"You need to study."

Drowned by Dreams

Disaster had struck. Although my parents had seemed fine at first about the auditions (if not a little clueless), they appeared to be changing their minds. The reason? My report card had arrived... It wasn't looking great.

"Sophie, I just can't believe it. I can't believe my eyes. You got a C in English? An E in Biology?! What happened?"

"I don't know, I tried my hardest-"

"I don't want to hear it."

"But-"

"No, Sophie. I think you've been spending too much time practising for this audition and not enough time on your studies. If I'm honest, I'm not sure I want you to go anymore."

My eyes widened in fear and shock.

"What?!"

"Thats what I think. I think you should concentrate on your school work. I don't want you getting grades like this."

I felt the heat rising in me as the first tear fell and rolled down my cheek.

This sent my mum into a flying rage.

"Look, Sophie. This just isn't good enough. You can't expect me to let you go gallivanting around and not paying any attention to your studies! Its just not acceptable! You can't sacrifice your education over some pathetic little dream."

That really hit me. Pathetic? Little? Didn't she know that this was what I wanted to do with my life?! I broke down into a flurry of tears and held my head in my hands.

"What are you crying for? Get upset over something real, Sophie."

And with that, she walked out of the room followed by my dad and left me sobbing to myself at the kitchen table.

I guess I could have tried a little bit harder... I kept getting distracted. By comebacks mostly. What was I supposed to do if this month had turned into some kind of comeback festival? I had to support my favourite artists! But regardless of my distractions, I really had tried in school. I was just so busy, I hadn't even had that much time to practise! It was just exam after exam after exam and it was wearing me out. If I had to lay eyes on another science revision book...

 

I had one more week until the auditions. I would convince my mum to let me go. If not, I think I'd have to go anyway.

And I would make sure I did my very best, so that YG needed to accept me.