Chapter Four

Catch Me If You Can

 

Jungsu sat next to Kangin, inside a room that the prison had designated them for questioning, in front of them was a small desk.

The head guard sat opposite them, Kangin was giving him a stern stare.  The guard slapped his hands down on his legs.

"I don't know what else I can tell you officers" He sighed frustratedly.

"Firstly, it's detective. Secondly, didn't you notice any differences in the prisoner's personality during the days leading up to his escape? Did he seem anxious or nervous at all?" Kangin questioned.

"Not that I know of, I don't deal with all of the criminals first hand, I don't have the time. I deal with the troublemakers. Prisoner Cho wasn't one of those, he mostly kept to himself from what I knew of him" The guard told them.

Jungsu sat in silence. Kangin turned to him.

"Why aren't you writing this down?" He asked with a perplexed look.

Jungsu quickly pulled out his notepad and began to jot down the previous conversation.

"Trainee?" The guard asked Kangin, smiling.

"Ha- I wish" He mumbled back, giving Jungsu an annoyed look, which went unnoticed.

"Okay, so what about his decision to grow his hair? Didn't that seem odd to any of you?" Kangin enquired, diving straight back into his questioning.

"Nope. Men here usually find other, paths, you could say, of living. Some turn to Jesus, others choose to 'become one with nature'.. Their personal choices aren't any of our business" The man answered, starting to look bored with their questions.

"Well, he certainly looked like Jesus with that hair cut, but clearly he was not on one of those paths of yours, obviously, instead he was finding his way back to his old one" Kangin spoke patronizingly, whilst looking at a CCTV image of Kyuhyun in his cell, the day before his escape.

"Look. Officer, detective, whatever. I've told you everything I know about the situation. It's all in my statement anyway. I was in my office when it happened, I didn't even see anything. I have a lot of work to get back to, this hasn't just affected you lot, you know" The guard pleaded, obviously wanting to leave.

Kangin sighed.

"Fine. You can go. Send in the last guard" He said, finding no reason to keep the head guard any longer, if he hadn't even been near when the incident happened.

The guard got up, nodding his thanks.

"Thank you for your time!" Jungsu called as he left the room.

Kangin turned to him instantly.

"What was that?" He demanded.

"What was what?" Jungsu shrugged.

"Thank you for your time..What was that? Don't speak without my permission again" Kangin instructed, mimicking his voice in a girly tone.

Jungsu couldn't fight the urge to poke his tongue out at the detective as he turned his back.

"I saw that, you know! What are you? Ten years old? Grow up Park. I'm in charge here" Kangin huffed, facing Jungsu again.

"Having a little lovers spat are we, officers?" A smug voice called, grabbing their attention.

They looked forward. Leaning against the door frame, a smirk dancing across his lips, stood Kim Heechul, the guard that got attacked by Kyuhyun during his escape, according to Kangin's notes.

"Detective!!" Kangin shouted, 

"Now sit down, pretty boy" He directed, not feeling so easy going anymore.

Heechul chuckled, walking towards the two men.

"You know, I could get you done for ual harassment for that" He winked, as he took a seat.

Kangin rolled his eyes.

"I can see that you're going to be a bundle of fun" He said sarcastically.

"Of course" Heechul smiled back, crossing his legs and leaning his face on one of his palms.

 "So you got hit and knocked out by the prisoner just before he escaped? Can you tell me how it happened?" Kangin asked.

"Oh no small talk? Okay, well I was admiring my beautiful face in the mirror inside one of the staff washrooms, when he came in. At first, I didn't recognize him. I asked who he was, he didn't reply, so I went a little closer to him, the second I realized who it was, he hit me, the next thing I remember was waking up to chaos, other guards running around everywhere, sirens... That's it" He explained casually.

Kangin snorted.

"That's it? Right, okay. So, you have contact with the prisoners on a daily basis?" Kangin said, reading from his notes.

Heechul nodded,

"Obviously, I'm a prison guard" He said matter-of-factly.

"Don't play smug with me. So you knew Kyuhyun and how he acted here?" Kangin interrogated. 

"I guess. Kept to himself, didn't make an effort to make friends. Not that I blame him though, not with this lot of invalids" He said, shivering at the thought of associating himself with the prisoners.

"Well it's just lovely to know your standards for friendship, but I couldn't care less about your opinions in people. Did you ever speak to the prisoner?" Kangin asked, whilst he read over Heechul's statement again.

"Yes, every now and then, just about his chores schedule really. Nothing other than that. Can't help you officer" Heechul smiled across at him.

"Detect-" Kangin started,

"Detective, yeah, I know" Heechul interrupted, rolling his eyes. 

He turned to Jungsu.

"Well you're quiet, cat got your tongue?" He said, laughing a little.

Jungsu stuttered, causing Heechul to laugh more.

"N-No. I'm taking notes" Jungsu finally answered, giving Heechul his best glare.

"I'm doing the questioning here, Kim. Not you!" Kangin growled frustratingly.

Heechul smiled angelically and turned his attention back to Kangin.

"Oh just go. We'll call you if we need anything more" He said, annoyed by the guards behavior. 

Heechul smirked before getting up and skipping out of the room.

Kangin threw down his pen and sat back in his seat.

"Man, he was annoying" He sighed.

Jungsu nodded, agreeing.

 


 

Once their shift had ended, Jungsu and Kangin went their seperate ways. Kangin went out with a bunch of detective friends to drink at a bar, whilst Jungsu went with Hyukjae to a quiet pub.

 

"He's so bossy and just HAS to be in charge of everything!!" Jungsu complained as he downed another shot.

-

"And he can't do anything himself, I have to tell him to do every little thing!" Kangin whined, holding out his shot glass to be filled again.

-

"Nothing I do is right and you know he even told me I hold a pen wrongly! A pen!!!" Jungsu slurred, again, taking a shot.

"He can't even do things learnt in the academy! I actually had to tell him to take notes during a witness statement" Kangin stressed, throwing his arms in the air, then reaching for his beer.

"Oh shut up about that partner of yours, let's go find some women!" One of Kangin's friends said, pulling him towards the dancefloor.

-

"Shut up about him Teuk, you'd be a lot worse off alone!" Hyukjae finally said, taking the shot glass out of his hand.

Jungsu threw his face down on the table, whining like a child.

Hyukjae sighed, hopelessly.

"Why did I take him his stupid coffee? Look where it got me?! I will never be nice to someone ever again!" Jungsu decided childishly, his head still on the table.

"Yes you will, because that's who you are. But come on, don't worry. Let's get you home" Hyukjae suggested.

Jungsu sat up, slowly shaking his head no.

"Yes, I'll go pull a taxi over for you" Hyukjae said as he walked outside.

Jungsu reached for the shot bottle, managing four more shots before Hyukjae returned a few minutes later.

"Okay, I got one, the driver said he's already got a passenger but since you're going the same way he might as well take you at the same time, the passenger apparently agreed aswell" Hyukjae smiled, pulling his drunk friend to his feet.

Jungsu stumbled, feeling his head go dizzy.

"Woahhh now" Hyukjae said, catching him before he fell.

He wrapped an arm around him and half carried him out to the taxi. He opened the door and pushed him inside.

Then walked to the drivers window, 

"Make sure he gets home okay, yeah?" He asked, concerned.

The driver nodded yes, before pulling off. 

Hyukjae began walking towards his house, which was only a few blocks away.

He looked forward to a nice long sleep.

 


 

Jungsu stretched his legs out under  the seat in front of him. He slouched against the door and rested his head on the window, the alcohol numbing the pain of his head vibrating against the window as they drove over the bumps in the road. He soon fell asleep, not even bothering to see who was in the taxi with him.

As he slept drunkly, he was sure he dreamt of a familiar chuckling sound.

A little while later, the taxi hit a large bump in the road, causing Jungsu to be thrown across the back seat into the other passenger, the force of the impact caused Jungsu to wake. He looked up at the blurry outline of the person next to him, his eyes refusing to clear.

He grunted sleepily, pulling himself back to his orignal spot, hoping to sleep again.

He heard the passenger chuckling quietly, very similar to the chuckle he thought he'd dreamt.

He opened his eyes and could just about make out a brunette haired man watching him.

He was going to say something but realised at that very second how sick he was now feeling, so instead he groaned and put his head in his lap.

A few minutes later, the car came to a stop. Jungsu grudgingly pulled his head up and looked out of the window, from what he could see this wasn't his stop, meaning it must be the other passengers.

He put his head in his lap again, praying that he'd get home soon.

He was just shutting his eyes when he felt the passenger lean closer to him.

"Bye then Leeteuk... Or should I say Jungsu" a velvety sounding voice said lowly.

"Mhmm, bye" Jungsu mumbled back grogily, waving his hand lazily.

The passenger laughed darkly, before getting out of the car.

Suddenly, Jungsu wondered how the passenger knew his name.

He looked up and out of the window, begging his eyes to see properly.

Finally, they came into focus as the driver started the engine again.

Next to his window, stood Cho Kyuhyun, waving devilshly, as Jungsu's taxi drove away into the night.

 

 


A/N: I'm really sorry if there's lots of grammer/spelling mistakes in here, I'm not feeling too well today and I'm so sleepy updating this. But I wanted to update today, so I apologise >_<