Chapter Three

Catch Me If You Can

Jungsu sat across from his station chief.  He twiddled his fingers nervously. 

No one knew just how he'd caught such a highly wanted criminal that day. Jungsu had simply agreed when Siwon told them all that he'd obviously chased after the criminal when he'd spotted him whilst patrolling the streets nearby. After all, Siwon was none the wiser either.

"So you understand why we need you on the case, Officer Park?" Chief SooMan asked, leaning across the table a little.

"Yes sir" Jungsu responded, choosing to look out of the window instead of making eye contact.

"You will be assisting a senior detective who is leading the case, you'll use your prior knowledge of capturing the criminal involved to help. You will be meeting him later today" The chief instructed.

Jungsu carried on staring out of the window, fiddling with his thumbs. No one knew that he had no chance of catching the escaped prisoner again, giving that he hadn't even realized he'd caught him the first time until half way through the arrest. If Siwon hadn't been there, he'd have handed him his coffee, returned to his not-so-exciting desk job and carried on like normal.

Now because of the simplest gesture of returning a coffee to a stranger, the whole force was relying on him to locate a genius, mastermind criminal. He had no hope, he had read the case files... There were enough of them.  Anything that could be stolen, Cho Kyuhyun had stolen at some point of his criminal career. Be it diamonds, rubies, other valuable jewels, gold, silver or extremely well protected art work, once even managing to steal incredibly sacred scrolls, sold on for billions, from a pyramid in Egypt. Kyuhyun was intelligent, smug and seemingly fearless. Jungsu didn't stand a chance against him.

He would be meeting the senior detective in less than an hour, after his chief had dismissed him, he headed straight to where he knew Hyukjae would be, the shooting range. 

"So, what did the chief say?" Hyukjae asked the instant he saw Jungsu enter.

Jungsu's only reply was throwing himself face down on the sofa in the corner of the room., sighing dramatically as he did.

"Didn't go too well then?" Hyukjae guessed.

Jungsu mumbled something back that Hyukjae couldn't quite understand. Instead he walked closer to his face down friend and pulled him up by his collar.

"Ya! Get off! Let me just lay here in self pity for a while, please?" Jungsu complained.

"At least tell me why you've been rendered into a two year old having a tantrum all of a sudden?" His best friend enquired, an eyebrow raised.

"He wants me to catch him... Again!!" Jungsu whined, emphasizing on the again.

"Well, you caught him before.. You can do it again" Hyukjae suggested, trying to sound positive, though it came out almost hesitantly.

"Nope. I won't. I can't. I'll fail and then I'll be fired, then I'll have no money and I will lose my house and I'll have to live on the street with all the scary people begging for money and oh my god Hyukjae, help me, this can't happen" He cried, hysteria rising in his voice.

"Oh shut up, you fool! You won't get fired! Stop acting ridiculous!" Hyukjae said, hitting him across the back of his head, rolling his eyes afterwards.

"Okay, okay, I can do this? I can, right? Hyukjae?" Jungsu asked, begging for reassurance, whilst rubbing his head.

"Of course! I have faith in you, despite the fact that you can't walk more than a few steps without tripping and can't shoot a gun correctly after weeks of lessons, but yes, if you really try, you can do this!" Hyukjae said happily.

"Okay! I can! I will.. I'm going to meet the senior officer on the case right now!" Jungsu smiled, leaving the room on a high.

"Officer Park fighting!!" Hyukjae called just before the door shut. 

He returned back to the gun he was previously cleaning, there was worrying written all over his face.

 


 

Jungsu looked at his watch, he had been waiting for this detective for 45 minutes already. 

Where the hell is he, he thought to himself.

As if on cue, the door nearby swung open. In walked a dark haired, rugged looking man, wearing a red Hawaiian print shirt and dark jeans. First, Jungsu noticed the coffee stain on his shirt, then his eyes diverted to the detective badge clipped to his waistband. 

The detective had his arms full of files, finally throwing them down onto the desk in center of the room. He looked around, finally noticing Jungsu sat quietly in the corner.

"Officer Park?" He questioned.

Jungsu nodded yes.

"Okay, I'm Detective Kim Youngwoon, call me Kangin" The man said before throwing a thick file towards the other.

Jungsu attempted to catch the file but instead the contents fluttered to the floor messily. He held his breath, waiting for his senior's reaction.

"Oh great, they were right" Kangin mumbled, though Jungsu heard clearly.

He began picking up the pieces of paper and attempted to put them back in the correct order, but it seemed impossible.

Kangin stood watching in silence the whole time, cursing his senior officers for assigning him this idiot. 

"Look, I don't have time for this, we are trying to find an escaped prisoner or have you forgotten that Park? Here, read mine, try not to drop it this time, yes?" He said, irritated, making sure to hand him the file directly this time.

Jungsu nodded embarrassedly. He began reading the notes, it was pretty much everything he'd already read, but that didn't stop it from terrifying him just as much as the first time.

"So obviously you know what's happened and it's pretty obvious what we need to do. And even though personally, I don't think we need you on the case, the chief seems to think we do. So, I want you to tell me everything that happened that day you caught Cho Kyuhyun... Start from the beginning and don't miss anything. Begin when you woke up..." Kangin instructed.

Jungsu gulped, his eyes were wide. Kangin sat opposite him, waiting.

He opened his mouth to speak and began the first of many lies he would soon come to tell his fellow officers.

 


 

Jungsu followed Kangin to his car, they were going to question the prison guards on duty at the time of Kyuhyun's escape. He peered in through the slightly tinted windows, crinkling his nose at the mess, there were coffee cups left all over the place, fast food wrappers and even a single sock draped off one of the back seats. 

Kangin caught his look of disapproval and laughed.

"Get used to it Park. You're stuck with me, my car and whatever is in it until we catch that low life" He said, getting in and slamming the door.

Jungsu winced at the sound, before making his way reluctantly to the passenger side.

They drove in silence for a few minutes, before Kangin decided to turn on the radio. Loud rock music blasted out of the speakers, much to Jungsu's dismay. Kangin looked over at his passenger, who looked uncomfortable. He lowered the volume, whilst rolling his eyes.

"How did I know you wouldn't like good music?" He sighed.

"What? I do like good music! Just not this... Noise!" Jungsu protested, crossing his arms.

"Okay, if you say so. You choose something then" Kangin replied, nodding towards the radio.

Jungsu fiddled with the dial, going through stations, finally stopping when a song he'd heard before called 'Bonamana' came on.

"How predictable" Kangin smirked.

Jungsu scowled at him. 

"It is not!" He pouted.

"It definitely is. I can practically see you hip ing along to it in front of a mirror or something" Kangin chuckled.

Jungsu's face turned bright red. 

"I would never, EVER, hip to anything, thank you very much!" He argued loudly, his eyes getting bigger at just the thought.

Kangin simply looked at him with an eyebrow raised, before turning the radio back to the original song that was playing.

Jungsu sighed, they spent the rest of the journey in silence.

He had thought that things couldn't get any worse than they were, but now he could add 'annoying partner' to the list.

 


 

A/N: I am soooooo sorry about not updating this story for so so long, I've been so busy with different things, college and things and then losing all the writing for this, but I've finally started it again :D And we have KangTeuk detective partnership now too, yay~! Thank you for reading <3