Teardrop Shaped Destiny

A Picture Speaks a Thousand Words

 

 

Teardrop Shaped Destiny

 

Putting it bluntly, Sungyeol didn’t have any friends.

 

Well, lets be nice, he did have friends. Just not in the area he lived now. You could thank his parents for that; they had a for moving houses. Well, maybe it wasn’t a so much as a necessity. They didn’t exactly have the money to stay in one rental home very long and were normally had to move again when the father got a new job. Which, unfortunately, was a frequent occurrence.

 

So Sungyeol was stuck in a new neighborhood, a new school with a new set of people that wanted nothing to do with him. Maybe it was the lack of self-confidence or the fact that he’d entered the school in the middle of the year. Either way, they didn’t care much for his presence.

 

So, instead of being stuck in the crowded cafeteria, sitting at the end of an occupied table and feeling social awkward and lonely, Sungyeol found himself an empty classroom every lunch and ate alone.

 

At least this way he didn’t have people staring at him. And people say being good-looking is everything. In Sungyeol’s experience, it just made people stay away from you. Blame it on jealousy, self-pity, intimidation or shyness he’d always been left alone.

 

Maybe that’s why it came to him, the little thing that floated into the room, rather than to anyone else. It was easy to say Sungyeol nearly fell out of his chair when the upside-down teardrop shaped creature, about the size of his head, appeared in front of his face.

 

With his back pressed hard into his chair and his head about as far back as he could get it he stared at the little creature that floated through the air happily. Slowly he inched forward, keeping his eyes locked on the little creature. He swore the thing winked at him before a strip of water spat out of its mouth, right onto Sungyeol’s shocked face.

 

Sungyeol blinked once, twice before shaking his head, sending water droplets flying around his face. He wasn’t sure if the little creature was laughing at him or just normally bubbly but it kept spinning around in the air, dipping and dropping around casually.

 

Sungyeol eyed the small creature wryly, ‘What are you… like, a modern Casper?’ Of course the little thing didn’t answer him. Just spiraled around in the air joyfully, a little smile quirking on its… face?

 

‘Is that your face, or is that?’ Sungyeol muttered innocently, first pointing to the two small eyes then at the pointy end of its body. Again, nothing. Just another summersault.

 

‘Hello?’ this time he did fall of the chair, landing awkwardly on his bottom on the floor. He shot a mock glare at the dancing teardrop… thing and tried to make sense of what had just happened.

 

‘Sungyeol…?’ the voice came again. This time his eyes shot up to the boy who stood in the doorway where an equally handsome boy stood, eyeing him curiously.

 

‘Ah…’ Sungyeol’s eyes shot to the little creature that was now trying to do ballerina spins, ‘yeah?’

 

The other slowly entered the room. Sungyeol had seen him around, he was a little like him really, good-looking but seemingly ignored. He had short hair, styled with his fringe falling over his forehead casually. His face was rather feminine but the way he carried himself shot that image down immediately. He had intense, charismatic eyes that shot right through people and his face was rather cold when there was no smile lingering on his plump lips.

 

‘I’m Myungsoo…’ he said almost awkwardly, rubbing his hand over the back of his neck.

 

‘Yea, I know.’ Equally awkward. Maybe they were better suited than they knew.

 

Myungsoo stepped over slowly, leaning his body on the desk opposite the one Sungyeol had been siting on. Realizing he was still on the ground Sungyeol tried to casually get to his feet and ignore the little thing buzzing around his head.

 

Surprisingly Myungsoo pointed to the little thing casually, as if it was no big deal that some random creature was flying around their heads. ‘You found Tears?’

 

Sungyeol raised his eyebrows, ‘Tears?’

 

Myungsoo shrugged, ‘She looks like a teardrop, right?’

 

Sungyeol eyed the thing dubiously. ‘She?’ This time Sungyeol was fast enough to close his eyes before the water hit his face. When he opened his eyes Myungsoo was chuckling, trying to push off Tears as the little thing tried to snuggle into his face.

 

‘I made the same mistake.’ Sungyeol crinkled his nose, running a hand over his face to push the water off. Sungyeol watched Tears as it tried to come up to him and snuggling into his neck as well. Laugher spilled out of Sungyeol at the contact, it tickled. ‘What is it, exactly?’

 

Myungsoo looked at Sungyeol casually, shrugging his shoulders. ‘Tears? No idea, pretty cool though, right?’

 

Sungyeol tried not to smile as Tears did another spin through the air. ‘Pretty weird…’

This time he was quick enough to lift his hand, blocking the strip of water. ‘Nice try, Tears.’ Sungyeol blinked, ‘Oh, I must be crazy. Talking to a … teardrop thing.’

 

Myungsoo grinned, ‘Then so am I. You’re new, yeah?’

 

Sungyeol fidgeted awkwardly, ‘Relatively…’

 

Myungsoo stuck out his hand, indicating for the taller boy to shake it. Sungyeol took it, wondering briefly if the other played guitar due to the number of callouses on his fingers. Tears jumped between them, swirling around their joined hands as if she’d wanted them to meet. Watching her laughter bubbled out of the two.

 

Well, Sungyeol shrugged briefly, maybe there was a reason for Tears. Maybe the reason she’d appeared between the two was to join two people, who otherwise wouldn’t know one another, to meet.

 

Who knows, Sungyeol thought with a smile, maybe Myungsoo would become his best friend.

 



 

 

Chapter Characters;
              Infinite's 'L' (Myungsoo) and Sungyeol