X

Into the Remaining Flames

 

Smooth metal, cool metal, hard metal, the weapon was trembling in between my fingers, gazing back up at me with the most curious intent of maybe playing with my mind as it laid in my hands almost pitifully. I thought I was going crazy at the moment, with a great desire to just drop it and run, and maybe, just maybe, find myself free in my bedroom so I could have a good sleep I haven’t been able to get.

A dreamer could dream right?

I tightened my fist around the metal to feel the last of it's coolness before turning around and tossing it into the fire. I wasn't going to fall into another round of mind games; I simply wasn't that kind of person to make the same mistake twice.

The specially made weapon flew across the tent and landed into calm flames, which triggered a snort from my tent mate. She probably knew what I was trying to do and as always, thought it was ridiculous to try and avoid what's practically everywhere.

I didn’t mind though and stared into the slow dancing flames, watching it burn, baby, burn. There was a quiet shuffling from my right and from the corner of my eye; I saw the tiny brunette slump besides me. I scooted away a little to give myself some more personal space and glared at her.

“What?” I snapped.

She was wearing a silly smile.

The short brunette shrugged and gave a nonchalant pop of . “Nothing. Just thinking,” she laughed a little at herself and her personal play of words that no one else could ever get use to; because it didn’t make sense, and I rolled my eyes at the once again, mysterious Sunny I got sometimes. I was sick and tired of her, and wanted to keep her by my side the rest of the war. Contradicting, I know, but it was true.

I don't know why I even bothered to reply, but I did.

“About?”

Sunny seemed to be pleased, so she looked at me with wide, glazed eyes that had a flame flickering in her eye against the shadow light. She looked absolutely frightening, I wouldn’t lie. She had a strong heart and with that burning light in her eyes, I was slightly taken back to actually see her inner self show in such orbs. Is this what they meant by the eye is the window to the soul? I wondered.

“Well,” she played with the dirt underneath our feet, “about how the night will be tonight. And how tomorrow will be.”  How we’ll survive tomorrow, was what she meant. “Seems all too surreal doesn’t it, Taeyeon?” She gave me another look and I resisted the urge to punch her in the gut.

Don’t look at me with such knowing eyes, Soonkyu.

I turned around to avoid looking at her and huffed.

“I have no idea what you’re talking about.”

Sunny laughed again.

“You seem like you never do.”

I wrapped my blanket around me and laid down on cold, hard ground. My cheek pressed against a light puff of dead grass.

“Nor do I want to. Go to sleep.”

She blurted out another irritating laugh at my retort and crawled towards her own worn out sleeping bag, slipping inside of it easily. Her small body was embraced with dirty brown material, a sight sore to the eyes. It just didn't seem right to see such a scene. I closed my eyes to rest, but she kept on going on.

“Yes, yes.”

This cheeky little girl…I don’t know what I’ll do with her.

Silence finally decided to fall in between us but the crickets outside chirped randomly, a lullaby I've grown to fall asleep listening to ever since I arrived at the campsite. Restless air and tempting patience was the key holder of the camp; if you couldn't wait and lash out without thought, you wouldn't survive. I found the sounds of nature to leave me calmer after I've listened to them. It was an unusual way to relax, but I figured if this was a way to cope, so be it.

Soft squeaking sounds were muffled by thick blankets and I found myself slipping away along with it.

The night that night, felt quite surreal.

***

“Get up.”

I pushed myself off from the dusty, desert ground and glared at the tall woman that stood in front of me with irritating authority. Who did she think she was? She could've at least asked more nicely.

“I don’t respond to rudeness,” I said, sudden confidence to talk back bursting out of my mouth before I could even stop myself. I instantly regretted saying anything when a flash of anger shot through her eyes and I gulped when I saw a badge shining back at me daringly. A low rank shouldn't be doing this to a obviously higher rank one. I heard Sunny gasp behind me and a few others chatter gossip around.

“And I don’t respond to disobedient lower ranks. Get up.”

The woman peered down at me with narrow eyes and a shiver was sent down my spine. This woman…meant business and I was quick to catch on the seriousness that she presented to me. It was shameful of me, but I let her drag me towards a large tent; the main one in the boot camp. I hoped no one saw the embarrassment on my face because I felt the undeniable burn of it.

The tall woman pulled the tent flaps apart and pushed me in first, causing me to stumble stupidly in front of someone that I could never not recongize.

“…Commander Yuri-sshi.”

I quickly bowed.

Commander dismissed my bow completely and motioned me to stand up, causing the tall woman who still stood beside me to pull me up abruptly. A certain dislike was starting to grow in me for this rude woman. I didn't even care that she was two ranks higher than me. I would never respect someone who didn't respect others also, that badge and rank of hers getting into her head a bit too much. Completely unworthy, I thought.

I looked straight towards the commander, being trained never to show weakness in front of someone with so much power as Kwon Yuri, the Commander of Female Section#9.

Dressed in her tidy uniform, her badge shining down on me with blinding pride, Kwon Yuri was absolutely respectable, and though I didn’t really care for ranks, me being one of low, low ranks, Kwon Yuri carried herself with something that made me stop and stare for awhile. I couldn’t figure out what it was, but it was extraordinary.

Yuri cleared and a slightly rough voice echoed throughout the tent, probably worn from ordering over 100 soldiers arounds daily.

“Kim Taeyeon, class 3, am I right?”

I nodded.

“Yes ma’am.”

Yuri glanced at the frustratingly tall woman beside me and said, “Sooyoung, leave me be with her for a few minutes.”

I raised a discreet brow. There were no formalities exchanged between them.

“Of course Yuri.”

And with that, she left with a rather mysterious air. Not even a bow of courtesy was shown.

I turned around and locked eyes with dark ones once again and I was shocked to see that Yuri smiled. Though I couldn’t read into it; even with me looking so intently into her eyes, I simply couldn’t get my finger on what she was feeling right now. Somehow, a tiny smile made its way onto my own face, the ends of my lips stretching upwards. I realized.

Somehow, it seemed like everyone here was gaurded, including me.

It was, somewhat, uplifting and so damned twisted.

I felt bitter.

Would it be like this for the rest of the war?

My thoughts were broken when finally, Yuri spoke again.

“Bring in Hwang Tiffany, class 4, group 23, please.”

My body turned around on it’s own and I was then face to face with her.

Whoever she was.

***