Intersecting Lines We Are

Face In the Crowd

I brought my daughter to her day care school, as it was her first day.

"Appa, don't leave me.."

"Mianhe, So Yeon. Appa needs to work too. I promise, I'll pick you up after school, and we'll go get ice cream, arrasseo?"

So Yeon smiled and hugged me. Then, I held her hand as I led her to her classroom. The other kids where already starting to make scenes. Some cried when their parents left for the day. A girl cried when a boy pulled her ponytail. A boy boxed another boy who got his toy. I had So Yeon sit on a chair near the door, watching over her, waiting for the teacher to arrive.

And she came in suddenly. My eyes were wide opened in surprise. I didn't realize that she was going to be the teacher of my daughter!

"Anyeong hasaeyo. I'm Mdm. Lee Eun Jung."

"Anyeong hasaeyo, Mdm Lee."

Madame? Teacher Eun Jung is married???

Mdm Lee saw me and greeted me. "Oh, so your daughter So Yeon is going to be here in my class, Mr Ok Taecyeon? I'm so honored to have a famous star's child under my class!"

"Ah..ne..I answered." Then I knelt in front of So Yeon and kissed her goodbye. "Appa, promise me..you'll buy me ice cream?"

"Ne, So Yeon-ah.."

I gave Mdm Lee my good bye greetings and exited the door. I had not yet reached the stairs when I heard my name being called. I turned to see Lee Eun Jung run after me, carrying a paper and a pen.

"Mr. Taecyeon, is it possible if I could ask an autograph? I wasn't able to ask it for you last week when 2PM was having a concert in Incheon."

I took the paper and pen from the teacher and signed my name. "Wae?"

"Well..my then-fiance Lee Jang Woo called me, asking me to go home early. I told him I was watching your concert, but he asked me to go home because he didn't want me to look to tired and sullen on my wedding day the next day. Of course, I wanted to be the most beautiful bride on her wedding, but then again, I could say that concert was the last time for me to go wild and crazy and say goodbye to my maiden days. For after that, I decided to lie low and act as how a wife should be...demure and mature."

I blinked my eyes and looked at the paper and pen one last time before I finally said goodbye. "Had I caught you on that day, I could prevent the wedding from taking place. Anyhow, since I get to meet you then as a single lady, I'd say goodbye to that lady to took my heart captive. I loved you on the day  I first saw you, Eun Jung-ah...but I had to give it all up. Annyeong."

And I turned my back for good, my heart bleeding with pain. FOr had I known her earlier, Eun Jung would be mine. And like two intersecting lines, we would never meet like how I wanted us to. Yes, I may still meet her, but only as So Yeon's teacher...not as someone whom I consider the girl in my dreams. She wasn't mine to begin with, and she'll no longer be mine. 

-end-