-

Aren't We Friends?

The next day in class, Yongguk was staring at an empty seat. Himchan did not come to school today and Yongguk had no idea why. He wanted to call Himchan but he realized that he didn't have his number. This was bothering Yongguk so much that he didn't paid attention in class. Wait, in fact, Yongguk never pays attention in class even before Himchan came. Maybe he's sick? Should I go visit him? But then again, Yongguk didn't know exactly where Himchan lives. He decided to not give it a thought. Maybe it's just for today, Yongguk hopes he would see Himchan tomorrow in class.

Two days had passed and Himchan wasn't in class for the third day. Yongguk was becoming very worried. He kept wondering what was going on. Why didn't Himchan came to school? Did something happened? But, he was fine the day before he was absent from school. Yongguk then remembered the street that Himchan lives. He decided to go there after class. 

Yongguk sat at the bench where Himchan and him sat the other day while having their noodles. He kept looking around hoping Himchan would appear. After two whole hours of waiting, no sign of Himchan, Yongguk almost felt like giving up. He was about to leave the place when he saw a familiar face walking along the street, it was Jongup. Yongguk remembered that Jongup was Himchan's younger brother.

"Jongup!" Yongguk called out. Jongup was with a school friend.

"Oh, Yongguk hyung." Jongup and his friend came towards Yongguk.

"Daehyun, this is Himchan hyung's friend, Yongguk." Jongup introduced. Daehyun bowed slightly and smile. Yongguk bowed back quickly.

"Where's Himchan? He didn't turn up for school for the pass three days." Yongguk asked without any hesitation. 

Jongup eyes widen a little "Hyung, you didn't know?" 

Yongguk flinched a little "Know what?"

Jongup and Daehyun exchanged glances. 

"Himchan hyung... He was admitted to the hospital." Jongup replied.

"What??!" Yongguk was shocked. "But...Why...How.." Yongguk had no idea this was coming.

Jongup sighed. "Hyung, come, take a seat. I'll tell you, everything." The three of them sat at the bench. Jongup told  Yongguk everything. Turns out, Himchan was sick. He had an illness called Lukemia. It's an illness where you have more white blood cells then red blood cells. And you could die from it. Himchan had been fighthing this illness for a very long time. Himchan had no friends back in New York. He was always alone. He never socialized with anyone because of his illness. Now he knew the reason why Himchan moved to Korea. Himchan was born in New York and he has never seen Korea. He moved here because he wanted to know how and what Korea is like. Yongguk was speechless. He did not spoke for a moment. He did not know what to think. He sat there motionless. Jongup looks down to his feet. Yongguk finally moved. He turned to Jongup. 

"We don't know for sure how long Himchan hyung is able to live. But it seems like any time now, he's gonna..." Jongup said looking down. Poor Jongup, Yongguk thought. It must be really hard on him. Yongguk softly pats Jongup's shoulder. "Take me to Himchan, I want to see him." Yongguk said. 

=====

Himchan was flipping through a magazine when his ward door opened. 

"Himchan hyung."Jongup called out as he and Daehyun walks in. 

"Oh," Himchan looks up from the magazine "Did you guys get the food?" Himchan asked. Daehyun passed the plastic bag of food to Himchan. "Here, hyung."

"Himchan hyung, we... brought a friend a long," Jongup turned to the door "Hyung you can come in now." 

Himchan looked at the door and his eyes widen when he saw Yongguk coming in. "What are you doing here?" Himchan told Yongguk off with a tone that he obviously didn't wanted Yongguk in his hospital ward. Yongguk kept quiet and look at Himchan sympathetically. He did not speak. 

"Yah Jongup-ah, I told you to get me food, why did you bring him here." Himchan raised his voice at Jongup. 

"Hyung, Yongguk hyung wanted to see you." Daehyun helped Jongup to speak up. 

"Aisshh." Himchan slammed the magazine onto the table. There room was silent for a moment. Yongguk was still in shock seeing Himchan in this state. 

"The two of you, get out." Himchan looked at Jongup and Daehyun. And they left the room without saying anything. Yongguk then took a chair beside the bed and sat down. He stared at Himchan. It was only then that he Yongguk realized that Himchan looked so skinny. He'd never realized this before. It aches Yongguk heart to see Himchan like this. 

"Wae? Haven't you seen a sick patient before?" Himchan told Yongguk harshly. 

"Why...Why didn't you tell me?" Yongguk finally managed to speak.

Himchan made a short deep sigh. "Who are you??? Who are you that I have to explain to you about my sickness" Himchan said cold-heartedly.

Yongguk looked down to his feet. "Aren't we friends?" Yongguk was almost in tears but he held back. Himchan looked at Yongguk. Yongguk was right, they were friends. Himchan never had any friends back in New York and Yongguk was his first friend. Himchan liked Yongguk. Himchan always felt comfortable around Yongguk. Yongguk had taught Himchan the meaning of friendship. Himchan was almost in tears. He did not know what to say. Himchan looked down to his hands. 

"Sorry... I'm sorry I-"

"What are you sorry about? You're not the one in fault. There's nothing to be sorry about." Yongguk looks up and cut Himchan off before he could finish his sentence. Himchan was crying. Yongguk sighed and pats his shoulder. 

"Yah, you better get well soon. Because the next time, I'm gonna win you in the arcade race game." Yongguk tried to joke to changed the atmostphere. He wanted to motivate Himchan. 

"Tch." Himchan gave a slight laugh. "We'll see about that. You lost to me two times already." 

Yongguk laughed. "But not the next time. I'm gonna do some training myself while you're here slacking." 

"Bwoh? Training? Alright, we will see then, arraso?" Himchan teased. 

They laughed and joke about everything that they possibly could think off. Yongguk wanted to give Himchan all he could as a friend. He wanted to see that smile on Himchan's face again. He would do anything to make Himchan happy.

 

 

Last chapter is coming~ Daehyun finally speak didn't he? :D