Reluctantly Friends

School Age

It was out on the playground after lunch that all the children were running around excitedly.  All except for a couple.  Daesung was just sitting off to the side playing his Game Boy when he looked over towards the soccer field.  A lot of the boys and a few girls were playing, but off to the side of the field there was the older kid everyone knew.  He was in the fifth grade and already looked like he belonged in middle school, although his style of dress was still pretty elementary.

His name was Seunghyun, and he was one of the biggest kids in the school let alone his grade.  He was busy picking on a smaller kid that looked like he’d be in Daesung’s grade or younger.  Daesung didn’t recognize him so he must of been a new kid.  Not thinking much of it he went back to playing his game.



Standing there looking up Seunghyun didn’t know what hit him.  It was his first day in school and he was already being picked on.  He was always the popular kid so he didn’t know what to do here.  Had he done something to the big kid to make him angry?  He didn’t think so.  Seunghyun hadn’t really spoken a word all day.

“Hey!”  A kid shouted from the soccer field.  “Why don’t you pick on someone your own size!”  And with that the kid, who was just a little shorter than the older one, kicked the soccer ball towards the two.  It was a long shot but it worked.  The ball flew and hit the older kid right in the head.

“Ow!  Ow ow ow ow!”  The bigger one cried out rubbing his forehead where the soccer ball had hit him.  Against his will he began to cry too.  That’s when the one who had kicked the soccer ball ran over triumphant that his plan had worked.  But when he got there he saw the two.  The younger one still whimpering and the other one crying from the pain.  Apparently he had kicked it harder than he thought.

"Ugh," Jiyong sat down next to the older one who was now sitting on the ground next to the one he had been picking on.  Patting the other one's head Jiyong looked over to the younger one and smiled at him.  Jiyong knew everyone and everything that happened in the school so he could tell that he was new. "Hi! I'm Jiyong."

Still whimpering he replied, "I'm Seunghyun."

That's when the other two just looked at each other.  Everyone knew Jiyong, and Jiyong knew everyone.  Both him and Youngbae basically ran the place so it was only natural that he knew the other kids name was Seunghyun too.  "Well," the other one spoke up finally after he had calmed down a bit, "That's my name too."

Laughing at how tough he looked and then at the fact that he had been crying from being hit with the soccer ball Jiyong and the little Seunghyun kind of pushed the one in the middle.  "Well then," Jiyong told them, "You both can't be Seunghyun!  That's too confusing!  I know!  How about we call you Seungri!"  Smiling triumphantly again Jiyong was pleased and he wasn't going to take no for an answer.

Standing up Seunghyun looked down at Jiyong like he was nuts.  Helping him up but not Seunghyun he told him, "Why on earth should I let you call me that silly name?"

"Well because I say so!"  Jiyong demanded back.

Seeing that his new "friend" was going to call him that no matter how much he protested he gave in.  "Alright I guess," Seungri let out with a sigh.

The three sat there and didn’t know what to do after Jiyong had passed the ball back to the game.  Soon they heard the whistle for all of them to come inside.  Jiyong was the first one up along with Seungri.  Giving eachother a look they knew instantly what the other was thinking.  They began a race back to the school doors.  Both getting there as the other did it was tie.  Seunghyun on the other hand just walked calmly back, all the while trying to make himself look like he hadn’t just been crying his eyes out.

Daesung just paused his game and put the Game Boy away in his oversized hand-me-down jacket.  Zipping it up so that way it wouldn’t fall out during the rest day he tried rolling up the sleeves that were a little too long for him, but to no avail they just slid back down.  Walking along with the rest of the kids they all filed inside.

As the day went on everyone enjoyed themselves, and Seunghyun slept mostly through it.  Although everyone laughed when he about fell out of his chair when the teacher tried to wake him up.  After school though the insanity started.  Everyone was rushing out to get home and relax and have fun.  Jiyong had something in mind for his newly found friends though.

“Hey guys!”  He ran up to Seungri who just so happened to be walking right next to Seunghyun.  before either of them could turn around Jiyong had his arms around both of their necks and he was grinning happily.

Seunghyun tried to escape his new found “friend” but to no avail, and Seungri on the other hand just waited to hear Jiyong out.  He was in no position to turn down any friends at this point,” And what exactly is it that you have planned?”

Jiyong’s grin got even bigger, “Let’s all go and hang out at my house!”

The other two just looked at each other and then at Jiyong, and it was obvious that he wasn’t going to give up anytime soon.  Seunghyun sighed in reply, “Alright we’ll go hang out.”