First Real Confession to the Devil

The Devil Does Cry

     Chapter 12 - First Real Confession to the Devil

  Weeks have passed and Seunghyun had grown close to Dara. The more he spoke to her, the more he saw. He was seeing the delicate side of Dara. He liked this Dara, but she would only show it when it’s just them four. If there’s someone out of the group, she would be her regular cold self. Seunghyun didn’t understand why she does it, but he was glad she’s talking to him.

  It was Friday and Seunghyun was thinking about asking her to be his girlfriend for real. The last time he confessed wasn’t exactly the way he had wanted it. Plus she didn’t say yes or no. He needed an exact answer.

  In the morning, he found Dara entering the school building earlier than usual. What was strange was her head was down and her steps were slow. He knew what she was usually like, so this was an unusual scene.

  He caught up to her and grabbed her wrist, causing her to spin around. His eyes widened at the sight.

  Dara’s left cheek was swollen. She had placed make up over it but it wasn’t enough to conceal the bump. She bowed her head and jerked out of his grasp.

  “Dara.” Seunghyun stepped in front of her. He placed a finger under her chin and forced her to look into his eyes. “What happened to you?” It was hard to accept that she got beaten. People would expect someone like her to be the one that beats the person up not the one who gets beaten.

  Dara didn’t want to answer. She avoided his gaze.

  “Dara. Please tell me.”

  Her lips formed a thin line as she decided whether or not if she should tell him. “My aunt,” she muttered. “She was drunk this morning and she beat me because I talk back at her.” Her eyebrows pressed together. “I don’t care if I talk back. She deserves it. Drunken .”

  “Dara.”

  “I don’t care if you scold me! You don’t understand what it’s like living with her! She doesn’t even take care of me! Ever since I moved in, she treated me like a slave and now that I’m old enough, she goes out in bars and… and… Ah!” She screamed, arms flailing.

  Seunghyun took her in a hug and patted her back. “Calm down, Ssantoki. Calm down.”

  Ssantoki… Dara grumbled inside her head, but she let it slide. She didn’t care about her nickname as much as the tight embrace Seunghyun was giving her. Her heart beat loudly as she burned red. Knowing people were watching, she pushed him away and stormed her way to her classroom.

  Seunghyun smiled to himself. At least he was able to get that close to her. But he felt sorry with her situation. He could tell Dara didn’t like her aunt for many reasons. Shouldn’t family stick up for each other? What kind of family doesn’t? No wonder Dara became what she is now.

  “Good morning, Buddy!” Jiyong exclaimed, coming up to Seunghyun. He was feeling better about his confusion. Over the past weeks he had been thinking if he actually liked Dara or just felt admiration. His conclusion was admiration, but who knows?

  “Hey, Jiyong.”

  “So do you know what you’re going to do for vacation?”

  He shook his head.

  “Do you want to go to Jeju Island with my family?”

  “It depends if my parents will let me.”

  “Of course they will! We’re best friends! Why would they deny it? Plus you’re responsible enough to be taking care of yourself.”

  “I guess.” Seunghyun was still bothered by Dara’s situation. Her aunt just ruined her beautiful face.

  “What’s wrong?” Jiyong asked, still reading him like a book as usual.

  “Nothing.”

  Aish! This boy can’t lie to me! It’s clear on his face that something is wrong! Jiyong shook it off, not wanting Seunghyun to get irritated. “Okay. But make sure you tell your parents about Jeju Island because we’re going to buy the tickets next week.”

  Seunghyun nodded. “Don’t worry. I’ll ask. I’ll see you later.”

  “Yeah! See you at lunch!” Jiyong skipped to class.

  Seunghyun strode behind, looking up at the sky. Dara. I’ll definitely confess to you today, but maybe after school.

_________

  Seunghyun arrived at the classroom and found Dara sitting in her seat while Bom was examining her swollen cheek. She was filled with rage as she rambled on about Dara’s aunt and how irresponsible that lady was. They could sue her, but then Dara wouldn’t have anywhere to live with. Not only that, but Dara’s aunt was the only family she got.

  Bom lightly touched Dara’s bruise causing her to flinch. “Sorry,” Bom said. “Did you put ice?”

  “Yeah, but only for the whole walk here. I had to throw it away because I didn’t want people worrying.”

  “And I see you put a little bit of makeup.” Bom said as she saw a shade darker on her bruise. “But you didn’t pick the right skin tone color.”

  “I know. It’s my aunts.”

  “I see.”

  Dara looked pass Bom and saw Seunghyun standing behind her. Her gaze dropped.

  Bom turned around. “Oh! Seunghyun! Good morning.”

  “Good morning.” He didn’t even look at Bom. He kept staring at the bruise on Dara’s cheek.

  Bom sighed. “The good thing is it’s just a bruise and will go away in a couple of days. But for right now, we should ice it.”

  Seunghyun nodded and sat next to Dara. At least she didn’t beat you up completely. “What did you say to her exactly?”

  Bom’s eyes widened.  She knew Dara didn’t like talking about personal matters especially when in comes to her aunt. But to her surprise, Dara told him.

  “Like I said, she was drunk. She had just came back this morning to who knows where and I yelled at her. I told her that she’s ruining her life, but she’s so stubborn and she wouldn’t listen to me.”

  Like someone here. Seunghyun thought.

  Dara continued. “And that’s when she hit me. She said I was disgrace to the family because I didn’t know respect. I don’t care. I have no respect towards her whatsoever.” She sneered and crossed her arms over her chest.

  “But she’s still older than you and a family member.”

  “Yeah, but someone that doesn’t take care of her own body!”

  “You’re just worried for her.”

  “Worried? Like I would be worried for her!” Dara scoffed again but knew Seunghyun was right. She was worried but she denied the fact.

  Seunghyun pursed his lips. “Alright. Whatever you believe in.” He shrugged and faced the front.

  Dara pursed her lips. “Okay. I guess you’re right. I am worried about her. She’s the only family I have and I don’t want to loose another. It’s bad enough my parents are gone…” Her eyes fell.

  Seunghyun grinned. “Don’t forget you have your friends.”

  “Yupp!” Bom said excitedly. This was the first time Dara actually spoke normally to anyone other than her! There certainly has been a progress since they first met! It just has to keep going.

  Dara smiled. Yeah. I have my friends here with me.

___________

  The rest of the day was lighter than usual. Even with Dara having a bruise on her cheek, she wasn’t in such a bad mood. No one knew why but maybe it was because of the hug she received in the morning.

  Even Jiyong was shocked by this sudden change, but he liked it. At least he didn’t have to worry about getting hurt by her. But he was thinking on Monday, she’ll return to her normal cold self. Who knows?

  After school, Seunghyun took Dara by the wrist the moment she stood up. Taken by surprise, she had no reaction as she was being led out the room and to the roof. Seunghyun stood in front of her and bowed. “Sorry for dragging you like this.”

  Dara stared at him, confused. She still didn’t understand why he brought her here.

  He stood straight and looked deep into her eyes. I’ll tell her now. “Dara, I love you.”

  Her eyes widened. Didn’t he already confess? But how come it felt like this was the first time? How come this time it felt more sincere?

  Dara’s mouth gaped. She was lost for words and there was no way to escape – Seunghyun blocked the way.

  Seunghyun dropped his head. If I’m rejected, I’ll still fight for her.

  Dara still couldn’t say anything. It wasn’t quick because they have known each other for a few months now, but she didn’t know what to say. She wasn’t ready for the first confession, but is she ready now? “I… Uh…”

  “It’s okay if you don’t accept me.”

  Dara bowed her head. I actually feel comfortable with you. “How about you take me on a date and we’ll see.”

  “Huh?” This was the complete opposite of what Seunghyun was planning. He was planning to confess, and then go on a date if she accepted. He wasn’t planning to go on a date first and then be accepted or rejected.

  “I want a date first.” I’m not ready to say my feelings just yet. “Tomorrow?”

  “T-Tomorrow?” Seunghyun didn’t have anything tomorrow, but he wasn’t expecting the date to be so soon! He didn’t even have a plan on where to take her! “I… I guess?”

  Dara grinned. “Okay. I’ll see you tomorrow, then.” She bowed and left him without a word.

  Seunghyun stood there like a statue. A date? A date even though we’re not actually dating? What if she’s not satisfied with where I take her? What if she rejects me after the date?! What if she’ll never enjoy it! Ah! Those worries were stuck in his head as he began thinking of ways to entertain her on Saturday. Hopefully he could think of something quick!