Part 1: Bittersweet

Taste Of Love [Series]
"Junho-ssi. JUNHO-SSI!"

"Yeah?"

"I hope you're not sleeping in my class again." The skinny female math teacher eyes Junho through her triangular-rimmed glasses.

"What if I am?" Junho had his legs up on the table... leaning back on the chair as the girl behind him went to instant heaven as she sniffed his hair.

"Well the principal would be more than happy to see you in his office right now."

"And I would be delighted to leave your boring lectures." Junho gets up and walks toward the door with hands in his pockets.

"By the way, here's your last week's math test." she said as she coldly stuffs the paper in Junho's direction as he walks by.

"Whatever." Cramming it into his pockets, he leaves quietly.

...

"Junho... how many times has it been? I swear I see you more than I see my wife." The principal sighs as he stares at the boy sitting in front of him.

"It's 'cause I miss our divine figure, Principal Park. By the way, how's Mrs. Park doing?" Junho replies as he plays with the principal's mini-indoor golf set.

"Oh she's doing... hey wait a minute... don't change the subject."

"Well... what do you want me to do? I'm just not the type to be a up goody goody."

"Could you at least show a bit of respect for your teachers?" Principal Park gets up and joins Junho with a vacant golf club at his disposal.

"Why? As long as I get good grades, the only respect needed is mine towards my parents. Isn't that what I'm here for anyways?" Junho scores a hole in one yet again...

"Yes you are right but the teachers are here to help and aid your growth... the attitude you show towards them is that of an ungrateful student... Honestly Junho... do you have any plans for the future? like aspirations?" Principal Park misses the hole.

"No, I do not Principal Park." Junho scores another hole in one... "I will tell you when the time comes." Junho hands the club to the principal and leaves the room.

"Aish.... what am I going to do with this kid..." Principal Park sees a crumpled up piece of paper on the floor... "Another A... 101/100... that kid..."

...

Junho, who had no intent of getting back to class... wanders the empty hallways.

"So if you combine these two ingredients together, the batter will definitely turn more flaky when it rises up after being baked. Any questions so far?" A familiar voice that resounded from the home economics room lured Junho in.

-Ding Dong Ding Dong-

"Well that's all for today class, I hope you all have a pleasant weekend. And remember to review what we covered today."

"Yes Ms. Kim."

...

The Home Economics room was now empty with only the teacher inside.

"Hey Ms. Kim"

Ms. Kim is the Home Economics teacher as you can see... around 22 years of age, friendly and willing to help you in anyway... Skinny and I guess average height... short hair and a nice eye smile. But one thing that captivates me the most is... she smells like chocolate chip cookies today... really really seductive...

"Hey Junho~ you experimenting again today?" Ms. Kim flashes a smile as she cleans up the classroom.

"Maybe... here let me help you with that." Junho grabs the bowls and supplies from Ms. Kim's hands.

"That's very sweet of you Junho, I don't get why all the teachers are always on your back."

"I have my own way of showing affection and they're not used to it." He replies as he washes the baking supplies with Ms. Kim.

"By the way, here's the recipe you wanted from the other day." Ms. Kim hands Junho a piece of paper.

"Thanks Ms. Kim... but I don't think I'll need it anymore... I came up with my own... care for a taste?" 

"I would be delighted... may I be of assistance?"

"No need. Just relax, you've been working all day." Junho turns off the tap and puts on an apron and holds his hair back with a bandana.

"I'll get the hot chocolate ready then."

Junho had a face of content and delight, although a smile was not present, the passion he puts into making sweets is admirable.

...

"Done~" Junho pulls out a souffle from the oven... it was perfect ~ nice color... light and flaky...

"You came up with this recipe?" Ms. Kim was overwhelmed in both excitement and shock.

"Yeah... I tried it at the bakery on my way home the other day..." Junho scratches the back of his head as he blushes.

"~~~ this is... delicious ~ the taste of the honey and lemon juice... you can tell that it isn't overpowered by the other... and the chocolate drizzled on the edges... that takes a lot of work to get it onto the souffle... Junho~ I give this evaluation a 200 out of 100!." Ms. Kim winks and gives a thumbs up with the fork in her hand.

"This is why you're not the math teacher." Junho tried to hold back that smile as he looks at his feet.

"Here I want to give you this." Ms. Kim gives Junho a big yellow envelop.

Junho opens up the envelop and unveils something rather surprising...

"This is a registration for a famous branch in Paris... I already wrote you a recommendation ~ all you need is your parents' approval. I'm sure with your grades you should be-"

"No..." Junho's expression turned dark.

"Huh?"

"... Sorry Ms. Kim but I have some other business to attend to." Junho places the envelop on the table and leaves.

"... Junho..." Ms. Kim's eyes shimmered as the confusion and reflection of Junho's dark expression remained in her head. Thoughts like, "What did I do wrong? and Maybe he's just too excited." were present.

Meanwhile... Junho was running down the halls to relieve himself... Every time he's in this state, he would run endlessly till he runs out of stamina.

...

Finally he reaches the courtyard where only rose bushes and a fountain was present... his stamina was completely depleted... all he wanted to do now was enjoy the scenery and take in some fresh air to relieve the depression lingering in his heart and mind.

"... ha... ha... ahahaha -sniff-" At last he couldn't hold it in... tears trailed down his gentle face... the usual tough rebel aura was nowhere in sight...

"you think I don't want to pursue my dream... life never goes the way you want... I know that... but..." He pulls out his wallet and stares at the photo of him and his grandmother. "... One wants me to be a doctor, the other wants me to be a lawyer... everyday they keep handing me pamphlets of different schools... I'm just so... -sniff-"

Junho lies on the edge of the fountain as a few droplets of water splash here and there. Slowly he falls asleep to the sad memories of the past and present.
 
------------------------------------------------------
11 years... ago...

"Grandma~~~" Junho was running around inside his Grandmother's bakery.

"Yes Junho~" The elderly lady had a gentle smile as she mixed the bowl of batter present in her hands.

"How do you make such delicious sweets~~~" Junho finally stops and hugs his Grandmother's leg.

The elderly lady places the bowl on the counter and sits down on the rocking chair, placing Junho on her thighs. "Junho~ to be able to make delicious sweets... you must be able to understand who you're making it for from the bottom of your heart."

"My heart...?" Junho looks up into his Grandmother's eyes.

"Yes~"

"... Grandma~ I want to be a pati... pat"

"Patissier."

"Patissier just like you~"

... 5 years later...

"MOM! COULD YOU STOP THIS NONSENSE!" Junho's mother yelled at the top of her lungs.

"But dear... Junho has the gift and talent... I think you should..."

"HE IS MY CHILD! HE WILL FOLLOW IN THE FAMILY'S FOOTSTEPS!"

"..." Junho hid behind the door... scared... and quivering in his own shell with only tears to comfort him...

... 2 months later...

"GRANDMA! GRANDMA!!!!"

"Junho... my precious grandchild... why you crying?"

"I'M NOT CRYING!!!"

"ha..ha... still stubborn as always... you know... I always loved your smiling face... back when you were young..."

"I'm smiling now! SEE!!!" Junho places his grandmother's hand on his face.

"... I wonder... what your dream will be..."

"GRANDMA! GRANDMA!!!!! UNCLE! WHERE'S MOM AND DAD!?!?!?!!"

"... well you see... they're..."

"THEY'RE WHAT?!??!?!!" Junho was shaking his uncle in his hands.

"Getting a divorce..."

"..." Junho falls to the ground... his expression was blank as tears kept running... he was confused... couldn't think of a simple solution to answer all his questions in one...
------------------------------------------------------

...

"it's already this late..." Junho wakes up and sees the sun about to set.

"Huh? what's this doing here..." A black school cardigan just like his falls to the ground... But thing is... it wasn't his... in fact it was 2 sizes too big.

Junho takes the cardigan in his hands and walks back toward the school. Nothing seemed right anymore... he was confused between his dream... memories... and the hopes which his parents' want him to become... "What should I do what should I do..." Thoughts like these are what makes the down fall of a man... and Junho has become one of them... Is there a completely fair and reasonable way to solve everything?

Not even giving it another thought, he collapses in the home economics room where nobody was present anymore.

...

"Junho-ssi?"

Morning has arrived as Ms. Kim stood in front of Junho, poking his face.

"Oh... morning." Junho rubs his eyes and gets off the floor.

"Junho... you need to be more honest with yourself..." Ms. Kim pours hot chocolate into two mugs.

"It doesn't matter what I think... if it does not have value." 

"That's not true... Do you know why I became a teacher?" Ms. Kim hands Junho a red mug of hot chocolate.

"So you can prey on young handsome boys like me?" Junho takes a sip.

"Close enough~" Ms. Kim smiles and takes a sip. "Well... next time you won't be so lucky... did you really think I forgot to lock the home economics room?" Ms. Kim puts down the mug and leaves the room.

".. what is she talking about..." Junho furrows his eyebrows and shrugs it off.

...

The next day... the meaning behind Ms. Kim's words became all so clear...

"..."

The home economics room was completely evicted of Ms. Kim's belongings... it was just an ordinary home economics classroom... the only thing that had Ms. Kim written on it was a letter accompanied with a big yellow envelop on the teacher's desk.

"Dear Junho,

If you are reading this...

I have already resigned...

there's no use in giving you a reason... because I know none of them will suffice...

But one thing that I know for sure is...

Pursue your dream... the talent and gift you have... cannot be described in words...

Please consider the possibility at least... on my desk should be a big envelop containing all the information on the academy... and my letter of recommendation.

... Sincerely Yours...

Ms. Kim...

PS: I've changed my phone number - if you want to contact me... become a patissier... because I know... your grandmother will be proud."
 

"Ms. Kim..." Junho has lost the only person that supported him... his ambition was definitely trying to push out of it's shell but the thing that kept haunting him and holding him back was...

"... I can't do it..." Junho slams his fists onto the desk... tears trailed down his face... "I can't... ah ha ha ha..."

"Do you mind? I'm trying to sleep..." A boy much taller than Junho peeks in through the door.

---End of Part 1---