PIRATES

JOURNEY TO ENGLAND

 

Chapter III

 

“If you’ll believe in me, I’ll believe in you.”

 

-Lewis Carroll-

British writer and mathematician

 

 

 

England, the capital of the British Isles is where the Royal British family currently resides. The ruler is King Leonard VIII who used to have the title Crown Prince James Keswick of Luxor.  Luxor is a city in Egypt where the King was born; he was the only prince of all Britain who was born in another country.  His father King Edward II died suddenly of a heart problem when the King was only twenty-two. He became the youngest prince to take over the throne.

Inside the castle of Keswick, in the royal dining hall the King is having his supper with his family, which consists of his first son the Crown Prince Rey and second son Prince Luther. Along with the King’s sons, is his sister Princess Anna and her husband Sir Anthony with their only child Lady Angela joins them.

“Do you have to leave at night your majesty?”

Princess Anna asked his older brother the King. She is worried of the dangers that her brother may encounter along the road going to the port. As well as the strong storm, that is bothering her since last night.

“Yes, I want to arrive in Spain as soon as possible. I believe that Alfonso will not be in good shape. He love his brother a lot, he is bound to do something foolish out of rage. It is typical of him; I need to be there to give him some light.”

“Why does Rey have to go too father?”

Prince Luther who is a year younger than his older brother the crown prince was not allowed by King Leonard to join them on their voyage.

King Leonard gave him a look that means his irritated by him and refused to acknowledge his question.

“You’re majesty if I may say something. It is very dangerous for you to go on this voyage with only a couple of soldiers to protect you. I would like to insist that you bring with you the Night Sparrows, this is also for the Crown Princes’ safety,” said Sir Anthony who is one of the Kings advisers.

King Leonard finished his soup before he faced Sir Anthony with a stern look.

“The Night Sparrows are pests. They are not to be trusted Anthony. They have done a lot of damage in many small towns. Getting food and money for themselves, they are selfish and greedy, there practically thieves. You want me to entrust them the life of my son, huh, I would have never thought you would propose such an upsetting thing.”

“But your majesty they are the most skillful swordsman in all of Britain!”

Sir Anthony stood up and looked furious.

“Sit down and calm yourself Anthony! Do you have any respect?”

 A loud and scary voice thundered in the Royal Dining Hall. A man, a fat and huge man walked inside the hall. He looked like a giant, around six feet tall. He wore a magnificent robe with the royal color of purple trimmed on the side with gold.

“What is this I hear of Night Sparrows being the best swordsman in all of Britain? What about me?”

The man walked slowly and every step he takes it shakes every thing in the hall. The diamond-filled chandelier hanging in the ceiling looked like it would drop at any moment.

“Prince Frederick! Your back?” Sir Anthony mumbled nervously.

King Leonard didn’t look at his younger brother and focused on finishing his meal, Princess Anna stood up and hugged his brother, Prince Rey smiled to him while Prince Luther waved, little lady Angela ran to him and kissed his uncle on the cheek.

“Yes I’m back,” he laughingly said, he took a seat and as he sat on the chair, it creaked. He took a piece of roasted chicken and ate it whole.

“How can you swallow it whole uncle? You are like a huge monster with a huge mouth, “Prince Luther who was amazed said to his uncle.

Prince Frederick laughed and again his voice boomed inside the hall.

“Well, now I’m full, what were you talking about Night Sparrows Anthony?”

Sir Anthony sat down, “His majesty thinks that bringing the Night Sparrows along with him in his voyage is not a good idea.”

“Hmmm…well it really is hard to trust them but they are very skilled. Brother, do you not want to consider it? I mean Rey is a good swordsman but anything can happen.”

Prince Frederick smiled to his older brother who does not seem to be listening. After a few minutes of silence, the King spoke at last without having eye contact.

“Why have you come back? Is the task I assigned to you finished?”

“Do you under estimate me that much brother?” laughed again, “Yes, I have finished it, you can ask Lt. Earl about it when you come back. When I heard you were going on a voyage I wanted to be back here as soon as I can so I can help dear Luther in continuing your work.”

“There is no need for you to help him.”

King Leonard stood up, and then looked at his brother without a blink and said, “You want me to be protected by the Night Sparrows, but I shall not accept a suicidal act. You yourself who was once one of them should know that better than I.”

 The King then left along with Prince Rey.

Under the table, Prince Frederick hid his left hand. He is holding his spoon made of thick silver and within a second, he was able to bend it. His hand is shaking, a fist so strong it could kill a deer in an instant.

As the storm reaches the southern seas, a ship with a black flag and a skeleton painted on it is fighting its way through the huge waves. It will arrive in Barcelona in three days. In the inner cabin of the small vessel, Tottowi is sleeping. He has not waked up for almost two days; his right leg is seriously injured due to the blast on the ship Maria. The loss of blood made him very weak and he has been sleeping since. Up in the deck, the Black hunter is steering the ship. He is not wearing his mask or cape.

A man with a beard who Black Hunter called Rex stood behind him. He is sharpening a beautiful gold dagger, in the handle an initial M. is engrave on it.

“Black, why did you take that boy? You could have just left him on that ship. His going to be a burden to us you know,” Rex said as he spit on the blade and wiped it with his hand.

“Don’t worry; he’ll be gone once we arrive in Barcelona.”

Rex smiled, “You haven’t answered my question.”

“There is no need to explain.”

Rex finished cleaning his dagger then without warning threw it to the Black Hunter whose back is exposed but amazingly, even though the Black Hunter could not have known it he was able to dodge the shiny thing.

“Damn! You are as sharp as ever,” Rex said disappointed while the Black Hunter laughed.

“His awake! His awake Black!” a boy ran into the room where the Black Hunter and Rex are.

“Wohohoo there Max. So what if that burdensome being is awake?” Rex said to the cute little boy who is only seven years old. He shook his blond hair making it look like a birds nest. The boy got angry and step on Rex’s feet. Rex yelped.

The Black Hunter laughed, “Don’t mess with Max Rex. He is a sensitive boy. Come Max let’s go and visit our guest.” Max stick out his tongue to Rex. Rex took a chair and act out as if he was going to throw it to him. Max hurriedly run.

“Rex, steer the ship!” The black hunter said smiling.

Tottowi who was confuse as to where he is tried to get up but felt a stabbing pain on his right leg. His leg had a bandage where small spots of blood are visible.

“You shouldn’t stand up yet. Your leg hasn’t fully healed.”

“Whose there?”

The Black Hunter showed himself to Tottowi. He had a long silky black hair, his face looked a bit old but his smile made him radiant. His eyes are tired looking and there is a small scar on the bridge of his nose.

“Who are you?”

Tottowi asked the long slender man standing before him with a kind face. He also noticed the little boy hiding behind him.

“My name is Roberto, Roberto Fauntanel. I am known as the Black Hunter.”

Tottowi stood up regardless of the pain he felt and fiercely shouted at the Black Hunter the word murderer.

“I’m sorry if I caused you pain boy. However, you have to understand that you are on my ship and you are to obey the rules if you wish to stay alive. Shouting at me won’t make the pain you’re feeling right now go away.”

“Why am I here?” Tottowi asked calmly but still with a fierce look.

“You’re here because you need to live. As to why, it is up to you to find the answer. This vessel is going to Barcelona; you only have to suffer three days before you can never see me again. Max will guide you around the ship and help you with your assigned chores once you are able to walk.”

“Why should I do chores for you, I’d rather be locked up here for three days.”

“You shouldn’t talk to Black like that; if it weren’t for him you’d be dead!” Max who was hiding came out and shouted at Tottowi.

“That’s enough Max. Earn your food boy and be thankful.”

The Black Hunter left Tottowi with Max. Tottowi felt the pain radiating to his arm and could not stand anymore.

As his eyes closed Tottowi remembered the old man whose blood stained his clothes and his face. His last words were not to forget his cat.

“Ha! Milky!”

“Is milky the cat?”

Tottowi didn’t notice that Max didn’t leave and was a bit startled.

“Ye—yes. Do you know where Milky is?”

“That cat’s probably in the kitchen with my mother. Your cat loves fish you know and even though I threw it outside many times, that cat won’t give up and go back inside again.”

“It’s not my cat.” Tottowi closed his eyes again.

“Whose cat is it?”

Tottowi sighed,” It belongs to an old man.”

“Oh…” Max became quiet then talked again, “Do you want to see him?”

“The cat? No, I think it’ll be fine.”

“No, I mean the old man.”

Tottowi opened his eyes and looked at Max, “His alive?”

Max shook his head, “Black brought his body to the ship. His body is in one of the rooms upstairs. Black wanted to give him a proper funeral tonight.”

“Huh… I will never forgive him.”

Max who is just a boy could never understand the immense anger Tottowi is feeling. Though he shows his anger to the Black Hunter, to have someone killed right in front of him and not being able to do anything Tottowi is more angry with himself.

“How’s the kid Black?” Rex asked the Black Hunter who returned from visiting Tottowi.

“He is doing just fine. He practically has the strength to shout at me.”

Rex laughed hard, “You‘re insane Black, that boy will never forgive you for what you did to Olivon. You should have have just left him on that ship!”

Black smiled and sighed as he sat down, “Well, we’ll see after three days if something interesting will happen.”

Rex still laughed hard, “You’re getting old Black Hunter!”

That night Max helped Tottowi go upstairs to see the old man’s body. Outside on the ship, a simple wood casket is placed on the right side of the vessel ready to be thrown to the sea. Only the Black hunter, a fat woman and Rex were there.

Tottowi slowly opened the casket and saw a clean looking old timer, he wore a nice black suit and he looked peaceful, like he was sleeping. All the blood that Tottowi remembered was gone. After a few prayers lead by the fat woman, the Black Hunter with the help of Rex pushed the casket into the sea.

 “Goodbye Olivon! Bon voyage!” Rex shouted.

The Black Hunter left without talking to Tottowi, Rex followed him but looked at Tottowi with unpleasantness as he left.

“How are you doing my dear?”

The fat woman asked to Tottowi as she touched Tottowi’s cheeks with her warm hands.

“I’m doing fine, thank you.”

“Oh! You must be hungry already! You look pale! Oh! I forgot to introduce myself,” the fat woman chuckled and then Max spoke up, “This woman is my mother, forgive her for being a bit weird.”

“Max! I am sorry this boy grew up with these pirates. I suppose you can understand. Anyways, you can call me Rosa. I am the cook on this vessel. Whatever food you want, I can make it! Well except those really expensive ones,” she chuckled again.

Tottowi smiled to the funny fat woman who chuckle like a turkey and look like a turkey.

“Oh right! What’s your name?”

“Antonio but I’m usually called Tottowi.”

“That’s a nice name! Come let’s give you something to eat!”

Tottowi went with Rosa and Max to the kitchen, which was a mess. Everything was so unclean, the dishes were not washed, scraps of food are still on the table and the floor, and a smell was coming from a boiling pot.

“Oh! Those ravenous monkeys! I told them many times not to come in here!”

As Tottowi looked around, he saw Milky fighting her way into an oven that had a big fish inside.

“Milky! Come here,” Tottowi caught the cat and it struggled in his hands. Tottowi smiled and said, “You mustn’t eat too much you know, you’ll get fat and end up being called a Cow.”

Tottowi was not thinking when he said those words; Rosa and Max stared at him.

 “Oh! I didn’t mean anything about it Rosa!” Tottowi became embarrassed.

Rosa who was looking serious laughed.

“Oh it’s alright! I’ve been a cow for a long time since Max came!”

“Papa said you were already fat before I was born.”

“What? Why that good for nothing pirate!”

Tottowi laughed a bit, and Rosa joined him as well. Max on the other hand did not understand what was funny.

The next day Tottowi’s anger has lessened and he decided to help Rosa and Max in the kitchen. He washed the dishes and mopped the floor. Rosa taught him to cook a few recipes and it all ended up being eaten by fishes since Tottowi would forget certain ingredients. His right leg still hurt a bit but it was more manageable. Tottowi did not talk much to the pirates, there were around twenty of them overall. Max’s father Manuel is a nice pirate. He was good in making bombs; he showed Tottowi his collection and inventions. Tottowi had fun talking to him about chemistry and he learned a lot.

 After two days, Tottowi knows his way around the small vessel, and the many pirates on it. He has not seen the Black Hunter and he was thankful for it, he knows he would not be able to control himself.

After living with a bunch of thieves and killers, Tottowi was able to see a fun and good side of them. They had rules and policies that they must obey, through this they will not be able to steal too much and hurt innocent people. Well, except the old man whose name he found out was Olivon, he still could not help himself from thinking of the blood that spattered on his face as the gun shot him. Every time Tottowi sleeps, it was all he could think of.

On the third day, a strong wind blew. Tottowi woke up from the rushing footsteps. He hurriedly went upstairs to see what was happening. The morning sky looked like night and a storm, a very big storm was coming.

“Hurry it up!” Rex was on the top of the ship shouting to the other pirates. The sails were reeled down. Everyone is hurrying to get ready for the storm. All the sack of fruits that were outside the cabin were all put into the kitchen. Boxes of explosives were brought to the rooms.

“You!” Rex shouted at Tottowi, “Are you just going to look? Go and help them carry the other boxes inside!”

Tottowi hurriedly followed and tried to move one of the boxes but it was too heavy. It started to rain all of a sudden, thunder and lightning began and it was a bit scary. The small vessel started to move right and left. Water started getting in since the waves were big. Tottowi pushed the box with all his might, it moved slowly. The pirates were now all inside, Tottowi was left alone, Rex who came down from the pole saw him.

“Your still here? Hurry up or the waves will swallow you!”

Tottowi was having a hard time with the box filled with heavy cannon balls. Rex went to help him and they were able to carry it. They hurriedly went inside.

“I can’t believe you had a hard time carrying this!” Rex laughingly said, Tottowi was panting, it was just too heavy for him, he smiled embarrassingly to Rex.

“Rex! Have you seen Max?” Rosa asked Rex, she looked worried.

“No I haven’t actually, where did you last see him?”

“He went out to look for Milky and I haven’t seen him since! Manuel! Max is missing!” Rosa saw her husband and started crying. The storm outside is becoming stronger than ever like they were inside the mouth of a monster whose slowly chewing them.

Tottowi who was very worried rushed outside despite the warnings of the pirates. Rex followed him as well.

“Tottowi! You look at the front, I’m going out back!” Rex shouted.

“Okay!”

“Max! Max! Where are you? Max!” Tottowi started shouting. His voice was so tiny compared to the growling thunder. He shouted with his whole strength put into it. 

Though the thunder is very loud Tottowi could hear a tiny purr from a cat. He followed it and saw Milky hanging to dear life on the side of the ship. He took the freezing cat and put her inside his clothes, he looked into the water to see if Max fell, but the sea was so black there was no way to know if there was anyone there. Just as Tottowi shouted for Max, he heard someone shout at him, it was coming from the sea.

“Max! Is that you?”

“Tottowi! Get a rope! Hurry!”

The voice was not from Max, it was a deep and manly voice. It was the Black Hunter and as Tottowi searched for him he was able to see a fuzzy image, Max was with him. Tottowi ran as fast as he could into the cabin and told everyone what he saw. He asked for a rope and for help. Everyone rushed outside. They brought torches to be able to see clearer. They shouted to the Black Hunter and were able to find him. Tottowi threw the end of the rope and with the help of the others pulled them up into the ship.

Rosaclung to her son who passed out and cried hard. The others laughed with relief. Manuel thanked the Black Hunter.

“Don’t thank me, thank the boy. He found us.”

The other pirates shook Tottowi’s hair and thanked him; they praised his bravery and joyfully said that Tottowi should become a pirate. Rex who did not know what happened and was told by the others hugged Tottowi for saving not just Max but the Black Hunter himself.

By sunset, the storm went away. Max ended up with a fever and a scolding from her mother. The other pirates who were so happy with the passing of the storm started a merry feast. Tottowi who did not want to be forced to drink rum went outside.

Outside, the sky started to become clear, and it was orange. Tottowi saw Rex sitting on the small vessels balcony out in the front.

“Rex, what are you doing?”

Rex was cleaning his gold dagger again. He spit on it and wiped the spit with his own fingers. He raised the dagger up in the sky and looked at Tottowi’s reflection.

“You shouldn’t be too hard on Black; if it was me I wouldn’t have cared enough to shot Olivon.”

“What do you mean?”

“He shot Olivon to lessen his pain. That explosion must have caused severe damage to his body, you were only hit on your leg and the pain was already excruciating. Actually, Black even made some time to make a herb that would help you feel less pain. I do not know why he did so much just for you but let me tell you something, his not someone who does things for nobody. You must be someone important.”

All Tottowi could do was be silent. He did not know what to say. He left Rex and started to reflect on things. He thought that regardless of the reason why the Black hunter shot the old man, the fact is he killed someone, and he killed him right in front of him.

The next day, Barcelona can be seen not far from the pirate ship. Black Hunter ordered to remove their black flag and replaced it with a flag that has a symbol of the Spanish  Royal Guard. It seemed that the Black Hunter has another identity, Commander Roberto Fauntanel, head of the Spanish Royal Guard.

 Tottowi finished packing his things and said his goodbyes to the pirates, Rosa and Max. Max cried a bit since Tottowi was going to leave with Milky.

“You have to take care of her Tottowi!” Max said crying.

“Bring some food with you my dear,” Rosa gave Tottowi a bag filled with fruits and vegetables, “You’ll need a lot of energy,” she smiled.

“Thanks,” Tottowi smiled to the fat woman who was a bit teary.

As the small vessel arrive on the dock, Tottowi waved to the crew of the pirate ship, he was ready to leave when the Black Hunter whose hair was tied up cleanly with a hat on his head and wearing a magnificent robe that distinguish him as a Royal Guard talked to him.

“I know I told you that you’d only have to suffer three days before you’ll never see me again, but I think I was mistaken. This will not be our last meeting Tottowi, I get the feeling that someday somewhere, we will see each other again, and as I trusted you with my life, in the future you’ll slowly be able to trust me as well.”

Tottowi did not say anything. The Black Hunter or rather Commander Fauntanel left the ship first along with Rex who surprisingly was also a Royal guard. As the two went inside a carriage that was waiting for them, Tottowi shouted to the commander,

“Give me some time to trust you!”

The commander who listened smiled and ordered the coach to leave. Rex looked out the window and blinked at Tottowi.

Tottowi knows that it will be hard for him, but there is a bit of hope that someday he would be able to forgive and trust him though he doubt he will ever forget.