl.

"I'm bad at this, but you know that this girl is meant to be you." He informed me beforehand.

I nodded slowly as I didn't know what he will tell me next.

"The boy and the girl grew up together, also accompanied with the white cat. Nothing has change so much, except the fact that one thing the boy thought of the girl."

Taemin said to me and I don't think it's related to the draw. "You know that I have four sisters, right?" Once again I nodded then he said, "That's how I know all of these stuff related to my story."

He flipped to the page, there's a house and a window.

"The girl is just like the princess who trapped on a tall tower. And she has a long long beautiful hair too. The different is, she doesn't have a golden hair, yet she has a gorgeous red auburn hair that's even prettier. Well, at least for me, yeah."

I can't help but notice the small piece of window glass that's different from the other, "You.. You knew?"

He lifted his head and answer, "Hm.. I just notice that why is the glass was different than the rest? But yes, I found out about you since I was curious too."

Then he flipped the pages, "She just like the princess with glass shoes who has to go home by midnight. But the different is, she has to go home before it gets dark." Taemin added," and she prefers to be barefoot afterall." As he pointed to my feet.

"I think that's why you got cold so easily." He teased as I lifted my legs and hide it inside the blanket.

"She's just like the princess with red poison apple. But the different is, she loves to eat those apple so of course, it's not poisoned. And it's not the hair that as black as coal, it's her eyes. Those are as black as jade." There's a picture of a girl and an apple. I looked at the apple on a bowl beside the swing as then I offered to him.

"Sorry, I forgot to give you some." I smiled sheepishly.

"It's okay, I used to steal those slices apple from you anyway." He laughs as he ate.

Then he continued, "And just like the princess who hides inside the forest before she fell asleep for such a long time, the girl owns this lake, this meadow, trees and everything. But the different is, there's no fire-shooting dragon, Thank God."

I laughed as he flipped the page and I realized it's the last page. There's a picture of a boy, his hair is yellow, meant for blonde I think, standing with a white cat and red ribbon with bells.

"You...?" I stopped and just staring at him.

"Yes, it's me and Milky." He's grinning before he continued.

"So you see, this girl I met is every princesses in a fairytale with her own version as a complete one. But the problem is, what she have with her is not a knight in a white horse. I can't do anything about that." He acted like he feels sorry about it.

Me..? A princess? My Cat Prince called me as a Princess??

I put my hand on my forehead. I'm not having a fever, aint I?

"What is it? Are you okay?" He suddenly pull out from his act and then he gave me a worried look.

I shook my head, no, I'm fine. But then, could it possibily that he's the one who got a fever since he's blabbing this much? Is all what he said was true?

I put my hand on his cheek this time and I said nonchalantly, "Ah, you're also healthy as well."

"Eh??" He laughs so freely as he calmed himself and say, "So... What I want to ask is.. Are you okay for only having me and Milky, instead of a prince and his white horse- ooff!"

He stopped because I abruptly hug him and curled closer to him. Why did you have to go? And why did you have to tell me all of this if you plan to leave, Taemin?

I said to him, "But you will be going so far from this place, from this meadow.." From me...

He mumbled, "Not again, cry baby."

I pulled myself from him and then I murmured as I sobbed, "Whatever, Taem. Just let me cry this time."

He tilted his head to look at me closely and say, "Didn't I say that I hope it will be happy tears in the end?"

Tell me how can I feel happy??

"And so will you make a story book from my story?" He speaks out his demand with his Cat Prince tone, as I heard Milky meaowed.

But this time I ignored him as I said, "Can you let Milky stay here with me, just to keep me company."

He shook his head firmly, "I'm sorry, I need my white cat or I would feel incomplete."

I sighed and my head is still bowed down.

Then I felt his hand heavied on the top of my head, "Like I said, will you make a book out of it? So maybe we can publish it on the city. The Flower Princess." He moved his other hand to present the title of his so-called story.

Wait. We?

I lifted my head and he dropped his hand to put it on my shoulder. His smile appears as he clear his throat, "I will continue my question that was cut by a sudden embrace earlier... If you don't mind on having me and this white fat cat of mine," he took Milky and put it on my lap, "Do you want to move with us to the city? To live.. With me."

I don't care if my eyes became so big it could scare him, although the fact is, Taemin laughs as he covered my lips with the back of his hand, his habit, and then said, "Please, can you stop making me feel embarrased? I feel like burying myself on the ground as I revealed that I know all those fairytale stuff since my sisters love to tell them to me, they even made me to read all of them too!"

"But I'm embarrassed too!!" I exclaimed as I covered both of my cheeks.

"Really? You really have no idea, even to the slightest that I, no, we.. Might have the same feelings?" He asked me with those pair of innocent eyes. Ah, his blonde hair looks even shinier under the sun.

"Ofcoursenot! YourmyCatPrincesinceIwasjustagirl, aPrince!HowcanIpossibly-" I speak so fast as he frowned and his lips twitch in amusement so the I stopped.

Oops.

"What's that.. A Cat Prince?" He moved his face closer to me, but still looking all innocent.

I hide my face but I nodded slowly.

"Milky, did you hear that?" He asked his cat.

Meaow.

"She called me a Cat Prince." He repeated.

Then I feel like defend myself, "It's only because you were always followed by those cats."

"You have this nickname since we were kids?"

I nodded, not firmly though. My cheeks must've been as red as the apple I love so much.

Then he laughs, "Well, a blonde boy with a red auburn girl. A cat prince and a flower princess, we never the same as any others, don't we?"

I looked at him as he added with nodded his head acts so seriously, "Then we can always make our own story, right?"

A smile began to appear on my face, "So I will move with you.. To the city?"

He nodded as his eyes turn into a line because he's smiling.

"But me and my weak condition.." I hesitated.

Then he smiled as he said, "Don't worry, I will always have another blanket for you, and buy more milk for you than for him," he pointed his cat, "And you can just draw and draw as much as you like to spend your time."

I shook my head and not feeling too shy when I said to him this time, "No, just like what you said. Your smile is enough to give me warmth even on the coldest day."

He patted both of my pale cheeks before he kissed it heartily. And I hear Milky meowed before he sleeps on my laps.

Of course, who else do I need when I have my Cat Prince only for me?

*************************************************************************************